Thread: Trump nominates Oklahoma congressman as next NASA administrator

Trump nominates Oklahoma congressman as next NASA administrator

Jim Bridenstine, the Oklahoma Republican congressman President Trump tapped late Friday as NASA’s next administrator, is someone who champions commercial access to space, thinks a return to the moon is vital to U.S. strategic interests, and has dismissed the science behind climate change.If the Senate confirms the 42-year-old former Navy flier, he would be the first elected politician to hold a job that’s been the purview of scientists, engineers and astronauts.
    Bridenstine, who sits on the House Science, Space and Technology and the Armed Services committees, doesn’t have a formal science background. His last job before being elected to represent Oklahoma’s 1st District in 2012 was as executive director of the Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium.
    A low-key member of Congress serving his third term, the Rice University graduate has won praise for his work advancing the interests of the emerging commercial space industry.
    “He’s well versed on the broad spectrum on civil, commercial, military space. He really understands a lot of the pressing issues that the industry and the government face in this spectrum,” said Eric Stallmer, president of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation, an industry trade group. “He’s a very wise choice for the position.”
    Bridenstine has made it clear he wants the U.S. to re-establish its dominance on and around the moon, a destination that the Obama administration had largely ignored as it focused NASA’s resources on a long-term mission to Mars.
    “We all want to get to Mars in 2033 (but the moon) is critically important to the geo-political position of the United States of America,” he said in a February hearing of the space committee. “Mars is the horizon goal. It’s critical. We need to get there (but) the moon I believe is necessary.”
    Republicans are expected to keep the seat If Bridenstine wins confirmation. Trump won the district by 61% last year.

More at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tor/628263001/

https://www.thenewamerican.com/freedom-index

Dist.1: Jim Bridenstine - 80%

I don't want anyone 80% or better out of congress unless we have someone better ready to replace them.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NASA has a new head.
    On Thursday, the US Senate narrowly voted to confirm James Bridenstine, a Republican congressman from Oklahoma, to run the space agency. The vote fell closely on party lines with 50 Republicans voting for President Donald Trump's nominee and 47 Democrats and two independents voting against him.
    "I am humbled by this opportunity, and I once again thank President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence for their confidence," Bridenstine said in a post on his House page. "I look forward to working with the outstanding team at NASA to achieve the president's vision for American leadership in space."

More at: https://www.cnet.com/news/senate-con...tag=CAD590a51e

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Anyone who just outright dismisses the science behind climate change, being put in charge of NASA which does a lot of study on climate, seems like another bad match. Let's put anti science in charge of rocket scientists? He'll trust the agency can use science to figure out how to put a man on the moon but doesn't trust the same agency scientists on their climate work?
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Anyone who just outright dismisses the science behind climate change, being put in charge of NASA which does a lot of study on climate, seems like another bad match. Let's put anti science in charge of rocket scientists? He'll trust the agency can use science to figure out how to put a man on the moon but doesn't trust the same agency scientists on their climate work?
    "Climate Change" is junk science.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Better than they do.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I was really hoping this wouldn't happen, since it removes someone from Congress who was actually decent. The only way this would be a good thing is if Nathan Dahm could get in as a replacement, and someone else could get in to replace Dahm in the State Senate. Dahm would have a really good chance of winning the seat, and is in the district. Losing a decent Congressman is bad, but it could be an excellent opportunity to elect an actual Ron Paul supporter in his place, and then another to take his place in the State Senate.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

So....these go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpNqNPkhkvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oD6baYaYJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_AzPQuSBBE

With regard to the last one, I didn't know he had already announced a run! So, it's on, for sure! Here's an excellent chance to get another Ron Paul supporter into Congress, and another into the OK State Senate as his replacement. And the video was taken in his office at the State Capitol, in case anyone is wondering about the background.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    While I respectfully disagree, I'm not going to get into one of those debates with no chance of changing the other's view.

However I will point out that Russia has worked hard to help convince people that climate change is false and help make us argue with each other..

https://science.house.gov/sites/repu...2003.01.18.pdf
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

While I respectfully disagree, I'm not going to get into one of those debates with no chance of changing the other's view.
    Agreed, this is not the right thread and I don't feel like beating a dead horse right now.

However I will point out that Russia has worked hard to help convince people that climate change is false and help make us argue with each other..

https://science.house.gov/sites/repu...2003.01.18.pdf
    Well if Russia is on my side then I must be a lying Russian bot.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    I was really hoping this wouldn't happen, since it removes someone from Congress who was actually decent. The only way this would be a good thing is if Nathan Dahm could get in as a replacement, and someone else could get in to replace Dahm in the State Senate. Dahm would have a really good chance of winning the seat, and is in the district. Losing a decent Congressman is bad, but it could be an excellent opportunity to elect an actual Ron Paul supporter in his place, and then another to take his place in the State Senate.
    Bridenstein was out in any case. He went up there and did his best, and got attack ads for his trouble. He went to Washington an ex-Navy pilot and still convinced American policy in the Middle East still made sense, and figuring the Powers that Be would surely have no problem with an ex-sailor, and a few good votes got him attacked. He got reelected anyway--handily--but you could tell by the 2016 state convention that he was finally getting a whiff of the odor all about him. He'd already had enough of Congress.

It'll be interesting to see if being a bureaucrat suits him better. At least it's not a committee. The chain of command might suit him better.

Yes, I heartily endorse Nathan! Anyone looking to make a Liberty contribution for the 2018 midterms could do no better than invest in Dahm for Congress! Help us trade a decent representative for a great one!

http://www.nathandahm.com/
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-21-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Bridenstein was out in any case. He went up there and did his best, and got attack ads for his trouble. He went to Washington an ex-Navy pilot and still convinced American policy in the Middle East still made sense, and figuring the Powers that Be would surely have no problem with an ex-sailor, and a few good votes got him attacked. He got reelected anyway--handily--but you could tell by the 2016 state convention that he was finally getting a whiff of the odor all about him. He'd already had enough of Congress.

It'll be interesting to see if being a bureaucrat suits him better. At least it's not a committee. The chain of command might suit him better.

Yes, I heartily endorse Nathan! Anyone looking to make a Liberty contribution for the 2018 midterms could do no better than invest in Dahm for Congress! Help us trade a decent representative for a great one!

http://www.nathandahm.com/
    But then the problem is replacing him in the State Senate, we can't afford to lose him there. Is there anyone worthy running for his State Senate seat?