Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 97 Million Full-Time Workers Are Now Living Paycheck to Paycheck

Exclamation 97 Million Full-Time Workers Are Now Living Paycheck to Paycheck

97 Million Full-Time Workers Are Now Living Paycheck to Paycheck

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/perso...fO6?li=BBnbfcN

A staggering number of full-time workers are living paycheck to paycheck

According to the latest survey, conducted on CareerBuilder's behalf by Harris Poll, 78% of U.S. full-time workers are now living paycheck to paycheck, up from 75% in 2016, to make ends meet. If we utilize full-time employment data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2016 (123.8 million full-time workers), it means about 97 million of those full-time workers are living paycheck to paycheck. That includes 23% who said they always lived paycheck to paycheck, 17% who claimed they usually do, and 38% who noted that they sometimes do.

What was particularly interesting about CareerBuilder's survey is that well-to-do individuals weren't free of financial issues. Roughly 9% of workers making $100,000 or more annually was living paycheck to paycheck, and 59% of these highest-income folks were carrying around debt. In the middle-income to middle-upper-income bracket of $50,000 to $99,999 in annual income, 28% were living paycheck to paycheck, and 70% were in debt.

Debt itself proved to be a major issue for a majority of workers, regardless of their income -- and it's a big reason workers are struggling to save money. Just 19% of workers surveyed admitted to saving more than $501 monthly, while at the other end of the spectrum, 56% were saving less than $100 a month, including 26% with no monthly savings whatsoever.

When questioned, less than a third (32%) of respondents admitted to following a detailed monthly budget, and a number of respondents refused to give up certain luxuries, despite their financial woes. For example, 54% refused to give up their internet connection, 53% wouldn't give up their mobile device, and 48% wouldn't stop driving, to lower their monthly expenses and save money.

In all, the American labor force is in a sad state, financially.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Meanwhile, in other news:

U.S. Women Control the Purse Strings

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...e-strings.html

Women have tremendous spending power in America today—and it’s growing. Market estimates about their total purchasing power varies, ranging anywhere from $5 trillion to $15 trillion annually. And the scope of that spending is notably vast. Fleishman-Hillard Inc. estimates that women will control two-thirds of the consumer wealth in the U.S. over the next decade and be the beneficiaries of the largest transference of wealth in our country’s history—compelling insight for anyone curious about who’s keeping the U.S. economy going these days.

In addition to handling the bulk of the purchasing decisions for consumer goods in the U.S., they’re also likely to influence or manage many other big ticket purchases—homes, autos, appliances, furniture, etc.—not to mention a large portion of the apparel, groceries and everyday purchases.

Just how they want things.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

And in more, other, news:

In recent elections, voter turnout rates for women have equaled or exceeded voter turnout rates for men. Women, who constitute more than half the population, have cast between four and seven million more votes than men in recent elections. In every presidential election since 1980, the proportion [of] female adults who voted has exceeded the proportion of made adults who voted.

https://www.thoughtco.com/more-likel...or-men-3534271

The U.S. is now over $20 trillion in debt

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/her...ebt-2017-03-30

And in more, other, news:

In recent elections, voter turnout rates for women have equaled or exceeded voter turnout rates for men. Women, who constitute more than half the population, have cast between four and seven million more votes than men in recent elections. In every presidential election since 1980, the proportion [of] female adults who voted has exceeded the proportion of made adults who voted.

https://www.thoughtco.com/more-likel...or-men-3534271

The U.S. is now over $20 trillion in debt

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/her...ebt-2017-03-30

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Meanwhile, in other news:

U.S. Women Control the Purse Strings

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...e-strings.html

Women have tremendous spending power in America today—and it’s growing. Market estimates about their total purchasing power varies, ranging anywhere from $5 trillion to $15 trillion annually. And the scope of that spending is notably vast. Fleishman-Hillard Inc. estimates that women will control two-thirds of the consumer wealth in the U.S. over the next decade and be the beneficiaries of the largest transference of wealth in our country’s history—compelling insight for anyone curious about who’s keeping the U.S. economy going these days.

In addition to handling the bulk of the purchasing decisions for consumer goods in the U.S., they’re also likely to influence or manage many other big ticket purchases—homes, autos, appliances, furniture, etc.—not to mention a large portion of the apparel, groceries and everyday purchases.
    In other news, correlation doesn't equal causation. What more and more people living pay cheque to pay cheque has to do with women having more spending power is beyond me. Btw, there are also more women in society than me, women might make up more of the grocery, back to school shopping runner etc but the majority of the time, it is still the men that control the money.

In terms of earning, men still make way more than women and no I don't think it is due to gender pay discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    In terms of earning, men still make way more than women and no I don't think it is due to gender pay discrimination.
    Small compensation...

The typical male U.S. worker earned less in 2014 than in 1973

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...-than-in-1973/

The typical man with a full-time job–the one at the statistical middle of the middle–earned $50,383 last year, the Census Bureau reported this week.

The typical man with a full-time job in 1973 earned $53,294, measured in 2014 dollars to adjust for inflation.

Small compensation...

The typical male U.S. worker earned less in 2014 than in 1973

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...-than-in-1973/

The typical man with a full-time job–the one at the statistical middle of the middle–earned $50,383 last year, the Census Bureau reported this week.

The typical man with a full-time job in 1973 earned $53,294, measured in 2014 dollars to adjust for inflation.
    Well, there are more women in the work force in 2914 than they were in 1973. Some of the industries men dominated have downsized and industries women dominated have seen growth. But the bigger question is this, how is any of this women's doing?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I let Mrs O buy the important stuff like toilet paper and bandaids . I let her use her money so she feels empowered.

When questioned, less than a third (32%) of respondents admitted to following a detailed monthly budget, and a number of respondents refused to give up certain luxuries, despite their financial woes. For example, 54% refused to give up their internet connection, 53% wouldn't give up their mobile device, and 48% wouldn't stop driving, to lower their monthly expenses and save money.
    I wouldn't consider webbernet so much a "luxury" anymore. Plenty of employers assume you have ready access to it, and using public wi-fi isn't safe for certain things. Plus many companies are nowadays just putting their product manuals on the webbernets because it's cheaper and easier. I suspect a "luxury" connection would be part of a cable TV bundle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

What was particularly interesting about CareerBuilder's survey is that well-to-do individuals weren't free of financial issues. Roughly 9% of workers making $100,000 or more annually was living paycheck to paycheck, and 59% of these highest-income folks were carrying around debt. In the middle-income to middle-upper-income bracket of $50,000 to $99,999 in annual income, 28% were living paycheck to paycheck, and 70% were in debt.
    You don't say? How could that be?...

Sunnyvale Home Sells For $782,000 Over Asking Price
    September 13, 2017

SUNNYVALE (CBS SF) – Even in the real estate craziness of the Silicon Valley, the sale of a modest four-bedroom home in a quiet Sunnyvale neighborhood has stirred up quite a buzz.

While it’s not unusual for bidding wars to erupt over homes in the Bay Area and over-asking offers are more the norm than the exception, what happened at 1129 Prunelle Court has raised the anxiety of many home buyers.

The home was listed for $1,688,000 and when it finally closed seven days later, it sold for $2,470,000. Bidding for the home had become quite heated as 20 different buyers put in offers.
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...19540393_zpid/
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-14-2017 at 12:36 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    crazy.
    You probably thought it would be a mansion or something.

This is a beachhead for wealthy immigration from Asia. Some pay cash, others have no problem taking out massive loans, as their backup plan is to flee back home if prices drop. Part of it is the job market, but more than anything it is overcrowding.

Ironically, the local leftists blame this on jobs and high tech companies. While that is part of the reason for increased demand, they completely ignore immigration as a cause. They would rather not have jobs.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-14-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

crazy.
    I could buy that here 70 - 85 or less be my guess .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    You probably thought it would be a mansion or something.

This is a beachhead for wealthy immigration from Asia. Some pay cash, others have no problem taking out massive loans, as their backup plan is to flee back home if prices drop. Part of it is the job market, but more than anything it is overcrowding.

Ironically, the local leftists blame this on jobs and high tech companies. While that is part of the reason for increased demand, they completely ignore immigration as a cause. They would rather not have jobs.
    This is just not true, first of all it is not easy for foreigners to get mortgage from American banks and in the even they get one, I bet they are made to put down a good down payment on the house. Now if your argument is that these Asian investors after putting in 30% or so on an overpriced house and after fixing it up to their standards would quickly abandon their new house and leave it up to the banks when prices start to drop, why is any different from what most American family would do when they are underwater on their property and more importantly, why is this a bad thing? I ask this question cos from your posting about this subject, you make it sound like it is bad for the community.

This mindset that immigrats bringing in foreign investment to your country is somehow bad for the community needs to end.

In all, the American labor force is in a sad state, financially.
    Not for the super rich, which I will be someday
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The take away for me is that there is actually 123 million full time workers. MAGA!

This is just not true, first of all it is not easy for foreigners to get mortgage from American banks and in the even they get one, I bet they are made to put down a good down payment on the house. Now if your argument is that these Asian investors after putting in 30% or so on an overpriced house and after fixing it up to their standards would quickly abandon their new house and leave it up to the banks when prices start to drop, why is any different from what most American family would do when they are underwater on their property and more importantly, why is this a bad thing? I ask this question cos from your posting about this subject, you make it sound like it is bad for the community.

This mindset that immigrats bringing in foreign investment to your country is somehow bad for the community needs to end.
    You have no evidence that it is not true. I have seen it first hand during the last housing bubble. Chinese H1-Bs bragging about how many houses they had accumulated via no money down loans. When it burst, they just went back to China.

And yes, housing being treated like a commodity and speculation driving prices through the roof is bad for a community. Money spent on on oversized mortgages can not be spent in any other part of the economy. The point of this thread is that many people live paycheck to paycheck, and huge mortgages and high rents are some of the reasons.

Zippy 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The take away for me is that there is actually 123 million full time workers. MAGA!
    That is almost 80% of the labor force.

You have no evidence that it is not true. I have seen it first hand during the last housing bubble. Chinese H1-Bs bragging about how many houses they had accumulated via no money down loans. When it burst, they just went back to China.

And yes, housing being treated like a commodity and speculation driving prices through the roof is bad for a community. Money spent on on oversized mortgages can not be spent in any other part of the economy.
    The point of this thread is that many people live paycheck to paycheck, and huge mortgages and high rents are some of the reasons.
    Disagree. A house is a durable good. Outside FED and gov'ment manipulation, "good" is subjective. Higher market prices are "good" for existing home owners-especially those who want to borrow against the value of the home or sell soon.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Disagree. A house is a durable good. Outside FED and gov'ment manipulation, "good" is subjective. Higher market prices are "good" for existing home owners-especially those who want to borrow against the value of the home or sell soon.
    and move to Mars?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    and move to Mars?
    Move to an apartment. Not everyone is cut out for home ownership. I'm not myself, ATM. It's expensive to buy in the first place and expensive to maintain. One of the reasons for the housing bubble was precisely because people who should've been renting were getting approved for McMansions.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    How many of those are tax tick "workers" though?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not good for renters and people who want to buy. Everyone needs a place to live. This is not like tulips being too expensive. And once again, money that goes to rent can not be spent in the rest of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    and move to Mars?
    Exactly, it's a net wash for existing home owners who want to move. The new home likely will be even more expensive than the existing one.

I had a recent talk with someone on how times are hard for employees, seemingly more so than before.

One mid 40s guy was working full time advanced life support paramedic for years. Decided the $15 per hour pay wasn't enough and went to work at a box store, along with working full time as a paramedic. The box store, a Home Depot, started as part time. He's a hard worker, got a number of their Employee recognition bonuses or whatever they're called. He found after a year of work the prospect of full time was more of a carrot than actually achievable. He put out his resume again and is starting at a new company next month full time, better pay and insurances. He mentioned something like over a hundred resumes and a few months on job sites. Things have been tight around his house.

I don't know how the average European gets to take 4+ weeks vacation, I don't know many people around here who could easily afford to do that even if their job would allow that.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Not good for renters and people who want to buy. Everyone needs a place to live. This is not like tulips being too expensive. And once again, money that goes to rent can not be spent in the rest of the economy.
    Sure. But as you know, prices don't go up forever in a freed market. Last I checked, an apartment is a place to live. Money going into mortgages also can't go into the rest of the economy, you know.

Sure. But as you know, prices don't go up forever in a freed market. Last I checked, an apartment is a place to live. Money going into mortgages also can't go into the rest of the economy, you know.
    You don't say? Oh yeah, I did say.

Money spent on on oversized mortgages can not be spent in any other part of the economy.

Sure. But as you know, prices don't go up forever in a freed market.
    Well that point my be relevant in a freed market, but alas we don't live in one. Prices will forever go up with an inflationary monetary system.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Well that point my be relevant in a freed market, but alas we don't live in one. Prices will forever go up with an inflationary monetary system.
    Yup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast