Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Weight-ism'

'Weight-ism'

From Drudge;

'Fat Studies' course deems 'weightism' a 'social justice issue'

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9570

"Fat Studies" is returning to Oregon State University next spring, when students will be able to earn three credits to explore “forms of activism used to counter weightism perpetuated throughout various societal institutions.”
    “My course now frames body image disturbances more as a function of oppressive societal structures than of individual pathology," Patti Lou-Watkins explains in a 2012 academic journal article.

Oregon State University will offer a spring course on “fat studies” in order to teach students how “weight-based oppression” is a “social justice issue.”

According to a syllabus for the course obtained by Campus Reform, students will examine “body weight, shape, and size as an area of human difference subject to privilege and discrimination that intersects with other systems of oppression based on gender, race, class, age, sexual orientation, and ability.”

"The field of fat studies has undergone tremendous growth in recent years." Tweet This

The course will be taught by Professor Patti Lou-Watkins, who has written extensively on “body image disorders, particularly as they relate to weight bias and physical activity” in academic journals and books.

In a 2013 article in European Health Psychologist, for instance, Lou-Watkins argues that the growing “war on obesity” has actually caused more harm than good, saying many who attempt to lose weight suffer psychological consequences.

“Indeed, as the ‘War on Obesity’ has escalated, so has weight-based bias and discrimination,” Lou-Watkins adds, noting that “weight bias is particularly evident among healthcare professionals, compromising the well-being of their patients.”

Similarly, in an article called “Teaching about Eating Disorders from a Fat Studies Perspectives,” Lou-Watkins discusses the sorts of “pedagogy” she now applies in her courses.

“I grew to embrace feminist pedagogy in terms of course content as well as classroom practices,” she explains. “My course now frames body image disturbances more as a function of oppressive societal structures than of individual pathology."

In yet another article, Lou-Watkins celebrates the fact that “the field of fat studies has undergone tremendous growth in recent years, with colleges now offering courses in this area,” such as hers.

Indeed, students enrolled in her spring Fat Studies course will be presented with opportunities to explore “forms of activism used to counter weightism perpetuated throughout various societal institutions.”

The three-credit course, however, is not the only of its kind at OSU, with another class called “Women, Weight, and Body Image” similarly examining “weightism as a system of oppression that interacts with other systems of oppression” such as “sexism, racism, classism, heterosexism, ableism, and ageism.”

Lou-Watkins has offered the Fat Studies course in previous semesters, as well, according to The Daily Caller.

Campus Reform reached out to Lou-Watkins for additional comment on her course, but did not receive a response in time for publication.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd say that's pretty "sexist".

Women aren't the only ones who are disparaged because of weight and body types.

Weight "hate" has also changed throughout history. It used to be that fat was a sign of wealth and skinny meant you were poor and should be ignored. Then the "Twiggy" years switched that concept.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post

Women aren't the only ones who are disparaged because of weight and body types.

Weight "hate" has also changed throughout history. It used to be that fat was a sign of wealth and skinny meant you were poor and should be ignored. Then the "Twiggy" years switched that concept.
    example of which was the recent thread with older women complaining of not finding good men and complaining because all the available men were fat.

I tell ya I have been to many places with many different types of people but never in my life have I ever experienced such hatefulness and rudeness from the general public as I did when I went to the beach with my sister.

I almost got arrested because I jumped on this one MFer who was following us around oinking like a pig and yelling Suie suie. But it wasn't just him making rude remarks it was a lot of people mostly men. I could not believe it I have never seen or heard anything like it. My sister said it happens all the time when she goes in public. I am sure that all the shaming does not make a fat person go home and say oh let me drink a glass of water and have a soda cracker for my mid-night snack so I can loose weight and then maybe society will stop treating me like I am less than a piece of trash. A gambler, sex addict, drug addict, even an alcoholic can appear normal to society but a fat person can't hide their problem from anyone who can see.

Cops came and pulled me off the guy he was big too and he went down in about one second. I put up with it for as long as I could stand and I did warn him several times that he did not want to be messing with my sister like that. He did not believe I could take him down.

If you are a person who thinks it is ok to walk behind a fat person and mutter to them about what a pig they are you need to remember that people have a right to be left alone even if they are fat.

Sounds like that class will have a lot of heavy discussion.

ba-dum-tis
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post

ba-dum-tis

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

One cannot assume that all drug addicts or alcoholics are thin. Honestly, a drug habit can sneak up on someone. Obesity takes time. A person has to look into a mirror everyday and they have no one to blame but themselves or their parents.

Some guys think fat chicks are hot.

I would think that fat people discriminate against skinny people. I would bet that if an obese person is in a position to make a sizable purchase or choose a vendor for the company they work for and has to decide between giving that deal to a skinny person or a fat person they would probably give it to the fat person.

Go anyplace and open your eyes. The majority of people in this country are more than a little overweight. Skinny people are definitely the minority.

Some of this burden is self shame that the obese person inflicts upon themselves.
    Last edited by Schifference; 08-10-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I tell ya I have been to many places with many different types of people but never in my life have I ever experienced such hatefulness and rudeness from the general public as I did when I went to the beach with my sister.

I almost got arrested because I jumped on this one MFer who was following us around oinking like a pig and yelling Suie suie. But it wasn't just him making rude remarks it was a lot of people mostly men. I could not believe it I have never seen or heard anything like it. My sister said it happens all the time when she goes in public. I am sure that all the shaming does not make a fat person go home and say oh let me drink a glass of water and have a soda cracker for my mid-night snack so I can loose weight and then maybe society will stop treating me like I am less than a piece of trash. A gambler, sex addict, drug addict, even an alcoholic can appear normal to society but a fat person can't hide their problem from anyone who can see.

Cops came and pulled me off the guy he was big too and he went down in about one second. I put up with it for as long as I could stand and I did warn him several times that he did not want to be messing with my sister like that. He did not believe I could take him down.

If you are a person who thinks it is ok to walk behind a fat person and mutter to them about what a pig they are you need to remember that people have a right to be left alone even if they are fat.
    Damn, how big is she?? I've never heard anything like that in public before.. well except maybe public high school or middle school
    Last edited by dannno; 08-10-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe the class should be called Body Terrorism.

Google
    search =
    body terrorism

What is Body Terrorism? - The Body Is Not An Apology
    https://thebodyisnotanapology.com/ab...ody-terrorism/
    Terrorism is the inflicting of such fear on an individual or group. ... on countering the devastating impacts of hating our bodies and having others hate our bodies.

5 Ways People with Thin Privilege Can Fight Body Terrorism
    https://thebodyisnotanapology.com/.....can-fight-body...
    Sep 19, 2016 - Hey, fellow folks with thin privilege (you should know who you are): We need to talk. ... There is a huge difference between skinny shaming and fat shaming—and it’s a difference of scale and systemic power dynamics. ... So, if you are someone with thin privilege, and you are committed ...

Body Terrorism? That's an interesting way of putting it! : fatlogic - Reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/fatlogic/.....esting_way_of/
    Jul 21, 2015 - 19 posts - ‎18 authors
    $#@!! I didn't know! I'm a body terrorist! Can we body terrorists use this a recruitment material? I think it'd make a terrorist ou of anyone.

We call it Body Terrorism : fatlogic - Reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/fatlogic/co...ody_terrorism/
    Jun 30, 2016 - I call overeating to the point of self-destruction "body terrorism". It's like strapping a suicide vest to your organs and tossing the detonator around ...

body terrorism | Tumblr
    https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/body-terrorism
    The aesthetic of the doctor is A+. I really love it especially that it kicks out of the cliche with the actual buffed body build. His animation in both stance is great and ...

Body Terrorism Starts When We're Young - The Body Is Not An Apology
    thebodyisnotanapology.tumblr.com/post/.../body-terrorism-starts-when-were-young
    Aug 16, 2013 - The clothes that girls wear and boys don't (dresses, skirts, jumpers) are clothes that make us more aware of our bodies and how they are seen ...

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post

ba-dum-tis
    Yes heavy discussion based class with only light reading required.

//
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 08-10-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

I once heard of an obese lady that was arrested for allegedly having 20 pounds of crack up her skirt.

Any person that doesn't like a good fat joke needs to lighten up.

According to a syllabus for the course obtained by Campus Reform, students will examine “body weight, shape, and size as an area of human difference subject to privilege and discrimination that intersects with other systems of oppression based on gender, race, class, age, sexual orientation, and ability.”
    Ability?

So does this mean I can sue NASA for not hiring me as rocket scientist because of "ability-ism?"

And the leftists say there is no such thing as gender.

So how can you discriminate based on that?

For that matter, how can there be a gender pay gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Yes heavy discussion based class with only light reading required.
    Will there be snacks?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ability?

So does this mean I can sue NASA for not hiring me as rocket scientist because of "ability-ism?"

Nonononono....there are genders,they're just fluid, you see. You might be male one day, female another, and attack helicopter another. Just be sure to tell people about your pronouns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ability?

I think they are referring to the "disabled", yes
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Damn, how big is she?? I've never heard anything like that in public before.. well except maybe public high school or middle school
    Implied in your comment is that there is a certain level of bigness that makes such behavior either expected or acceptable. Otherwise, why ask "how big is she??".

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I think they are referring to the "disabled", yes
    That is a different label: ableism

The quote I posted specifically said ability with no qualifiers.

I sense....a People of Wal Marx picture coming up...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post

My parents are enormous. They have never been treated rudely, ever. I don't think your anecdote is anywhere near the norm. In fact, I have never in my life witnessed a fat person being publicly shamed or humiliated for being fat, beyond third grade. So to say it happens to your sister all the time has to be an outright lie.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    My parents are enormous. They have never been treated rudely, ever. I don't think your anecdote is anywhere near the norm. In fact, I have never in my life witnessed a fat person being publicly shamed or humiliated for being fat, beyond third grade. So to say it happens to your sister all the time has to be an outright lie.
    A good friend of mine as a teenager was a really big dude. Fat all his life as far as I know. Anyway, he caught hell from other kids/ teens daily.

Too say otherwise is an outright lie.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Indian View Post
    A good friend of mine as a teenager was a really big dude. Fat all his life as far as I know. Anyway, he caught hell from other kids/ teens daily.

where and when? in the 90's we had a few fat kids in high school, and they were rarely, if ever bullied for it.

I had a fat friend and roommate. everybody loved him. he was the life of the party.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Indian View Post

since he is a good friend of your, please do tell us of all the times you have witnessed him being bullied for being fat.

In yet another article, Lou-Watkins celebrates the fact that “the field of fat studies has undergone tremendous growth in recent years...

...with colleges now offering courses

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

LoL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post

Then the "Twiggy" years switched that concept.
    And heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast