Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1237

Thread: Poll: Judge Roy Moore leads competitors in runoff

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Precisely, and this is what so many libertarians don't understand about this race. Moore is not a Santorum type religious phony. He's a fire-breathing limited government type, closely aligned with Baldwin and other prominent Paul supporters and donors.
    Except, as far as I know, he never went on record as a Paul supporter, did he?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    So on his top 99 issues he'll be part of the resistance against the GOP establishment.

That's a point in his favor if nothing else is.
    The GOP establishment doesn't care about social issues. Their only goal is to keep the Evangelicals voting GOP, without actually doing anything (because doing something would lose them the other 70% of voters). On immigration, the GOP establishment is actually on the right side (not for noble reasons, mind you). The very fact that Moore (a guy who will do nothing to address the fundamental problems) is seen as "anti-establishment" is a huge problem in itself, just like with Trump. People like that (fake rebels, you might say) steal the thunder of genuine reformers.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Except, as far as I know, he never went on record as a Paul supporter, did he?
    Election Surprise: Judge Roy Moore Backs Ron Paul
    01-03-2008

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Backs-Ron-Paul
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Couldn't tell you.
    He maxed out to Ron Paul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Peroutka
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Voter turnout will be key today. They are expecting only 10- 20% total turnout so which side brings out the most voters will likely win. Trump wants Moore so he doesn't lose any more supporters for his agenda.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/11/politi...ate/index.html

Kayla Moore: 'One of our attorneys is a Jew'

Roy Moore's wife, Kayla, argued that her husband is no bigot at a Monday night campaign rally, saying that "one of our attorneys is a Jew."

"Fake news would tell you that we don't care for Jews. And I tell you all this because I've seen it and I just want to set the record straight while they're here," she said. "One of our attorneys is a Jew. We have very close friends that are Jewish, and rabbis, and we also fellowship with them."
    Liking how things used to be in the 1800's- the "good ole days", Moore, as usual, rode his horse to vote.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-12-2017 at 01:06 PM.

01-03-2008

There was a similar thread I saw here years ago with quotes from Moore but I haven't been able to find it again.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Roy Moore, the Bannon/Trump candidate, despite the Establishment's best efforts to take him down, kicks Luther Strange's ass:

1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Voter turnout will be key today. They are expecting only 10- 20% total turnout
    Where are you getting this? Alabama SOS John Merrill says they are on track for 25%.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Most people who supported Ron weren't libertarians, or anything of the sort, so I don't know that that says much.

Based on the Wiki, the guy sounds a lot like Moore - focused on social issues.

It makes a lot more sense for a right culture warrior to support a libertarian than vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Of course it's a religious test. You and Moore are making the unwarranted assumption that all Muslims, and Senator Ellison in particular, wish to impose Sharia law on the country. It's reminiscent of the objections that some had to electing Kennedy -- that as a Catholic he would take orders from the Pope instead of abiding by the Constitution.

The Founders were well aware of the possibility that some day a Muslim might be elected or appointed to a federal office (see the quote from James Iredell that I previously posted). Nevertheless, they didn't restrict the No-Religious-Test Clause to any particular faith.

Moore's contempt for the rule of law was made plain when he disobeyed lawful court orders in connection with the Ten Commandments display and his attempt to block the implementation of the Obergefell decision, both of which got him removed from the Alabama Supreme Court. If Ellison is disqualified to serve in the Senate because he can't support the Constitution, Moore is doubly so.
    How many sock puppet accounts can a single $#@! have?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Beside weakening the populist wing of the GOP, a Moore loss would be good because for tightening the majority in the Senate.

51-49 will mean that nothing can pass without both Rand and Lee.

Lose one more Republavik and Rand controls the show.

01-03-2008

On the first page of that thread it says that Moore and Paul expressed agreement on some issues but that Moore did not endorse him. Did he go on to endorse him after that?

Beside weakening the populist wing of the GOP, a Moore loss would be good because for tightening the majority in the Senate.

Rand and Lee have never successfully blocked anything bad, and Moore would help them.. McCain and Graham are the ones blocking bills, Jones if he wins will vote with the Democrats, and occasionally the NeoCons.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Did you come up with this on your own?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/could-...e-to-roy-moore

Could Voter Suppression Swing Alabama’s Senate Race to Roy Moore?

Democrat Doug Jones needs strong support from black and Latino voters, but thousands of them are prevented from voting by some of the most restrictive laws in the country.
    The great unknown, which will probably determine the outcome of the race, is voter turnout. If enough moderate Republicans are disgusted by both options and sit the election out, they could hand the seat to Jones. More importantly, this race may come down to turnout among African Americans, who overwhelmingly vote Democrat but aren’t often the decisive constituency in deeply Republican Alabama.

But if the election is to be decided by black voters, that means it will be decided by Alabama’s labyrinth of “anti-fraud” voting provisions which just coincidentally happen to disproportionately hit communities of color.

There are several ways in which Alabama makes it harder to vote, exacerbated by a secretary of state with some frankly bizarre ideas about how to do his job.

First, Alabama has one of the strictest voter identification laws in the country. Deuel Ross, a lawyer for the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, has been fighting the voter ID law in court, but, he told The Daily Beast, his case will not be resolved in time to impact the special election next week.
    Moreover, voter ID laws also decrease turnout among those who actually are eligible. A study cited in Ross’ case found that turnout in majority-black counties in Alabama decreased 8 percent after the voter ID law was passed—far higher than in majority-white counties.

“If you’re confused about what the voter ID requirements are, that also affects turnout,” Ross told The Daily Beast. “You may have acceptable ID but you may think that you don’t.”

That’s especially true in Alabama.

“Witnesses have testified about sheriffs standing outside polling places,” Ross said, “telling people that if you have an outstanding warrant, you’re going to be arrested.” That kind of intimidation isn’t directly related to voter ID, of course, but it creates anxiety in the minds of any voter who’s not sure of the law.
    Now, if voter fraud were a real crisis, these rules would have some justification. But voter fraud is fake news.

In Ross’ litigation, investigators found only two cases of fraud between 2001 and 2010 that would have been prevented by the ID law. Not two thousand, not two hundred: two.

And that is what has justified disenfranchising 118,000 voters, two-thirds of whom just happen to be black and Latino.

I believe that Zippy has crossed the line with this one.

I think that it might be time to consider a future without Zippy on these forums.

“Witnesses have testified about sheriffs standing outside polling places,” Ross said, “telling people that if you have an outstanding warrant, you’re going to be arrested.” That kind of intimidation isn’t directly related to voter ID, of course, but it creates anxiety in the minds of any voter who’s not sure of the law.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/could-...e-to-roy-moore
    That sounds really odd, and it's a big deal if it's true. But where is that charge coming from? Is this about something that happened in a previous election? Is it just rumors? Or what?

Coming soon to Amazon Books:

"What Happened" by Luther Strange
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand and Lee have never successfully blocked anything bad, and Moore would help them..
    That's because they can't if every other (R) votes against them.

Would Moore vote with them? I don't think so, but even if he did, a (D) would be more reliable (against GOP bills).

Anyway, the best situation really would be 50-50 with Rand able to kill any GOP bill.

Think about the debt ceiling. He'd force the GOP/Dems to join forces and out all other GOPer as the fake fiscal conservatives they are.

...it would be glorious.

Think about the debt ceiling. He'd force the GOP/Dems to join forces and out all other GOPer as the fake fiscal conservatives they are.

...it would be glorious.
    Are you actually serious? You think its in Rand's best interests for the candidate who has vowed specifically to Stand with Rand on the debt ceiling to lose to a big government Democrat?

LUTHER STRANGE VOTES TO RAISE THE DEBT CEILING; REJECTS CONSERVATIVE OPTION

Katie Frost
    Roy Moore for US Senate

Washington, DC- In between two special interest fundraisers hosted by Mitch McConnell and the Washington establishment yesterday, Luther Strange voted with his Senate leadership buddies to raise the debt ceiling. Not only did Strange vote to raise the debt ceiling and add $15.25 billion to our national deficit, he also voted against an amendment offered up by Senator Rand Paul that would have halted $15.25 billion of foreign aid to pay for Hurricane Harvey relief.

Paul's "America First" amendment, supported by 10 conservative Republicans (including Senators Ted Cruz - TX, Jim Inhofe - OK, Mike Lee - UT, Rand Paul - KY, Tim Scott - SC and Pat Toomey - PA), was designed as a solution to the budget crisis. It would have provided a way for the federal government to fund Hurricane Harvey aid without raising the debt ceiling.

"The decision by Luther Strange to side with Mitch McConnell and Chuck Schumer in raising the debt ceiling is a clear indication the Luther has been bought and paid for by the DC establishment." said Moore campaign chairman Bill Armistead. "Furthermore, Luther's refusal to back Senator Paul's amendment to utilize unspent foreign aid to help the people of Texas, who have been devastated by Hurricane Harvey, makes him unqualified to serve as our senator."

Judge Roy Moore said, "As US Senator, I will always put America first. No tricks. No games. Just the truth and a commitment to the people of Alabama and to the United States of America. If I had been Alabama's senator yesterday, I would have voted for "America First" with these bold, conservative senators."

Moore added: "The games being played in Washington are exactly why we have not replaced Obamacare, balanced the budget, or rebuilt our military. These are promises the Republicans made, but have failed to keep."

###

Paid for by Roy Moore for US Senate
    https://www.roymoore.org/Press-Relea...RVATIVE-OPTION
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    I believe that Zippy has crossed the line with this one.

I think that it might be time to consider a future without Zippy on these forums.
    How can you even think about it? Zippy and his sock puppets are responsible for over 50% posts on this forum!

That sounds really odd, and it's a big deal if it's true. But where is that charge coming from? Is this about something that happened in a previous election? Is it just rumors? Or what?
    Trolling Rule #1: Never directly interact with your sock puppet. It gives creepy vibes.

Are you actually serious? You think its in Rand's best interests for the candidate who has vowed specifically to Stand with Rand on the debt ceiling to lose to a big government Democrat?
    Quite, because I don't believe he'd actually do it.

I believe McConnell would offer an amendment to [insert trivial Evangelical issue] and he'd fold like a cheap Cruz.

Looking for more information on that.

Did find this item: http://www.fox10tv.com/story/2781112...polling-places

Alabama sheriffs voice concerns over guns in polling places

ORANGE BEACH, Ala. (WALA) - The issue at odds Monday morning in Orange Beach seemed to be one of gun rights versus voting rights. Following an opinion issued by Attorney General Luther Strange last month, the Alabama Sheriff’s Association asked what the sheriff’s authority is in regard to regulating guns in polling places.

“That intimidates a whole lot of people. And some of them will say they have rights and they do have rights, but on the other hand, people have other rights too at the polling places and that’s to not be intimidated when they go to vote,” Montgomery County Sheriff D.T. Marshall said.

“I don’t think that there’s a need for a handgun in a polling place. I don’t think that you’re going to be in danger for your life, be called upon to defend your life or anybody else’s in a polling place,” Escambia County Sheriff Grover Smith said.

When asked if he would support such a decision, Strange said he would, but the constitutionality of such legislation would need to be ironclad.

“I’m supportive of keeping anything out of the polling place that’s intimidating to our voters. And if it’s firearms or if it’s anything else, then that’s something we’re going to look very seriously at. As I told the sheriffs that were concerned about that issue, we have to make sure what we do is constitutional,” Strange said.

Quite, because I don't believe he'd actually do it.

I believe McConnell would offer an amendment to [insert trivial Evangelical issue] and he'd fold like a cheap Cruz.
    So you believe in the caricature of him put out by the left rather than his views he's been presenting for decades. Time will tell assuming he wins tonight.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Looking for more information on that.

Did find this item: http://www.fox10tv.com/story/2781112...polling-places
    Wow, two $#@!s, one cup, a few sock puppets and the forum is really busy.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So you believe in the caricature of him put out by the left rather than his views he's been presenting for decades. Time will tell assuming he wins tonight.
    I believe that when I reviewed his record, it was 99.999% focused on social issues.

He thinks spending is as unimportant relative, say, abortion as I think abortion is unimportant relative spending.

I remember Deace saying a couple years ago that he could get along with libertarians if they were just disinterested in social issues, rather than actively hostile to the Evangelical position, and that makes sense in the abstract, but in reality the difference in priorities is fatal to any meaningful cooperation. Deace endorsed Cruz and shat on Rand. ..They're not useful allies.

I believe that when I reviewed his record, it was 99.999% focused on social issues.
    Well, anyone can look and see that's incorrect hyperbole.

He thinks spending is as unimportant relative, say, abortion as I think abortion is unimportant relative spending.
    Since our spending tends to fund planned parenthood you are in luck.

I remember Deace saying a couple years ago that he could get along with libertarians if they were just disinterested in social issues, rather than actively hostile to the Evangelical position, and that makes sense in the abstract, but in reality the difference in priorities is fatal to any meaningful cooperation. Deace endorsed Cruz and shat on Rand. ..They're not useful allies.
    Deace is just a fanboy, he has no influence on Moore. Moore was standing up before Deace was born.
    Last edited by William Tell; 12-12-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Based on the yard signs, Doug Jones is going to win. I haven't seen one Roy Moore sign and I live in Huntsville.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Based on the yard signs, Doug Jones is going to win. I haven't seen one Roy Moore sign and I live in Huntsville.
    That's because Jones outspent Moore 10-1. That's a lot of yard signs. And then you have the lefts penchant for vandalism and/or threatening supporters. I do not think yard signs are an indicator.

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast