Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: statins

statins

My LDL was 106 and my doctor wants me to take statins. I've heard bad things about them and would rather try to reverse with diet. When I told him that he sent me a crappy email stating theres nothing that will reverse it but statin drugs. For all I know he's getting kickbacks from the drug companies because he tries to push so many on me.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    My LDL was 106 and my doctor wants me to take statins. I've heard bad things about them and would rather try to reverse with diet. When I told him that he sent me a crappy email stating theres nothing that will reverse it but statin drugs. For all I know he's getting kickbacks from the drug companies because he tries to push so many on me.
    Eat lots of garlic!

Lower Cholesterol Naturally and Fast
    https://draxe.com/lower-cholesterol-naturally-fast/

More info:
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/search/g...e#gsc.q=Lowing LDL
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

What is your HDL and triglyceride levels?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

106 is not high btw.. it is considered "close to ideal", even by the establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What is your HDL and triglyceride levels?
    HDL - 63
    Triglycerides - 130

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    106 is not high btw.. it is considered "close to ideal", even by the establishment.
    he's trying to tell me it should be 70. I am borderline diabetic so I guess I am more at risk.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 08-22-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Eat lots of garlic!

Lower Cholesterol Naturally and Fast
    https://draxe.com/lower-cholesterol-naturally-fast/

More info:
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/search/g...e#gsc.q=Lowing LDL
    Thanks Donnay

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    HDL - 63
    Triglycerides - 130
    Your HDL levels are pretty good, you actually want them to be higher. Mine are in the high 80s last I tested, but over 60 is very good. Over 60, even according to the establishment is protective against heart disease.

Your triglycerides are within range, you want these to be as low as possible and under 150 is considered best. Mine are actually around 40, I've tested as low as 38. I have yet to meet anybody with triglyceride numbers as low as mine, and the lower the better. If you reduce your carb intake, you will reduce your triglyceride levels.

But read the article I posted about LDL and HDL, they aren't exact measurements and they don't tell you everything you need to know.. but personally if I had your readings, barring anything else unusual I would absolutely not go on statins.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-22-2017 at 04:31 PM.

he's trying to tell me it should be 70. I am borderline diabetic so I guess I am more at risk.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...68_Article.jsp

Cholesterol Abnormalities & Diabetes

Using a blood sample taken after a brief period of fasting by the patient, a lipoprotein profile reveals the following lipid measures:

• Low-density-lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol = "bad" cholesterol
      A high LDL-C level is associated with a higher risk for CVD. However, your LDL number should no longer be the main factor in guiding treatment to prevent heart attack and stroke, according to the latest guidelines from the American Heart Association. For patients taking statins, it’s important to work with your doctor to manage your LDL appropriately. A diet high in saturated and trans fats can raise your LDL cholesterol.
    • High-density-lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol = "good" cholesterol
      With HDL-C, higher levels are associated with a lower risk for CVD. Low HDL cholesterol puts you at higher risk for heart disease. People with high blood triglycerides usually also have lower HDL cholesterol. Genetic factors, type 2 diabetes, and certain drugs, such as beta-blockers and anabolic steroids, also lower HDL cholesterol levels. Smoking, being overweight and being sedentary can all contribute to lower HDL cholesterol.
    • Triglycerides
      Triglyceride is the most common type of fat in the body. Normal triglyceride levels vary by age and sex. A high triglyceride level combined with low HDL cholesterol or high LDL cholesterol is associated with atherosclerosis, the buildup of fatty deposits in artery walls that increases the risk for heart attack, peripheral artery disease (PAD) and stroke.

LDL cholesterol levels should be less than 100 mg/dL. Levels of 100 to 129 mg/dL are acceptable for people with no health issues but may be of more concern for those with heart disease or heart disease risk factors. A reading of 130 to 159 mg/dL is borderline high and 160 to 189 mg/dL is high.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-22-2017 at 04:30 PM.

if you are borderline diabetic you should stop eating bread pasta and baked goods
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Statins are pretty serious medicines. They should only be used in serious cases. You need to have your blood and liver/ kidneys regularly monitored while you are on them. Ask about alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    if you are borderline diabetic you should stop eating bread pasta and baked goods
    i eat mostly plant based

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Statins are pretty serious medicines. They should only be used in serious cases. You need to have your blood and liver/ kidneys regularly monitored while you are on them. Ask about alternatives.
    Oh I'm not..I am actually probably going to start looking for a new doctor. He basically told me I should take them even if I don't need them. I've already had issues with him wanting to prescribe meds my insurance won't even cover.

This is what he replied to me when I told him I wanted to try and reduce it with diet:

. You cannot just fix this with diet and exercise. Even with good cholesterol numbers, I would still recommend it.
    The news, magazines, and your friends cannot give you good advice.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 08-22-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Oh I'm not..I am actually probably going to start looking for a new doctor. He basically told me I should take them even if I don't need them. I've already had issues with him wanting to prescribe meds my insurance won't even cover.

This is what he replied to me when I told him I wanted to try and reduce it with diet:
    That doctor is too arrogant to be a good doctor. You are not a second-class citizen--time for a new doctor, indeed.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    That doctor is too arrogant to be a good doctor. You are not a second-class citizen--time for a new doctor, indeed.
    I know right? He's basically telling me to shut up and do what he says!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep.. fire him

Statins Are the Greatest Medical Fraud of All Time: Study Reports
    A new study clarifies that statins are the greatest medical fraud of all time. The claims made for them are false. The amount of harm they do is staggering, resulting in millions of lives devastated and ended. The worst part of all, though, is that it was entirely predictable—but studies were designed to hide the truth. The media, the health agencies, and the doctors all provided cover for Big Pharma. After all, there was money to be made.
    by Heidi Stevenson
    Statins are one of the most dangerous drugs prescribed by doctors. The risks from them were obvious before they were ever marketed. Nonetheless, they are among the best selling drugs of all time. Finally, genuine science has been looking at their adverse effects and lack of benefit to document the truth that was obvious from the beginning:
    Statins are the greatest medical fraud ever perpetrated.
    A new review of the science reports:
    The statin industry, with all of its spin-off(s), is a 20-billion-a-year industry. We are observing the revealing of the utmost medical tragedy of all times. It is unprecedented that the healthcare industry has inadvertently induced life-threatening nutrient deficiency in millions of otherwise healthy people.[1]
    The only point on which I can disagree is the statement that the travesty of statins was somehow “inadvertent”. There is, in fact, absolutely no excuse for it.
    The authors of the study, Sherif Sultan and Niamh Hynes, have produced a paper that is utterly condemnatory of the use of statins. Not only do they condemn the drugs, they also condemn the pseudo science behind it. Though they don’t state it, and obviously could not take such a risk, there is simply no way around the fact that the science behind statins has been largely fraudulent, and that fraud has been perpetrated by Big Pharma.
    So what did the study actually say?
    Sultan and Hynes reviewed a large number of studies, using Pubmed, EM-BASE, and Cochrane review databases to find them. They focused primarily on clinical reviews, meta-analyses, and large-scale randomised controlled trials. The entire list of studies they selected is included in their paper, which you can read because it isn’t hidden behind a pay wall.
    They stated:
    We seem to have fallen into the marketing trap and ignored the niggling side effects with regard to the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors
    The “we” the authors referred to was the medical industry. HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors are statins. Their function is to interfere with HMG-CoA, which is a molecule that’s a precursor to cholesterol. Of course, the purpose of a statin is to reduce cholesterol, which they do accomplish.
    So what’s the problem? As the authors state:
    Cholesterol is crucial for energy, immunity, fat metabolism, leptin, thyroid hormone activity, liver related synthesis, stress intolerance, adrenal function, sex hormone
    syntheses and brain function.
    Cholesterol is a primary requirement for an enormous array of absolutely critical functions in the body. Obviously, if cholesterol is reduced, then health must be harmed:
    ?Energy levels must be reduced.
    ?There must be interference with fat metabolism.
    ?The thyroid must not be able to function properly.
    ?Our ability to deal with stress is stressed.
    ?The adrenal glands’ functions must be damaged.
    ?Sexual function and reproductive ability must suffer.
    ?Our brain must be damaged, which can mean any part of our existence may be harmed, including mental functioning, autonomic processes, coordination, and every other function, including the heart.
    There is simply no excuse for not recognizing that not only is there an obvious risk inherent in statins, but that it would be stunning if they didn’t produce harm.
    The Benefit of Statins
    In terms of benefit, the authors noted that the only people who are helped at all are middle aged men who have already suffered heart attacks. (Readers of Gaia Health will be familiar with this fact, as it’s been stated here many times.) And that benefit is minimal. In fact, the authors point out that statins produce less benefit for these men than aspirin. Please note that Gaia Health does not support aspirin as a treatment for heart disease, either.
    In effect, statins produce not one whit of benefit to anyone in any manner.
    The Adverse Effects of Statins
    The authors found that, for every 10,000 individuals in good health who take statins:
    ?307 extra patients suffer from cataracts.
    ?23 additional patients develop acute kidney failure.
    ?74 extra patients develop liver dysfunction.
    ?Statins increase muscle fatigue by 30% and cause an 11.3% incidence of rhabdomyolysis at high doses.
    ?They also state, “What’s more, it induces inflammatory myopathy, including necrotizing autoimmune myopathy with immunosuppression and the statin-related myopathy can last for 12 months.”
    They also point out that statins cause erectile dysfunction, and that young men suffer 10 times as much erectile dysfunction on low doses of statins. Beyond all these adverse effects:
    ?According to the FDA’s adverse event reporting system, about 40 out of every 10,000 statin reports are for interstitial lung disease, which causes scarring in the lungs that is almost never reversible.
    ?Statins cause hyperglycemia after eating in both diabetics and nondiabetics.
    ?Statins “induce full blown type 2 diabetes in women.”
    ?Statins increase the risk of developing HbA1c in people with and without diabetes. HbA1c is a condition that causes glucose to stick to hemoglobin, which is an indicator of greater harm from diabetes.
    ?Statins prescribed to the elderly cause a 9% increase in diabetes.
    ?Statins can cause insulin resistance.
    ?A correlation between Parkinson’s disease and low cholesterol exists, which clearly implicates statins.
    ?A correlation between statins and early-onset cataracts has been found. Statin users may be 50% more likely to develop cataracts early.
    Here’s the most shocking health risk of statins:
    [S]tatin use is associated with an increased prevalence and extent of coronary plaques calcification. Ironically for a drug which was marketed to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, the confirm registry identified a strong association of statin use to the progression of coronary artery plaque features.
    This isn’t simply irony. Statins increase the harm that they are supposedly meant to decrease!
    In relation to this particular heart risk, the authors also found that:
    Statin use was correlated with a greater incidence of severe coronary artery stenosis as well as increase in the numbers of coronary vessels developing obstructive coronary artery disease. Furthermore, statin use was linked to an increase in the prevalence and extent of mixed calcific plaque. Five prospective studies have borne witness to the fact that statin therapy does not induce any coronary calcium regression and evolution of
    coronary calcium continues regardless of statin treatment
    That is, statins increase the narrowing of coronary arteries, which can only increase the chance of heart attacks. They increase the development of obstructive coronary artery disease. Statins may increase calcium-related arterial plaques.
    Statins also produce a significant increase in the risk of cancer and neurodegenerative dysfunction in the elderly.
    The authors point out even more than this—but just how much more do you need to know? Statins are health destroyers.
    Intentionally Hiding the Facts
    The study points out that statins may increase the risk for nonmelanoma skin cancers by 1.6 times. The authors then state:
    For unknown reasons, since these publications the squamous cell carcinoma has been excluded in all reports from subsequent statin trials.
    Is there any way to interpret that other than that the statin industry does not want there to be more evidence that statins cause skin cancer?
    The authors referenced studies that had claimed to demonstrate benefits from statins. However, when they were reanalyzed by independent scientists—that is, scientists who genuinely didn’t have ties to Big Pharma—they found that the claimed results were false. The studies actually showed that statins produced no benefit and a great deal of harm.
    Cohorts in Crime
    It’s bad enough that Big Pharma produces studies that can only be called junk science to give an impression that statins are effective and safe. It’s obviously fraudulent, and all those who have willingly taken part in such studies—whether by paying for them or doing them—should be prosecuted criminally. There is simply no way to get around the fact that, at the very least, many of these people are guilty of negligent homicide by providing false evidence of both efficacy and safety.
    News Media
    The news industry has also been guilty, as this study was published over two months ago, yet there’s been virtually no coverage by the mainstream media. This is news that could save the lives of millions of people, yet the mainstream media hasn’t bothered with it. Clearly, their interests are not in real news, but are in their owners’ financial interests. Every mainstream media corporation in the United States is owned by another corporation that also owns at least one major pharmaceutical corporation or is controlled by someone with heavy interests in them. For example:
    ?News Corporation owns Viacom.
    ?Ropert Murdoch founded News Corporation.
    ?Murdoch sits on the board of GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).
    If that weren’t enough, consider also that the pharmaceutical industry is, by far, the biggest advertiser on mainstream media. To suggest that the news media hasn’t also been complicit is either naive or intentionally misleading. The mainstream news media has clearly determined that their duty, to provide information that the public needs, is not their concern.
    Health Agencies
    The agencies that are supposed to protect us from harmful health products, such as the FDA, the CDC, and the NIH, have all been complicit in the promotion of statins. Even now, the CDC strongly recommends the use of statins. The FDA does nothing more than add warnings to the package inserts of statins, an utterly meaningless endeavor that has never been shown to have any significant effect on sales of drugs. The NIH states, “Statins are relatively safe for most people.”
    It’s obvious that our health agencies are acting almost exclusively as marketing agents for Big Pharma.
    Doctors
    Last, but certainly not least, are the doctors who prescribe statins. They tend to argue that it’s not their fault, that they can only go by the studies. But the reality is that it’s their job to stand between their patients and dangerous drugs. If they are unable or unwilling to do their jobs—which is clearly the case for any of them who prescribe statins without informing their patients of the risks and almost complete lack of benefit—then they are no different than those who produce pseudo science, junk science, or outright fraudulent science to support these poisons. At a minimum, they are guilty of failing in their duty to their patients. They may also be guilty of negligent homicide for any patient who dies as a result of their lack of diligence.
    The Greatest Medical Fraud of All Time
    Statins are the greatest medical fraud of all time. It had to be known from the very beginning that they would likely produce a great deal of harm. As the authors point out, statins interfere with the production of cholesterol, thus producing deficits in metabolic functions that are necessary for life.
    There is, therefore, no excuse for doctors not to know.
    There is no excuse for the news media not to do the research that would have shown them the fraud being perpetrated.
    There is no excuse for the health agencies that approved statins or the ones that promote them. They had to have the relevant information.
    And finally, there is no excuse for the doctors, because they should have known. If they didn’t, then they were derelict in their duty.
    Everyone involved in the development, marketing, approval, promotion, and prescription of statins is guilty of perpetrating the greatest medical fraud of all time. Tallying up the death toll is most likely impossible, but there can be little doubt that the numbers run into multiple millions.

From the source here
    http://gaia-health.com/conventional-...study-reports/
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Make sure when you say diet and exercise you do both. Your doctor sounds like an arrogant so-and-so.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I know right? He's basically telling me to shut up and do what he says!
    No kidding. My challenge to him would be come there and live your life for one month before he shoots his mouth off again. You are working a lot to try to make ends meet and pay medical bills. And care for your son. You might try some yoga for stress management. The breathing and stretching might help balance some of that.
    #NashvilleStrong

Honestly, the fact that you would prefer to get medical advice from us anonymous miscreants here in a dying political forum rather than your primary care physician tells me you probably should get a different doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Honestly, the fact that you would prefer to get medical advice from us anonymous miscreants here in a dying political forum rather than your primary care physician tells me you probably should get a different doctor.
    I can't imagine how it feels to be deliberately negative and unkind.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I can't imagine how it feels to be deliberately negative and unkind.
    Nor can I. Truly sad.

Olive oil supplementation raises good cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Olive oil supplementation raises good cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol.
    High cholesterol runs in both my family and husband's. I eat a lot of olives and use olive oil, husband does not. Guess who is on the cholesterol drug?
    #NashvilleStrong

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    High cholesterol runs in both my family and husband's. I eat a lot of olives and use olive oil, husband does not. Guess who is on the cholesterol drug?
    Everybody's body is different, you gotta do what works for you.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Everybody's body is different, you gotta do what works for you.
    I don't think it is working for him. His cholesterol is still high and he's tired all the time. Every drug has its side effects.
    #NashvilleStrong

I don't think it is working for him. His cholesterol is still high and he's tired all the time. Every drug has its side effects.
    I recommend the olive oil for anybody with cholesterol problems, I just don't insist on anything to anybody, especially over the internet.
    You and he are the best ones to judge what is best.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I would use a lot more olives in my cooking if husband was a little more amenable to them. He can eat almost anything, but he has a bit of a problem with olives.
    #NashvilleStrong

My H took statins and we all know that he died from Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). While he was in the hospital they kept asking if he was a diabetic, his kidneys were failing plus, his lungs were messed up. All of these symptoms seem like they could be side effects of the Statins. He did not smoke, ate a very healthy diet, very light drinker, not at all fat yet was being treated for both high BP and cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    My H took statins and we all know that he died from Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). While he was in the hospital they kept asking if he was a diabetic, his kidneys were failing plus, his lungs were messed up. All of these symptoms seem like they could be side effects of the Statins. He did not smoke, ate a very healthy diet, very light drinker, not at all fat yet was being treated for both high BP and cholesterol.
    I'm on diabetes meds but working to get away from them. Not sure why my doc wants me to take soomething known to cause diabetes. I'm seriousy wondering if he is getting kickbacks from the drug companies. Anyhoo..I'm switching to a lifestyle doctor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast