Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: San Diego Is Dousing Its Streets With Bleach to Contain Hepatitis A Outbreak

San Diego Is Dousing Its Streets With Bleach to Contain Hepatitis A Outbreak

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...eak-180964900/

SEPTEMBER 15, 2017 By Brigit Katz

The outbreak is primarily affecting the city’s homeless population

Since the Hepatitis A outbreak was identified in March, over 19,000 people have been immunized against the disease.

Earlier this month, California’s San Diego County declared a public health emergency over a rampant hepatitis A outbreak that has killed 16 people and sent 300 others to the hospital. Now, in an effort to curb the spread of the disease, the city of San Diego has started to douse its streets with bleach, Lindsey Bever reports for the Washington Post.

The majority of people affected by the outbreak are “are homeless and/or illicit drug users,” according to a statement from San Diego County’s Health and Human Services Agency. The disease is being spread through “contact with a fecally contaminated environment,” the statement adds. It is believed that a lack of public restroom access in areas where homeless populations congregate is in part to blame.

To combat the disease, workers in San Diego began washing downtown streets with diluted bleach earlier this week. As Merrit Kennedy of NPR reports, the process involves spraying bleach onto hazardous materials like needles and human waste, waiting ten minutes, removing the materials, spraying the area again and then pressure-washing it with water.

Workers are expected to finish the street cleaning process by Friday. After that, the city will continue to spray the streets with bleach every two weeks.

San Diego has also announced that 14 restrooms in Balboa Park, a popular location among the city’s homeless population, will be open 24 hours a day. The city’s efforts come in response to an August 31 letter by the County, calling on San Diego to wash its streets and expand public washroom access.

“By disinfecting our sidewalks and making additional public restrooms available 24/7, we’re following the direction of County health officials to address the unsanitary conditions that have helped fuel this outbreak,” Craig Gustafson, senior director of communications for Mayor Kevin Faulconer, tells Gary Warth of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “We’re taking swift action to eradicate this virus from our streets and keep our most vulnerable residents safe.”

The County has implemented a number of other containment measures. More than 19,000 people, including 7,300 at-risk individuals, have been immunized with hepatitis vaccinations. Dozens of hand washing stations are being installed in areas where homeless people gather, and 2,400 hygiene kits—equipped with sanitary materials like water, alcohol-free hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes—have been distributed.

Hepatitis A is a highly contagious liver disease that can cause a range of symptoms, including fever, jaundice, joint pain, stomach pain, vomiting and dark colored urine. In rare cases, it is fatal. According to the World Health Organization, the spread of hepatitis A is closely associated with poor sanitation and hygiene. The disease can be effectively controlled with the hepatitis vaccine.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gotta love California.

Only FIRE and BRIMSTONE can cleanse Sodom and Gomorrah.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

In 10 years, they'll be bleaching anybody outside after curfew.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Gotta love California.
    If you were homeless, wouldn't you like it if the average high in the summer was 74 and 69 in the winter? Average low of 62 in the summer and 58 in the winter? Rain less than 10 days a year?

If you had money, wouldn't you like those things too?

That is coastal Southern California. Just don't go more than 10 minutes inland, you may as well live in the desert.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-16-2017 at 12:38 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    If you were homeless, wouldn't you like it if the average high in the summer was 74 and 69 in the winter? Average low of 62 in the summer and 58 in the winter? Rain less than 10 days a year?

If you had money, wouldn't you like those things too?

That is coastal Southern California. Just don't go more than 10 minutes inland, you may as well live in the desert.
    I would definitely live there if I decided to go full hobo. That doesn't mean that I would $#@! all over the place.

Gotta love California.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The majority of people affected by the outbreak are “are homeless and/or illicit drug users,” according to a statement from San Diego County’s Health and Human Services Agency. The disease is being spread through “contact with a fecally contaminated environment,” the statement adds. It is believed that a lack of public restroom access in areas where homeless populations congregate is in part to blame.

To combat the disease, workers in San Diego began washing downtown streets with diluted bleach earlier this week. As Merrit Kennedy of NPR reports, the process involves spraying bleach onto hazardous materials like needles and human waste, waiting ten minutes, removing the materials, spraying the area again and then pressure-washing it with water.
    And I'm a racist and a "hater" because I don't want my small town to turn into this...hepatitis infections running amok because of disease infected bums $#@!ting in the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    How apropos - a fictional character making a fictional "point."

Aside from the obvious strawman, which is of course that nobody anywhere ever said any such thing, the vaccinated percentage of the homeless population is obviously lower than it needs to be to prevent outbreaks of Hep-A. But they'd rather waste hundreds of thousands of dollars contaminating their environment that pass out a $13 vaccine.

Those people can't die off soon enough to suit me.

Math and science are hard. Stick with other stuff, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And I'm a racist and a "hater" because I don't want my small town to turn into this...hepatitis infections running amok because of disease infected bums $#@!ting in the streets.
    They want us to be India, where everybody has a college degree while living in micro-housing in filthy conditions

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That's the problem. I don't want to live anywhere that attracts homeless people. I don't want to live next to a mission any more than I want to live in San Diego.

Aside from the obvious strawman, which is of course that nobody anywhere ever said any such thing, the vaccinated percentage of the homeless population is obviously lower than it needs to be to prevent outbreaks of Hep-A. But they'd rather waste hundreds of thousands of dollars contaminating their environment that pass out a $13 vaccine.

Many homeless are veterans, meaning that in the past they were required to take every vaccine know human kind. Many homeless are frequent flyers at mental health facilities, meaning that they were very likely given vaccinations to both protect the staff and ensure the health of their patient during their stay. And this is all aside from the obvious, which is that most all the passerby's are likely up to date on their vaccinations because they live in California and are likely raging statists.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They want us to be India, where everybody has a college degree while living in micro-housing in filthy conditions
    Don't forget $#@!ting in the streets like animals:

And so the Boomers have come full circle; they've brought everything India to Murka.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Many homeless are veterans, meaning that in the past they were required to take every vaccine know human kind. Many homeless are frequent flyers at mental health facilities, meaning that they were very likely given vaccinations to both protect the staff and ensure the health of their patient during their stay. And this is all aside from the obvious, which is that most all the passerby's are likely up to date on their vaccinations because they live in California and are likely raging statists.
    And as much as America is a first world nation with sanitation and vaccines, what this story ignores is that these outbreaks originate with recent immigrants from south of the border working in food prep.

A friend and I both got a case of some kind of awful stomach disorder from Robertos in San Diego...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lesson learned: San Diego's a filthy place all around, thanks to Californians appetites for dirty D, as well as the Boomer and Mexican cultures premium on $#@!ting in streets and on their hands. Its a very open-minded state, because everyone's got amoeba chewing their brains.

$#@! you, coastal Murka.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 09-16-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Lesson learned: San Diego's a filthy place all around, thanks to Californians appetites for dirty D, as well as the Boomer and Mexican cultures premium on $#@!ting in streets and on their hands. Its a very open-minded state, because everyone's got amoeba chewing their brains.

$#@! you, coastal Murka.
    Thats kind of my take-away.

And taking public transportation or riding a bicycle. (if you ever actually have to leave your self-enclosed utopia)
    "The Patriarch"

Local news says it has spread to Santa Cruz and Oakland.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

$#@! you, coastal Murka.
    Well, this is because Jim Carrey refuses to go back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Portland and Seattle next.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Despite my earlier snark, it turns out they are offering free vaccines and setting up vaccine clinics. This is a disease that typically runs it's course leaving no lasting effect in most people. Sort of like polio, measles chicken pox, mumps, etc. So really, the anti-vaxers should be saying *only* 16 people died so far.

So you think that we are going to pollute the environment by spraying diluted bleach on the streets? yea, that chemical compound that parents use to disinfect their baby's eating utensil and used in hundreds of thousands of swimming pools in the US is what is going to pollute our environment? So yea, science when combo-ed with ignorance is very hard

And what is with the hyperbolic, sensational tone of the article? why use dousing and washing when describing the process of spraying dilute bleach on the street? This is not going to kill anyone. Sodium hypochlorite is a fairly safe compound that is of very little harm to the environment and the compound would generally disintegrate into its harmless component elements after being used in the environment.

The people who wrote this article are trying to scare you with bleach because they think that most people reading it did not completed college chemistry.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Not racist, more like paranoid if you asked me. How the hell did you even make a connection with race and the OP story? sometimes, I am amazed at how some of you people can make the connection with everything bad and awful in this world to race. If there was an Olympics for that, you would take all the gold medals

Lastly, nobody is going to call you a racist for trying to avoid disease carrying street bums. That is the good news, the bad news is that I think this irrational believe that people are going to call u a racist for normal behaviour is just your conscience fu*king with you.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The people who wrote this article are trying to scare you with bleach because they think that most people reading it did not completed college chemistry.
    Every man a king chemist, Comrade? No, the article's drawing the readers' attention from the actual population to blame.

You've missed the point, Comrade. Sandy Dego's targeting all the wrong bums - Hep A became an epidemic through the food handlers. California's filthier every year, and many are obviously disgusting, unhygienic street $#@!ters, but there's another population who don't wash. I'm not even an epidemiologist, and its obvious they're the ones spreading the outbreak.

Put that race card back in your hand, Comrade.

Every man a king chemist, Comrade? No, the article's drawing the readers' attention from the actual population to blame.

You've missed the point, Comrade. Sandy Dego's targeting all the wrong bums - Hep A became an epidemic through the food handlers. California's filthier every year, and many are obviously disgusting, unhygienic street $#@!ters, but there's another population who don't wash. I'm not even an epidemiologist, and its obvious they're the ones spreading the outbreak.

Put that race card back in your hand, Comrade.
    Like the homeless are food handlers. Sure. And they eat in restaurants a lot too. Must be how they got it.

(nationwide there are usually less than 20,000 cases a year).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-16-2017 at 12:14 PM.

It turns out that they are actually washing and/dousing the street with dilute bleach.

But still not the scary environmental population some of us would like you to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Like the homeless are food handlers. Sure. And they eat in restaurants a lot too. Must be how they got it.

(nationwide there are usually less than 20,000 cases a year).
    This can happen in any major city.

They have put up washing stations and been offering HepA vaccines.

Would there be a "free market" solution to this problem? What would people suggest?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast