View Poll Results: Agree or Not

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

0 0%
  • Disagree

10 100.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't we use the military to build and repair roads etc. like the Romans?

Question Why don't we use the military to build and repair roads etc. like the Romans?

It would save tax money and give them something to do during peacetime.

UPDATE: Poll added.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 08-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Peacetime"........................Smirk

What is this peacetime that you talk about????

It's piss off government contractors and siphon off their generous donations from their government cronies.

Because most of the roman roads were actually built by private contractors not soldiers. Yes, some were buily by soldiers but the majority were done by the private industry.

Look it up

....Someone hasn't read up on the F-35, I see.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    It's piss off government contractors and siphon off their generous donations from their government cronies.
    This is a theoretical question about what WE should do if we ever get power.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    This is a theoretical question about what WE should do if we ever get power.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Because most of the roman roads were actually built by private contractors not soldiers. Yes, some were buily by soldiers but the majority were done by the private industry.

Look it up
    IF that is true that is not a reason we shouldn't do it, all that matters to my question is that the legions built and repaired many roads and bridges etc.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Government war on bad roads... more of that kind of fail? Hell no.

Toll roads and competition is the answer.

Seeing as our county gas tax will increase 23 cents per gallon over the next two years,
    I am totally ready to turn a stretch of the mortgage company's land into a money making alternative to public roads.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post

Seeing as our county gas tax will increase 23 cents per gallon over the next two years,
    I am totally ready to turn a stretch of the mortgage company's land into a money making alternative to public roads.
    You can have your private roads as long as we have government roads too, Public roads are necessary to ensure freedom of movement.
    And the question applies to more than just roads any government infrastructure should be built and maintained by the military.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I take it you are FOR my idea?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post

Look it up

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You can have your private roads as long as we have government roads too, Public roads are necessary to ensure freedom of movement.
    And the question applies to more than just roads any government infrastructure should be built and maintained by the military.
    Nay,
    good relationships are necessary to ensure freedom of movement. Anything else is a liberty eating scam.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

I take it you are FOR my idea?
    That would be a mistake.

You would do better to assume that the answer to your 'Why don't we use the Army to build... etc?' question is, who says we don't?

Agree or disagree with what? That we should? That we don't?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-17-2017 at 01:24 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    use prisoners..let them learn a skill

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    That would be a mistake.

You would do better to assume that the answer to your 'Why don't we use the Army to build... etc?' question is, who says we don't?
    The Army Corps of Engineers was civilianized long ago and they may build some Damns but they don't build and maintain most of our freeways, bridges, roads, airports etc.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I don't like to give the government an incentive to lock people up.
    If we still had the Draft I wouldn't want my idea.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post

Nay,
    good relationships are necessary to ensure freedom of movement. Anything else is a liberty eating scam.
    Good Neighbors are not guaranteed by life.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Public roads are necessary to ensure freedom of movement.
    There are concrete roads like Rt 222 between Lancaster and Reading Pennsylvania, which were laid down before the Eisenhower system, which literally have slight tire ruts in the concrete.
    Think about how many times you have to run vulcanized rubber over set concrete to wear a rut in it.
    That road isn't cracked. I don't know when it was laid but it was probably in the depression - so it's been there for about 70 years, getting pounded on by car after car, and it's still going strong.

Federal money can't get a road to last through more than 5 years of regular use. The secret of how to do it is right there, in an area of the US that has been populated by white folk for 400 years. But they won't do it.

But let me address the "freedom of movement" thing.... you don't think it's even a tiny bit suspicious that Eisenhower went to Europe and had a grand old time conquering Germany by moving around on the Autobahn.... and then thought that was exactly the thing we need in the US?

The interstate system exists primarily to move troops around. And it was born after troops were moved around during a conquest.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Also, let's not forget that if you give a damn about original intent, the clear original intent of having army spending expire after two years was so that THE ARMY WOULD LOSE FUNDING AND DISBAND.
    The United states isn't supposed to have a standing army.
    We are supposed to run a militia system. There aren't supposed to be bored soldiers to throw at public works boondoggles.

There are concrete roads like Rt 222 between Lancaster and Reading Pennsylvania, which were laid down before the Eisenhower system, which literally have slight tire ruts in the concrete.
    Think about how many times you have to run vulcanized rubber over set concrete to wear a rut in it.
    That road isn't cracked. I don't know when it was laid but it was probably in the depression - so it's been there for about 70 years, getting pounded on by car after car, and it's still going strong.

Federal money can't get a road to last through more than 5 years of regular use. The secret of how to do it is right there, in an area of the US that has been populated by white folk for 400 years. But they won't do it.
    I agree that we should use better materials to build our roads.

But let me address the "freedom of movement" thing.... you don't think it's even a tiny bit suspicious that Eisenhower went to Europe and had a grand old time conquering Germany by moving around on the Autobahn.... and then thought that was exactly the thing we need in the US?

The interstate system exists primarily to move troops around. And it was born after troops were moved around during a conquest.
    Whatever you want to believe about the Interstate system does not change the fact that we had public roads before then.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also, let's not forget that if you give a damn about original intent, the clear original intent of having army spending expire after two years was so that THE ARMY WOULD LOSE FUNDING AND DISBAND.
    We are supposed to run a militia system. There aren't supposed to be bored soldiers to throw at public works boondoggles.
    It was a compromise so it could be disbanded if we decided to, I happen to believe that we need a standing army in addition to the militia.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Whatever you want to believe about the Interstate system does not change the fact that we had public roads before then.
    And Rt 222 was one of them.
    What federal roads existed before then?
    Are you saying soldiers should work on state projects?
    How then do they decide which state?
    What precedent do you have for federal workers working on state public works projects?
    Sure, they have thrown money at plenty - but actually doing the work?

We sure weren't able to use their railroads until after we conquered them.

We also primarily used our railroads at home during the war, in order to save our limited rubber and gasoline for use over there.

This.

What precedent do you have for federal workers working on state public works projects?
    Sure, they have thrown money at plenty - but actually doing the work?
    And just the thrown money is a major source of federal tyranny. Washington takes money from us, then refuses to give it back to us unless our states jump through their hoops. And the Ninth and Tenth Amendments? WHAT Ninth and Tenth Amendments? Someone just threw them out the window.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-17-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Dude that's freaking genius. Can you imagine the state putting up a toll on a stretch of road only to have a private land owner make his own road to bypass the toll?? Put up a big ass sign that says "AVOID THE TOLL --->>>"
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I happen to believe that we need a standing army
    Then you are no friend of liberty.

This.
    It was a compromise so it could be disbanded if we decided to, I happen to believe that we need a standing army in addition to the militia.

And just the thrown money is a major source of federal tyranny. Washington takes money from us, then refuses to give it back to us unless our states jump through their hoops. And the Ninth and Tenth Amendments? WHAT Ninth and Tenth Amendments? Someone just threw them out the window.
    Section 8 - Powers of Congress
    To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast