Thread: weird foods kids eat

Default weird foods kids eat

My kid is a bit of a weird eater, eschewing cereal or even chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast in favor of fish fillets or hotdog.

Recently, I bought some seaweed paper on a whim and he freaking loves the stuff -- I can't stand them. He asked at lunch today that I put seaweed paper in his lunchbox this year.

So what weird stuff do your kids eat or did you eat as a kid?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    My kid is a bit of a weird eater, eschewing cereal or even chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast in favor of fish fillets or hotdog.

Recently, I bought some seaweed paper on a whim and he freaking loves the stuff -- I can't stand them. He asked at lunch today that I put seaweed paper in his lunchbox this year.

My youngest will take a whole baked potato (not cut up, no butter or anything) and dip it in a bowl of vinegar and eat it. *gag*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My youngest will take a whole baked potato (not cut up, no butter or anything) and dip it in a bowl of vinegar and eat it. *gag*
    ok, yeah that's a weird one.

Please take your kid out for sushi / other Japanese food. It sounds like he's into umami.

What kind of fish fillets? Has he had kippers? Get him some kippers - they might be called kippered herring or smoked herring. They're frickin' delightful. They'll be near the tuna cans, around the smoked oysters in a can. Kippers are also full of omegas so I eat them all the time to fight cholesterol.

I hate tomato ketchup, but I made this a couple months ago and have been putting it on everything wrong-thinkers would put tomato ketchup on, and it's frickin' awesome. But again, I like umami.

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

ok, yeah that's a weird one.
    I thought so too but he explained it to me and it doesn't seem so bizarre. He loves salt and vinegar potato chips and when I bake a potato, I rub the outside with grease and cover it in kosher salt. He says, the salt covered potato dipped in vinegar tastes like really awesome salt and vinegar potato chips.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Please take your kid out for sushi / other Japanese food. It sounds like he's into umami.
    yeah, he has tried a couple pieces of sushi and always spit them out (I think its a texture thing)
    But otherwise he'll eat any cooked seafood you put in front of him. A plate of fried calamari? fuggetabit, it its devoured. A can of tuna? blink and its gone. Blackened Red Snapper is his favorite.

What kind of fish fillets?
    generally cod filets as its easy and decent for him.

Has he had kippers? Get him some kippers - they might be called kippered herring or smoked herring. They're frickin' delightful. They'll be near the tuna cans, around the smoked oysters in a can. Kippers are also full of omegas so I eat them all the time to fight cholesterol.
    have not, I'll give him some to try. seriously the kid would eat seafood and pepperoni pizza everyday if he had his way.

I thought so too but he explained it to me and it doesn't seem so bizarre. He loves salt and vinegar potato chips and when I bake a potato, I rub the outside with grease and cover it in kosher salt. He says, the salt covered potato dipped in vinegar tastes like really awesome salt and vinegar potato chips.
    geez, now I want to try it.

My son once ate escargot when he was little..ick.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    My son once ate escargot when he was little..ick.
    I love escargot.

I think the weirdest thing I eat is the jalapeno fold over. Take a piece of white bread, stuff it with jalapenos, and fold it in half. I started doing that when I was in elementary school because I was hungry when I got home from school. My mom dips Oreos in orange juice.*gag*

I also eat tuna out of the can - nothing on it and cornbread and buttermilk. Mr A thinks those are weird. I don't. The first one is sheer laziness (tuna) and the second (milk-n-bread) is cultural.

I love escargot.

I think the weirdest thing I eat is the jalapeno fold over. Take a piece of white bread, stuff it with jalapenos, and fold it in half. I started doing that when I was in elementary school because I was hungry when I got home from school. My mom dips Oreos in orange juice.*gag*

I also eat tuna out of the can - nothing on it and cornbread and buttermilk. Mr A thinks those are weird. I don't. The first one is sheer laziness (tuna) and the second (milk-n-bread) is cultural.
    Ick, ick...lol.

I think the weirdest thing I eat is the occasional corndog although im about 90% vegetarian right now. My dad used to eat cornbread and buttermilk. Watch the tuna...mercury.

My daughter when she was little would stuff a jalapeno pepper with Altoids, put that inside a mango, bake it, then cover it with Worcestershire sauce and honey. With a dollop of horseradish on the side. yuck.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

My brothers eat pickled pigs feet. They love 'em but I never got up the nerve to taste one.

Do you know the difference between buggers and broccoli?

Kids won't eat broccoli.

I love escargot.

I also eat tuna out of the can - nothing on it
    and cornbread and buttermilk. Mr A thinks those are weird. I don't. The first one is sheer laziness (tuna) and the second (milk-n-bread) is cultural.
    The lazy po' man's tuna burger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RPEphesians 6:12 (KJV)//I sell stuff here go buy nao!

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Do you know the difference between buggers and broccoli?
    Kids won't eat broccoli.
    my kid loves broccoli. when we go to the local thai place, his dinner of choice is a big platter of fried calamari and a big bowl of steamed broccoli with salt.

Temporary Ban North Korea

Blog Entries

My brothers eat pickled pigs feet. They love 'em but I never got up the nerve to taste one.
    Isn't that like.....all bone? Or gristle........eh beats me......

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    Isn't that like.....all bone? Or gristle........eh beats me......
    They appear to be mostly gristle with a little meat. I tried not to look at them. *gag* They stink, too.

Peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwich.

My youngest used to eat butter. Just...butter.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwich.
    Thread winner. Now that's weird.

My youngest used to eat butter. Just...butter.
    I did too. Still take a nibble when no one's looking. I also ate part of a jar of Flintstones vitamins once. And I used to fake headaches to get baby aspirin and stomach aches to get lemon swiss malox. My mom didn't buy us much candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I think the weirdest thing I eat is the occasional corndog [...] Watch the tuna ... mercury.
    Watch the corndogs ... cameras.

Oh, and I tried dog food once, too. My brother told me someone needed to taste test the dog food to make sure it wasn't poison and I got voluntold to do it. It was the crunchy kind. I wouldn't have tasted the wet stuff.

I used to eat dry oatmeal in those little instant packets… You know, the ones with a lot of sugar and cinnamon? Actually, that may not be very weird, now that I think of it.

Someone mentioned Flintstone vitamins… When I was little, I ate a whole bottle of Flintstone vitamins in one sitting, with my little sister... and even shared some with the dog. My mom told me that they took me to the hospital to have my stomach pumped.
    “Perhaps in the back of our minds we already understand, without all the science I've discussed, that something terribly wrong is happening. Our sustenance now comes from misery. We know that if someone offers to show us a film on how our meat is produced, it will be a horror film. We perhaps know more than we care to admit, keeping it down in the dark places of our memory-- disavowed. When we eat factory-farmed meat we live, literally, on tortured flesh. Increasingly, that tortured flesh is becoming our own.”

— Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    I used to eat dry oatmeal in those little instant packets… You know, the ones with a lot of sugar and cinnamon? Actually, that may not be very weird, now that I think of it.

Someone mentioned Flintstone vitamins… When I was little, I ate a whole bottle of Flintstone vitamins in one sitting, with my little sister... and even shared some with the dog. My mom told me that they took me to the hospital to have my stomach pumped.
    I ate about half a bottle and my mom called the doctor. He told her not to give me anymore vitamins. No stomach pumping for me. I just got yelled at. Those things were delicious, though.

I ate about half a bottle and my mom called the doctor. He told her not to give me anymore vitamins. No stomach pumping for me. I just got yelled at. Those things were delicious, though.
    They were! I don't even remember having my stomach pumped but I don't remember a lot of my early childhood.
    “Perhaps in the back of our minds we already understand, without all the science I've discussed, that something terribly wrong is happening. Our sustenance now comes from misery. We know that if someone offers to show us a film on how our meat is produced, it will be a horror film. We perhaps know more than we care to admit, keeping it down in the dark places of our memory-- disavowed. When we eat factory-farmed meat we live, literally, on tortured flesh. Increasingly, that tortured flesh is becoming our own.”

— Jonathan Safran Foer