Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Calls a Wrap on $3.8 Billion Summer, Worst Since 2006

Exclamation Hollywood Calls a Wrap on $3.8 Billion Summer, Worst Since 2006

The fact that most all of Hollyweird has spent the last year screaming in the face of roughly half their audience that they are essentially despicable, deplorable, disgusting human beings and should die as quickly as possible, had nothing at all to do with it.

Hollywood Calls a Wrap on $3.8 Billion Summer, Worst Since 2006

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rst-since-2006

By Anousha Sakoui
    and Megan Durisin

September 4, 2017, 12:39 PM EDT

The credits have rolled on Hollywood’s worst summer in a decade, closing out with a dismal Labor Day weekend that was the first in a generation without a big, new movie opening in wide release.

The summer drew a little more than $3.8 billion in sales, the first time the season’s tally has dipped below the $4 billion mark since 2006, according to Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at researcher ComScore Inc. The holiday weekend generated about $99.5 million in U.S. and Canadian theaters from Friday through Monday, the least since 1998, according to Comscore data.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Easy fix. Stop making $#@!ty movies, reboots, sequels, and instead offer us up some new fresh and innovative ideas that actually entertain us!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Obama probably would have started on working on a bailout for them . Trump would just offer to buy it all for 10k .

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Easy fix. Stop making $#@!ty movies
    ...pretty much sums it up.

Easy fix. Stop making $#@!ty movies, reboots, sequels, and instead offer us up some new fresh and innovative ideas that actually entertain us!
    With the internet, they no longer have a monopoly on entertainment. I quit going right about the time the last Harry Potter came out, I think. Hollywood elites literally insult conservatives on a regular basis. Why would I continue to fund them?

What??? You're not just dying to see a Batman 're-imagining' with a black transgender Brucilla Wayne??? Say it ain't so!

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    What??? You're not just dying to see a Batman 're-imagining' with a black transgender Brucilla Wayne??? Say it ain't so!
    Jaws where Hooper is a black man, Martin Brody a lesbian Asian, and Quint a 110 lb white chick who could kick 25 men's asses at a time after being the first female graduate of Navy SEAL training, and instead of being sunk on the Indianapolis was attacked by a misunderstood shark on an eco-tour of the Great Barrier Reef.

They don't kill the shark, but tranquilize it and fly it to new home off the coast of Costa Rica.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Exactly.

Big money in Hollywood always wants to make the huge success that was just made. The good news is that true innovators now have a chance at turning out some good films.
    There is no spoon.

The Dark Tower is a perfect example of this. I've been a big King fan and a Tower junkie for 25 years or so, and was ecstatic to hear the film was being made.... Then Hollywood went all Hollywood and liberals liberaled...

Dumbed down version of a masterpiece designed to appeal to dimwitted SJWs.
    Last edited by Wooden Indian; 09-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Indian View Post
    The Dark Tower is a perfect example of this. I've been a big Kin fan and a Tower junkie for 25 years or so, and was ecstatic to hear the film was being made.... Then Hollywood went all Hollywood and liberals liberaled...

King is a dim-witted SJW. I used to buy all his books - hardback, as soon as they came out. When he started using social media to insult me, I stopped. I sold all the SK books I had. I really have no interest is reading anything of his ever again. Even The Stand.

The Dark Tower is a perfect example of this. I've been a big King fan and a Tower junkie for 25 years or so, and was ecstatic to hear the film was being made.... Then Hollywood went all Hollywood and liberals liberaled...

Yup. Will not see.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    King is a dim-witted SJW. I used to buy all his books - hardback, as soon as they came out. When he started using social media to insult me, I stopped. I sold all the SK books I had. I really have no interest is reading anything of his ever again. Even The Stand.
    Yup. Will not buy or read.

Happily it flopped, big time.

Schadenfreude deluxe edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Champuckett View Post
    Schadenfreude deluxe edition.
    Nailed it!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't social media, thank God and outside of his struggles with addiction and his accident, I know little about his personal life.

When I said King fan, I should have specified, I'm a fan of his work.

Just curious, what was he going on about in social media?

The major problem with the Dark Tower isn't it being made to appeal to "dimwitted SJWs." The problem with that movie is that it is a sprawling complex story that transverse dimensions, time, and history, combining sci-fi, magic, and pop culture in crazy ways. It is impossible to make into a movie.
    Last edited by PierzStyx; 09-05-2017 at 11:57 AM.

I don't social media, thank God and outside of his struggles with addiction and his accident, I know little about his personal life.

When I said King fan, I should have specified, I'm a fan of his work.

Just curious, what was he going on about in social media?
    King is a pretty typical New England Democrat. Me, I don't care. I don't read books because of the politics of the author anymore than I watch movies because of the politics of the actors and actresses. I honestly find this modern day obsession about what some actor or author says on Twitter or Facebook to be fairly dumb. I just read Revival, which was fantastic. Very Lovecraftian. And my enjoyment of that book has nothing to do with whether King voted for Obama or Romney or Hillary or Trump. That is just irrelevant.
    Last edited by PierzStyx; 09-05-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Big money in Hollywood always wants to make the huge success that was just made.
    This is just completely untrue.

In 2004, Mel Gibson had to make his own distribution company to distribute a 30 million dollar film that grossed over 600 million, because nobody would touch it.
    Hollywood's response? A full decade years later, they didn't even cast him as the character he spent 3 movies in, despite the fact that he was the obvious choice, and despite the fact that Tom Hardly-in-the-movie was the worst part of the film.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

With the internet, they no longer have a monopoly on entertainment.
    This is a part of the real answer of why Hollywood made less money than expected this year. TV also has had some excellent long form productions as well. People are getting their entertainment in so many more ways than in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    King is a pretty typical New England Democrat. Me, I don't care. I don't read books because of the politics of the author anymore than I watch movies because of the politics of the actors and actresses. I honestly find this modern day obsession about what some actor or author says on Twitter or Facebook to be fairly dumb. I just read Revival, which was fantastic. Very Lovecraftian. And my enjoyment of that book has nothing to do with whether King voted for Obama or Romney or Hillary or Trump. That is just irrelevant.
    Agreed on Revival. Very Lovecraftian, as you put it. Dr. Sleep, Mr. Mercedes, Duma Key, all good recent reads too.

And DTK should have been a 3 part series, so that it could span the vast SK multiverse. Instead, they they rewrote it into 90 minutes of "don't think too hard" subpar action, helmed by a black Roland, for no other reason than to court liberal Millennials and replace the old Western Clint Eastwood image with a shiny new black dude.

Nothing to do with SJWs my backside.

The only movie I had any interest in seeing was the The Dark Tower movie but the reviews weren't good, and I'm more critical than most reviewers, so 2017 has seen exactly 0 movies I feel like seeing more than a 1.50 at redbox, and half of those weren't worth the 1.5 either. Hollywood is garbage art. 1 out of a 100 movies was worth the effort making it, IMO. I find myself watching old 50's movies and liking them better.

I don't think I have ever read a Stephen King novel. Have not seen a movie in the theatre. Snippets of movies on TV.

Hollywood has the opportunity to put their own point of view out there unopposed, and it's not marketable. Too bad for them.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    This is just completely untrue.

In 2004, Mel Gibson had to make his own distribution company to distribute a 30 million dollar film that grossed over 600 million, because nobody would touch it.
    Hollywood's response? A full decade years later, they didn't even cast him as the character he spent 3 movies in, despite the fact that he was the obvious choice, and despite the fact that Tom Hardly-in-the-movie was the worst part of the film.
    Actually that is proving my point.

The reason Mel was ostracized is because he dared to direct & produce a film that Big Film told him "no" on. He was told NO on The Passion of Christ, that no one would want to see a stupid Christian movie, and to move on. He defied this, paid for it with his own money, made a huge success, and then became hated by Hollywood elites as they tried to throw him into the abyss.

The Passion of Christ was called "antisemitic"; Mel was set up several times by Big Money (got him drunk etc.), his words were taken out of context and were used to "prove" the antisemitic BS. Every little thing that could be found about him, from a quarrel to oversleeping was highly publicized and used to promote his "evilness".

The fact that Mel has lived through all this and is back on the top of the charts (Hacksaw Ridge) is because he's a fighter and did not weaken his stance.

One of my fav Tubes- Robert Downing Jr at the Golden Globes telling how Mel saved his life & is the reason Downing was standing there receiving an award:

There is no spoon.

So, I can pack the family in a car and go watch one movie for $60 (if I'm lucky). With no "pause" for bathroom breaks. And I have to go on their timetable.

Or I can get quality new release movies and shows on Netflix for $10/month?

Hmmm... I wonder why the old business model is failing...
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Actually that is proving my point.

The reason Mel was ostracized is because he dared to direct & produce a film that Big Film told him "no" on. He was told NO on The Passion of Christ, that no one would want to see a stupid Christian movie, and to move on. He defied this, paid for it with his own money, made a huge success, and then became hated by Hollywood elites as they tried to throw him into the abyss.

The Passion of Christ was called "antisemitic"; Mel was set up several times by Big Money (got him drunk etc.), his words were taken out of context and were used to "prove" the antisemitic BS. Every little thing that could be found about him, from a quarrel to oversleeping was highly publicized and used to promote his "evilness".

The fact that Mel has lived through all this and is back on the top of the charts (Hacksaw Ridge) is because he's a fighter and did not weaken his stance.

One of my fav Tubes- Robert Downing Jr at the Golden Globes telling how Mel saved his life & is the reason Downing was standing there receiving an award:

Yup, and Hacksaw Ridge was the last movie I watched on the big screen because I knew Mel would make that experience worth it. And he did. Incidentally it was also the last movie I can remember seeing in which the audience, as a whole, left the theater 'shell shocked.'

Hollywood has been morally and creatively bankrupt for a very long time. No real class acts like the ones from yesteryear. Grant, Mitchem, Stewart, Wayne, Heston, Douglas, de Havilland, Hayward, Reynolds, Katharine Hepburn, etc...

There is only a handful of creative people in Hollywood today, and Mel Gibson, Sylvester Stallone are a couple that come to mind.
    Last edited by donnay; 09-05-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

pcgame

didn't read posts in this thread

anyway, hollywood does not have monoply on entertainment anymore

If I wanted to make a movie or a series I would either go on youtube and start a patreon or go to netflix. I would cut out the movie theater or normal television.

this is a good thing, and it would be nice to see people outside the hollywood establishment to make movies and shows

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    If it's simply a question of "I disagree with you politically, and here is why", that is one thing.

If, on the other hand, it's something along the lines of this:

"Republicans don't believe in the imagination, partly because so few of them have one, but mostly because it gets in the way of their chosen work, which is to destroy the human race and the planet. Human beings, who have imaginations, can see a recipe for disaster in the making; Republicans, whose goal in life is to profit from disaster and who don't give a hoot about human beings, either can't or won't. Which is why I personally think they should be exterminated before they cause any more harm." -- The Village Voice's Michael Feingold
    Then $#@! them.

Why would you put one dollar in the pocket of someone who, quite seriously, wants you exterminated?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast