Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Why are we spending federal tax dollars for hurricane assistance? Each state should see to this if they like.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Why are we spending federal tax dollars for hurricane assistance? Each state should see to this if they like.
    That and private charity.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

ht angeltatc:

I listened to a cnn talking head explain how we just had to help cuba, since they were nice enough to put their island in the way of the hurricane and weaken it for us.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    All of these maps demonstrate that even with the best weather scientists in the world, with all of the super-computing resources for modelling and tracking these hurricanes, they still can't get it right. Push pins on a map that says "the hurricane is here" and "the hurricane was here" would be just as useful.
    It's a joke really, especially the amount of time the media has spent going over these forecasts for a week which have continually been off.

Kind of funny that today they aren't showing them any more. "Well, we've been consistently wrong with the predictions, so nevermind".

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Is western Tennessee OK? I hope Alabama survived.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

For the most part, it shouldn't be Federal dollars.

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." - Rahm Emmanuel

It's the perfect opportunity for graft and corruption. Excess Federal money being thrown around with no oversight. Nothing better than "charity" by politicians with other people's money.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Nothing better than "charity" by politicians with other people's money.

Bonanza!

Bangkok, Thailand

I'm praying for the safety of those affected of Hurricane Irma.

Nothing better than "charity" by politicians with other people's money.
    The relationship between the American Red Cross and the federal government is unique. We are an independent entity that is organized and exists as a nonprofit, tax-exempt, charitable institution pursuant to a charter granted to us by the United States Congress. Unlike other congressionally chartered organizations, the Red Cross maintains a special relationship with the federal government.

We have the legal status of “a federal instrumentality,” due to our charter requirements to carry out responsibilities delegated to us by the federal government. Among these responsibilities are:

to fulfill the provisions of the Geneva Conventions, to which the United States is a signatory, assigned to national societies for the protection of victims of conflict,

to provide family communications and other forms of support to the U.S. military, and

to maintain a system of domestic and international disaster relief, including mandated responsibilities under the National Response Framework coordinated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Despite this close relationship with the federal government, the American Red Cross is not a federal agency, nor do we receive federal funding on a regular basis to carry out our services and programs. We receive our financial support from voluntary public contributions and from cost-recovery charges for some of our services, such as the provision of blood and blood products and health and safety training courses. Under limited circumstances, however, it sometimes becomes necessary for us to seek appropriations for certain programs when the funding requirements are beyond that supported by the charitable public. At times, federal and state government agencies also contract with the Red Cross and provide material aid and assistance to support the Red Cross in fulfillment of specific instances of our charter obligations.
    http://www.redcross.org/about-us/who...ederal-charter

I wonder about all the reports of shortages,, in unaffected states.

I don't think they will see the return they expected.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

For the most part, it shouldn't be Federal dollars.

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." - Rahm Emmanuel

It's the perfect opportunity for graft and corruption. Excess Federal money being thrown around with no oversight. Nothing better than "charity" by politicians with other people's money.
    Why do I have the feeling that planes earmarked for Hurricane rescue will be carrying weapons to Turkey and drugs from Columbia on the flip side?

Quote Originally Posted by Hippony View Post
    I'm praying for the safety of those affected of Hurricane Irma.
    That safety would include not being murdered by FEMA personnel.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why do I have the feeling that planes earmarked for Hurricane rescue will be carrying weapons to Turkey and drugs from Columbia on the flip side?
    Pretty sure the "lack of accounting" capabilities that lead to $2.7 billion in un-accountable funding by the Pentagon is also prevalant with FEMA.

Hurricane Irma did not live up to the hype, but the media is known for overhyping everything. So now the media has to stick with the story or minimize the story. Make no mistake: Irma is doing a lot of damage. A whole lot. Unfortunately, we are not going to hear of the heroism or any kind of real stories because the media is made up of self-absorbed navel gazers.

Please don't lose sight of the horrible loss in Florida. There will be a lot more damage and loss before it's all over with. It's already raining here. Irma still has a lot of rain and wind left.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Pretty sure the "lack of accounting" capabilities that lead to $2.7 billion in un-accountable funding by the Pentagon is also prevalant with FEMA.
    Trillion I believe, not billion.

Trillion I believe, not billion.
    Correct. Billion is not in the "worth talking about" category.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Hurricane Irma did not live up to the hype
    Sadly, just like a Joe Scarborough concert.

It's a joke really, especially the amount of time the media has spent going over these forecasts for a week which have continually been off.

Kind of funny that today they aren't showing them any more. "Well, we've been consistently wrong with the predictions, so nevermind".

Meh. Memphis and the area around it has become a $#@!hole anyways... I refer to it as East Arkansas. We had some moderately strong winds in East Tennessee overnight. Nothing too serious though.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I wonder about all the reports of shortages,, in unaffected states.

I don't think they will see the return they expected.
    Some native spanish speaker came up to me at the gas pump the other day as I was filling up 12 empty gas cans a couple of weeks ago and said "Hey man, why do you need all of that gas?" I said "Well, it occurred to me on the way home from work how stupid I would feel if there was a fuel shortage and I had 12 empty gas cans." He nodded and asked if I could help him jack up his van with a blown tire, to which I agreed. He seemed to be an enterprising fella, well versed in vehicular mechanics but somewhat short-sighted in his outlook. He carried a complete set of tools but no jack.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    yep. thats why TX doesn't need our help.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    ht angeltatc:

what a tool.

Tough getting news (real news) out of the Keys.

Observing as usual.. and at distance this time.

"Obliterated" "Wiped out" "Fatal",,, no, not really.
    Damage yes. These storms are destructive. out of control. and quite survivable as keeps being proven by Conchs.

Locals will rebuild what is destroyed,,, and could do so easier and more quickly without the govt interference.

Florida DOT is still restricting movement of goods and services. Bridges are intact and in use. Boats Float. but they are restricted as well.

One Fatality in the storm.. Someone not inside shelter. One.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/0...e-cats-and-go/
    Belle @bellestarr48

@TheRickWilson Gentlemen from Hemingway House...(MSNBC) No major flooding Key West... House weathered the storm w/o damage. Cats are ��
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Oh,, and if anyone can get Sat Images (new) it would be nice,, Big Coppitt Key..
    Looking for my old house at 35 Dondi rd. Curiosity only.

It stood Cat 3 well. (if buttoned up) Wondering how well it took a Cat 4 center punch.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Oh,, and if anyone can get Sat Images (new) it would be nice,, Big Coppitt Key..
    Looking for my old house at 35 Dondi rd. Curiosity only.

It stood Cat 3 well. (if buttoned up) Wondering how well it took a Cat 4 center punch.
    Found it.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

And it appears to be in the same location. how bout that?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Bangkok, Thailand

in this situation why is somebody take this opportunity to take something that meant for the others.

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567