Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Newsweek: Houston Flooded Because There Aren't Enough Regulations

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I totally agree, except that flood insurance is not supposed to be a government entity. It's supposed to be private.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Yes, we're on the same page here. Rich people subsidies.
    And yet Houston's problems are because of neither too much rain nor too much government flood insurance, but because they don't have as many regulations as the cities in New York and New Jersey that flooded just as badly a few years ago.

    Impeccable propag--er, I mean logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Define Terrorist please.

    According to, well, pretty much both political parties, the other party is now guilty of Terrorism.
    Listening to the mainstream media is like standing under a power line when the birds are migrating.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It's been my experience that once the First Responders show up, progress slows dramatically.

    I remember a flood from a few years back. The news stories were all about how long it was taking the insurance companies to assess damage. 10 houses, 9 families upset because they couldn't start repairs until an adjustor showed up.

    House #10 belonged to a guy that didn't have insurance. He had pulled out the floors, set up fans to dry the framing, and was pulling out drywall when the cameras were rolling. His house was probably going to be back in shape before a single contractor gave a single estimate to the other 9.

    I want to be that guy.
    And are likely to $#@! things up even worse.

    I was thinking more of citizen in action types, Cajun Navy types.



  4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  5. #33
    At least 23 dead so far.

    Do you just want people to die?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  6. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Name a freaking city that wouldn't flood with this much rain in this short of a time period.
    Heracleion.

    Your move.
    ..Oo.o~ Rights are Divine ~o.oO..

  7. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by hard@work View Post
    Heracleion.

    Your move.
    Heracleion (Greek: Ἡράκλειον), also known as Thonis (Θῶνις), was an ancient Egyptian city located near the Canopic Mouth of the Nile, about 32 km northeast of Alexandria. Its ruins are located in Abu Qir Bay, currently 2.5 km off the coast, under 10 m (30 ft) of water.[1]


    Venice

    Venice (/ˈvɛnɪs/ VEN-iss; Italian: Venezia, [veˈnɛttsja] ( listen); Venetian: Venesia, [veˈnɛsja]) is a city in northeastern Italy and the capital of the Veneto region. It is situated across a group of 118 small islands[1] that are separated by canals and linked by bridges, of which there are 400.[2][3] The islands are located in the shallow Venetian Lagoon, an enclosed bay that lies between the mouths of the Po and the Piave Rivers.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  8. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by hard@work View Post
    Heracleion.

    Your move.
    LOL


  9. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And are likely to $#@! things up even worse.

    I was thinking more of citizen in action types, Cajun Navy types.
    Oh yes.

    The whole article is a strawman. Conservatives / libertarians aren't necessarily loners. They see something that needs done and they do it. Liberals see something that needs done and they trigger because someone else isn't doing it.

    That's a big reason why the whole tone of this is different than the Katrina debacle. There aren't thousands of people in a government hellhole powerless over their own destiny waiting for someone to hand them free stuff - there are thousands of people stepping up and helping other people.

  10. #38
    Joplin was the same--for a week.

    Then FEMA finally showed up, and locked the whole thing down for no particular reason.

    If you have a disaster, folks, try to get everyone relief in the first week. After that, your hands will be tied--by federal zipcuffs, if you're stubborn.

    Of course, if you're on the east coast, sorry. There, FEMA might actually show up in a timely manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Define Terrorist please.

    According to, well, pretty much both political parties, the other party is now guilty of Terrorism.
    Listening to the mainstream media is like standing under a power line when the birds are migrating.

  11. #39
    Another way government makes disasters worse is with gouging laws. People are afraid to bring emergency supplies because they're afraid they'll get charged with gouging. It's better to have expensive water than no water.

  12. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Another way government makes disasters worse is with gouging laws. People are afraid to bring emergency supplies because they're afraid they'll get charged with gouging. It's better to have expensive water than no water.
    Silence you, water is a human right, to be provided by government only.



  13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  14. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    At least 23 dead so far.

    Do you just want people to die?
    That is actually not high considering a city of millions and 30 to 50 inches of rain .

  15. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Silence you, water is a human right, to be provided by government only.
    Government is distributing water now?

    No wonder Houstonians are up to their navels in the stuff while some of the government's biggest fans are in a drought...
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Define Terrorist please.

    According to, well, pretty much both political parties, the other party is now guilty of Terrorism.
    Listening to the mainstream media is like standing under a power line when the birds are migrating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 06:29 PM
  2. Replies: 273
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 08:30 PM
  3. Senate phone lines are flooded
    By Matt Collins in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
  5. YouTube being flooded with porn under Ron Paul's name.
    By New York Central in forum Bad Media Reporting on Ron Paul
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 06:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •