View Poll Results: Agree or Not

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

0 0%
  • Disagree

10 100.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't we use the military to build and repair roads etc. like the Romans?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    If security considerations didn't demand that they perform some military task during peacetime (e.g. training), they'd be best released.

By not releasing them, you're misallocating resources: i.e. from whatever productive industries they'd enter, to nonsensical state road building.
    You obviously don't believe in a standing army, I do.
    IF you have a standing army they might as well be used to maintain government infrastructure during peace time.

The armies were mostly employed in Keynesian type activities, cyclically digging and filling ditches, etc, to keep them too busy for politics.

...that their work be productive was relatively unimportant.
    As I said to him:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    IF that is true that is not a reason we shouldn't do it, all that matters to my question is that the legions built and repaired many roads and bridges etc.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IF that is true that is not a reason we shouldn't do it, all that matters to my question is that the legions built and repaired many roads and bridges etc.
    Its called the Army Corps of Engineers, but do you really want the whole army conscripted for public works?

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Its called the Army Corps of Engineers, but do you really want the whole army conscripted for public works?

The Army Corps of Engineers was civilianized a long time ago.
    And yes that is what I am suggesting.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So take 90% of their workforce away, just to hand it over to another labor pool, only who don't have the numbers skilled in the field. Why not just cut the civilians out and privatize at that point?

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So take 90% of their workforce away, just to hand it over to another labor pool, only who don't have the numbers skilled in the field.
    Whose work force? Whoever you mean it doesn't matter, I want a smaller army that increases the size of the labor pool. And as far as the skill sets go, the army can train them, the required skills are similar to or the same as things the army already does and they can hire experts to teach any that aren't until the army has the required institutional memory.

Why not just cut the civilians out and privatize at that point?
    Privatization would be cutting the government out, what do you mean?
    In any case I am suggesting that the government do as much as possible with the army before hiring civilians.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

In any case I am suggesting that the government do as much as possible with the army before hiring civilians.
    If you're dead set on using existing government labor to build roads you'd be better off using bureaucrats.

Get the suit-n-tie, silk-panty crowd out in the dirt and sun and keep them away from pens and guns. No more edicts and no more 'enforcement' of the current edicts...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    If you're dead set on using existing government labor to build roads you'd be better off using bureaucrats.

Get the suit-n-tie, silk-panty crowd out in the dirt and sun and keep them away from pens and guns. No more edicts and no more 'enforcement' of the current edicts...
    I want them fired.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is a question of professional training and readiness, the Militia has it's place but you need Regulars as the backbone of your forces and to train the militia.
    If the purpose of regulars is to be professional and ready, why would you have them building roads?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    If the purpose of regulars is to be professional and ready, why would you have them building roads?
    They can do both.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They can do both.

They really can't.

They can do both.
    If they can be ready and professional without training full time, then why would you have them be full time?

Either readiness and professionalism requires them to be regulars, in which case having them building roads would be counterproductive, or else the needs of readiness and professionalism could be reached by a military/reserve/part time force of some description. You can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    If they can be ready and professional without training full time, then why would you have them be full time?

Either readiness and professionalism requires them to be regulars, in which case having them building roads would be counterproductive, or else the needs of readiness and professionalism could be reached by a military/reserve/part time force of some description. You can't have it both ways.
    You can't ask part-timers for more than a small fraction of their lives, at some point the life disruption is too great and they won't join unless it is full time, but full timers have enough time on their hands to do infrastructure work.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    It's piss off government contractors and siphon off their generous donations from their government cronies.
    Thread could have ended right here.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

You obviously don't believe in a standing army, I do.
    IF you have a standing army they might as well be used to maintain government infrastructure during peace time.
    If you're paying soldiers all year round, yet don't actually need them for military purposes all year round (incl. training, etc), you're wasting your money. The solution is to stop paying them during the time you don't need them; not give them busywork. It makes sense to have a standing army when you actually need soldiers to be "standing" 24/7/365; it does not make sense to have a standing army just to have "free" labor to build roads. It's the same in business. Sometimes, an employer will give an otherwise idle employee some fairly pointless busywork, but this is a result of miscalculation as to how much labor was needed; employers don't deliberately hire more labor than they need just to give their employees busywork.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 08-18-2017 at 04:29 PM.

If you're paying soldiers all year round, yet don't actually need them for military purposes all year round (incl. training, etc), you're wasting your money. The solution is to stop paying them during the time you don't need them; not give them busywork. It makes sense to have a standing army when you actually need soldiers to be "standing" 24/7/365; it does not make sense to have a standing army just to have "free" labor to build roads. It's the same in business. Sometimes, an employer will give an otherwise idle employee some fairly pointless busywork, but this is a result of miscalculation as to how much labor was needed; employers don't deliberately hire more labor than they need just to give their employees busywork.
    Nobody will join if you don't hire them on a year-round basis, people have to support themselves and their families.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Nobody will join if you don't hire them on a year-round basis, people have to support themselves and their families.
    You are aware that the national guard (for instance) exists?

You are aware that the national guard (for instance) exists?
    They are not "Regulars" they don't have the same proficiency that "Regulars" have unless they spent time in the "Regulars".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They are not "Regulars" they don't have the same proficiency that "Regulars" have unless they spent time in the "Regulars".
    Of course, but I was only rebutting your claim that "nobody will join if you don't hire them on a year-round basis."

Lots of people will join on a part-time basis.

Of course, but I was only rebutting your claim that "nobody will join if you don't hire them on a year-round basis."

Lots of people will join on a part-time basis.
    Two weeks and some week ends a year can be crammed into a normal life because we have laws to force employers to co-operate, if you increased the duty time it couldn't be made to fit with another job to support the man and his family the rest of the year.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Two weeks and some week ends a year can be crammed into a normal life because we have laws to force employers to co-operate, if you increased the duty time it couldn't be made to fit with another job to support the man and his family the rest of the year.
    Part-time armies have existed throughout history, with or without (mostly without) any such legal protections.

Haven't you yourself been saying you favor a standing army and a militia?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Part-time armies have existed throughout history, with or without (mostly without) any such legal protections.

Haven't you yourself been saying you favor a standing army and a militia?
    The amount of time required for Regulars to maintain professional competence is too great to accommodate any other job whether the militia can get along without the laws to make their employers co-operate or not.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The amount of time required for Regulars to maintain professional competence is too great to accommodate any other job
    Like building roads?

Like building roads?
    NO, you know very well I meant a paying position with a private company.
    There would be enough free time that the military could put them to work on infrastructure because it was already paying their year round salaries.
    NO private company is going to employ someone who has six months or more dedicated to the military when they could hire someone who is available all year.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

NO, you know very well I meant a paying position with a private company.
    There would be enough free time that the military could put them to work on infrastructure because it was already paying their year round salaries.
    NO private company is going to employ someone who has six months or more dedicated to the military when they could hire someone who is available all year.
    I'm really not sure what you're arguing at this point and, to be honest, this topic doesn't especially interest me, so I'm just going to leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I actually agree with you. In addition, defense in this day and age requires having quite a lot of very specialized equipment on hand, which must be maintained.

And I'd rather the standing army only be large enough to do these things. I don't care for the idea of maintaining a bunch of extra grunts to play roadworker.

Here I will never agree with you. We have a fine highway system in place. We have through routes which connect at state lines all over the continental U.S. Federal involvement has been growing, and so has federal tyranny. This is no coincidence. The federal government has used withholding of federal highway funds to force the states to enact all sorts of goofy tyranny, from changing drinking ages to operating drunk driving checkpoints to things completely unrelated to motor vehicles. I'm ready to repeal the federal motor fuels tax and be done with the whole thing.

And state militiamen being roadworkers is fine--they're militiamen, and by definition, they have day jobs. I don't care what those day jobs are. But I see no reason for state militias to take over road maintenance. They should be able to attract militiamen with a wider variety of interests and civilian skillsets than that.
    Going to have to disagree on this one, brother. It's fine for moving goods and materiel(that's what it was made for).For moving people-not so much. There are better models in Europe to emulate for moving civilian traffic around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Going to have to disagree on this one, brother. It's fine for moving goods and materiel(that's what it was made for).For moving people-not so much. There are better models in Europe to emulate for moving civilian traffic around.
    Eisenhower sold federal involvement in the Interstate system as a defense necessity. The highway systems of the various states were intended for domestic purposes, and the U.S. highway system (white shields) involved only enough federal involvement to encourage the states to knit their systems into a network that was suited to travel beyond their borders.

As for the European models, their highways aren't much to write home about. Most are designed, at best, to get you from one frontier checkpoint to another. At worst they're specifically designed to make you sell your car and vow to travel by rail next time.

Amusingly, the military seems to disagree with you about the Interstate system's sterling usefulness to them. One only seldom sees military convoys on them any more. They generally move their tanks around by rail and their men by the most fuel-inefficient method possible--jet transport aircraft.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-19-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

It would save tax money and give them something to do during peacetime.

UPDATE: Poll added.
    Can you stipulate that the army can use calones like the Roman army?

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Dude that's freaking genius. Can you imagine the state putting up a toll on a stretch of road only to have a private land owner make his own road to bypass the toll?? Put up a big ass sign that says "AVOID THE TOLL --->>>"
    In most cases you can skip the tollway taking State or US Routes. For example, Route 20 that runs parallel to the Indian and Ohio Turnpike toward Toledo.

I'm a truck driver and my cheapass company has a policy of having us run around the tollways. If big trucks can do it, cars can do it.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Can you stipulate that the army can use calones like the Roman army?

XNN
    The driving of the supply mule-train, and the care of the pack-animals, was in the hands of the legion's calones, professional camp-servants, most likely also on the army pay-roll, who accompanied the unit everywhere on campaign. These men were armed as light infantry and given basic combat-training, so that they could protect the mule-train and, in emergencies, the marching-camp itself. 200-300 calones would accompany each legion. (Calones were distinct from the personal servants – slaves or freedmen – whom officers generally took with them on campaign).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Roman_army

Sounds like a Transport MOS.

I would leave that to others who know better to decide.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This is a theoretical question about what WE should do if we ever get power.
    after disbanding the standing armies?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast