Thread: 5 Surprising Benefits Of Popcorn

5 Surprising Benefits Of Popcorn

5 Surprising Benefits Of Popcorn

Popcorn may only seem like a delicious snack for movie theaters and comfy nights at home, but there are also many health benefits associated with this air-popped food that most people have never heard of. The health benefits of popcorn include its ability to regulate blood sugar, lower cholesterol levels, improve the digestive process, protect against osteoporosis, prevent cancer, inhibit cognitive decline, prevent premature aging, and help you lose weight.

What Is Popcorn?
    Popcorn is quite simply, a type of corn that has a hard endosperm, hull, or shell, containing a starchy interior. When this popping corn is heated, the pressure inside the hull increases and eventually a POP! occurs. There are a number of varieties of popcorn, including types that are meant to be cooked in a microwave, as well as other unaltered kernels that can be made in small appliances specifically made for popping corn.

Historically, there is evidence that popcorn has been enjoyed by cultures for more than 6,000 years, since corn (maize) has been an important part of many cultural diets in ancient times. Simple heating of that plant product over a fire would have created the very first popcorn, what a pleasant surprise! The earlier archaeological discoveries of popcorn were in Peru, but New Mexico and Central America also showed remnants of popcorn creation approximately 5,000 years ago. Popcorn can even come in different colors, if different color corn kernels are used.

Popcorn is enjoyed around the world, in nearly every place where normal corn is consumed. However, its limit as a healthy food ends when you begin pouring salt, butter, or other flavorings or toppings on the popcorn, and then it moves into the realm of unhealthy junk food. However, if popped corn is eaten plain, it is both a delicious and beneficial snack for many people. Heat alone is enough to create popcorn, so avoid cooking with olive oil or other vegetable oils, since it can impact the polyphenolic content of the hull once it “pops”, which removes a lot of the healthy benefits.

Popcorn Nutrition Facts
    The health benefits of popcorn are mainly derived from its impressive content of fiber, polyphenolic compounds, antioxidant, vitamin B complex, manganese, and magnesium content. Let’s explore how these important nutrients make popcorn a healthy choice for your snacking habits!

Health Benefits Of Popcorn
    Eating popcorn provides energy along with many benefits that include the following:

Improves Digestion
    It is important to realize that popcorn is a whole grain, which is a designation for grains that contain the endosperm, germ, and bran. This is similar to whole grain cereals, rice, and breads that also contain all three of these vital parts. Since popcorn is a natural whole grain, it contains all of the fiber from the bran, not to mention the minerals, B complex vitamins, and vitamin E that is stored there. In terms of digestion, the high fiber content keeps your body “regular”, meaning that your bowel movements move smoothly and quickly through your digestive tract and conditions like constipation are avoided. Fiber stimulates peristaltic motion of the smooth intestinal muscles and induces the secretion of digestive juices, both of which help keep your entire digestive system healthy.

Lowers Cholesterol Levels
    Fiber functions in another beneficial way within the body, and whole grains contain the type of fiber which can strip off excess cholesterol from the walls of blood vessels and arteries, thereby reducing your overall cholesterol levels, and lowering your chances of dangerous cardiovascular conditions like atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes. This also reduces the strain on the cardiac system, since the heart doesn’t need to work so hard to move blood through clogged vessels and arteries.

Controls Blood Sugar
    The third vital role of fiber is its impact on blood sugar within the body. When the body has ample amounts of fiber, it regulates the release and management of blood sugar and insulin levels better than people with low levels of fiber. Reducing these fluctuations in blood sugar is a major bonus for diabetic patients, so popcorn is always a recommendation if you suffer from that difficult disease.

Cancer Prevention
    Researchers in recent years have been shocked to find an amazingly large amount of antioxidant capacity within popcorn. It used to be considered a relatively unhealthy junk food, but it now appears that the hull of popcorn contains large amounts of polyphenolic compounds, one of the more powerful types of antioxidants that you can put in your body. In fact, research has even shown that popcorn consumption can do more for the antioxidant potential in your body that a daily dose of fruits and vegetables! Antioxidants are the powerful defensive agents that scavenge and eliminate free radicals, those byproducts of cellular metabolism that are associated with a variety of diseases in the body, particularly cancer. Free radicals are notorious for mutating healthy cellular DNA into cancerous cells, which is a big problem. Popcorn can seriously help reduce those risks.

Prevents Aging
    Free radicals do a lot more damage than cancer; they have been closely linked to of age-related symptoms like wrinkles, age spots, macular degeneration and blindness, muscle weakness, cognitive decline, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, hair loss, and a wide variety of other things we generally don’t look forward to as we age. Popcorn can keep you feeling healthy and happy well into your old age thanks to the powerful antioxidants that combat these effects of free radicals.

Weight Loss
    A normal cup of popped popcorn contains only 30 calories, which is approximately 5 times less than the same amount of greasy potato chips. Furthermore, the fiber content in popcorn makes you feel full, and inhibits the release of the hunger hormone, ghrelin. This can prevent overeating and keep people who are battling the bulge happy and thin, without making them feel like they aren’t eating enough. Popcorn is also very low in saturated fats, and its natural oils are primarily healthy and essential in the body.

A Few Words of Warning

Popcorn certainly seems like a healthy snack, but the vast majority of people douse it in salt, butter, or other toppings that negate much of the positive impact that popcorn can have on the body. Also, avoid pre-packaged microwave popcorn, as it usually has butter and salt already included, and the packaging has been under some speculation. Once the popcorn begins to pop, some of the chemicals in the packaging material actually break down or destroy the phenolic compounds of the hull, severely decreasing its impact on protecting your body against free radicals.

Other than these few words of warning, pop in a good movie, fix yourself a big bowl of popcorn, and get healthy!

References
    http://link.springer.com/article/10....032-012-9816-6
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...35580903285114
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/5/1011S.short
    http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/se...rdID=US8629334
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/69/1/30.short
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/77/3/622.short
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...90822/abstract
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...23181110000782
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1....2005.163/full
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...esignal21aug17
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like some popcorn in my butter and salt.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    I like some popcorn in my butter and salt.

I like to shake some nutritional yeast on my hot popcorn. It taste like cheese but I am getting important B vitamins in the process.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I was just diagnosed with Diverticulitus, so I probably got to lay off popcorn for a while.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I was just diagnosed with Diverticulitus, so I probably got to lay off popcorn for a while.

https://draxe.com/diverticulitis-diet/

Thanks I'm pretty sure it was a combination of my dads' genetics, lots of stress this year, not drinking enough water and a real downturn in eating healthy.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Deepest sympathies. Popcorn is life.

Thanks I'm pretty sure it was a combination of my dads' genetics, lots of stress this year, not drinking enough water and a real downturn in eating healthy.
    You're welcome. It's nothing that cannot be fixed or reversed.

Keep the inflammation down. Turmeric is great for that.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Deepest sympathies. Popcorn is life.
    Yep. I ate a whole bucket with my family at a movie in June which is probably just one factor in all of this. Doctor told me a few handfuls is OK, but to me if I don't have a bag, then a handful is just a tease.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

Please add to the delight by talking about the amazing health benefits of butter.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I can only tolerate it with butter on it. Otherwise it's too bland and dry for me. Not sure what's with the butter-hate, tho. (unless it's fake butter-that I can understand)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

It is yummy with parmesan cheese or onion powder, or other seasonings. Pick what you like.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I pick these up sometimes. I'm not sure how 'Smart' this Smartfood Popcorn is or what has been added, but it might help with digestion a little.