Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cop arrests and drags nurse from hospital for refusing warrantless blood draw on patient

Cop arrests and drags nurse from hospital for refusing warrantless blood draw on patient

'Stop! I’ve done nothing wrong': Nurse shares police video of 'crazy' arrest by S.L. officer
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...L-officer.html
    Payne, a veteran Salt Lake police officer, was sent to the hospital by another police agency to get vials of blood for the investigation. But because the patient was not a suspect in the crash nor faced potential criminal charges, because he was unconscious and unable to give consent, and because the officer did not have a warrant, Wubbels — one of the supervisors that night — did not allow him to draw blood.

"If they needed blood, then they needed to go through to proper channels to take it,” she said.
    Porter said Payne argued that he was allowed to take the blood through a process known as "implied consent." But she said that law was changed years ago.
    Payne can be heard talking about his other job as an ambulance driver, and how Wubbels' arrest might affect that.

"I’ll bring 'em all the transients and take the good patients elsewhere," he is heard saying about the hospital.

"Even if he’s joking, this is not funny," Porter said. "I mean, there are so many things wrong with that statement I can’t even begin.”
    The Salt Lake Tribune Video 1:50

KSL News Report

Full 19 minute video

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We also looked at our policies and procedures to see if maybe there was something that needed to be done.

I can save taxpayers dollars. Please send cop to the back of my shed postage paid.

#gotrope?

...nope

#pussies
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Someone needs to dox that cop.

And its not like this was a traffic stop-n-murder, the cop flew off in front of a dozen people. 12 adults are a jury of peers... just saying, America.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 09-01-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Cops will be cops. This story is not about the corrupt police state but the heroic nurse.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nurses name is Alex Wubbels, which is what I searched for before almost making a dupe post.

Having said that, there are plenty of people siding with the cops. After all, if you don't have anything to hide...

Just as a tangential aspect of this incident, this is what happens when one unquestionable authority runs into another unquestionable authority.

The difference being that one uses force directly, while the other depends upon directing the other to use force on their behalf.

(All in a general sense, not applied to this specific nurse necessarily.)
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

and the other cops just watched. no good cops.

The nurse isn't even taking civil action against the department for false arrest. Give me a $#@!ing break. Talk about lambs to the slaughter.

Wubbels has not filed any civil action against the police agencies involved.

"I think right now, I believe in the goodness of society. I want to see people do the right thing first and I want to see this be a civil discourse. And if that’s not something that’s going to happen and there is refusal to acknowledge the need for growth and the need for re-education, then we will likely be forced to take that type of step. But people need to know that this is out there,” she said.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    The nurse isn't even taking civil action against the department for false arrest. Give me a $#@!ing break. Talk about lambs to the slaughter.

But people need to know that this is out there,” she said.
    Yeah. People have been writing about it for decades,filming it since cell phones became cameras, and she was blind to it. Now she thinks we were all blind to it, and it's just an isolated case.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Yeah. People have been writing about it for decades,filming it since cell phones became cameras, and she was blind to it. Now she thinks we were all blind to it, and it's just an isolated case.
    "I think right now, I believe in the goodness of society. I want to see people do the right thing first and I want to see this be a civil discourse.
    She lives in a cocoon of her own making apparently.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    We all do.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I think part of it may be that nurses are considered to at least somewhat be part of the "blue line family."

I've seen plenty of cops online talking about how nurses are one of the groups that will always get "professional courtesy" from them.

Though I guess another aspect of that is cops think if they don't give nurses a "break", someday they will be "remembered" if they ever need emergency care (though I'd hope most nurses would be more professional and ethical than that, still I've heard some "joking" about that sort of thing, and not just 'online'). It seems like any group that has power over others always ends up having 'power trip' issues of some sort -- just human nature.

The ironic thing in this story was that the truck driver the vampires wanted blood from is an LEO himself -- but the crash was the result of a (probably) stupid high-speed police chase, so of course they are going to look for a way to shift blame onto the victim, even if it means eating one of their own -- or arresting hospital staff who they usually try to get along with.
    Last edited by SeanTX; 09-01-2017 at 12:58 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    I think part of it may be that nurses are considered to at least somewhat be part of the "blue line family."

I've seen plenty of cops online talking about how nurses are one of the groups that will always get "professional courtesy" from them.

The ironic thing in this story was that the truck driver the vampires wanted blood from is an LEO himself -- but the crash was the result of a (probably) stupid high-speed police chase, so of course they are going to look for a way to shift blame onto the victim, even if it means eating one of their own -- or arresting hospital staff who they usually try to get along with.
    Ya, I read the story and that's exactly what this is about. Trying to cover their asses no matter who takes the blame. As long as it isn't them. Blue lives matter.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    We all do.
    Hmmm. I suppose, to varying degrees.
    "The Patriarch"

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries

Utah nurse being arrested for refusing to give a patient's blood to police

Jesus $#@!ing Christ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Jesus $#@!ing Christ...
    You just saw this thread? lol.... Oh man wish I was there to take your blood pressure.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

You just saw this thread? lol.... Oh man wish I was there to take your blood pressure.
    Your sphyganometer would have exploded.

Who wants to bet that the solution for this situation will be the hospital, the cops, and the state legislature getting together to come up with a law that allows kops to take blood from anybody, anywhere, anytime.

Problem solved.

It amazes me that the nurse even challenged the cop and that she ACTUALLY KNEW THE CONSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENTS!

Warrant, Suspect in a Crime, consent, or GTFO.....

- Diogenes of Sinope

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And what makes this worse?

The cop MAY be right.

The man they tried taking blood from is a commercial driver.

Under FedGov commercial driving rules, just like pilots, mariners and engineers, you have no rights.

You are subject to a mandatory post accident drug screen regardless of who caused a fatal accident.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/382.303

Thanks again Ronald $#@!ing Reagan.

“Help! Help! Somebody help me! Stop! Stop! I did nothing wrong!” Wubbels screamed.

If anyone wants to really be infuriated, just watch the entire footage on youtube.

Kop's buddy interrogates her in the police car and struts his stuff about how HIS law trumps her authorities and responsibilities. He seems to be trying to continue to coerce her into something. Or he is just getting a hard-on intimidating a helpless girl.

Faggy dude nurse or aid tries to help her throughout but he gets no traction because he continues to grovel to the kops by calling them "sir" constantly.

Obese hospital security guards just stand by, but at least they don't look very happy.

It amazes me that the nurse even challenged the cop and that she ACTUALLY KNEW THE CONSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENTS!

Warrant, Suspect in a Crime, consent, or GTFO.....
    IIRC, she did not cite constitutional requirements but her facilities policies. If the hospital policies had told her to do it, she would have.

I wondered about this to considering she has a good case and no one outside of the community would fault her. It would not be self serving to do so since rather these lawsuits can help keep departments in check. When people fail to hold the cops and departments or people for that matter accountable for bad behavior they typically become emboldened to continue the behavior upon others.

For all we know what is going on around her is people that worship at the altar of the police can do no wrong, are trying to social condition her to do otherwise. This could include police familiar with the facility and her social network, friends of police, family, co-workers and employers. Could even be some of those cops are now acting like they are her, her co-workers and possibly family best friends in a PR campaign to make this go away. It would take a very strong woman to not be fooled or influenced by that.

On the other it could also be the reverse of that and she as well as everyone else is in fear of retribution.

I really hope she thinks long and hard about this and gets a good lawyer to charge this thug with assault. Because that's exactly what this is. He should never ever be allowed to have another job as a cop, ambulance driver, or security guard: he's proven he cannot be trusted with that authority and it needs to be taken away from him permanently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast