Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Judge Roy Moore leads competitors in runoff

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    2nd lowest overall tax burden in the nation. More than half of NH land is in current use tax status with very low property taxes. Some communities in NH don't even have property tax.
    and yet
    Real-Estate Property Taxes by State
    Rank, State, Effective Real-Estate Tax Rate, Annual Taxes on $179K Home*, State Median Home Value, Annual Taxes on Home Priced at State Median Value
    51 New Jersey 2.35% $4,189 $315,900 $7,410
    50 Illinois 2.30% $4,105 $173,800 $3,995
    49 New Hampshire 2.15% $3,838 $237,300 $5,100
    48 Connecticut 1.97% $3,517 $270,500 $5,327
    https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Exactly. Just because NH is the freest state with the 2nd lowest overall tax rate, and has communities without personal income, sales, or property taxes, and has the most pro-liberty weapons laws in the nation, and the lowest murder rate, and the lowest poverty tax, and so on, doesn't mean it is perfect in every way, just much better than any other states on average and in those specific areas.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Exactly. Just because NH is the freest state with the 2nd lowest overall tax rate, and has communities without personal income, sales, or property taxes, and has the most pro-liberty weapons laws in the nation, and the lowest murder rate, and the lowest poverty tax, and so on, doesn't mean it is perfect in every way, just much better than any other states on average and in those specific areas.
    I just think of property taxes as the worst of all the taxes. But I pay property taxes in NJ, so who am I to bitch and point fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    If Roy gets on SCOTUS someday
    LOL! You would sooner flap your arms and fly to the moon.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    The point is that someone has to make the determination of what's constitutional and have that determination have the force of law. And that someone isn't you or Roy Moore -- it's SCOTUS. Moore's antics are similar to George Wallace's standing in the doorway at the University of Alabama, refusing to let a black man enroll. in defiance of a federal court order. It might have pleased his bigoted followers, but it violated the law.
    Bunk.
    The constitution is written in English, it means what it says, segregation in government schools was a violation of the privileges and immunities clause, the 10 commandments monument was not.
    SCOTUS is not holy and people should defy it's unconstitutional dictates.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    My guess is the 14th makes it apply to states. That being said, I don't like the 14th.

Forget the constitution for a minute. It's just wrong for a judge, who's supposed to be neutral, to be sneaking a religious monument into a courthouse. And then filming and selling the video. I can't believe you guys are ok with that.

Like I asked earlier. What if it was a muslim judge sneaking in a statue of muhammad? And all his speeches were muhammad this, muhammad that.
    I would vote to prohibit the statue and unseat the judge, but the Feds or the courts would have no say.
    America is a Christian nation, her laws were built on Christian legal doctrine a 10 commandments statue is not inappropriate in an American courthouse, if you and a bunch of Atheists don't like it you can vote to get rid of the monument or unseat the judge but the Feds have NO say whatsoever.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    segregation in government schools was a violation of the privileges and immunities clause, the 10 commandments monument was not.
    SCOTUS is not holy and people should defy it's unconstitutional dictates.
    No, school segregation violated the Equal Protection Clause, and the Ten Commandments monument violated the Due Process Clause. While a Privileges and Immunity analysis might have been better suited to address things the states were prohibited from doing under the 14th Amendment, SCOTUS declined to adopt that analysis in the Slaughterhouse Cases in 1873. The P&I clause has been somewhat of a dead letter ever since.

It might be better if you read the caselaw and learn what the law really is, rather than what you would like it to be.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

I notice you didn't respond to the point about Dred Scott.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

No, school segregation violated the Equal Protection Clause
    Nonsense, going to school is a privilege, it does not protect you from anything.

the Ten Commandments monument violated the Due Process Clause.
    Bunk, nobody was denied as single piece of "due process" because there was a statue in the courthouse, "process" is a way of doing things, an inanimate object does not affect a way of doing things by sitting in the lobby.

While a Privileges and Immunity analysis might have been better suited to address things the states were prohibited from doing under the 14th Amendment, SCOTUS declined to adopt that analysis in the Slaughterhouse Cases in 1873. The P&I clause has been somewhat of a dead letter ever since.
    No part of the constitution is "dead", and legal opinions can't make it so.

It might be better if you read the caselaw and learn what the law really is, rather than what you would like it to be.
    It might be better if you and SCOTUS learned English.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

America is a Christian nation, her laws were built on Christian legal doctrine
    The Constitution is a secular document, and the First Amendment in particular contravenes Christian doctrine. After all, it denies the government the authority to prohibit someone from being a Buddhist, Muslim, atheist, polytheist (contrary to the First Commandment), or any other non-Christian adherent, any one of which should result in death under Biblical doctrine (see Deuteronomy 13:6-11).
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

The Constitution is a secular document, and the First Amendment in particular contravenes Christian doctrine. After all, it denies the government the authority to prohibit someone from being a Buddhist, Muslim, atheist, polytheist (contrary to the First Commandment), or any other non-Christian adherent, any one of which should result in death under Biblical doctrine (see Deuteronomy 13:6-11).
    The "law of Moses" was given to Israel until Christ came and fulfilled the law, it no longer applies unlike the 10 commandments.

Luke 16:16

“The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.”

John 1:17

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”

John
    Chapter 8

They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
    6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
    7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
    8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
    9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
    10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
    11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I would vote to prohibit the statue and unseat the judge, but the Feds or the courts would have no say.
    America is a Christian nation, her laws were built on Christian legal doctrine a 10 commandments statue is not inappropriate in an American courthouse, if you and a bunch of Atheists don't like it you can vote to get rid of the monument or unseat the judge but the Feds have NO say whatsoever.
    Why would you vote to prohibit the statue if America is a Christian nation?

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why would you vote to prohibit the statue if America is a Christian nation?
    I was referring to the theoretical statue of muhammad.

Like I asked earlier. What if it was a muslim judge sneaking in a statue of muhammad? And all his speeches were muhammad this, muhammad that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Strawman. Just because the schools don't teach the brand of Christianity that some folks want them to doesn't mean they're teaching secular humanism.
    They're already teaching it. And you might want to learn the definition of strawman.

The antithesis of liberty is allowing the government, backed by force and financed by taxpayers' money, to promote a particular religious belief. Do you really want governmental bureaucrats making theological decisions about which particular belief is to be the government's favorite.

They already do. See above.

You also missed a question, chief. Here it is again:

It also never ceases to amaze me how your behavior here is progressive/antithetical to the site, and how your presence here apparently has nothing to do with liberty. Why is that, tax lawyer?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I was referring to the theoretical statue of muhammad.
    Will you allow me to buy beer on sundays? That's really the main issue here.

The "law of Moses" was given to Israel until Christ came and fulfilled the law, it no longer applies unlike the 10 commandments.
    The Ten Commandments were part of the Mosaic law. So if you're gonna toss Deuteronomy, you'll have to toss the Ten (which, btw, are part of Deuteronomy as well as Exodus).
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

Will you allow me to buy beer on sundays? That's really the main issue here.
    No it isn't.
    States might be able to pass such a law I would be against it. (the law)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Ten Commandments were part of the Mosaic law. So if you're gonna toss Deuteronomy, you'll have to toss the Ten (which, btw, are part of Deuteronomy as well as Exodus).
    No they were separate, Moses got the original 10 on the mount, the rest he got or made up himself later.
    Christ told the woman to go and sin no more because adultery was still a sin.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I just think of property taxes as the worst of all the taxes. But I pay property taxes in NJ, so who am I to bitch and point fingers...
    Yeah, I don't much like 'em there, which is why I pay none/almost none. And I do that without living in a NH community that is property tax free.

As for a whole state, AL tends to have some of the lowest property taxes in the nation. So likely all of the Senate candidates pay a lot less in property taxes than you do
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Of the 3 candidates doing best in the polls, Mo is the least bad.
    How do you figure? What do you like about Brooks? What about Roy Moore makes him worse than a supporter of undeclared wars and the Patriot Act?

There is a Ron Paul Republican in the race. If I lived in AL, that's the yard sign that would be in my yard and the person I'd vote for.
    Go Pittman. I'm all for Ron Paulers winning. But in the event he loses as you agree is most likely go Roy Moore. And I am rooting for Moore + Pittman to make the runoff most certainly not Mo Brooks or Strange.

Most polls show it will be Moore vs Strange we will see. Of those two the choice is easy for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A lot of people said the same about Trump becoming president. You like SCOTUS because they enforce humanistic socialism, someday the shoe may be on the other foot. That's the problem with giving unlimited power to an institution.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    He is a good guy, hope my post wasn't misconstrued. And ya, I'll be waiting for that.
    Ah well, hope you didn't hold your breath. But he + repped my post and said he defended me somehow, maybe by saying I am supporting a candidate who hates us all and liberty?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    That's the problem with giving unlimited power to an institution.
    SCOTUS doesn't have unlimited power. It cannot enforce its own decisions but must rely on the Executive Branch to do so. It has no control over its budget, which has to come from Congress. And its decisions can be overturned by the legislature (if the issue is one of statutory interpretation) or by an amendment to the Constitution (if the issue is a constitutional one).

And it's not that I like SCOTUS -- in fact I disagree with many of its decisions, including Kelo and the upholding of Obamacare's individual mandate -- but I recognize that there has to be some institution that ultimately decides legal matters involving the Constitution and SCOTUS just happens to be that institution.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/t...le-in-alabama/

The Establishment Candidate: Sen. Luther Strange

"Big Luther," as his ads sometimes call him, is the nominal incumbent because he won the appointment to fill the seat after Sessions resigned to become attorney general. That has been both a blessing and a curse.

On the positive side, it has allowed Strange to build up a conservative voting record. He voted to repeal Obamacare and to confirm Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch, for instance. Incumbency also has given Strange access to deep pockets. He has raised more than $3.2 million, more than the other nine candidates combined. The Senate Leadership Fund, a super PAC affiliated with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), also has dumped nearly $2 million into the race in support of Strange and pounded his opponents with negative ads.
    The Tea Party Conservative: Mo Brooks

Brooks, who represents northern Alabama in the House of Representatives, is one of the most conservative members of Congress and a founding member of the House Freedom Caucus.

Brooks has the backing of grass-roots conservative groups, including Tea Party Patriots, and national conservative thought leaders such as LifeZette Editor in Chief Laura Ingraham, Fox News host Sean Hannity, and radio talk-show host Mark Levin.

Brooks gained national attention and free media throughout the state in June when a gunman opened fire while he and other Republican members of Congress were practicing for the annual congressional baseball game. He even used the incident in an ad defending the Second Amendment — a TV spot that drew criticism from some, including an aide to shooting victim House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.).

A win by Brooks would show the power of the Tea Party and the willingness of Alabama Republicans to send someone to the Senate with the potential to cause headaches for Trump and McConnell by holding out for the most conservative version possible of legislation, even at the risk of killing those bills.

The Social Conservative Firebrand: Roy Moore

Moore has been a household name and controversial figure in the state since 2000, when he parlayed an American Civil Liberties Union lawsuit challenging his display of the Ten Commandments in the Etowah County courtroom into a successful run for chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court.

It did not take long for him to invite controversy. Without the knowledge or consent of the other justices, he had a large granite monument of the Ten Commandments erected in the lobby of the Alabama judicial building in the state capital of Montgomery. His failure to comply with a federal judge's order to remove the monument following a lawsuit led to his ouster from the court.

After a failed run for governor in 2006, Moore made a political comeback in 2012 to reclaim his old position as chief justice. In doing so, he defeated an incumbent who had been appointed by the governor and a Mobile County Circuit Court judge who once had been state attorney general. And he did so in a clean primary win, with no need for a runoff.

But Moore soon found himself mired in controversy once again, this time over gay marriage. After a federal judge in Mobile struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage — and the U.S. Supreme Court refused to block her decision from taking effect — Moore instructed the state's probate court judges to follow state law, not the federal judge's ruling.

The action led to Moore's indefinite suspension, which formally ended when he resigned to run for the Senate.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

It says nothing about anyone but congress (you could try to stretch it to encompass the state legislature), and it prohibits nothing but the making of laws to establish a religion. If the people don't like a cultural/religious display in a court house they can through the legislature or the ballot box seek to change the judiciary or prohibit the display, the Feds have no say whatsoever.

If you ignore the actual words, you could pretend that it says something entirely different.

At least one state, Massachusetts I think, did actually have an established religion. The actual meaning of that part of the 1st A is simply - if you, state, have an established religion, we, congress, won't hinder you. And after 200 years, they've interpreted it so it doesn't make any sense at all.

The point of that part of the 1st A is to allow Moore to put up the 10.

Quote Originally Posted by parocks View Post
    If you ignore the actual words, you could pretend that it says something entirely different.

At least one state, Massachusetts I think, did actually have an established religion. The actual meaning of that part of the 1st A is simply - if you, state, have an established religion, we, congress, won't hinder you. And after 200 years, they've interpreted it so it doesn't make any sense at all.

The point of that part of the 1st A is to allow Moore to put up the 10.
    Good point.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Election Day. Fox News has been nice enough to cover the story by highlighting Trump's endorsement of Strange, and then having Karl Rove give his endorsement of Strange live.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Yes Faux was asking Strange the tough questions like
    There are a lot of qualified candidates, why do you think Trump chose you?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Results coming in.

Moore still ahead
    Moore is at 38 percent compared to Strange's 31 percent and Brooks' 22 percent. Brooks enjoyed a nice boost from his home base of Madison County but still lags behind. Still waiting on voter-rich Shelby County.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Moore has 41 percent of the vote and Strange has 32 percent with 42 percent of precincts reporting, with Rep. Mo Brooks trailing at 19 percent. If no candidate gets 50 percent of the vote, the top two will advance to a primary runoff on Sept. 26.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...lection-241665
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast