Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 144

Thread: Not Being Stupid Is ‘Cognitive Privilege’ Now, Which Is Just Like White Privilege

  1. #1

    Not Being Stupid Is ‘Cognitive Privilege’ Now, Which Is Just Like White Privilege

    Not Being Stupid Is ‘Cognitive Privilege’ Now, Which Is Just Like White Privilege

    http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/29/up...ite-privilege/

    The University of Iowa’s student newspaper has announced the discovery of a special privilege which intelligent people acquire as an accident of birth. This new privilege — called “cognitive privilege” — functions in essentially the same way as white privilege.


    Garden-variety white privilege “is an important topic that deserves a public discussion,” the op-ed on “cognitive privilege” explains, but it is also “prudent to at least mention the wider concept contained therein: that of privilege itself.”

    Privilege in general is “the receipt of certain benefits wholly through accident of birth and it is “undeniable that privilege itself is a reality,” the student newspaper explains.

    As with skin color and much else, Daily Iowan author Dan Williams argues, people have no control over how smart they are. Life is a huge cosmic lottery full of winners and losers.

    Cognitive privilege is one of “many kinds of privilege besides white privilege.”

    Also, Williams declares, robots will wipe out manual labor jobs but will somehow not affect jobs available to members of a special cognitive elite.

    “Thus, the accident of having been born smart enough to be able to be successful is a great benefit that you did absolutely nothing to earn. Consequently, you have nothing to be proud of for being smart.”

    Williams believes that America will be better able to discuss “white privilege” and the “temperature-rising topic of racial privilege” if it is able to admit the existence of “cognitive privilege.”

    Don’t worry, though. “The purpose” here “is not to instill a sort of Catholic guilt in someone’s psyche.”

    “The purpose of pointing out someone’s privilege is to remind them of the infinite number of experiences that are possible and the very large number of experiences that are actual that they know very little about.” (Williams does not say how he has obtained his special knowledge in this regard.)

    “Feelings of guilt are natural when coming to consciousness of one’s place in the scheme of things — and noticing that one has been conferred benefits through sheer accident — but guilt is an impediment to social-justice action, not a motivator (guilt slides easily into resentment),” the author writes.

    “We can debate whether ‘whiteness’ is a sort of ‘master privilege’ that overrules all others.”

    The concept of “white privilege” was popularized in academic circles by a 1987 essay entitled “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.” The author was Peggy McIntosh, an inconsequential white feminist.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Dan Williams is just jealous he doesn't have Cognitive Privilege.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Dan Williams is just jealous he doesn't have Cognitive Privilege.
    And he seems to evade the reality that a lot of geniuses were considered stupid when they were younger & still overcame that "privilege" to be allowed to develop into the brilliant minds that they were.
    There is no spoon.

  5. #4
    I wonder if the word privilege was replaced with blessing or maybe gift, would more people have and easier time understanding the concept? The way I look at it, a privilege is actually a good thing which people should be proud to have.

    Being tall, beautiful/handsome, intelligent, born able bodied, lactose tolerant are some of the privileges that gives one a leg up big or small in most societies. I think most people can see this. I have quite a few privileges that most people don't have and I thank my creator everyday for them.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I wonder if the word privilege was replaced with blessing or maybe gift, would more people have and easier time understanding the concept? The way I look at it, a privilege is actually a good thing which people should be proud to have.
    I agree and not everyone has the same gifts. The smart guy/gal may not be very athletic or charismatic and the athlete may not have a lick of sense. It's also important to note that even though someone may be gifted in a certain area, they may never reach their potential or even care to.

    Being tall, beautiful/handsome, intelligent, born able bodied, lactose tolerant are some of the privileges that gives one a leg up big or small in most societies. I think most people can see this. I have quite a few privileges that most people don't have and I thank my creator everyday for them.
    LOL! I'm sure your lactose intolerance will take you far in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I wonder if the word privilege was replaced with blessing or maybe gift, would more people have and easier time understanding the concept? The way I look at it, a privilege is actually a good thing which people should be proud to have.

    Being tall, beautiful/handsome, intelligent, born able bodied, lactose tolerant are some of the privileges that gives one a leg up big or small in most societies. I think most people can see this. I have quite a few privileges that most people don't have and I thank my creator everyday for them.
    There you go trying to rub your verbal privilege in everyone else's face. Check your privilege.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

  8. #7
    I'm a dumb-assed ol' hillbilly.....

    Wonder which attribute I need to check?

    $#@! these people! And the horse they rode in on...

  9. #8
    “The purpose of pointing out someone’s privilege is to remind them of the infinite number of experiences that are possible and the very large number of experiences that are actual that they know very little about.” (Williams does not say how he has obtained his special knowledge in this regard.)
    Psychic privilege
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I'm a dumb-assed ol' hillbilly.....

    Wonder which attribute I need to check?

    $#@! these people! And the horse they rode in on...
    Garden variety white privilege. Your privilege isn't privileged. If you weren't a dumb-ass (your words, not mine), you'd have cognitive privilege and white privilege - now, that's some privileged privilege and something to not be proud of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  12. #10
    Well, sure. This would be the next step.

    And make no mistake--it's aimed directly at the liberty movement.

    9/11 allowed them to do some things they wanted. It got rid of the big towers to make room for urban renewal and skirt the asbestos issue. Those things would have cost Silverman tens of billions (or more) to demolish any other way. It allowed them to destroy all the federal court evidence in Building 7. It allowed them to serve Hussein for selling oil for something other than petrodollars. And it enabled them to begin the Afghanistan Quagmire, which has been immensely profitable to both the military industrial complex and the CIA's opium business, and prevented the Russian natural gas pipeline to the Adriatic.

    But it had another effect. It gave the people of the U.S. a common enemy, which united us. Never in our history were race relations better than on September 12, 2001, if you discount relations between Arab-Americans and everyone else. And they didn't like that side effect. After all, the advantage they realize from racism is well-known:



    So, they began working at moving race relations ass backwards. 'White privilege' was one of the more successful buzz terms used toward that end. It only makes sense they would then capitalize on that success, and begin using the 'privilege' buzzword to make us jealous of each others' talents. We react to each others' talents two ways, with admiration and jealousy. Mutual admiration enables us to team up, and use each others' talents in pursuit of a common goal. Jealousy divides us so we can be conquered. There was a lot of mutual admiration in this movement eight years ago, and it made us pretty dangerous. Where is it now? msnbc worked hard to paint us as racists (though they were awfully incompetent about it, showing images of African-Americans at Tea Party events in the process), but people of all races were hearing our message anyway. They doubled down on filling our ranks with stormfront plants, but that didn't stop us. But Trump openly invited the racists in, and that straw broke the camel's back, at least for the 2016 cycle.

    But clearly that was not a permanent solution to the threat we represent to the powers that be. Make no mistake--if we let them get away with this strategy, it will be the solution to the threat the liberty movement poses to them. 'Don't listen to smart people' is just the message to ensure that no rabble rouser can effect positive change in an era of unrest. They have the media and the bully pulpit. The only way we ever got heard over their noise was by making sense. If the disaffected majority can be trained to distrust anyone who makes sense, then their 'solutions' to the problems they created will be the ones the disaffected majority will foolishly rally around.

    I've heard a lot of 'Rand Paul should have done what Trump did' around here. But what Trump did couldn't be done without 24/7 media cooperation. We made what inroads we did against the media machine by making logical sense. Even stupidity is no proof against that, in the end. They want to make the common people distrust logic and good sense, so they can herd them into supporting what hurts them the most. Call it Power Privilege. Or is that Rank Privilege? It must be, because brothers and sisters, it certainly is rank!

    How do we fight it? Well, as difficult a balance as it is to achieve, we advertise our humility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harper Lee
    People in their right minds never take pride in their talents.
    Talents are given by God, and no one has any right to be proud of being given a gift by God. But we can be proud of what we do with those God-given talents!
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-30-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: I left out an as. Now I know where my as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I agree and not everyone has the same gifts. The smart guy/gal may not be very athletic or charismatic and the athlete may not have a lick of sense. It's also important to note that even though someone may be gifted in a certain area, they may never reach their potential or even care to.



    LOL! I'm sure your lactose intolerance will take you far in life.
    I'm going to show my reading comprehension privilege and point out he said lactose tolerant, not intolerant.
    "The Patriarch"

    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    As is regularly pointed out on this forum, Trump is an idiot, a liar, and regularly uses bloated exaggeration so why would anyone put much stock into what he says? I think it's easy to figure Trump out. Sorry you are still confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    The man did not think clearly. It was almost as if he had brain cancer of something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    LOL

    Voting does not justify being robbed by criminals using government.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Yup,,as inconsistent as he is prolific..

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I agree and not everyone has the same gifts. The smart guy/gal may not be very athletic or charismatic and the athlete may not have a lick of sense. It's also important to note that even though someone may be gifted in a certain area, they may never reach their potential or even care to.
    This is true and should be pointed out whenever someone talks about white privilege or even cognitive privilege. People do have a mix of privileges, for example, a white person cannot stay out in the sun without getting a sun burn, I on the other hand has never gotten sun burn. Ofc a white person can attempt to match my sun staying power by slathering loads of sun block on their skin but he would be spending his/her valuable resources to do so. Such is life, people have different gift that enhance their chances of survival and success in society and some in aggregate have more than other but I bet that's how it has always been the case. You just have to use whatever privileges you have to get the best out of life..

    Life is not fair

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    LOL! I'm sure your lactose intolerance will take you far in life.
    I never said I was lactose intolerant. I used to be lactose intolerant but I kept drinking milk until my body started producing lactase and I make sure to drink milk at least every other day just to remind my body that I still and will continue to consume milk. The way I look at it, I would rather die than live without being able to consume diary products especially cheese in pizza. Thank you Jesus

    And yes, my tolerance of lactose will take me that little further in life. Right now I am saying about $3 every month by not having to buy lactose free milk and in a lifetime, that adds up to thousands of dollars in saving. Savings which I can then use to buy medicine to keep me alive a little longer..
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'm going to show my reading comprehension privilege and point out he said lactose tolerant, not intolerant.
    That's rude. You shouldn't point out other peoples disadvantages, O. You don't have good manners privilege.

    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    This is true and should be pointed out whenever someone talks about white privilege or even cognitive privilege. People do have a mix of privileges, for example, a white person cannot stay out in the sun without getting a sun burn, I on the other hand has never gotten sun burn. Ofc a white person can attempt to match my sun staying power by slathering loads of sun block on their skin but he would be spending his/her valuable resources to do so. Such is life, people have different gift that enhance their chances of survival and success in society and some in aggregate have more than other but I bet that's how it has always been the case. You just have to use whatever privileges you have to get the best out of life..

    Life is not fair
    I'm "white" and have tanning privilege. I never wear sunblock or get burned. However, I imagine I am more susceptible to skin damage from the sun than you are. You have black don't crack privilege.

    I never said I was lactose intolerant. I used to be lactose intolerant but I kept drinking milk until my body started producing lactase and I make sure to drink milk at least every other day just to remind my body that I still and will continue to consume milk. The way I look at it, I would rather die than live without being able to consume diary products especially cheese in pizza. Thank you Jesus

    And yes, my tolerance of lactose will take me that little further in life. Right now I am saying about $3 every month by not having to buy lactose free milk and in a lifetime, that adds up to thousands of dollars in saving. Savings which I can then use to buy medicine to keep me alive a little longer..
    As O pointed out, I wasn't born with reading comprehension privilege. I do have lactose privilege but I don't have pooping privilege and dairy clogs up the pipes.

    *I also don't have spelling privilege. I call him O because I have no idea how to spell his name. I could look at it but I don't have motivation privilege, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  16. #14

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I wonder if the word privilege was replaced with blessing or maybe gift, would more people have and easier time understanding the concept? The way I look at it, a privilege is actually a good thing which people should be proud to have.
    Except it is not, by calling it a "privilege" they want you to be ashamed or sorry for having these gifts and think you should be penalized all in the name of fairness.

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Except it is not, by calling it a "privilege" they want you to be ashamed or sorry for having these gifts and think you should be penalized all in the name of fairness.
    “The purpose” here “is not to instill a sort of Catholic guilt in someone’s psyche.”
    He claims otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Talents are given by God, and no one has any right to be proud of being given a gift by God. But we can be proud of what we do with those God-given talents!
    I don't believe talent exists. I believe hard work and training exists. People say my brother is talented with cars. I happen to know it is just he has done what he had to do, from fixing his first beater van without a clue how, to fixing all of his friend mechanical problems.

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

    *I also don't have spelling privilege. I call him O because I have no idea how to spell his name. I could look at it but I don't have motivation privilege, either.
    "The Patriarch"

    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    As is regularly pointed out on this forum, Trump is an idiot, a liar, and regularly uses bloated exaggeration so why would anyone put much stock into what he says? I think it's easy to figure Trump out. Sorry you are still confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    The man did not think clearly. It was almost as if he had brain cancer of something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    LOL

    Voting does not justify being robbed by criminals using government.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Yup,,as inconsistent as he is prolific..

  22. #19
    Intellectual ability should be celebrated and valued as a benefit to society. All great societies think that information is as good as gold.

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    He claims otherwise.
    Right, of course and bullies are always just "joking". To call it privilege and pretend it is not meant to be derogatory is to ignore the common use and implied meaning of the word.

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Intellectual ability should be celebrated and valued as a benefit to society. All great societies think that information is as good as gold.


    Newsweek: “A Cult of Ignorance” by Isaac Asimov, January 21, 1980, p. 19. PDF. - http://aphelis.net/cult-ignorance-isaac-asimov-1980/

    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.
    Last edited by timosman; 07-30-2017 at 09:53 AM.

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Newsweek: “A Cult of Ignorance” by Isaac Asimov, January 21, 1980, p. 19. PDF. - http://aphelis.net/cult-ignorance-isaac-asimov-1980/
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.
    It is funny. Just recently I was having an argument/debate with my mom about all this privilege stuff and she thought I was exaggerating. *note: I explicitly predicted this "smart privilege" thing.

    Anyways, we were having brunch at one of her favorite spots before taking her to the airport and before leaving she came out of the restroom and said she saw a poster in the women's room that made her think that I had a point. It said something like, "A woman's intuition is always more accurate than a man's logic." I informed her that there was no opposite poster in the men's room, only the sunday comics. She was insulted by the poster and said we should never patronize their establishment again. I think she plans on writing them a sternly worded letter -- she likes to do that kind of thing.

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I don't believe talent exists. I believe hard work and training exists.
    LOL

    So, she plays better than untold numbers of people who have practiced their asses off for decades because she started practicing years before she was born?



    It takes more than just a prog frame of mind to make aptitude into a myth. Check your Denial Privilege.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-30-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    LOL

    So, she plays better than untold numbers of people who have practiced their asses off for decades because she started practicing years before she was born?



    It takes more than just a prog frame of mind to make aptitude into a myth. Check your Denial Privilege.
    There are lots of examples like that.

    Leslie Lemke

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    LOL

    So, she plays better than untold numbers of people who have practiced their asses off for decades because she started practicing years before she was born?



    Check your Denial Privilege.
    Exactly.

    My brother had never played a piano until my mom bought one when he was a teen. He sat down at the keys and PLAYED and has never stopped. He had never played a piano before- just watched others. He is sheer genius and is a fantastic composer as well as a pianist.
    There is no spoon.

  30. #26
    Law of Jante - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

    The ten rules state:

    1. You're not to think you are anything special.
    2. You're not to think you are as good as we are.
    3. You're not to think you are smarter than we are.
    4. You're not to imagine yourself better than we are.
    5. You're not to think you know more than we do.
    6. You're not to think you are more important than we are.
    7. You're not to think you are good at anything.
    8. You're not to laugh at us.
    9. You're not to think anyone cares about you.
    10. You're not to think you can teach us anything.


    These ten principles or commandments are often claimed to form the "Jante's Shield" of the Scandinavian people.

    In the book, the Janters who transgress this unwritten 'law' are regarded with suspicion and some hostility, as it goes against the town's communal desire to preserve harmony, social stability and uniformity.

    An eleventh rule recognised in the novel as 'the penal code of Jante' is:

    11. Perhaps you don't think we know a few things about you?

  31. #27
    For a bunch of people who celebrate diversity, they sure have a problem with it...

    So any talent or inclination is considered a form of dominance? To me a privilege implies that someone of else is oppressed. A talent or gift, on the other hand, is a specific foundation of an individual's skill set. I'm a natural born artist but I never wielded my "privilege" against those who were less inclined then I. There's a level of integrity, modesty, discipline and application that inspires certain individuals to prevail in a specific field. Some are fortunate to be born with a "talent". It's not a privilege and it's not a guarantee of success, it's still applying yourself and your skills to go in a natural direction as far as your heart's desire. There are many talented people who never get to pursue their inclinations.

    Someone told me a little anecdote the other day. The world's biggest baseball fan dies and goes to Heaven. He's at the Pearly Gates and meets St Peter so he asks him who the greatest baseball player that ever was. Was it Micky Mantle or Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, or who? St Peter thinks about it for a moment and says it's John Spore. The fan looks at him puzzled and asks " Who's John Spore? Was he in the American League? National?" St Peters says, "No, he was an accountant." We celebrate celebrities and head lines but those aren't necessarily the greatest in their fields but they are the ones who pursued it.

  32. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangergirl View Post
    For a bunch of people who celebrate diversity, they sure have a problem with it...

    So any talent or inclination is considered a form of dominance? To me a privilege implies that someone of else is oppressed. A talent or gift, on the other hand, is a specific foundation of an individual's skill set. I'm a natural born artist but I never wielded my "privilege" against those who were less inclined then I. There's a level of integrity, modesty, discipline and application that inspires certain individuals to prevail in a specific field. Some are fortunate to be born with a "talent". It's not a privilege and it's not a guarantee of success, it's still applying yourself and your skills to go in a natural direction as far as your heart's desire. There are many talented people who never get to pursue their inclinations.

    Someone told me a little anecdote the other day. The world's biggest baseball fan dies and goes to Heaven. He's at the Pearly Gates and meets St Peter so he asks him who the greatest baseball player that ever was. Was it Micky Mantle or Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, or who? St Peter thinks about it for a moment and says it's John Spore. The fan looks at him puzzled and asks " Who's John Spore? Was he in the American League? National?" St Peters says, "No, he was an accountant." We celebrate celebrities and head lines but those aren't necessarily the greatest in their fields but they are the ones who pursued it.
    Talent alone is not a guarantee of success. You need to identify the field and apply it.


  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangergirl View Post
    For a bunch of people who celebrate diversity, they sure have a problem with it...

    So any talent or inclination is considered a form of dominance? To me a privilege implies that someone of else is oppressed. A talent or gift, on the other hand, is a specific foundation of an individual's skill set. I'm a natural born artist but I never wielded my "privilege" against those who were less inclined then I. There's a level of integrity, modesty, discipline and application that inspires certain individuals to prevail in a specific field. Some are fortunate to be born with a "talent". It's not a privilege and it's not a guarantee of success, it's still applying yourself and your skills to go in a natural direction as far as your heart's desire. There are many talented people who never get to pursue their inclinations.

    Someone told me a little anecdote the other day. The world's biggest baseball fan dies and goes to Heaven. He's at the Pearly Gates and meets St Peter so he asks him who the greatest baseball player that ever was. Was it Micky Mantle or Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, or who? St Peter thinks about it for a moment and says it's John Spore. The fan looks at him puzzled and asks " Who's John Spore? Was he in the American League? National?" St Peters says, "No, he was an accountant." We celebrate celebrities and head lines but those aren't necessarily the greatest in their fields but they are the ones who pursued it.
    They only want diversity if it comes with equality but anyone with a lick of cognitive privilege can see that's not the way it works.

    *Check your artsy privilege. I can barely draw stick figures.*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  34. #30
    A child raised by stupid parent/s has little chance. The same child raised by intelligent people that challenge with critical thinking and logic skills will prosper. In most cases it is not privilege it is cognitive nurturing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. More White Privilege BS
    By tod evans in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-20-2019, 02:16 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2014, 04:48 AM
  3. Privilege vs. Rights, Check Your Obedient Privilege
    By PierzStyx in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 01:59 PM
  4. White Privilege?
    By tod evans in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM
  5. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •