Thread: MSG IS HIDING UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES, EVEN IN YOUR FAVOURITE ‘ALL-NATURAL’ FOODS

MSG IS HIDING UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES, EVEN IN YOUR FAVOURITE ‘ALL-NATURAL’ FOODS

MSG IS HIDING UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES, EVEN IN YOUR FAVOURITE ‘ALL-NATURAL’ FOODS

ALANNA KETLERAUGUST 16, 2017

Monosodium Glutamate, more commonly known as MSG, is a flavour enhancer typically found in North American Chinese cuisine, canned foods, processed meats, and many prepackaged meals and snacks. A highly controversial ingredient, its safety remains a hot topic of debate, particularly since the Food and Drug Administration recognizes it as safe to consume but many studies have proven otherwise.

The controversy has prompted many restaurants to proudly display on their windows that they do not cook with MSG in an effort to appeal to health-conscious consumers — another fine example of what voting with your dollar can accomplish. Because of the myriad of confusion over this ingredient’s potential health risks, many people, myself included, have opted to avoid it altogether.

Safety Concerns Over MSG

Many studies have been conducted to prove that MSG does have negative side effects for some people who consume it. These side effects include, but are not limited to: burning sensations of the mouth head or neck, weakness of the arms or legs, headaches, and/or upset stomach.

It may not affect everyone right away, but the effects are cumulative, meaning that the substance can build up over time, until we reach what Dr. Russell Blaylock, author of Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, calls our “threshold of sensitivity.” MSG over-stimulates our nervous system, which excites our nerves and triggers an inflammatory response. Inflammation can be extremely damaging to the body, and anything that can cause inflammation should be avoided whenever possible.

Already Avoid MSG in Your Food?

Personally, I know if I’ve had MSG, because I get a pretty immediate headache. Something I recently learned, however, definitely threw me for a loop: Food manufacturers are aware of a growing public concern for additives such as MSG and have figured out a way to work around this by hiding MSG under innocuous sounding names. It is so important to check the labels and ingredient lists of the foods you’re eating, but what I have come to realize is, it is just as important to know what those ingredients are, and which of them you should avoid.

Here are some of the names MSG is always hiding behind, according to the Truth In Labelling website:

Glutamic Acid (E 620)
    Glutamate (E 620)
    Monosodium Glutamate (E 621)
    Monopotassium Glutamate (E 622)
    Calcium Glutamate (E 623)
    Monoammonium Glutamate (E 624)
    Magnesium Glutamate (E 625)
    Natrium Glutamate
    Yeast Extract
    Anything “hydrolyzed”
    Any “hydrolyzed protein”
    Calcium Caseinate
    Sodium Caseinate
    Yeast Food
    Yeast Nutrient
    Autolyzed Yeast
    Gelatin
    Textured Protein
    Soy Protein
    Soy Protein Concentrate
    Soy Protein Isolate
    Whey Protein
    Whey Protein Concentrate
    Whey Protein Isolate
    Anything “…protein”
    Vetsin
    Ajinomoto
    Names MSG is often hiding behind according to the Truth In Labelling website::

Carrageenan (E 407)
    Bouillon and broth
    Stock
    Any “flavors” or “flavoring”
    Natural Flavor
    Maltodextrin
    Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)
    Anything “ultra-pasteurized”
    Barley malt
    Pectin (E 440)
    Protease
    Anything “enzyme modified”
    Anything containing “enzymes”
    Malt extract
    Soy sauce
    Soy sauce extract
    Anything “protein fortified”
    Anything “fermented”
    Seasonings
    “Spices”

No! Not you, Kettle Chips…

Final Thoughts

The good news here is that, as the consumer, we have the power to vote with our dollars, and by avoiding products containing these ingredients, and raising awareness about them by sharing resources like this article, we force food manufacturers to either change the ingredients they use or risk bankruptcy. That is the strength behind raising awareness and putting your money where your mouth is. We have the power; we just have to remember that every time we make a purchase. Another great way to avoid MSG and many other sneaky and potentially harmful chemicals in our foods is to choose a whole foods diet. Remember: “Real food doesn’t have ingredients, real food is ingredients.”

Much Love
    http://www.collective-evolution.com/...zen.yandex.com
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My wife is very sensitive to MSG and also gets an instant headache when consumed, but this list is too big, even for my wife who is VERY conscientious about what goes in her body. I mean come on. "Yeast" "Carrageenan" "Soy Protein" "Soy Sauce" Anything "Fermented" ?? This is just too ridiculous to consider.

Don't get me wrong, it's good info, but silly all the same.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    My wife is very sensitive to MSG and also gets an instant headache when consumed, but this list is too big, even for my wife who is VERY conscientious about what goes in her body. I mean come on. "Yeast" "Carrageenan" "Soy Protein" "Soy Sauce" Anything "Fermented" ?? This is just too ridiculous to consider.

I am highly sensitive as well. A good rule of thumb is eat fresh foods and stay away of prepackaged foods and fast foods. MSG is in a lot of things because it fools us into thinking the food is great when it really isn't.

MSG is an excitotoxin just like aspartame and it will make people crave more carbs and gain weight.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I don't follow... why would MSG be called anything "whey" or "protein"? Those things have nothing to do with MSG at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post

Monosodium glutamate (MSG, also known as sodium glutamate) is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, one of the most abundant naturally occurring non-essential amino acids. Monosodium glutamate is found naturally in tomatoes, cheese and other foods.

So....we're surprised when a naturally occurring product appears in all-natural foods because........?

Inflammation can be extremely damaging to the body, and anything that can cause inflammation should be avoided whenever possible.
    Oh I do miss Amy....

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I don't follow... why would MSG be called anything "whey" or "protein"? Those things have nothing to do with MSG at all.
    It cannot be explained in a small paragraph--a good amount of things are mixed with MSG. Here is a good article to read:

Types of products that contain MSG
    http://www.truthinlabeling.org/II.WhereIsMSG.html

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Monosodium glutamate (MSG, also known as sodium glutamate) is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, one of the most abundant naturally occurring non-essential amino acids. Monosodium glutamate is found naturally in tomatoes, cheese and other foods.

So....we're surprised when a naturally occurring product appears in all-natural foods because........?
    As with everything around us, the natural Vs. synethic is the problem. Mushrooms have natural glutamic acid and I love them. However, I have to eat in moderation.

Excitotoxicity[edit]
    Overstimulation of glutamate receptors causes neurodegeneration and neuronal damage through a process called excitotoxicity. Excessive glutamate, or excitotoxins acting on the same glutamate receptors, overactivate glutamate receptors (specifically NMDARs), causing high levels of calcium ions (Ca2+) to influx into the postsynaptic cell.[35]

High Ca2+ concentrations activate a cascade of cell degradation processes involving proteases, lipases, nitric oxide synthase, and a number of enzymes that damage cell structures often to the point of cell death.[36] Ingestion of or exposure to excitotoxins that act on glutamate receptors can induce excitotoxicity and cause toxic effects on the central nervous system.[37] This becomes a problem for cells, as it feeds into a cycle of positive feedback cell death.

Glutamate excitotoxicity triggered by overstimulation of glutamate receptors also contributes to intracellular oxidative stress. Proximal glial cells use a cystine/glutamate antiporter (xCT) to transport cystine into the cell and glutamate out. Excessive extracellular glutamate concentrations reverse xCT, so glial cells no longer have enough cystine to synthesize glutathione (GSH), an antioxidant.[38] Lack of GSH leads to more reactive oxygen species (ROSs) that damage and kill the glial cell, which then cannot reuptake and process extracellular glutamate.[39] This is another positive feedback in glutamate excitotoxicity. In addition, increased Ca2+ concentrations activate nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and the over-synthesis of nitric oxide (NO). High NO concentration damages mitochondria, leading to more energy depletion, and adds oxidative stress to the neuron as NO is a ROS.[40]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_receptor

Monosodium Glutamate: Natural vs Synthetic
    By Andrea Donsky

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) received much of its bad publicity because of its tendency to cause allergic reactions in certain people. However, MSG is actually available in two forms: the man-made variety that can trigger undesirable symptoms and which is added to a wide variety of processed food items, and the all-natural form that is found in a wide range of foods.

The MSG we know today was first produced by a Japanese food scientists named Kikunae Ikeda in 1908, who spearheaded the commercial development of this flavor enhancer. This synthetically derived ingredient is composed nearly entirely of glutamate and is very potent, which means it takes just a few drops to dramatically boost the flavor of whatever food to which it is added...so it’s easy to see why food producers and restaurant owners fell in love with MSG.

The term “glutamate” refers to various forms of glutamic acid, a non-essential amino acid that is among the most abundant ones found in nature. It is present in the human body as well as in many foods, such as seaweed, mushrooms, peas, and cheese. These and other foods are sources of natural glutamate, a substance that is primarily responsible for what is known as the “fifth taste”—aka umami.

Read about other names for MSG

We taste umami via taste receptors that are specific to glutamate. Because umami has highly specific receptors (unlike the other tastes of bitter, salty, sweet, and sour), it has been granted its own taste title.

Foods with free, naturally occurring glutamate

Natural glutamate can be found in foods as various forms of glutamic acid, with the greatest amounts appearing in kelp, seaweeds, maramite, and Vegemite, followed by fish sauce and soy sauce. Have you ever wondered why foods taste so much better sprinkled with parmesan cheese? A major reason could be because of its high levels of glutamate, the next food on this list, followed by Roquefort cheese, dried shiitake mushrooms, miso, green tea, anchovies, cured ham, sardines, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and peas coming up behind.

Certain food ingredients, such as hydrolyzed protein and autolyzed yeast, contain significant levels of glutamates, but they are not the same as MSG. However, individuals who are sensitive to MSG can experience side effects that are similar or equal to those associated with the pure synthetic flavor enhancer.

MSG health effects

There’s a continuing controversy about the health effects of consuming MSG, sometimes referred to as the Chinese Restaurant Syndrome or, more scientifically, MSG symptom complex. At one time, many Asian restaurants (and others as well) were using MSG, but that practice has changed significantly over the years. Now it is not uncommon to see signage in restaurants saying that they do not use MSG.

Read more about MSG side effects

At its core, MSG is an excitotoxin, a substance capable of overstimulating your cells and causing cell damage or cell death. Dr. Joseph Mercola notes that an estimated 40 percent of the population may be intolerance to MSG at some level.

Side effects reported from use of MSG include headaches, flushing, sweating, facial tightness or pressure, heart palpitations, nausea, weakness, chest pain, and numbness, tingling, or burning in the face or other areas of the body.

According to Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon and author of "Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills, excitotoxins such as MSG, hydrolyzed protein soy protein isolate and concentrate, natural flavoring, sodium caseinate and aspartate from aspartame” also can affect the heart, causing overstimulation of glutamate receptors and leading to cardiac arrhythmias. Regular consumption of MSG also has been associated with obesity, depression, eye damage, and disorientation.

Bottom line

The synthetic food additive known as MSG is not a healthy choice for anyone, even if consuming the substance does not cause symptoms. Read food labels carefully, and even if you don’t see the words “monosodium glutamate” or MSG, there are other substances that have high levels of synthetic glutamates, such as calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate, textured protein, yeast extract, monopotassium glutamate, and gelatin. The best way to avoid MSG is to choose whole, natural foods, avoid processed products, and read labels.

[Editor's Note: Our favorite umami sauce comes from San-J. Their Organic Tamari Reduced Sodium contains organic soy, is non-GMO, and gluten free. With simple ingredients of water, organic soybeans, salt, and organic alcohol, and brewed through a natural fermentation process, the sauce only contains naturally occurring MSG. No artificial or chemical ingredients that could make you feel unwell.]

References
    Dickson J. Myths and misconceptions: MSG. Whole Foods. 2008 Jul 28
    Food Standards Australia New Zealand. Monosodium glutamate: a safety assessment June 2003
    Lubin G. Business Insider. These magical foods are loaded with natural MSG. 2017 Feb 3
    Mercola J. MSG: Is this silent killer lurking in your kitchen cabinets. 2009 April 21
    Zeratsy K. What is MSG? Is it bad for you? Mayo Clinic
    http://naturallysavvy.com/eat/monoso...l-vs-synthetic
    Last edited by donnay; 08-16-2017 at 04:05 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More info:

How do truly natural glutamic acid and manufactured glutamic acid (MSG) differ?

Glutamic acid is an amino acid found in abundance in both plant and animal protein. In humans it is a non-essential amino acid, i.e., the body is capable of producing its own glutamic acid, and is not dependent upon getting glutamic acid from ingested food.

Glutamate is glutamic acid to which a mineral ion has been attached. (Researchers call this mineral ion a “salt”.) If the mineral ion is sodium, the glutamic acid becomes sodium glutamate. If the mineral ion is potassium, the glutamic acid becomes potassium glutamate.

In addition to its role as a building block of protein, glutamic acid serves as a neurotransmitter vital to the transmission of nerve impulses in many parts of the central nervous system. Under certain circumstances, glutamic acid becomes a neurotoxin, causing neuron degeneration and cell death which may be followed by neuroendocrine disorders.

When protein is digested, the glutamic acid in that protein is released for use in the body. If there is need, additional glutamic acid can be synthesized from other amino acids contained in ingested protein. If an individual never ingested protein with glutamic acid in it, that individual could synthesize all the glutamic acid needed for body function from other amino acids. The human brain is also capable of synthesizing glutamic acid according to its metabolic needs, from endogenous materials. Glutamic acid is referred to as a non-essential amino acid because a healthy human can manufacture/synthesize all the glutamic acid needed for normal body function from other amino acids.

What is MSG?

MSG is glutamic acid that has been produced outside of the human (or animal) body. But when glutamic acid is produced or created in this way (outside of the human body), it differs significantly from the glutamic acid found in unadulterated, unprocessed, unfermented protein or released from unadulterated, unprocessed, unfermented protein during digestion. Glutamic acid found normally in the human body (and in all higher organisms) is glutamic acid in the L form, i.e., L-glutamic acid. Glutamic acid that is produced outside of the human body is made up of L-glutamic acid and an array of unwanted by-products often referred to as impurities. L-glutamic acid produced outside of the human body is always accompanied by impurities such as D-glutamic acid and pyroglutamic acid; and when L-glutamic acid is produced by way of acid hydrolysis, carcinogenic mono and dichloro propanols inevitably accompany it.

All manufactured free amino acids are accompanied by impurities. The fact that glutamate produced outside of the human body is categorized as food grade or pharmaceutical grade (99% pure) attests to the fact that impurities always accompany amino acids produced outside the body.

MSG fed to the very young has been shown to cause brain damage and subsequent learning, behavior, and endocrine disorders such as reproductive disorders and gross obesity. Ingestion of MSG by people of all ages will cause adverse reactions when people ingest amounts that exceed their individual tolerance levels. Eating protein (which will contain bound glutamic acid that is L-glutamic acid, only) does not cause either brain damage or adverse reactions.

Additional information, including relevant citations, can be found at
    On the Subject of Manufactured vs Natural Glutamic Acid,
    Evidence of MSG-induced Brain Damage and Endocrine Disorders: The Animal Studies,
    Evidence of MSG-induced Human Adverse Reactions: The Human Studies, and
    The Young are Particularly at Risk for Brain Damage from Ingestion of MSG: Data
    http://www.truthinlabeling.org/III.What%20is%20MSG.html

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I am highly sensitive as well. A good rule of thumb is eat fresh foods and stay away of prepackaged foods and fast foods. MSG is in a lot of things because it fools us into thinking the food is great when it really isn't.

MSG is an excitotoxin just like aspartame and it will make people crave more carbs and gain weight.
    ... even at that one would be well advised consider the source of fresh/raw foods... & grow your own if possible.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    ... even at that one would be well advised consider the source of fresh/raw foods... & grow your own if possible.
    Exactly! Grown without synthetic pesticides and herbicides.

Chester Copperpot

Another good way to tell is if whatever youre eating makes your tastebuds "light up" unexpectedly.. they have these chips called "Salsitas" and when you pop them in your mouth it makes your tongue dance.. the way i know is that its "like" something spicy except there isnt any heat to it... so when I encounter that I know there is MSG.. even though the ingredient list on this package says nothing except "spices"... its complete garbage.

similar to the Snapple red apple drink which tastes just like apple cider except it only has 10% juice in it.. so if it only has 10% juice in it but tastes EXACTLY like pure apple cider then it means theres got to be chemicals in it to make it taste like that.