Thread: New York Police Dept union: Cops are victims of "blue racism"

New York Police Dept union: Cops are victims of "blue racism"

NYPD union: Cops are victims of 'blue racism'
    Michael Walsh
    Reporter
    Yahoo NewsAugust 21, 2017

The NYPD sergeants union says that cops are the victims of “blue racism,” and it’s facing backlash from critics who call the claim tone-deaf.

Ed Mullins, the president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association, hopes the concept of blue racism will help ease the tensions between law enforcement and the communities they serve and debunk the stereotype of cops as biased and racist.

“Something is occurring where law enforcement is becoming the target of this national racist issue, this back and forth, and being labeled the bad guy when we’re not the bad guy, we’re actually the good guy,” Mullins told Yahoo News.

On Sunday night, the police union released a controversial video that claims police officers are judged not by race or ethnicity but “an even broader stereotype, through an even more racist lens.”

“When they look at me, they see blue,” the narrator says. “To be blue, I and over 700,000 brother and sisters swore an oath to uphold the constitution of my country, my state and my city, so help me God. Yet, even in such numbers, I’m a minority as this strange form of racism continues to engulf the country.”
    Sgt. Ed Mullins, head of the Sergeants Benevolent Association, speaks to the media May 31, 2017. (Photo: Frank Franklin II/AP)

The video, which includes audio of the notorious “dead cops chant,” was based on an essay by John Pappas. It was written after NYPD officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu were murdered in December 2014 as supposed retribution for the deaths of Eric Garner on Staten Island, N.Y., and Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. Similar incidents include the killing of five Dallas cops and the killing of three Baton Rouge cops in July 2016.

“The purpose of the video was to highlight blue racism, blue bias, whatever term, and get people to understand that we too feel this bias, racism, no different from the people who’ve been affected by it for many years. We don’t agree with it. Nobody should agree with it,” Mullins said.

The video sparked almost immediate backlash on social media. Critics said the police union doesn’t appear to understand racism, defined by Merriam-Webster as “a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.”

For critics, even as an analogy, the concept of blue racism simply doesn’t hold up and belittles the discrimination — including harassment from police officers — faced by people of color.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nyc-polic...172830739.html
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    'Stooge attack dogs for the oligarchy' is considered a 'race' now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

*snip*
    “When they look at me, they see blue,” the narrator says. “To be blue, I and over 700,000 brother and sisters swore an oath to uphold the constitution of my country, my state and my city, so help me God. Yet, even in such numbers, I’m a minority as this strange form of racism continues to engulf the country.”
    That's what happens when you join a violent gang and deny your OTHER brothers and sisters.

May you get the snot blessed out of you, so you can see the error of your ways and make some positive changes.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Exclamation Blue Racism

Police Union Tries to Cast Criticism of Police as 'Blue Racism'

http://reason.com/blog/2017/08/23/an...ticism#comment

A desperate attempt to deflect accountability shows exactly what they think of themselves.

Scott Shackford|Aug. 23, 2017 3:45 pm

The New York Police Department Sergeants Benevolent Association is catching hell—deservedly so—for a YouTube video titled Blue Racism.

The union's video is exactly what its title suggests it is. It suggests that mass criticism of police behavior is akin to actual racism, judging people on the basis of wearing a blue uniform. The video quotes a part of the "I have a dream" speech by Martin Luther King Jr.—except it alters the quote so that it no longer says that King wants his children to not be judged by the "color of their skin." Their version of quote just says "color."

This video is not about trying to forge better relationships between officers and the community. It's about a police union holding itself completely blameless for any and all problems between officers and the citizenry they allegedly serve. It's a police union asking us why we are causing such a problem for them.

One hardly knows where to begin a response. The news accounts of the backlash are almost funny. The stories are relatively short, because the awfulness of the video barely needs an explanation. Even Vox sort of throws up its hands in its explainer of why blue isn't a race and what the actual source of the problems are between law enforcement and citizens, particularly actual racial minorities.

The video's "It's not us, it's you" mentality perfectly encapsulates the mindset of police unions. These unions have used their power to prevent individual officers from being held accountable for misconduct, making it much harder for police departments to get rid of bad cops. This is one of the top drivers of conflict between police and their communities.

How tone-deaf is the Sergeants Benevolent Association to this problem? At about 1:30 into the video, while the narrator complains that police are being "vilified" for their work, it shows a clip of Sgt. Hugh Barry being indicted for homicide for fatally shooting a mentally ill woman last year. (Strangely, the video mislabels the indictment as Barry's "sentencing." He has not yet even been convicted.)

That is to say, it shows a police officer being held accountable for conduct that resulted in a person's death and being held accountable in a way that respects due process and his right to a trial. And it presents this as an example of the outrageous abuses police face. Just the process of holding a police officer accountable for his behavior is wrong, according the video.

The union's president told CNN that his "goal" in calling criticism of police "racism" was to "create dialogue, to lead credible people to bring solutions to the forefront."

Here's a credible solution for you: Stop protecting bad cops from the consequences of their behavior.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

I got the Somali Blues......
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Oh $#@!, I'm so Blue...

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Merged.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Stooge attack dogs for the oligarchy' is considered a 'race' now?
    I always considered them a race .

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I got the Somali Blues......
    When those blue guys start looking like somali pirates pointing RPG's at me I am no longer leaving the 12 Ga and 30 Cal rifle in the truck , I am carrying both of those too.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Police Union Tries to Cast Criticism of Police as 'Blue Racism'

http://reason.com/blog/2017/08/23/an...ticism#comment
    STOP RACISM

The union's president told CNN that his "goal" in calling criticism of police "racism" was to "create dialogue, to lead credible people to bring solutions to the forefront."
    That would be the first time the term "racism" ever created dialogue.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

It's not something you see every day -- a video of an elderly Austin woman dancing with a police officer.
    But that video, captured on dash camera, is capturing the hearts of people in the city and beyond.

Austin Police Sgt. Kim Lenz was driving near the city's downtown last week
    when she noticed Millie Seiver dancing alone in the parking lot of her apartment building.
    Lenz drove up, turned up her squad car's radio, got out and started dancing with Seiver.
    The heartwarming moment was "very unexpected," Seiver said.
    "I don't know, I was just so amazed, I was so shocked, I didn't think it would go any further than that," she said.
    "Probably a little proud, I suppose, of the fact that it drew attention that I'm able to do what I can do."

Those who know Millie said it's no surprise, as she loves to dance and is quite good at it.
    "Yup, yup, always dancing. At her 90th birthday party, we were out dancing because I love to dance too," Seiver's granddaughter Tammie Maus-Sutphen said.
    And at 92, Seiver is proving age is just a number and hopes other people will get out and join her.
    "I'd like to see more people be more active, out walking and things like that," she said.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 08-24-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Should have seen this coming. Wow, just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post

It's not something you see every day -- a video of an elderly Austin woman dancing with a police officer.
    But that video, captured on dash camera, is capturing the hearts of people in the city and beyond.

Austin Police Sgt. Kim Lenz was driving near the city's downtown last week
    when she noticed Millie Seiver dancing alone in the parking lot of her apartment building.
    Lenz drove up, turned up her squad car's radio, got out and started dancing with Seiver.
    The heartwarming moment was "very unexpected," Seiver said.
    "I don't know, I was just so amazed, I was so shocked, I didn't think it would go any further than that," she said.
    "Probably a little proud, I suppose, of the fact that it drew attention that I'm able to do what I can do."

Those who know Millie said it's no surprise, as she loves to dance and is quite good at it.
    "Yup, yup, always dancing. At her 90th birthday party, we were out dancing because I love to dance too," Seiver's granddaughter Tammie Maus-Sutphen said.
    And at 92, Seiver is proving age is just a number and hopes other people will get out and join her.
    "I'd like to see more people be more active, out walking and things like that," she said.
    Thanks for sharing, that made my day.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yea, racism, surely, it's really just that simple:

...Say, remember the good ol' days when civil servants, in their professional capacities, were to stay out of politics?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Yep, the word "Racism" means absolutely nothing anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

This belongs here:

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This would have been a brilliant campaign a few years ago, back when using the race card meant instantly winning an argument even when your side was devoid of facts or logic.

Now racism used in an argument wins you an eye roll.