Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California, Proposal dividing it into 3

pcgame

California, Proposal dividing it into 3

http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html

The man who wanted to split California into six states now wants to make it into three

A Silicon Valley venture capitalist whose saw his dream to carve California into six separate states fizzle has returned with a slimmed down idea: this time, three states.

Tim Draper filed his proposed 2018 ballot initiative on Friday asking voters to split California into three new states: Northern California, California and Southern California.

"The citizens of the whole state would be better served by three smaller state governments while preserving the historical boundaries of the various counties, cities, and towns," Draper wrote in the initiative's statement of findings. He did not immediately respond to emails sent seeking comment.

Draper's plan would draw the northernmost dividing line from Santa Cruz County eastward to Mariposa County. The middle state, which would retain the name California, would be closer aligned to the coast and would place Los Angeles and Orange counties into separate states. The state of Southern California would run from Orange County to Mono County in the north and down to the border with Mexico.

The wealthy political tinkerer's 2014 plan would have created six separate states. Draper spent $4.9 million of his own money to collect signatures on the proposal, only to find too few of them were valid to qualify for the ballot before that year's deadline. In 2015, he promised to bankroll less ambitious ideas of others at reforming California's system of government. State campaign finance records show no contributions from Draper to any efforts that year.

There have been hundreds of efforts to dissolve California's long-standing borders since the state's inception in 1849. None, including Draper's new effort, spell out the complicated choices on water rights, economic benefits or border disputes.

Draper's new effort comes on the heels of a renewed campaign to allow California to secede from the United States. Its backers must also gather the needed signatures for voters to consider the proposal next November.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More senators from CA.

With lines drawn such that there would be 3 Democrat States and 6 Democrat Senators.

No thanks.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

cool, more self determination.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    cool, more self determination.
    More California Senators=LESS self determination.

CALExit.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

No. Way.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    With lines drawn such that there would be 3 Democrat States and 6 Democrat Senators.

No thanks.
    you don't think orange county to sandiego would be GOP?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    you don't think orange county to sandiego would be GOP?
    RINO maybe.

CALExit and we keep the red counties is the only good idea.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2...016/California

If ranked as its own country, California would be the 7th largest economy in the world. The golden state had a 2014 GDP of $2.312 trillion, following Latin American giant Brazil. Even at its massive size, California is still among the top ten states for fastest job growth. California offers a booming tech industry encouraging expansion, especially by IT companies within the state.

According to WalletHub, California also ranks number one in terms of venture capital invested in the state, tying with Massachusetts and New York. Though the rate of expansion may cool in the next year, California is still expected to outpace the nation through 2020 in terms of economic growth. According to Kiplinger, you can look for expansion from companies like Amazon, LeEco, and Cerebain Biotech in the Golden State.
    16% of the total GDP for the entire country.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2...016/California

Then they should do fine on their own.

Except they will destroy themselves once loose of the pesky constitution.

Do you know how much GDP they destroy in the rest of the country with their Reps and Senators?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Several reasons it won't happen. First, the Constitution.

Article 4 Section 3:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
    A ballot would require 50% of Californians to vote on it (only 42% turned out for the 2016 election).

55% of them would have to approve. Current polls show about 18% interested in the idea.

Next comes the state legislature approval.

Then you need a majority of Congress to approve.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-16-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

Good times.

RINO maybe.

Deal, win/win besides, how would they give extra senators if they become their own country?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Better Names:

Northern State = State of Jefferson

Central State = State of California

Southern State = State of Republica Del Norte
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    how would they give extra senators if they become their own country?
    They wouldn't, that is why CALExit is a good idea.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The article is WAY TOO VAGUE about the boundaries. However, it appears to be a liberal gambit by placing L.A. & the Bay Area into separate states.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! This dude expects Lassen and Butte Counties to be content being in the same state with Marin, Berkeley, Oakland, and San Francisco? And presumably Tulare and Kern Counties being happy to reside with Los Angeles? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about two states: A "Coastal" state from Humbolt County down just through L.A. County. Then all other counties form the other state.
    Last edited by anaconda; 09-17-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    The article is WAY TOO VAGUE about the boundaries. However, it appears to be a liberal gambit by placing L.A. & the Bay Area into separate states.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! This dude expects Lassen and Butte Counties to be content being in the same state with Marin, Berkeley, Oakland, and San Francisco? And presumably Tulare and Kern Counties being happy to reside with Los Angeles?

How about two states: A "Coastal" state from Humbolt County down to L.A. County (not including any of Orange County or anything more southerly). Then all other counties in the other state.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

My two state proposal nicely separates the progressives in CA from the conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    My two state proposal nicely separates the progressives in CA from the conservatives.
    So we get 2 RINO Senators AND 2 Demoncrat Senators? NOT a good idea.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Remember though, our goal with CALExit should be a return to the rule of sovereign states and citizens, not continued Balkanization. The idea's secessionist: let the citizens decide, let the states go. They're big enough to determine their futures and leave Nanny Statist's nest.

Remember though, our goal with CALExit should be a return to the rule of sovereign states and citizens, not continued Balkanization. The idea's secessionist: let the citizens decide, let the states go. They're big enough to determine their futures and leave Nanny Statist's nest.
    I wouldn't mind if all the liberals left and the rest of us stayed in the union and boosted states rights while diminishing federal power, we wouldn't want to let the liberals overpower individual conservative states by conquest a few decades from now.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Have citizens won states' sovereignty by staying in the Union? Cali libruls aren't the enemy, the federation is. I see the solution as a fight for sovereignty over our rights.

Have citizens won states' sovereignty by staying in the Union? Cali libruls aren't the enemy, the federation is. I see the solution as a fight for sovereignty over our rights.
    It could be done if we can get the liberals to leave, I won't however refuse any state that wants to leave, it is their right.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Take it and prosper.............

Just go.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Take it and prosper.............

Just go.
    Zactly... G'bye, Kalifornia.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I wonder if small nukes could be placed deep within the weakest north/south fault, then lure all the SJW's, Antifa and liberal lunatics to the west/coastal side of the fault (a Trump/Milo tour would probably work), then detonate the bombs to send the land mass out to sea.

That would be amaze-balls.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    I wonder if small nukes could be placed deep within the weakest north/south fault, then lure all the SJW's, Antifa and liberal lunatics to the west/coastal side of the fault (a Trump/Milo tour would probably work), then detonate the bombs to send the land mass out to sea.

That would be amaze-balls.
    Great minds think alike?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast