Thread: New research claims Type 2 diabetes CAN be reversed by a low calorie diet

New research claims Type 2 diabetes CAN be reversed by a low calorie diet

Type 2 diabetes can be reversed by simply going on a low calorie diet, according to new research.
    Researchers at Newcastle University found that consuming just 600 calories a day for eight weeks can reverse the condition caused by excess fat in the liver and pancreas.
    More than 3.5 million people in Britain have Type 2 diabetes – up more than 70% in just a decade.
    The new study shows that excess calories lead to a fatty liver, which causes the liver to produce too much glucose.
    The excess fat is then passed on to the pancreas, which causes the insulin-producing cells to fail and thus causing diabetes.
    Researchers found that losing less than one gram of fat from the pancreas can re-start insulin production, reversing type 2 diabetes.
    This reversal of diabetes remains possible for at least ten years after the onset of the condition.

More at: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/new-resear...085732954.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Uh, you don't have to reduce ALL calories, just carbs..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Exactly.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

The author of the study has been working on this for 40 years. But of course you and the high school drop out right below you know better.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/2...elp-diabetes#1

While agreeing that carbohydrate restriction helps people with type 2 diabetes control their blood sugar, ADA spokesman Nathaniel G. Clark, MD, tells WebMD that the ADA does not recommend very low-carb diets because patients find them too restrictive.

"We want to promote a diet that people can live with long-term," says Clark, who is vice president of clinical affairs and youth strategies for the ADA. "People who go on very low carbohydrate diets generally aren't able to stick with them for long periods of time."
    If your gut reaction is to start a response that contains the word "I" then don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/2...elp-diabetes#1

If your gut reaction is to start a response that contains the word "I" then don't bother.
    Oh come on, that is horse $#@! angela..

I'm sorry, but just think about what you are saying first.

You are promoting the idea that a low carb diet is more restrictive than a 600 calorie/day diet??? Really?

I can eat over 2,000 calories a day when I'm on my low carb diet, how is that restrictive? Because I can't eat $#@!ing donuts and pizza? Give me a break..

I don't care if the author has been working for over 40 years, obviously they are wrong, we have had this information for at least 10-20 years, the author is 10-20 years behind the actual science.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

You are promoting the idea that a low carb diet is more restrictive than a 600 calorie/day diet??? Really?

I can eat over 2,000 calories a day when I'm on my low carb diet, how is that restrictive? Because I can't eat $#@!ing donuts and pizza? Give me a break..

I don't care if the author has been working for over 40 years, obviously they are wrong, we have had this information for at least 10-20 years, the author is 10-20 years behind the actual science.
    Does a low carb diet CURE T2 diabetes or just CONTROL it?

This study claims to have found a CURE with 600 calories a day for eight weeks.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The author of the study has been working on this for 40 years. But of course you and the high school drop out right below you know better.
    Forty years and lots of grant money I suppose. Not to mention, they don't want to reverse something that Big pHARMa is making a killing on.

https://robbwolf.com/2017/01/05/why-...ics-the-truth/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Does a low carb diet CURE T2 diabetes or just CONTROL it?

This study claims to have found a CURE with 600 calories a day for eight weeks.
    CURE

You have insulin levels, blood sugar and insulin resistance. Insulin resistance increases from too many carbs and sugars over long periods of time, causing t2 diabetes which is when your blood sugar skyrockets too high after eating carbs.. that's because your insulin resistance is too high. You can decrease insulin resistance by eating low carb over time.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-13-2017 at 04:22 PM.

I am big fan of keto. I have been doing it for the last few months combined with intermittent fasting. A 600 calorie diet (no matter what you eat) is basically fasting and it going to have a similar effect as a low carb diet. You are going to be burning fat for fuel most of the time instead of burning through glucose. Fasting and a low carb diet are basically two sides of the same coin.

I am usually skeptical of random doctors making claims but this book is amazing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6D0LCK...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I am big fan of keto. I have been doing it for the last few months combined with intermittent fasting. A 600 calorie diet (no matter what you eat) is basically fasting and it going to have a similar effect as a low carb diet. You are going to be burning fat for fuel most of the time instead of burning through glucose. Fasting and a low carb diet are basically two sides of the same coin.

I am usually skeptical of random doctors making claims but this book is amazing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6D0LCK...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    That is correct, a fasting diet is low carb.. but it is unnecessary to eat an extreme low calorie diet and fast to cure diabetes.. Now, you can fast, there is nothing wrong with it, but people who want to cure their diabetes and want to eat actual food while doing so can do that as well. It is actually much easier to fast once you are on a low carb diet and you are in fat burning mode... hard to convince someone who is on a high or moderate carb diet to fast or eat low calorie.

You can go whole plant based without having to restrict carbs (just eat complex carbs) and still reverse diabetes as well. As with all diets though you have to stick with it.