Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile Over Japan; S.Korea Military Raising Alert

North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile Over Japan; S.Korea Military Raising Alert

Early on Tuesday morning, North Korea fired a missile that flew over Japan and landed in the Pacific waters off the northern region of Hokkaido, South Korea and Japan said, in what Reuters called "a sharp escalation of tensions on the Korean peninsula." The last North Korean projectile to fly in Japanese airspace was in 2009, which North Korea claimed was a communications satellite into orbit but the US and other nations suspected was a ballistic missile test. Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported the missile broke into three pieces and fell into the waters off Hokkaido.
    The missile was launched from the Sunan region near the North Korean capital Pyongyang around 6 a.m. local time and flew 2,700 km (1,678 miles), reaching the altitude of about 550 km.
    Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the North Korean missile fell into the sea 1,180 km (733 miles) east of the Cape of Erimo on Hokkaido. Suga called the flight "an unprecedented, serious and grave threat to our nation,” adding the government had protested the move in the strongest terms and said the launch "was a clear violation of United Nations resolutions" and Japan will work closely with the United States, South Korea and other concerned nations on a response.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...ke-precautions
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This might be the 'one' that tips it.... standing by for 'updates'.
    The 'broke apart in 3 pieces' might be newspeak
    for 'tested MIRV multiple warhead & re-entry capability'.
    "The warhead for the Hwasong 14 is an identical copy of the warhead of the US Minuteman 3 ICBM.
    This warhead probably has 3 MIRVs (Multiple Independently Targetable Re-entry Vehicles) as well.
    The current warhead in the MIRVs of the Minuteman 3 is the W-87 warhead.
    The Minuteman 3 was produced in 1970. So North Korea has had 47 years to obtain data on the Minuteman 3 through espionage.
    More than you want to know MIRV included HERE
    Cheong Wa Dae says U.S. considering deploying 'strategic' defense capabilities to S. Korea.
    (no one is sure what that means....)

Moon orders show of 'overwhelming' force against N. Korean provocation
    http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_...0000000&mobile
    Last edited by goldenequity; 08-28-2017 at 09:16 PM.

South Korea Orders Show Of "Overwhelming Force", Conducts "Live Bombing" Drill

While we await Donald Trump's response to the second consecutive North Korean provocation in four days, both on twitter and elsewhere, South Korean President Moon Jae-in has already ordered his troops to demonstrate their capability for "strong retaliation" and put on a show of "overwhelming force", after his office convened a National Security Council session.

According to Yonhap, President Moon ordered his country's military to display its capabilities that can "overwhelm" North Korea should the communist state decide to attack, the presidential office The show of overwhelming force involved the dropping of eight Mark 84 or MK84 multipurpose bombs by four F15K fighter jets at a shooting range near the inter-Korean border in Taebaek, Moon's chief press secretary, Yoon Young-chan, told reporters.

"The NSC standing committee denounced North Korea for violating the U.N. Security Council resolutions by again launching ballistic missiles despite stern warnings," Yoon told a press briefing.
    Yoon also said that in a telephone conversation that also took place shortly after the latest North Korean missile provocation, South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and her U.S. counterpart Rex Tillerson agreed to push for additional sanctions by the U.N. Security Council.

Futhermore, Gen. Jeong Kyeong-doo, chairman of South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff, and his American counterpart Gen. Joseph Dunford agreed to take related measures at the earliest possible date, which apparently include the temporary dispatch of U.S. strategic assets like long-range bombers to Korea.

Chung Eui-yong, Moon's top security adviser, also held a telephone conversation with the White House's National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster to discuss the allies' joint measures against the North's latest missile provocation. "McMaster said President Donald Trump fully supported President Moon's North Korea policy and the South Korean government's measures against North Korean provocations," Yoon said.
    As Yonhap concludes, "it's quite unusual for the secretive nation to fire a ballistic missile from its capital, another sign that it's diversifying launch areas to dodge external surveillance and a possible pre-emptive strike."

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...-kospi-tumbles

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

UNSC to hold emergency meeting to discuss N. Korea's missile launch

The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) will hold an emergency meeting on Tuesday to discuss North Korea's ballistic missile launch at the request of South Korea, the United States and Japan, an official at the foreign ministry said. "South Korea, the U.S. and Japan jointly requested the UNSC hold an emergency meeting to address an emergence of threats to the peace and security," the official at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The meeting would be held on Tuesday (New York time), he said.

More at: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news...004351315.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

"The United States and Britain have warmly welcomed Libya's decision
    to abandon its programmes for developing weapons of mass destruction."

"President George Bush said his decision set an example to other countries on how to build better relations with the US.
    French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin described the deal as "a success for the entire international community"
    UK Prime Minister Tony Blair called the announcement "an historic one and a courageous one".

"Libya has decided, with its own free will, to get rid of these substances, equipment and programmes
    and to be free from all internationally-banned weapons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3336627.stm

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    "The United States and Britain have warmly welcomed Libya's decision
    to abandon its programmes for developing weapons of mass destruction."

"President George Bush said his decision set an example to other countries on how to build better relations with the US.
    French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin described the deal as "a success for the entire international community"
    UK Prime Minister Tony Blair called the announcement "an historic one and a courageous one".

"Libya has decided, with its own free will, to get rid of these substances, equipment and programmes
    and to be free from all internationally-banned weapons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3336627.stm

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

One Of North Korea's Most Dangerous Weapons Is The Ancient An-2 Biplane
    http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...d=twittershare

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

This might be the 'one' that tips it....
    NPR radio news aired the audio of the air raid sirens going off in Japan.

A very provocative move for an unannounced "test",
    not much of a possible response militarily unless defenses were to take it out in flight.

A hazard to shipping in the N. Pacific, and the UN Security Council meets.

This really could be someone's reason for a preemptive strike against this North Korea capability now.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 08-29-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    This really could be someone's reason for a preemptive strike against this North Korea capability now.
    Why did NK do it? Did Kim Jong-un lose a bet?

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Why did NK do it? Did Kim Jong-un lose a bet?
    NK shooting over Japan - I think it reached an altitude of 341 miles - is kinda "un-losing" isn't it ? *sigh* over what is developing

China's still South Korea's largest trade partner, the two have an almost tariff-free treaty, so I think renewed peace talks would work. Why wouldn't N Korea's elites want a slice of that? Stopping their economic integration gave N Korea too much lateral for risks; sanctions have only spread famine beyond anything we're prepared for. The refugee crisis would be another trillion dollar money-pit, and just bet we'll be paying out the ass ourselves. Gotta build those wrinkled Nip millionaires some Trump towers to blow their loot, while GI Joe prep for Operation: Take Our Jobs Back.

North Korea showing more respect.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...espect-america

Trump Says North Korea’s Kim Is ‘Starting to Respect’ America

President Donald Trump said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is beginning to respect the U.S., the latest comments that suggest his administration is moving closer to seeking talks over Pyongyang’s nuclear arsenal.

“I respect the fact that I believe he is starting to respect us,” Trump said of Kim at a rally in Phoenix, Arizona on Tuesday evening. “Maybe, probably not, something positive will come out of it.”

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson went out of his way earlier Tuesday to note that North Korea hadn’t carried out “provocative acts” since the UN Security Council imposed new sanctions on the country.

“I am pleased to see that the regime in Pyongyang has certainly demonstrated some level of restraint that we have not seen in the past,” Tillerson told reporters at the State Department. “Perhaps we are seeing our pathway to sometime in the near future having some dialogue.”

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    UNSC to hold emergency meeting to discuss N. Korea's missile launch

The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) will hold an emergency meeting on Tuesday to discuss North Korea's ballistic missile launch at the request of South Korea, the United States and Japan, an official at the foreign ministry said. "South Korea, the U.S. and Japan jointly requested the UNSC hold an emergency meeting to address an emergence of threats to the peace and security," the official at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The meeting would be held on Tuesday (New York time), he said.

More at: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news...004351315.html
    Strategic Sentinel
    Closed session of the #UNSC has begun discussing #DPRK

=========

Japan, US look to cut off North Korea's oil supply
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Py...a-s-oil-supply

No US plan to call for oil embargo on North Korea - US official #9News

China has already stopped importing North Korean coal, which is hurting the NKean economy. If Japan and America get China on board for an oil ban - which is unlikely, though conceivably given that China's cut oil to NK twice this year already - then NK will lose virtually all of its oil. It produces none domestically. It gets most of its crude from a Chinese facility on the border. If that oil goes, NK has three months according to some reports I've just read. And if that oil goes, NK won't have the fuel necessary to supply its army.

South Korea also has no oil. China is NK's lifeline.
    China would NEVER agree.

==========

WH just released a short statement:

The world has received North Korea’s latest message loud and clear: this regime has signaled its contempt for its neighbors, for all members of the United Nations, and for minimum standards of acceptable international behavior.

Threatening and destabilizing actions only increase the North Korean regime’s isolation in the region and among all nations of the world. All options are on the table.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 08-29-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Putin orders Russians to move away from North Korea border

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4834546/Putin-orders-Russians-away-North-Korea-border.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1 490

Britain calls for further sanctions on North Korea in wake of missile test

https://www.yahoo.com/news/britain-calls-further-sanctions-north-221818044.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Russia, UAE tell North Korea: Stop your 'provocations'

The foreign ministers of Russia and the United Arab Emirates urged North Korea on Tuesday to stop its provocations and obey United Nations resolutions, after Pyongyang's launch of a ballistic missile over Japan.Speaking in Abu Dhabi, the two ministers offered a forceful warning for Pyongyang, with Emirati Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan particularly calling for North Korea to stop its "provocations."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-ua...120351149.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ... All options are on the table.
    WHAT THE USA SAY...

WHAT KIM JONG UN HEARS...

Wednesday next week Trump has his Generals brief a scheduled pow-wow with both houses on Afghanistan and Norks.

Both the House and Senate are expected to receive a briefing next week on North Korea and Afghanistan from top Trump administration national security officials, according to three congressional sources.

Defense Secretary James Mattis, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Joe Dunford, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats will brief the full House and Senate in separate closed sessions on Wednesday, the sources said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/30/po...ing/index.html

=========

U.S. sees signs of North Korean nuke test
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...utm_medium=RSS

The White House says the United States could launch a military response after North Korea's latest missile test. via @SkyNewsAust

"We have taken serious steps on North Korea and there may be a military response". -@PressSec

And by "talking is not the answer," @PressSec says Trump did not mean that negotiations were off the table.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 08-30-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Russia suspends joint projects with North Korea
    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...3821504029773/
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 09-03-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    NK shooting over Japan - I think it reached an altitude of 341 miles . . .
    I think this could mean they could even attain a low earth "orbit" and (with guidance systems) reach anywhere (?)
    and might have also been enough altitude for testing a heat-shield re-entry needed for a serious warhead delivery.

I'll guess shooting NK launches out of the sky will be a further development - now with the Russian orders to move away from N. Korean border.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 09-01-2017 at 03:19 PM.

UN Security Council to hold emergency meeting on North Korea

http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...on-north-korea
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 09-03-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If the Russians get behind this UN Security Council meeting my gut says that ups the ante for a preemptive strike.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    If the Russians get behind this UN Security Council meeting my gut says that ups the ante for a preemptive strike.
    But by whom?

I don't think Putin or Xi will agree to the US attacking the NORKs, maybe China or Russia will do it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

All Trump needs to do is put a $10,000,000,000 bounty on the little dictator's head.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    But by whom?

I don't think Putin or Xi will agree to the US attacking the NORKs, maybe China or Russia will do it.
    The joint coalition forces that will be developed against NK under this new UN resolution. You know the drill. Some will provide troop support, others with finance, still more with humanitarian aide, etc. One stipulation: Japan will back off due to the history between Japan and China.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    All Trump needs to do is put a $10,000,000,000 bounty on the little dictator's head.
    and a deck of cards.

North Korean Delegation Flys to Vladivostok, will join Putin & Moon at Eastern Economic Forum

A North Korean delegation left for Russia Monday, the North's state media reported
    http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_...ite=0100000000

SEOUL, Sept. 4 (Yonhap) -- A North Korean delegation left for Russia Monday, the North's state media reported,
    for a regional economic forum that will also involve
    a South Korean government delegation headed by President Moon Jae-in.

The North Korean delegation, led by Kim Yong-jae, minister of external economic relations,
    left for Vladivostok for the Third Oriental Economic Forum, the North's Korean Central News Agency reported.

The forum, better known as the Eastern Economic Forum, will be held Wednesday and Thursday.

Moon is scheduled to head there Wednesday for a two-day visit
    that will include a bilateral summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The South Korean president earlier noted he expected to see North Korean officials at the forum.
    He did not say whether he planned to hold talks with any of them.

Moon's trip to Russia is partly aimed at winning Moscow's support
    for new and stronger sanctions against the communist North
    for its latest nuclear test staged Sunday.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 09-04-2017 at 05:04 PM.

South Korean President Assures Citizens Trump Must Get His Approval To Attack North Korea

China Closes North Korean Border Crossing

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...order-crossing

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast