Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equifax Hacked - 143 Million Users Data Exposed

Equifax Hacked - 143 Million Users Data Exposed

Yeah that sucks. What's the point of even keeping your data like SSN secret anymore?

https://apnews.com/694a86732e074d4a9...&utm_medium=AP

ATLANTA (AP) — Credit monitoring company Equifax says a breach exposed social security numbers and other data from about 143 million Americans.

The Atlanta-based company said Thursday that “criminals” exploited a U.S. website application to access files between mid-May and July of this year.

It said consumers’ names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some cases, driver’s license numbers were exposed. Credit card numbers for about 209,000 U.S. consumers were also accessed.

The company said hackers also accessed some “limited personal information” from British and Canadian residents.

Equifax said it doesn’t believe that any consumers from other countries were affected.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting!
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Well that was a major security breach $#@! up. It's gonna cost them, anyone smell class action lawsuit?

Let's see if there's msm reports in the near future about major "identity theft" cases arising out of this...

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Let's see if there's msm reports in the near future about major "identity theft" cases arising out of this...
    Fortunately equifax helps consumers protect themselves against identify theft.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Probably worth buying Symantec for a pop. They are the parent company of Lifelock.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Probably worth buying Symantec for a pop. They are the parent company of Lifelock.
    Haha there's a Lifelock commercial on tv right now. Such a load of bull$#@!. "Your" credit, "your" identity, "your" credit cards, etc.

Equifax Breach is Very Possibly the Worst Leak of Personal Info Ever

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/09...onal-info-ever

The breach Equifax reported Thursday is very possibly is the most severe of all for a simple reason: the breath-taking amount of highly sensitive data it handed over to criminals. Dan Goodin of ArsTechnica writes:

By providing full names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and, in some cases, driver license numbers, it provided most of the information banks, insurance companies, and other businesses use to confirm consumers are who they claim to be. The theft, by criminals who exploited a security flaw on the Equifax website, opens the troubling prospect the data is now in the hands of hostile governments, criminal gangs, or both and will remain so indefinitely. Hacks hitting Yahoo and other sites, by contrast, may have breached more accounts, but the severity of the personal data was generally more limited. And in most cases the damage could be contained by changing a password or getting a new credit card number. What's more, the 143 million US people Equifax said were potentially affected accounts for roughly 44 percent of the population. When children and people without credit histories are removed, the proportion becomes even bigger. That means well more than half of all US residents who rely the most on bank loans and credit cards are now at a significantly higher risk of fraud and will remain so for years to come. Besides being used to take out loans in other people's names, the data could be abused by hostile governments to, say, tease out new information about people with security clearances, especially in light of the 2015 hack on the US Office of Personnel Management, which exposed highly sensitive data on 3.2 million federal employees, both current and retired.

Meanwhile, if you accept Equifax's paltry "help" you forfeit the right to sue the company, it has said. In its policy, Equifax also states that it won't be helping its customers fix hack-related problems.

Bloomberg reported on Friday that a class action seeking to represent 143 million consumers has been filed, and it alleges the company didn't spend enough on protecting data. The class-action -- filed by the firm Olsen Daines PC along with Geragos & Geragos, a celebrity law firm known for blockbuster class actions -- will seek as much as $70 billion in damages nationally.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    how do we hold them responsible, sue them out of business?
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Seriously... If you add up all the major breaches that have happened in recent past, there isn't a person left in the country that doesn't have ALL their personal/banking info on the web for sale somewhere.

Your Credit/Debit Cards
    Your SSN
    Your DOB
    Your Medical History
    Your Credit History
    Your Bank Accounts
    Your Retirement Accounts

It's ALL been breached.

- Diogenes of Sinope

70 billion divided by 143 million minus attorney fees equals about 20 bucks per person.... hehe

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    70 billion divided by 143 million minus attorney fees equals about 20 bucks per person.... hehe
    Ya but most people will probably signup for their 1 year free service..

I didn't know people's SS changed every year.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Jan2017

They call us Equifax "customers",
    but those credit reporting agencies collect (steal) all that info (even if erroneous) that we don't really give them ourselves, usually.

PSA: no matter what, Equifax may tell you you've been impacted by the hack

In what is an unconscionable move by the credit report company, the checker site, hosted by Equifax product TrustID, seems to be telling people at random they may have been affected by the data breach.
    I started noticing most people who'd tested out the site in my Facebook and Twitter feeds had been given the message that they may have been part of the millions who's information was affected. It stood to reason that was likely, given the scope of the leak would affect possibly one out every two people I know in the country.
    However, I then decided to try it out for myself. First, I entered my real information...and received the bad news.
    View photos

"Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident," the site said.
    I was then encouraged on the next line to continue my enrollment in TrustedID Premier. I was not aware I was enrolling in anything simply by giving my information. I had been instructed to add my last name and the last six digits of my Social Security number only to find out if I'd been impacted.
    So then I decided to test the system with a different last name and six random numbers. I used the more popular English spelling of my last name for this purpose, entering "Burr" instead of "Buhr" and entered six random numbers I don't even remember now.
    View photos

Sure enough, this made-up person had also been impacted. I tried it over and over again and got the same message. The only time I did not get the message I'd been impacted was when I entered "Elmo" as the last name and "123456" as my Social Security number.
    Some of my colleagues also tried to fool the system and came up with different outcomes. Sometimes, after entering a made-up name, the site said they had been impacted. A few times it said they were not.
    Others have tweeted they received different answers after entering the same information.
    The assignment seems random. But, nevertheless, they were still asked to continue enrolling in TrustID.
    What this means is not only are none of the last names tied to your Social Security number, but there's no way to tell if you were really impacted.
    It's clear Equifax's goal isn't to protect the consumer or bring them vital information. It's to get you to sign up for its revenue-generating product TrustID.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/psa-n...010153057.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The last I knew the law says any credit card breach could be a fine of up to $10,000 each. When that went into effect I stopped housing my customer's credit cards and went with a 3rd party.

Since then all these big breaches have only paid a few bucks per card. They must keep those laws on the books for the little companies.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Haha there's a Lifelock commercial on tv right now. Such a load of bull$#@!. "Your" credit, "your" identity, "your" credit cards, etc.
    https://mfi-miami.com/2016/09/rudy-giuliani/
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    [h=1]
    It's clear Equifax's goal isn't to protect the consumer or bring them vital information. It's to get you to sign up for its revenue-generating product TrustID.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/psa-n...010153057.html
    Or to get you to agree to some change in legal terms of credit use. Perhaps both. They stick stuff into the Agreements, knowing people will be spooked by the news and won't read the Agreement they are binding themselves to. I'll go read the Agreement to see what fresh $#@!ery is in it. Definitely not agreeing to it though!

eta: I didn't notice anything too egregious, though the terms do require that "You" again accept that the information contained in the report is "you", instead of the truth that the all capital letter name and SS# are not you at all and are instead various bank and government property.
    Last edited by devil21; 09-12-2017 at 12:31 PM.

It was bound to happen. And worse will no doubt, progress sucks and the digital age sucks on a whole new level.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Funny how the Equifax bosses all sold millions in stock before the info went public, then they have the balls to say 'it's not related'

- Diogenes of Sinope

Funny how the Equifax bosses all sold millions in stock before the info went public, then they have the balls to say 'it's not related'
    It isn't as blatantly obvious as people are making it out to be. http://openinsider.com/search?q=efx I wouldn't be surprised if the breech factored into their decision but I don't see anyway it could be proven.

3 people sold shares and all three had been selling previously. The CFO sold 14,000 shares in May then 6500 three days after the breech was discovered. Usually there are set windows for people to sell. 3 people had sold on the same date in August but 6 had sold on the same day in March. One of those people has been exercising options frequently going back to 2014. I count 5 insider sales from the third person.

eeeeyep.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Researcher Kenneth White discovered a link in the source code on the Equifax consumer sign-in page that pointed to Netscape , a web browser that was discontinued in 2008.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb.../#16c4618a677c
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Netscape predicted Planet X doom?

I put this in another thread, but its so good I'll crosspost it.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/susan-m-93069a/

http://www.marketwatch.com/(S(rnrsyd...cer-2017-09-15
    I was tipped off to this by a contact on Twitter. There has been very little coverage so far of Susan Mauldin’s background and training. Given the ongoing disaster of the hack and Equifax’s handling of the affair, the media spotlight has so far been elsewhere.

Reporting by a few tech-savvy blogs has found that as soon as the Equifax data breach became public, someone began to scrub the internet of information about Mauldin.

Her LinkedIn page was made private and her last name replaced with “M.” Two videos of interviews with Mauldin have been removed from YouTube. A podcast of an interview has also been taken down.

Unhappily for the scrubbers, the internet archives some material and a transcript of one interview has survived .
    Last edited by specsaregood; 09-15-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

This is starting to look more and more like criminal negligence. The security vulnerability that was exploited was patched in March by Apache but not applied by Equifax.

https://threatpost.com/equifax-confi...breach/127975/
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Wow, Tim has had a really tough week.. first the Ted Cruz twitter scandal, now this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast