Thread: Minneapolis Bar Closes After Owner Donates To David Duke

Minneapolis Bar Closes After Owner Donates To David Duke

I read elsewhere that the bar owner also donated to Ron Paul, Rand Paul, and Donald Trump.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-wo...171150092.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Here I see the full article
    Bar closes after employees find out owner donated to ex-KKK leader David Duke

MARY LYNN SMITH
    STAR TRIBUNE (MINNEAPOLIS)

SEPTEMBER 03, 2017 5:28 PM
    A Minneapolis bar shut down after performers canceled, customers vowed to boycott it and employees were repulsed to learn the owner donated $500 to former KKK leader David Duke's 2016 Senate campaign.
    Caught between those who were outraged over the donation and white supremacists who thought they could claim the bar as their own were more than a dozen employees who became collateral damage in the fallout.
    Former employees, who asked not to be identified, confirmed Friday that Club Jäger was closed and the 17 employees at the North Loop bar were out of jobs. Employees were incensed when they learned about the owner's donation to Duke, and the decision to close the business was made by those who ran it, not the owner, they said.
    Club Jäger's owner, Julius DeRoma, couldn't be reached for comment on Friday. The backlash erupted this week after City Pages published a story about DeRoma's political donation to Duke's failed bid for the U.S. Senate seat in Louisiana.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-wo...#storylink=cpy

Soon after, DJ Jake Rudh announced on Facebook that he would no longer host Transmission, his long-standing weekly dance night, at Club Jäger, saying he didn't want to be in a "venue where the owner supports the likes of David Duke and his messages of hate."

The 90s Preservation Society followed with their own Facebook post to say they were canceling their standing Thursday gig at the bar for the same reason.
    Rob Callahan, a Twin Cities writer who has hosted a trivia night at Club Jäger since 2008, said he was furious when he learned about DeRoma's link to Duke and canceled his Tuesday trivia night.
    A few employees immediately walked off the job when they learned about DeRoma's donation. Others stayed because they had families to feed, Callahan said.
    As news circulated on Tuesday and social media erupted, employee inboxes filled up with notes from friends who wanted to know what was going on and angry messages from others who accused employees of being Nazi sympathizers and apologists, Callahan said. A group of men followed one employee on the street, calling her a Nazi lover and then spit on her, he said.
    By Wednesday, the bar was desolate except for a few people who hadn't heard about DeRoma's donation and a half dozen white supremacists who made racist comments and harassed employees.

"The people working there didn't want to keep this guy's business operating and continue to face the harassment," Callahan said.
    Those who ran the bar decided to shutter it for good on Thursday. The former employees said they don't know what DeRoma's plans are for the club but they won't be part of it.
    Callahan said DeRoma rarely was in the bar and when he was, "he was really nice. No one had any idea he was of that mind-set."
    The bar's staff was a diverse group racially and sexually — "all of whom are directly affected by the actions of David Duke," Callahan said. "Then to find out that the guy who signs their paychecks supports David Duke, I can't tell you how betrayed we all felt. It was emotionally jarring for all of us. And then to have the people who we thought would support us, blame us, it was pretty emotional."

Guess Danke will have to find another bar to tell all the girls he is an astronaut .

So we need all these EEOC laws and government fatwas declaring whom businesses must associate with and hire, why, exactly?

The free market at work. This is why we don't need anti discrimination laws.

Unhappy

This is very sad and unfortunate.

Essentially this was the unofficial RP HQ for 2012 and 08 in Minnesota. Julius let us have free run of the place and gave us great discounts and deals. He was a very generous guy and the club was pretty awesome. Lots of fun times there, we hung out there multiple days a week. Saturday nights after caucus training were always the most fun.

That being said, no one ever detected a hint of racism from the guy, and in fact his staff was very multi-cultural and of differing sexual preferences too. To be honest the entire place was slightly progressive/hipster.

He did donate to a lot of candidates, and I think it is possible he didn't know David Duke's background before he contributed.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    The free market at work. This is why we don't need anti discrimination laws.
    Except for the part where govt regulation on campaign finance reporting exposed him. Oh well, I have no sympathy for these sort of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

Essentially this was the unofficial RP HQ for 2012 and 08 in Minnesota. Julius let us have free run of the place and gave us great discounts and deals. He was a very generous guy and the club was pretty awesome. Lots of fun times there, we hung out there multiple days a week. Saturday nights after caucus training were always the most fun.

That being said, no one ever detected a hint of racism from the guy, and in fact his staff was very multi-cultural and of differing sexual preferences too. To be honest the entire place was slightly progressive/hipster.

He did donate to a lot of candidates, and I think it is possible he didn't know David Duke's background before he contributed.
    There is a 99.999% that this is not true. He knew who he was and what he stood for.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Except for the part where govt regulation on campaign finance reporting exposed him. Oh well, I have no sympathy for these sort of people.
    And what is anti-free market and pro-big government about transparency in government campaign finance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Guess Danke will have to find another bar to tell all the girls he is an astronaut .
    True, went to that bar during the 2008 campaign.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

An Amerikan Kristalnacht is coming.

The roles being reversed, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    And what is anti-free market and pro-big government about transparency in government campaign finance?
    Well, not saying that I am against campaign fiance reporting but there us nothing free market about it. Just pointing that out.

Well, not saying that I am against campaign fiance reporting but there us nothing free market about it. Just pointing that out.
    There isn't? We shouldn't be allowed to factor into our decisions about where to shop the fact that one company we might do business with contributes to John McCain? We shouldn't have a free market in primary candidates, where we can factor which one got huge donations from Raytheon into our decision?

There isn't? We shouldn't be allowed to factor into our decisions about where to shop the fact that one company we might do business with contributes to John McCain? We shouldn't have a free market in primary candidates, where we can factor which one got huge donations from Raytheon into our decision?
    I am not disagreeing with you about campaign financing. I just don't think govt elections have much to do with the free market. One thing that is the work of the free market is the fact that their customers stopped showing up after the relationship with David Duke was discovered.

And as for david Duke, I really thought he was OK before he went all Trump on all. He talked about the federal reserve, non interventionist foreign policy(which I really like), limited govt, he was really anti establishment etc etc and then he sided with Trump. Add to the fact that Trump strongly denounced and in bed with the zionists (which he supposedly hates) him and he still supported him. What a shame

I am not disagreeing with you about campaign financing. I just don't think govt elections have much to do with the free market.
    A free market is a free market. Just because a government is not a free market doesn't mean free markets cannot exist wherever government exists. An election can be a free market. With a not-so-free press, it can be anything but. But there have been elections which fit the general description. A nation such as the U.S. used to be, where the federal is small and most things government does are done by states or--better still--counties can give a person a free market in governments, because relocating is an option.

And, of course, when choosing who to follow during a revolution, a well informed person can just say no to murderous totalitarian thugs like Che Guevara, too. Though they then might have to be mighty careful. Or relocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    True, went to that bar during the 2008 campaign.
    Sorry I missed it , how did you get Collins to pick up the tab ? What if Collins talked this guy into the Duke donation?
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-04-2017 at 09:43 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

I met a lot of people in Louisiana that were both pro Paul and pro Duke.

The fact that the government is the one enforcing the campaign reporting rules. Then you end with bans on advertising (free speech) and that gives the media and incumbents a huge advantage.

The fact that the government is the one enforcing the campaign reporting rules. Then you end with bans on advertising (free speech) and that gives the media and incumbents a huge advantage.
    Transparency is hard to fake. And transparency is not a ban.

If the guy was racist, but kept it secret, would that matter? Would it be better to know his thoughts somehow?

If the guy was racist, but kept it secret, would that matter? Would it be better to know his thoughts somehow?
    Yes, it matters if he kept it secret. There are some thing I really don't want to know and your prejudiced thoughts on race is one of em. I am somewhat glad that I now know so that I can avoid his business but if did not know? that too would be Ok with me. The problem I have is that he was exposed due to a govt regulation

As the saying goes, what you don't know about can't kill you.

Transparency is hard to fake. And transparency is not a ban.
    But aren't you saying that all candidates must be forced by the government to disclose all money donated to them?

Be careful what you ask for.

+1

Does anyone happen to know if David Duke currently advocates for legislation separating the races?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Does anyone happen to know if David Duke currently advocates for legislation separating the races?
    A cursory "screwgling" of his positions indicates he is in favor of voluntary racial separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    A cursory "screwgling" of his positions indicates he is in favor of voluntary racial separation.
    This was my understanding as well. I've seen a handful of Duke interviews and he states flatly that all races should feel and express pride in their heritages. If someone wants to go off and live with members of their own race, I say knock yourself out. I will not be the one to accuse such a person as being "evil" or hateful."
    Last edited by anaconda; 09-05-2017 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    This was my understanding as well. I've seen a handful of Duke interviews and he states flatly that all races should feel and express pride in their heritages. If someone wants to go off and live with members of their own race, I say knock yourself out. I will not be the one to accuse such a person as being "evil" or hateful."
    But, but.........

Teh Newz (and Morris Dees) say he's evil personified....

As the saying goes, what you don't know about can't kill you.

Where did you pull it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That position is only acceptable if you are not white.