Thread: Unexpected Ben & Jerry's Ingredient: Herbicide

Unexpected Ben & Jerry's Ingredient: Herbicide

(NEWSER) – Ben & Jerry's: non-GMO, fair trade, made with "caring dairy" and cage-free eggs, concerned with the environment ... and containing herbicide? The popular ice cream brand is under fire after the Organic Consumers Association released Tuesday a list of food brands found to contain traces of glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup. On that list: 10 of the 11 samples of Ben & Jerry's ice cream that were tested, the New York Times reports. The paper notes that the levels were "far below" the EPA's limits, but Ronnie Cummins, the OCA's international director, notes: "Would you want to be eating this stuff at all?" Business Insider reports social media backlash soon followed, with some consumers calling for a brand boycott. In a press release, the OCA calls for Ben & Jerry's to go completely organic, labeling its current claims of being "all-natural" and "sustainable" as "fraudulent" marketing.

http://www.newser.com/story/246301/t...en-jerrys.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How much is "trace"? They can find things at five parts per trillion. One part per trillion would be the same as adding a pinch of salt to 1,000 tons of potato chips.

"Even if the reported results are accurate, as the laboratory that conducted the test stated, a person would have to consume 145,000 eight-ounce servings PER DAY to reach the limit set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)," the spokesperson said.

Mommy govt should have protected us from those evil capitalist pigs: ben and jerry!

*Raises hand* I gotta question

When they said they tested the "ice cream", what were they testing? Ben and Jerry's ice cream is like half ice cream and half cookies or brownies or some bull$#@!.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the ice cream is probably pretty clean.. I'm guessing it's all the bullcrap they throw in their ice cream that has the glyphosate.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Though I prefer organic/less synthetic pesticide food for a number of reasons, I do realize that even at parts per billion you could likely find a part of a chemical that Ive never consciously used if you tested my hat, just because I've worn it outside.

Likely to find other elements that are considered toxic at much higher levels as well.

Parts per Trillion is very small and possibly an unavoidable contamination threat commercially but that's why I try to find the least processed foods.
    Last edited by The Northbreather; 07-26-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Mommy govt should have protected us from those evil capitalist pigs: ben and jerry!
    EDIT: Awww, $#@!. I missed the joke.
    +rep for specs

Actually, Ben and Jerry feel Bernie's Yearning.

And they're the ones calling for mandatory labeling...

We support mandatory GMO labeling, and a consumer’s right to know what’s in their food.
    http://www.benjerry.com/GMO
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 07-26-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner