Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 89

Thread: Hollywood Calls a Wrap on $3.8 Billion Summer, Worst Since 2006

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Hollywood has been morally and creatively bankrupt for a very long time. No real class acts like the ones from yesteryear. Grant, Mitchem, Stewart, Wayne, Heston, Douglas, de Havilland, Hayward, Reynolds, Katharine Hepburn, etc...

    There is only a handful of creative people in Hollywood today, and Mel Gibson, Sylvester Stallone are a couple that come to mind.
    Actually there are still tons of talented & creative people in Hollywood- it's just that the industry is so big these days, that you see a lotta mediocre stuff as well.

    And those are all actors that you mentioned- not directors/writers/producers.

    Some actors in today's cinema are fantastic- just underrated. Brad Pitt is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood because he's a pretty boy. He has also produced some outstanding films, in which most people have no idea he was even involved.
    There is no spoon.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32

    Default

    Hollywood's migration from feature film to streaming "television" format has been underway a good bit longer than the SWJ agenda and/or conservative bashing propaganda of relatively recently. It's part of Agenda 21 model, keeping people at home to get conditioned to less freedom of movement, particularly in the cities where majority of theaters are. The Aurora incident and subsequent theater shootings (Louisiana was another iirc) was part of the psyop to make people not want to go to theaters, to stay home instead and intake much more propaganda through Netflix, et al. Same reason as proliferation of home delivery of meals, online shopping home delivery, online clothing "rental" businesses, etc. The point is to condition people to self-sheltering-in-place.

    Also, the feature film studios and production companies are doing just fine but they're shifting their focus to Chinese movie-goers instead of the US. Interesting things that happen as an empire winds down, no?
    Last edited by devil21; 09-05-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

    Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

    Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

    Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks Fishing Boat Rentals

  4. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    And those are all actors that you mentioned- not directors/writers/producers.
    Terry Gilliam makes his movies in Europe.
    David Lynch had the good sense to tell everyone in Hollywood to go $#@! themselves back in 1984.
    Besides Mel, there are only three directors whose work I would bother to see based just on name: Chris Nolan, Tarantino, and Spielberg.
    And the only reason for that is because they have all figured out how to play the money game in addition to making movies that people with two eyebrows would want to see.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

  5. #34

    Default

    Wife just reminded me of the Cohen brothers, who have done great things in the past, but their version of True Grit was both a remake, and awful.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

  6. #35
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cleaner44's Avatar


    Blog Entries
    4
    Posts
    7,732
    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    With the internet, they no longer have a monopoly on entertainment. I quit going right about the time the last Harry Potter came out, I think. Hollywood elites literally insult conservatives on a regular basis. Why would I continue to fund them?
    My thoughts too. I have a friend/client that told me he purposely doesn't spend money with Hollywood and I thought that made a lot of sense. I don't thin I have been to the movies since that conversation.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

    I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

  7. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    What??? You're not just dying to see a Batman 're-imagining' with a black transgender Brucilla Wayne??? Say it ain't so!
    Brucilla Wayne!?!?! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    1776 > 1984

    The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintian an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

    The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

    You are Ron Paul's Media!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

  8. #37

    Default

    Hollywood is just doing bad because they are failing to adapt to the market. They are missing huge demographics of people. If you go to the movies all you see are a bunch of old people. They've finally built some higher quality theaters in my city which has brought some people back, but the movies they are coming out with are not bringing people in.

  9. #38

    Default

    One of my mother's favorite stories growing up was Anne of Green Gables. She started watching the Netflix version, only to quit in the first season, because apparently their version was loaded with what I'd call gritty, edgy Presentism. Lesbians, suicides, homicides, anti-woman preachers, etc. ... She's like me now, all she watches are This Old House and the occasional nature show.




    became




    If this crap is what happens when Hollyweird get Valerian and Laureline wrong, all I can say is the new DUNE should kill somebody's career. When it comes to movies these days, it doesn't even matter what the directors want, if they're any good or not, the studio boss and their editors have the final word. Its always been that way, but this batch must be the most dependent and dullest tools in theater history - which is probably saying something. Men like Victor Fleming and Stanley Kubrick could write, wrangle the studios, direct their actors, and keep us entertained.

  10. #39

    Default

    “Dear Christians, if you support @realDonaldTrump’s decision to end DACA your Christianity is bull$#@!. But on the other hand $#@! you.” - Danny Zucker - TV producer.
    Or this guy...why should I put a single dollar in the pocket of this $#@!, who just told me to go $#@! myself?

  11. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Or this guy...why should I put a single dollar in the pocket of this $#@!, who just told me to go $#@! myself?
    Kind of like Mark Zuckerberg calls the people on facebook dumb F--ks

    Reference:
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/0...ok_trust_dumb/
    "Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
    "Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
    "To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
    "People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

  12. #41

    Default

    Why should any of these $#@!s get a pass?

    Some working stiff at Screwgle writes a truthful, factual memo and gets lambasted around the globe, loses his job, reputation and privacy and these privileged pretend players get to scream in my face 24/7 with no negative repercussions?

    $#@! them and $#@! their "entertainment", most of which is just thinly disguised political programming anyway.

  13. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Indian View Post
    Agreed on Revival. Very Lovecraftian, as you put it. Dr. Sleep, Mr. Mercedes, Duma Key, all good recent reads too.

    And DTK should have been a 3 part series, so that it could span the vast SK multiverse. Instead, they they rewrote it into 90 minutes of "don't think too hard" subpar action, helmed by a black Roland, for no other reason than to court liberal Millennials and replace the old Western Clint Eastwood image with a shiny new black dude.

    Nothing to do with SJWs my backside.
    Duma Key is one of my favorites. I have been meaning to read the Mr. Mercedes books, too. Just need to get around to them.

    I wouldn't say the only reason Idris Elba was cast as Roland was because he was black. Elba is a fantastic actor. he has the chops for the role. The problem with the movie is, as you mention, they tried to do too much in too little time. Dark Tower just doesn't translate well into movies. They should have made a mini series out of it, a la Game of Throne or American Gods. Have each book be 4 to 6 episode seasons. It would've been fantastic.
    “Maybe I forgot to mention something to you: I don’t believe in queens. You think freedom is something you can give and take on a whim. But to your people, freedom is as essential as air. And without it, there is no life. There is only darkness.” -Zaheer

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

    "There are three things the parasite hates: free markets, free will, and free men."-Andrew Ryan

  14. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Actually that is proving my point.

    The reason Mel was ostracized is because he dared to direct & produce a film that Big Film told him "no" on. He was told NO on The Passion of Christ, that no one would want to see a stupid Christian movie, and to move on. He defied this, paid for it with his own money, made a huge success, and then became hated by Hollywood elites as they tried to throw him into the abyss.

    The Passion of Christ was called "antisemitic"; Mel was set up several times by Big Money (got him drunk etc.), his words were taken out of context and were used to "prove" the antisemitic BS. Every little thing that could be found about him, from a quarrel to oversleeping was highly publicized and used to promote his "evilness".

    The fact that Mel has lived through all this and is back on the top of the charts (Hacksaw Ridge) is because he's a fighter and did not weaken his stance.

    One of my fav Tubes- Robert Downing Jr at the Golden Globes telling how Mel saved his life & is the reason Downing was standing there receiving an award:

    That is a fantastic video. Thanks for sharing it.
    “Maybe I forgot to mention something to you: I don’t believe in queens. You think freedom is something you can give and take on a whim. But to your people, freedom is as essential as air. And without it, there is no life. There is only darkness.” -Zaheer

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

    "There are three things the parasite hates: free markets, free will, and free men."-Andrew Ryan

  15. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Or this guy...why should I put a single dollar in the pocket of this $#@!, who just told me to go $#@! myself?
    Well, I guess that depends on if you're one of the aforementioned Christians who allow their ties to worldly power trump the demands of their faith to love, serve, and have mercy upon others.

    That said, I try to remember we all get really upset sometimes and go off the handle.
    “Maybe I forgot to mention something to you: I don’t believe in queens. You think freedom is something you can give and take on a whim. But to your people, freedom is as essential as air. And without it, there is no life. There is only darkness.” -Zaheer

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

    "There are three things the parasite hates: free markets, free will, and free men."-Andrew Ryan

  16. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    If it's simply a question of "I disagree with you politically, and here is why", that is one thing.

    If, on the other hand, it's something along the lines of this:



    Then $#@! them.

    Why would you put one dollar in the pocket of someone who, quite seriously, wants you exterminated?
    Fair point.

    But I also don't know who Michael Feingold is either. So it isn't like I was giving him money anyway.
    “Maybe I forgot to mention something to you: I don’t believe in queens. You think freedom is something you can give and take on a whim. But to your people, freedom is as essential as air. And without it, there is no life. There is only darkness.” -Zaheer

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

    "There are three things the parasite hates: free markets, free will, and free men."-Andrew Ryan

  17. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Hollywood's migration from feature film to streaming "television" format has been underway a good bit longer than the SWJ agenda and/or conservative bashing propaganda of relatively recently. It's part of Agenda 21 model, keeping people at home to get conditioned to less freedom of movement, particularly in the cities where majority of theaters are. The Aurora incident and subsequent theater shootings (Louisiana was another iirc) was part of the psyop to make people not want to go to theaters, to stay home instead and intake much more propaganda through Netflix, et al. Same reason as proliferation of home delivery of meals, online shopping home delivery, online clothing "rental" businesses, etc. The point is to condition people to self-sheltering-in-place.

    Also, the feature film studios and production companies are doing just fine but they're shifting their focus to Chinese movie-goers instead of the US. Interesting things that happen as an empire winds down, no?
    Exactly what I mean when I talk about paranoids who see everything as a conspiracy. Greater diversity in production, better storytelling, more view points, a greater diversity in business, and a greater ability to tailor what you watch exactly to your desires is somehow a psyop? Please. Wouldn't it work the other way around? Wouldn't they want to funnel you into theaters where they could control the single message everyone gets?

    Someone tell me this is really a Poe post.
    “Maybe I forgot to mention something to you: I don’t believe in queens. You think freedom is something you can give and take on a whim. But to your people, freedom is as essential as air. And without it, there is no life. There is only darkness.” -Zaheer

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

    "There are three things the parasite hates: free markets, free will, and free men."-Andrew Ryan

  18. #47

    Default

    More mental illness from Hollywood...

    Alyssa Milano gets clobbered by BOTH sides for vile ‘National Day of Prayer’ tweet
    https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/0...-prayer-tweet/

    No aid for them! Bette Midler says no federal money for Texas until their attitude improves or something
    https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017...-or-something/
    "Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
    "Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
    "To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
    "People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

  19. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Wife just reminded me of the Cohen brothers, who have done great things in the past, but their version of True Grit was both a remake, and awful.
    I disagree. The John Wayne version was not true to the book in any way. The Cohen brothers version was very true to the book and way better acted. At no point did I go, "Oh, there's Jeff Bridges playing Rooster Cogburn." I was like, "Whoa, that's Rooster Cogburn."

    We saw The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, went to lunch, and went to see True Grit. We loved the Dawn Treader, but were blown away by True Grit. We agreed that even if we had seen True Grit first, it would still be the film we talked about on the way home. I really got a sense of the danger and desolation of Texas.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  20. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Wife just reminded me of the Cohen brothers, who have done great things in the past, but their version of True Grit was both a remake, and awful.
    Love the Cohens- especially Hudsucker Proxy! Also, the Wachowski's The Matrix & V for Vendetta.

    Frank Capra is my all time favorite director but there are still good one's out there in today's world- ever see Tony Scott's Spy Game? Brilliant. Too bad Tony has passed away.

    Edward Zwick? The Last Samurai? Blood Diamond? Shakespeare in Love?
    There is no spoon.

  21. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Love the Cohens- especially Hudsucker Proxy!
    O' Brother and Big Lebowski.

    Frank Capra is my all time favorite director but there are still good one's out there in today's world- ever see Tony Scott's Spy Game? Brilliant. Too bad Tony has passed away.
    Why We Fight, stunning, even though it is technically, propaganda.

    And Scott?

    Enemy of the State.

    That is all.

  22. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Fair point.

    But I also don't know who Michael Feingold is either. So it isn't like I was giving him money anyway.
    He's a NewsWeak pundit.

    Not specifically "movie entertainment" but the same principle applies.

    I could pull similar quotes from numerous HollyWeird celebrities as well.

  23. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Duma Key is one of my favorites. I have been meaning to read the Mr. Mercedes books, too. Just need to get around to them.

    I wouldn't say the only reason Idris Elba was cast as Roland was because he was black. Elba is a fantastic actor. he has the chops for the role. The problem with the movie is, as you mention, they tried to do too much in too little time. Dark Tower just doesn't translate well into movies. They should have made a mini series out of it, a la Game of Throne or American Gods. Have each book be 4 to 6 episode seasons. It would've been fantastic.
    That Elba is black most certainly entered into the decision, this has been documented in another thread on the subject.

    And when fans (and I consider myself one of the fans of DT) complained about it, they were told by the, director, producer...I cannot recall for sure which, to essentially go $#@! ourselves and that we were a bunch of racists, and he stood by his casting choice.

    King said basically the same thing.

    Which gave a pretty good indication right then and there that the story line was going to be butchered, since one of the main characters hatred of Roland, as a white man, was central to the plot and character development of the story.

    So, $#@! them both, glad it flopped.

  24. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    O' Brother and Big Lebowski.
    Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing and Big Lebowski for me. The others, meh.

  25. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The fact that most all of Hollyweird has spent the last year screaming in the face of roughly half their audience that they are essentially despicable, deplorable, disgusting human beings and should die as quickly as possible, had nothing at all to do with it.
    ...
    Yep, on top of other factors, that has something to do with. It is a poor business decision to tie oneself to one side of a bitter 50/50 split. You lose half your audience, to the cheers of the other half.

    Comedy Central did this to themselves too. It would interesting to see year after year ratings of the late shows (Kimmel, Colbert, Fallon, etc). Interesting if we can safely assume that the ratings/rankings are accurate/honest, which is not a given.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  26. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Well, I guess that depends on if you're one of the aforementioned Christians who allow their ties to worldly power trump the demands of their faith to love, serve, and have mercy upon others.

    That said, I try to remember we all get really upset sometimes and go off the handle.
    Trust me, he views you the same way, simply by being a hard hearted libertarian, that is not in favor of government redistribution of wealth and wants old ladies and children to die in the streets.

    Quite sure he has you pegged for a racist as well.

    So, be my guest, watch his $#@! (not even sure what it is he produces) if you like, but I won't.

    I'm one smart remark away from canceling sat TV altogether.

  27. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I disagree. The John Wayne version was not true to the book in any way. The Cohen brothers version was very true to the book and way better acted.
    Everybody knows the stars of John Wayne's version were beer and General Price. I don't remember if Jeff Bridges even had a cat, but I guess he did. Both versions were good, its just the book often needs help (Fleming & Kubrick). Old Hollyweird had too much campy acting and Brooklyn accent, but New Hollyweird has sort of a formulaic edginess.

    A24 have put out better movies in five years, than Hollywood have in 15. Debra Granik and Jeremy Saulnier continue making good things. I'll buy their movies, but Hollywood's I won't.
    They fought the Wars
    They lost.
    They turned friends
    into enemies.
    Who became
    friends of our enemies.
    They stood alone, in splendid isolation,
    And said it was their only choice.

  28. #57

    Default

    The closest theatre to me is probably an hour or more. I don't miss sticky floors, crappy seats, and stupid air conditioning.

    And I buy VHS tapes at the Good Will for 75 cent.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I do think that ID should be required for certain things like carrying a concealed weapon...




    Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

  29. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    And I buy VHS tapes at the Good Will for 75 cent.
    You buy movies?
    They fought the Wars
    They lost.
    They turned friends
    into enemies.
    Who became
    friends of our enemies.
    They stood alone, in splendid isolation,
    And said it was their only choice.

  30. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    You buy movies?
    Do you mean buy a physical product versus online or renting?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I do think that ID should be required for certain things like carrying a concealed weapon...




    Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

  31. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Kind of like Mark Zuckerberg calls the people on facebook dumb F--ks

    Reference:
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/0...ok_trust_dumb/
    Why anybody in their right mind uses FedBook, voluntarily, is beyond me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast





Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2017, 09:41 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 03:10 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM
  4. America Will See Its Worst Race Riot Yet This Summer
    By Origanalist in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM
  5. Peter Schiff calls the economic crisis in 2006
    By The Good Doctor in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •