The Senate will weigh in on Sen. Rand Paul's push to sunset two war authorizations, a vote that follows the Kentucky Republican's threat to grind an annual defense bill to a standstill.

Senators will hold a vote on Paul's amendment to sunset the 2001 and 2002 Authorizations for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) on Wednesday.

Paul wants to attach a six-month sunset of the two war bills to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). The 2001 AUMF passed in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, while the 2002 AUMF authorized the Iraq War..

However, Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), one of the Senate's most vocal proponents of a new war authorization, said on Tuesday that he would support Paul's push. "I am supporting Senator Paul's amendment. I think it is way past time—way past time—for Congress to take this up and for everybody to be on the record. I think our allies need to know whether Congress supports the American military missions currently under way," Kaine said.

A spokesman for Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) said she would also vote in favor of Paul's proposal. And Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) announced on the Senate floor that he would support it.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...s-war-proposal