Thread: How do you use the internet securely?

How do you use the internet securely?

This isn't all that easy of a question and there very well might be a need for some give and take, but a few questions for those on here that might care more about personal privacy more than other places.....

Which internet browser do you use? What about for email....do you use anything to encrypt your emails? Are there any other areas which deserve focus....I welcome comments and questions. thanks

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have nothing to hide. The first amendment still protects us all. The site does not even use HTTPS - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...RPF-yet-Admins. You should take your question to a bit more paranoid crowd.

I 'can' use PGP encryption for e-mails, but no one else I communicate with uses it, so it's kind of pointless. It should be at least required by banks, insurance agents, or anyone else dealing with personal data. But I do subscribe to a privacy focused e-mail service (Kolabnow).

I use Private Internet access for a VPN and Signal for messaging on my iPhone. I chose an iPhone over Android since Apple's business model is more privacy minded than Google's. I've tried using Firefox, but it's becoming so unbearably slow that I come back to Chrome unfortunately.

My goal is to become completely free of Google and to gas my facebook account when the time is right.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    My goal is to become completely free of Google and to gas my facebook account when the time is right.
    Famous last words.

STEP 1:

When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Imo, you need a VPN first and foremost. If you don't have a large budget I'll recommend Private Internet Access. You can buy a year subscription for $40. For browser I use Firefox. Find out how to edit the privacy settings in about:config. For an email client I would use Thunderbird and encrypt with PGP. Your contacts are also going to need pgp if you plan on having secure email.

What operating system do you use and do you use a smartphone as well?
    If you use instant messaging a lot I would recommend encrypting that as well. You can go pretty deep, it just depends on how much privacy you need.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

I like VPN's but I don't want to make the NSA's life any harder than it has to be to keep me safe.

Is there any kind of backdoor I can install on my computer to let NSA have easy access to my activity?

edit: Nevermind, I think Windows already comes with this feature. Thanks!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I've tried using Firefox, but it's becoming so unbearably slow that I come back to Chrome unfortunately
    Have you tried Firefox lately? The last 3 or 4 builds they have been working on performance and I believe more improvement is coming in October.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southron View Post
    Have you tried Firefox lately? The last 3 or 4 builds they have been working on performance and I believe more improvement is coming in October.
    Hmm...it does seem better. I'll give it a whirl, thanks!
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

There is nothing wrong with firefox. If it is running slow, then you have something else going on with your computer.

#1 - VPN, as mentioned above, privateinternetaccess.com
    #2 - Ad Block the $#@! out of every $#@!ing tracker. Do NOT use AdBlock Plus. It is now useless and allows ALL Google ads and tracking. Use this.
    #3 - Block as many ads as you can. Look for an Ad Blocking DNS Server. Advertisers seem to think that Privacy is the antithesis of Profits.
    #4 - Firefox
    #5 - Firefox Add Ons. Again, do NOT use Ad Block Plus. DO use things like NoScript and Request Policy.
    #6 - Firefox about:config - Look for Lockdown Mode, and tweak it so you get a balance between security and functionality
    #7 - Spybot Search and Destroy - Newer versions have gotten worse, but the Browser Hardening is still useful
    #8 - Anything Microsoft needs to go away
    #9 - SHOW your File Extensions. It is VERY helpful to see if the type of file is a .ini or .cfg or .jpg or .exe or .mp3 This keeps you from accidentally running BrittneyVirusMP3.exe
    #10 - YOUR BRAIN - Mostly this is common sense. If you have to sign up to download something, find another download source.

And one last Bonus, you know how the MSM is now all about "THE DARK WEB"? Yeah, we also have a name for it. Its called THE INTERNET. It is nothing more than a marketing ploy to keep you on a handful of select sites. Make every other site out there "scary". Guess what, RonPaulForums.com IS in the "The Dark Web". Well, parts of it are. If you ask MSNBC, they would tell you to stay away from this site because it directs traffic and people and profits to their own. Dark Web is just more fear mongering.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Get Brave browser and protonmail