Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Height Matters: heightist privilege

All Height Matters: heightist privilege

Old, but just brought to my attention toady...
    http://diverseeducation.com/article/87919/

All Height Matters: Implicit Bias and Unearned Privileges

October 10, 2016 |

by Robin L. Hughes

A student asked me, “What does implicit bias look like? Give me some examples.”
    Everyone is impacted by implicit bias — Secretary Clinton assured us during the first debate this year. Many of us have visited the Implicit Bias website, taken the exam, and were stunned by the results. Implicit bias discussions assume that we all know that racism is a part of the very cultural fabric in which we live in the United States. Racism goes unnoticed, ignored, or denied.
    Implicit bias suggests that racism becomes much like the air in which we breathe … normal. What does normal look like? I used my own height privilege to describe to the student what implicit bias, or unearned privilege, might look and feel like.
    Dr. Robin L. Hughes

I am tall and I know that I am afforded certain privileges just for being tall. Most leaders of corporations, both public and private, are tall. That reinforces my potential career trajectory. Of course I am a dean and more than likely could become a college president. I have the unearned privilege of height to assist me. Height is a sign of power and authority.
    Height privilege sends clear messages to tall people that they possess something special in terms of leadership capabilities and perhaps general intelligence. My height adds significantly to my lifetime earning potential. In fact, that is exactly what I have come to know from research.
    My height privilege tells me every day that this world complements and appreciates my height in very explicit and implicit ways. People assume that, because one is tall, they are great at sports, even if they never played or were not good at any sport. You do not have to be that good; you just have to be tall. And, if you never played, that is OK, because you would have been good, because you are tall. In fact, most athletes in most sports are tall. Models are tall. Models are pretty. The unearned privilege of height is ubiquitous. Sometimes pretty, good looking, handsome also mean tall.
    JOSE FIERRO

Oh it’s great to be tall. Tall people are complimented because they have long limbs. A normal part of my day includes, “I wish I had your long legs!” People naturally assume that I can jump higher, and run faster — after all, I am tall.
    I am complimented on my nice hands, soon followed by the comment that, if I wanted to, I could become a great piano player. I am so lucky! I can carry unwanted weight without much consternation. I am also forgiven when I am overweight, because “I carry it well.” I wear clothing, it never wears me, and I rock what I do wear is the clear message. When I miss on an outfit, it certainly has nothing to do with me — it’s a design flaw. And while I may struggle to find pants long enough, there is not one week that goes by where someone does not compliment the fact that I have long limbs that are a blessing from the spiritual world. Thank goodness.
    I feel great about my height most days — well, every day. There is something to be said for looking above others’ heads at most events and venues. Those constant internal and external positionalities have certainly sent subtle psychological messages to me since birth. Visits to the doctors were all about my height and how proud they were of me for having added yet another inch to my height. I did not have to do much to get that inch other than eat healthy, get enough sleep, and just be tall.
    I have lived within a very positive metanarrative centered around being tall throughout my entire life. When my family, father (6’6”), brothers (6’4”) and (6’8”), mother (5’8”), and my sister and I hovering at 6’ entered a restaurant, folks would stop and stare. We all felt good. I know that I did. Those stares assured me that I was something extra, more so than the other “regular” families who were having dinner. The waiters complimented us on looking powerful, good, and asked us if we “were someone.” Of course we are, I would think, we are tall.
    Auburn: White Nationalist Paying Rent, Security for Speech

Even today, friends tell me that I command a room. That has everything to do with my unearned height privilege. In fact, I do not worry when I walk into a room late. I rarely ask for forgiveness because of my lateness or interruption. I have come to understand that my height excuses me from tardiness. My height privilege provides me with an unearned confidence across the board. Being tall and the privilege that comes with my height are rooted firmly in the core of my existence. It just feels right, and I cannot think of existing for one second without my height privilege.
    Height matters — I feel great.
    Unearned privilege, implicit bias, and institutionalized racism work in much the same way as unearned height privilege. Race, like height, is central to our everyday interactions and sends tightly coupled and clear messages to each of us daily. Height privilege affords those who are tall with unearned privileges based on a system that rewards society’s construction of “tall.”
    How we construct race is also a powerful system of privilege that benefits individuals and groups based on the color of one’s skin.
    Dr. Robin L. Hughes is interim executive associate dean in the School of Education and Faculty Athletic Representative at Indiana University.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Being tall is slavery, all the short people constantly asking you to get $#@! for them off the top shelf because they "can't reach"
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Most leaders of corporations, both public and private, are tall.
    That is because tall people are better leaders. Tall people are more intelligent, and tall people have more of the other qualities one wants in a business leader.

Unless anyone wants to take up a banner to argue on behalf of "market failure."

Hmm? Anyone?

Short people got no reason to live.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    That is because tall people are better leaders. Tall people are more intelligent, and tall people have more of the other qualities one wants in a business leader.

Unless anyone wants to take up a banner to argue on behalf of "market failure."

Hmm? Anyone?
    But Napoleon!
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I agree, it’s great to be tall. (Well, relatively speaking. I'm taller than average but not too tall.) And I don't even mind getting things from the top shelf for people at the grocery store.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

It's why Rand could never be a great leader. Throw away your votes.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Short people got no reason to live.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I'm 5 foot 9 ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Eh, another glass-half-empty whiner versus someone who takes advantage of what they have.

Shorter people generally live longer than taller people. Taller people can have more accidents. Taller women fracture their hips more than shorter women. It's harder to bend, twist, and move in certain ways when you're taller. That's an advantage in some sports: gymnastics, skiing, diving, skating, etc. And do you ever see really tall old people?

Women's expectations with taller men are often dashed because most of those taller men are not going to proportionally measure up in the johnson department. I also don't know of any guys who are disappointed because their well built girlfriend was only 5'2".

And the perception thing might not last long after introductions and superficialities are out of the way. Taller people are not smarter than shorter people, so taller people might dash the expectations of those who thought they hired, dated, etc. a taller person for that reason.

If you're really short, then you can buy clothes in the cheaper kids' department.

Probably a bunch of other stuff you can find. Bottom line for me--if you can't take advantage of an opportunity, then maybe you should lay that on yourself instead of other people.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 09-08-2017 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Eh, another glass-half-empty whiner versus someone who takes advantage of what they have.

Shorter people generally live longer than taller people. Taller people can have more accidents. Taller women fracture their hips more than shorter women. It's harder to bend, twist, and move in certain ways when you're taller. That's an advantage in some sports: gymnastics, skiing, diving, skating, etc. And do you ever see really tall old people?

Women's expectations with taller men are often dashed because most of those taller men are not going to proportionally measure up in the johnson department. I also don't know of any guys who are disappointed because their well built girlfriend was only 5'2".

And the perception thing might not last long after introductions and superficialities are out of the way. Taller people are not smarter than shorter people, so taller people might dash the expectations of those who thought they hired, dated, etc. a taller person for that reason.

If you're really short, then you can buy clothes in the cheaper kids' department.

Probably a bunch of other stuff you can find. Bottom line for me--if you can't take advantage of an opportunity, then maybe you should lay that on yourself instead of other people.
    Was nodding my head in approval until you said that. Come on, do you really think anyone is happy because they get to pick their adult cloths from the kids rack?

Also, I have heard that tall people generally are have more confident that short/average size people because they experience handling attention and perceived responsibility than their shorter peers.

Trivia knowledge, did you know the Dutch not the Kenyans are the tallest people in the world(average) and their women on average have the biggest natural boobs in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    I'm 5 foot 9 ish.
    Myself as well , but I used to be two inches taller.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Come on, do you really think anyone is happy because they get to pick their adult cloths from the kids rack?
    My wife lovvvves clothes. I buy them as gifts. She is shorter than average. If I can buy the same cotton jersey in the kids dept., then I'm happy because I saved money.

Trivia knowledge, did you know the Dutch not the Kenyans are the tallest people in the world(average) and their women on average have the biggest natural boobs in the world.
    Well, you'll have to provide some visual evidence, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

edit:dupe

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Probably a bunch of other stuff you can find.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    My wife lovvvves clothes. I buy them as gifts. She is shorter than average. If I can buy the same cotton jersey in the kids dept., then I'm happy because I saved money.
    She loves clothes from the kids department?

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Probably true. Trump is tall.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I see a lot of shorter people over compensate wrt physical fitness and in their profession. So, maybe not such a bad thing. With machinery/robots...maybe being big and strong has less importance. Though it did help us defeating those scrawny little Injuns.
    Last edited by Danke; 09-08-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Yep. My son is 6'5"..had a catastrophic fall. Never been able to buy many clothes off the rack. Not particularly confident.

I'm 6' 7". To whom should I grovel and beg for their forgiveness for my privileged position in life? Everyone under a certain height? Or everyone shorter than I am? I'm not too good with the social justice nonsense, so I'll need some guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    But Napoleon!
    And a variety of 19th century "tycoons."

The only tall one was J.P. Morgan, who wasn't a self-made man (see: England).

Anyway, all that said, I don't look down on the short, totally don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I see a lot of shorter people over compensate wrt physical fitness and in their profession. So, maybe not such a bad thing. With machinery/robots...maybe being big and strong has less importance. Though it did help us defeating those scrawny little Injuns.
    I am working on a treaty for most of minnesota , the art of the treaty . Time to bring those Santee home to minnesota and arm them , get that place straightened out .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    I'm 5 foot 9 ish.
    Me too.

blatant lie.
    I'm only 5'.

"L wish I were big just once."

Actually, it really would be nice to reach stuff on the top shelves.
    Sometimes I make my husband stoop down to my level and try to reach stuff on the shelves, just so he sees what I have to go through.
    He laughs and laughs...

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    I'm 6' 7". To whom should I grovel and beg for their forgiveness for my privileged position in life? Everyone under a certain height? Or everyone shorter than I am? I'm not too good with the social justice nonsense, so I'll need some guidance.
    To me. And while you are here, I need to get some stuff from the top shelf of the closet.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

It is important now because we live in the TV age. Height gives the appearance of power. This is why Dukakis didn't stand a chance. They manipulated the podiums to make him look taller, just like they did for Hillary. It didn't work for Jeb, I notice.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I have to sit sideways at tables when I eat out. Only way I can put my legs under a table is if I lift it up with my knees. Seems like everything is made for shorter people. Everything.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-08-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I have to sit sideways ate tables when I eat out. Only way I can put my legs under a tble is if I lift it up with my knees. Seems like everything is made for shorter people. Everything.

Sorry, I'm not laughing at your pain.
    But, I am.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    To me. And while you are here, I need to get some stuff from the top shelf of the closet.
    Ok, fine. I'll be right there. It's the least I can do. It won't assuage my guilt, but it's something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast