Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Judge Roy Moore leads competitors in runoff

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

They are scared to death of Moore inciting a brushfire that will spread to other primaries. That's why they are so adamant about spending money in Alabama.

As Trump campaigns for Strange in Alabama, he expresses some doubts

President Trump campaigned on Friday night for Alabama Senate candidate Luther Strange, in a race that has pitted him against his most loyal supporters and that holds the potential to upend the political dynamics for Republicans facing election in 2018. The endorsement of ‘Big Luther’ could prove to be a big boost for the interim Alabama senator, who is trailing his opponent, former state judge Roy Moore, in some public polls. But even Trump seemed unsure that the endorsement was the right move.
    “I’ll be honest, I might have made a mistake,” Trump told the crowd at one point during his more than 30 minutes of remarks.
    “If Luther doesn’t win they’re not going to say, we picked up 25 points in a short period of time,” he added, referring to the media. “If his opponent wins, I’m going to be here campaigning like hell for him.”
    After some musing, he seemed to catch himself.
    “Luther will definitely win,” Trump said.
    It may not have been exactly the ringing endorsement Strange’s campaign had hoped for, but it would have to do.

“We have to be loyal in life,” Trump said. “He never went quid pro quo, he just treated me great.
    “And I’m calling him. He was down like quite a bit and I said I’m going to endorse you,” Trump continued. “I shouldn’t be doing it … The last thing I want to do is be involved in a primary.”

“If Luther doesn’t make it, they’re going to go after me,” Trump said, referring to the media. “He went to third, second and now it’s almost pretty even right?”

More at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b9a826c6d792

Is he Damning with faint praise on purpose?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

No, he's hedging his bets because Moore is seen as having a 70% chance of winning. Luther wins he will say see I knew he would win. Moore wins he will say he should have followed his gut but the people of Alabama did and he respects that. Both good guys as he said. Polls show 80% of voters won't be influenced in this race by Trump. Trump was already in for Luther but doesn't want to be seen as having lost his influence when Luther loses.
    Last edited by William Tell; 09-23-2017 at 06:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

The Trump communications team barred a Breitbart reporter from the press pool during a Trump rally in Alabama

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...nnon-escalates
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

3 new polls out today. Tuesday is the runoff. The way things are looking Moore is unstoppable at this point despite 30 + million being thrown against him and a Trump rally for his opponent. This is unheard of in American politics.

Gravis has Moore at 48% vs Strange at 40.%
    https://bigleaguepolitics.com/big-le...strange-48-40/

Emerson College has Moore at 50% vs Strange at 40%.
    https://twitter.com/EmersonPolling/s...16666065440769

Optimus has Moore at 55.4% vs Strange at 44.6%.

0ptimus partner Scott Tranter says he was struck by this statistic: "80% of those surveyed and 86% of primary voters know Trump endorsed Strange, which is up 5% since Tuesday and 15% since last week. Moore has maintained similar leads throughout this period."
    https://www.axios.com/first-look-ala...489210856.html
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...n-whos-charge/

U.S. Chamber of Commerce political strategist Scott Reed told the New York Times Saturday that it was important to defeat Judge Roy Moore in the Republican runoff for U.S. Senate in Alabama on Tuesday to rebuke former White House adviser and Breitbart News executive chairman Steve Bannon.

Reed, who is described by the Times‘ Jonathan Martin as “working with business leaders here to turn out votes for Mr. Strange,” said that a victory for appointed incumbent Sen. Luther Strange “would remind Bannon who’s in charge, and I think give the president and the governing wing of the party momentum. He added: “That’s why we’re going all in to shut it down now.”

Unless something changes, Tuesday will be the biggest and most amazing real repudiation of the establishment in modern memory. Rand Paul's senate victory was a big deal but he was well funded. Roy is being outspent beyond belief. McConnell and the Chamber will be crying their eyes out Tuesday night.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

This is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Love me some Bannon.

Sir Nigel

Last edited by AuH20; 09-25-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Trip Pittman gave a passionate speech at the rally saying Judge Moore saying he has always admired Judge Moore and that he will defend the Constitution. Moore brought up Rand Paul and blasted the Senate for shooting down his Harvey amendment to curtail foreign aid, very critical of foreign aid saying it's not in the Constitution.

Moore isn't perfect but he'll be the only one besides Rand taking a stand on some things. On issues like enumerated powers he might be even more vocal than Rand. He will tilt at some of the right windmills no matter the cost. Looking forward to tonight's results!
    Last edited by William Tell; 09-26-2017 at 05:35 AM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I know this is unlikely, but is there any chance of the Dem winning in AL in the general?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I know this is unlikely, but is there any chance of the Dem winning in AL in the general?
    The Chamber of Commerce will do their best.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No. The MSM is pushing that scenario like they always do to coral the voters away from ultra conservatives like Moore towards moderates like Strange. But polling shows the opposite. The last Emmerson poll has Moore beating Dem. Jones 52-30 and Strange beating Jones 49-36. Election day would be more like 65-35 I'd guess. Alabama is so red the Dems did not even field a candidate against Sessions last time. He got 100%. If Moore can survive 30 million of smears and win the primary he can survive 50 million and win the general. I doubt the Dems want to go bankrupt on a suicide mission in Alabama anyway but they are morons at the top so who knows.

I think a slightly more likely scenario would be the Establishment runs Strange in the general election as an independed when he loses the primary. like they did against Joe Miller in Alaska. But depending on whether Alabama has a sore loser law that might be impossible. In a 3 way race all bets are off of course.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    No. The MSM is pushing that scenario like they always do to coral the voters away from ultra conservatives like Moore towards moderates like Strange. But polling shows the opposite. The last Emmerson poll has Moore beating Dem. Jones 52-30 and Strange beating Jones 49-36. Election day would be more like 65-35 I'd guess. Alabama is so red the Dems did not even field a candidate against Sessions last time. He got 100%. If Moore can survive 30 million of smears and win the primary he can survive 50 million and win the general. I doubt the Dems want to go bankrupt on a suicide mission in Alabama anyway but they are morons at the top so who knows.

I think a slightly more likely scenario would be the Establishment runs Strange in the general election as an independed when he loses the primary. like they did against Joe Miller in Alaska. But depending on whether Alabama has a sore loser law that might be impossible. In a 3 way race all bets are off of course.
    This is exactly what I was thinking...the PTB would pull an Alaska scenario.

This is exactly what I was thinking...the PTB would pull an Alaska scenario.
    I forgot. It's a special election to fill Sessions seat and the filing deadline passed long ago. Only the primary winners can be on the general ballot so the winner is safe until the term expires in 2020. PTB can only back the Democrat if Roy wins. Who knows, maybe the Chamber does want to spend another 30 million for another spanking but it will turn out even worse for them without McConnell and Trump who would never decide to end their careers by publicly backing a Dem in Alabama.
    Last edited by William Tell; 09-26-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I forgot. It's a special election to fill Sessions seat and the filing deadline passed long ago. Only the primary winners can be on the general ballot so the winner is safe until the term expires in 2020. PTB can only back the Democrat if Roy wins. Who knows, maybe the Chamber does want to spend another 30 million for another spanking but it will turn out even worse for them without McConnell and Trump who would never decide to end their careers by publicly backing a Dem in Alabama.
    . Democratic Senate nominee Doug Jones will face the Republican winner in the Dec. 12 general election,
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.11593b4a015f

Corker just stepped away from re-election. The Chamber knew he was toast.

Yes just like I said. Jones is a primary winner. Moore or Strange will be the GOP primary winner when the runoff results come in tonight.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Oh $#@!, exit polls and turnout looking bad.
    http://www.latlmes.com/world/first-e...le-for-moore-1
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Oh $#@!, exit polls and turnout looking bad.
    http://www.latlmes.com/world/first-e...le-for-moore-1

Link gave me a music video.

What's the truth here, William?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah. Those are other reasons I support him. We need someone to stand up to the fedcoats and he proved he has guts.
    He isn't standing up for you. He wants to impose his will on you too. He just fought those who wanted to impose a differing will on you. He is just another fedcoat.

Quote Originally Posted by samforpaul View Post
    Link gave me a music video.

What's the truth here, William?
    It's called rick rolling, a stupid internet thing where we post a link and it shows that song instead of anything important. It was just a joke didn't mean to cause confusion.

The truth is it's too early to tell but the secretary of state is saying low turnout so far which most people think is good for Moore. We won't know till the polls close. If turnout is higher in Birmingham it might go poorly for Moore, that's Strange's stronghold. If Moore does good in North Alabama with Brooks voters it's a good sign. Here's the old map, and look for results tonight at the second link.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/re...ection-primary

http://www2.alabamavotes.gov/electio...?ecode=1000800
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

30 million in comparison to 2 million dollars is all I need to know. Moore will be a huge asset if he can prevail.

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast