Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Modern American left. "Diversity Makes America Great"

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    There are other ways to found a nation, I am not concerned so much with how my nation came to be because I can't change it and those who founded it didn't know any better, the whole of human history was entirely composed of conquest.
    It is possible for conquest to be justified, ancient Israel being the best example, so I prefer not to set myself up as a judge of times I didn't live in or philosophical questions I have not solved, like civilization vs. barbarism.
    But I can judge Imperialism in my own time and it does NOT add to human happiness.
    QED

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    QED
    What is proved?
    Has GOD spoken to you lately?
    Do you have some other argument for some conquest you wish to carry out? If you do I don't necessarily agree with it, I have only said that some conquest, sometime, somewhere COULD be justified.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What is proved?
    That, in some circumstances, conquest is justified.

I have only said that some conquest, sometime, somewhere COULD be justified.
    Yes I know. That is the Q in the QED.

That, in some circumstances, conquest is justified.

Yes I know. That is the Q in the QED.
    Did I ever say that there was no possibility of ANY conquest being justified?
    I remember arguing that as a general rule foreign intervention violated the rights of the foreigners but I never said there were absolutely no exceptions (most rules have exceptions), the case of ancient Israel that I cited was justified because GOD owns the world and is the judge, jury and executioner of justice, he could give the land to the Israelites and command the extermination of it's inhabitants, he is perfectly within his rights to give the order to "Kill them all and let me sort them out".
    If there was a tribe of cannibals that lived next door and they regularly raided into our territory to kill and kidnap that would probably also justify a conquest or possibly even an extermination, as I said I have not yet conquered the civilization vs. barbarism question.
    However in almost all cases in history the situation is not so clear cut so it is always best to lean towards non-interventionism.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Did I ever say that there was no possibility of ANY conquest being justified?
    I remember arguing that as a general rule foreign intervention violated the rights of the foreigners but I never said there were absolutely no exceptions (most rules have exceptions), the case of ancient Israel that I cited was justified because GOD owns the world and is the judge, jury and executioner of justice, he could give the land to the Israelites and command the extermination of it's inhabitants, he is perfectly within his rights to give the order to "Kill them all and let me sort them out".
    If there was a tribe of cannibals that lived next door and they regularly raided into our territory to kill and kidnap that would probably also justify a conquest or possibly even an extermination, as I said I have not yet conquered the civilization vs. barbarism question.
    However in almost all cases in history the situation is not so clear cut so it is always best to lean towards non-interventionism.
    You didn't say so explicitly, but that appeared to me to be your position.

If not, well fine, we've been in agreement all along.

You didn't say so explicitly, but that appeared to me to be your position.

If not, well fine, we've been in agreement all along.
    Not total agreement but apparently closer than you thought.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Not total agreement but apparently closer than you thought.
    Yes, I mean agreement on this one issue.

Presumably we still disagree on the specific conditions under which conquest would be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Just say "no" to immigrants. Unless they were my ancestors. The country was great until those (French, German, Irish, Jewish, Italian, English, Japanese--- insert group here--) started coming.

Lack of diversity leads to inbreeding.
    I agree.

Diversity is great. Hating a bunch of people totally turns them in libs, wake up people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12