Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cultural appropriation saved the blues....

Cultural appropriation saved the blues....

..thank God for white boys....

Imitation is the sincerest form of reverence and adulation.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I can't play the blues...

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

When I was a boy I would go down to the black bar near where later the Imperial Inn was across the street . They had the best music and food and the beer and food were cheapest . Years later you could here that music in ordinary bars where there were other colors of people .I am glad of cultural appropriation of Blues because it is very good . Past the black bar , past the edge of town was a valley by the White River where all the bootleggers , poachers and homeless hung out . I would catch Crappie there in the River.

Had it not been for the Allman Brothers, I would not have become familiar with B.B., Hooker, Muddy, Johnson, King, Hopkins. My favorite Howlin' Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Had it not been for the Allman Brothers, I would not have become familiar with B.B., Hooker, Muddy, Johnson, King, Hopkins. My favorite Howlin' Wolf!
    Johnny Winter got me there, can't get any whiter than that.

Last edited by Origanalist; 08-08-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Johnny Winter got me there, can't get any whiter than that.
    SJW's would tell you that he 'appropriated' from black music. Tell them they are right and they should be $#@!ing thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    SJW's would tell you that he 'appropriated' from black music. Tell them they are right and they should be $#@!ing thankful.
    If this doesn't convince them, I probably couldn't either.

"The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    If this doesn't convince them, I probably couldn't either.

If they can't grok it then no amount of clue will ever help.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Last edited by shakey1; 08-09-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Last edited by Origanalist; 08-09-2017 at 07:08 AM.
    "The Patriarch"

Thanks to these guys, I had a bunch of blues albums after looking at the authors of various Zeppelin and Cream tunes...

And thanks to this cultural appropriator, I was able to hear the gorgeous Muddy Waters Plantation recordings...

Shame on them.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

This thread is all the reasons why I DON'T listen to "black" blues.

What happened with blues is not like what happened with Hip Hop. Rap was always "black" music like blues was originally... until Run DMC made a video with Aerosmith, and the Beastie Boys became a thing, and only after that cultural appropriation did white people really start listening to black hip hop, in the 90s.
    But what they found when they started listening to black artists, is that the white rappers were mostly just biters. Eminem might have made a name for himself but he's still a cartoon compared to rappers you've never heard of before, like Rakim, who hasn't even "had it" for almost 30 years.

But with blues, white people took the form and did something different with it. They pushed it in directions it wasn't going otherwise. Like above: Shine On You Crazy Diamond is not something a black artist would have done. It's some pretty white music. But it's also objectively good. It's derivative, but its own thing.

Now maybe it's just me, but whenever I hear BB or Muddy, I hear the same damned song over and over again. On the Road Again is blues just like Shine On is, but they're totally different songs.

Even Jazz is more distinct, and has been consistently distinct from decade to decade throughout its existence. And I know this is wrongthink, but it occurs to me that there was no similar cultural appropriation there - white people jumped in pretty early in that game. I'm tempted to draw a conclusion from that.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Saved blues? I guess u can use save only if you consider performing CPR on a septic patient as saving him? Blues as a mainstream form of music is dead. Their records are not selling, their artists and audience are dying/on their way out and they are performing in smaller and smaller venues every year. That is not saving, the truth is that blue was going to die regardless of what any white boy had to say about it. It is like the Neanderthal of music seeing as it has passed on its better genes to more kitschy genres of music like hip hop, R&B, funk, rock and roll, gospel etc. Yes, the diehards will continue to push it along but it would remain a niche genre.

On the subject of white people culturally appropriating blues music. Think of it this way, the diehards SJW who would complain about this issue see blues music as a music that came about from the Black American slavery experience. The idea of the white man carrying the torch of blues music is an anathema to the essence of blues music itself. I bet that they would rather see the blues disappear as a form of art than allow any white man to revive it. Secondly, they see appropriation as "stealing", if someone steals your crumbling house that you are trying but failing to fix up, he then fixes it up and then lives in it, would you be happy with them? That is how this sort of things work, so do not expect to see them cheering this mid 90s development cos they probably hate you for it

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I love the Blues .

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post

This thread is all the reasons why I DON'T listen to "black" blues.

What happened with blues is not like what happened with Hip Hop. Rap was always "black" music like blues was originally... until Run DMC made a video with Aerosmith, and the Beastie Boys became a thing, and only after that cultural appropriation did white people really start listening to black hip hop, in the 90s.
    But what they found when they started listening to black artists, is that the white rappers were mostly just biters. Eminem might have made a name for himself but he's still a cartoon compared to rappers you've never heard of before, like Rakim, who hasn't even "had it" for almost 30 years.

But with blues, white people took the form and did something different with it. They pushed it in directions it wasn't going otherwise. Like above: Shine On You Crazy Diamond is not something a black artist would have done. It's some pretty white music. But it's also objectively good. It's derivative, but its own thing.

Now maybe it's just me, but whenever I hear BB or Muddy, I hear the same damned song over and over again. On the Road Again is blues just like Shine On is, but they're totally different songs.

Even Jazz is more distinct, and has been consistently distinct from decade to decade throughout its existence. And I know this is wrongthink, but it occurs to me that there was no similar cultural appropriation there - white people jumped in pretty early in that game. I'm tempted to draw a conclusion from that.
    WTF does 'shine on you crazy diamond' have to do with the blues?
    "The Patriarch"

Being from the Mississippi Delta, and having studied some music in college, I wouldn't call it "appropriation" as much as "evolution".
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast