Thread: Woman (Attorney) Arrested For Not Talking To Police, Wins Settlement

Default Woman (Attorney) Arrested For Not Talking To Police, Wins Settlement

You should never talk to the cops. Everybody knows that there is a “right to remain silent,” but it generally takes a lawyer to take that knowledge to its logical conclusion and counsel people to never talk to the cops.

That same advice goes for lawyers too, but we don’t always follow it. What with a full understanding of our rights, sometimes we feel more empowered than anyone to banter and argue with police. It’s not like some police officer is going to trick us. And besides, cops can be very intimidating.

Philadelphia lawyer Rebecca Musarra stuck to her basic training, even as the cops harassed and eventually arrested her. She was stopped in 2015. She gave over her license, registration, and insurance. But when the New Jersey state trooper started in with the banal, “Do you know why I stopped you?,” she said nothing. Not a peep. He asked her again and again, but like a soldier under enemy interrogation, she refused to break.

Eventually the cop asked her to get out of her car. Only then did she say, “I’m a lawyer, I don’t have to answer your questions.” And then nothing again as he handcuffed her and took her to jail.

She spent a little time in a holding cell before a supervising officer let her go.

This week, she settled with New Jersey for $30,000.

Article.
    Last edited by Created4; 09-06-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    Uncensored Health Freedom News:
    http://healthimpactnews.com/

Yes, I believe the science of vaccines is settled - Zippyjuan Team

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Another article reveals the Attorney General represented the State Troopers.

A spokesman for the Attorney General's Office, which represented the troopers in the civil case, declined to comment.

Reading her Miranda rights to her after arresting her is a nice touch.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The right to remain silent is such a blatantly obvious basic right but we have this

Under the settlement, the state admits no wrongdoing.
    wtf. They should not have settled then. Stay out of New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    The right to remain silent is such a blatantly obvious basic right but we have this

wtf. They should not have settled then. Stay out of New Jersey.
    That point seems to still be in dispute according to the second source:

The agreement, reported Wednesday by NJ Civil Settlements, which provides a partial list of settlements paid by New Jersey government agencies, was reached in July but has not yet been approved by a judge.

However, Musarra said she received a different letter from the Office of Professional Standards, the division's internal affairs unit, indicating its investigation substantiated her complaints.

Capt. Brian Polite, a State Police spokesman, said he could not comment on any correspondence between Musarra and internal investigators. He said, however, that the troopers involved "were given additional training regarding criminal arrests" after the incident.

A spokesman for the Attorney General's Office, which represented the troopers in the civil case, declined to comment.