Thread: Unemployment in the UK is Now So Low It's in Danger of Exposing the Lie Used To Create Numbers

Unemployment in the UK is Now So Low It's in Danger of Exposing the Lie Used To Create Numbers

Unemployment in the UK is Now So Low It's in Danger of Exposing the Lie Used To Create the Numbers
    https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/0...te-the-numbers
    http://www.businessinsider.com/unemp...rs-2017-7?IR=T

Unemployment in Britain is now just 4.5 percent. There are only 1.49 million unemployed people in the UK, versus 32 million people with jobs. This is almost unheard of. Unemployment was most recently this low in December 1973, when the UK set an unrepeated record of just 3.4 percent. From a report:

The problem with this record is that the statistical definition of "unemployment" relies on a fiction that economists tell themselves about the nature of work. As the rate gets lower and lower, it tests that lie. Because -- as anyone who has studied basic economics knows -- the official definition of unemployment disguises the true rate. In reality, about 21.5 percent of all working-age people (defined as ages 16 to 64) are without jobs, or 8.83 million people, according to the Office for National Statistics. That's more than four times the official number. For decades, economists have agreed on an artificial definition of what unemployment means. Their argument is that people who are taking time off, or have given up looking for work, or work at home to look after their family, don't count as part of the workforce.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would never have guessed that the population of the UK was only around 40 million people. For a nation that once spanned the entire globe (the sun never set on it), they have a small population compared to the USA, much less India (which they once subjugated).

Unemployment is one of the worst statistics for judging the economy. Dirt poor communist countries have no unemployment. Cavemen had no unemployment. I'm not crazy about GDP but it's a lot better than unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Unemployment in the UK is Now So Low It's in Danger of Exposing the Lie Used To Create the Numbers
    What is "unemployed"? If I don't want a job should I count as unemployed? If I am unwilling or unable to work, am I "unemployed"? If I am retired, should I count as unemployed? If I am a stay at home parent or other person not working for money but taking care of somebody else, should I be counted as unemployed? If I am in school and don't need to work to pay for that school and can focus on my studies, should I be counted as unemployed? If I am disabled and can't work should I be considered unemployed? What is "full employment"? When all those people who don't want one are forced to have one? Or is full employment impossible?

If these people are unemployed, then the US has never had unemployment below 30%. Does that mean the US economy has always sucked?

BLS counts people who are not currently working but at least trying to find a job.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-25-2017 at 12:12 PM.

They've pretty much redefined the word to suit their purposes. Labor force participation rate seems a better indicator, but they'll likely change that as soon as it becomes mainstream.

If I don't want a job should I count as unemployed?
    If I am unwilling or unable to work, am I "unemployed"?
    If I am retired, should I count as unemployed?
    If I am a stay at home parent or other person not working for money but taking care of somebody else, should I be counted as unemployed?
    If I am in school and don't need to work to pay for that school and can focus on my studies, should I be counted as unemployed?
    If I am disabled and can't work should I be considered unemployed?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    They've pretty much redefined the word to suit their purposes. Labor force participation rate seems a better indicator, but they'll likely change that as soon as it becomes mainstream.
    When would you consider the US had the best in terms of jobs? What was the labor force participation rate then? The Post WWII boom had a lower participation rate than we have today. By using Labor Force Participation Rate they had 40% unemployment then.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-25-2017 at 12:26 PM.

When would you consider the US had the best in terms of jobs? What was the labor force participation rate then? The Post WWII boom had a lower participation rate than we have today. By using Labor Force Participation Rate they had 40% unemployment then.

What at a great graph and you have some points. Our participation rate is higher then it was after WWII, but our economy is very different as a result of Fed policy. Back then one person could support an entire family and frequently did. Now as to your graph don't you find it odd that every line is trending down except for 55+? Something the graph does not show you is how many of those 55+ are now working at Walmart or Home Depot, and how few of the young people have permanent jobs.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    100% of those unemployed are unemployed.
    100% of those employed are employed.
    100% of those on unemployment are on unemployment and need to get a damn job.

What is "unemployed"? If I don't want a job should I count as unemployed? If I am unwilling or unable to work, am I "unemployed"? If I am retired, should I count as unemployed? If I am a stay at home parent or other person not working for money but taking care of somebody else, should I be counted as unemployed? If I am in school and don't need to work to pay for that school and can focus on my studies, should I be counted as unemployed? If I am disabled and can't work should I be considered unemployed? What is "full employment"? When all those people who don't want one are forced to have one? Or is full employment impossible?

If these people are unemployed, then the US has never had unemployment below 30%. Does that mean the US economy has always sucked?

BLS counts people who are not currently working but at least trying to find a job.
    This is exactly why you get a LOT of -Reps from me. You can NOT tell me for a fact that every person in this country that does not have a job actually does NOT want a job. That is a ton of horse $#@! and you know it. There are reasonable exceptions, but they count no where near what you think it does. Yes, Im looking for a job, no I havent had any interviews. No, I dont count as Unemployed either. And it is backed up exactly by the Thread Title, the LIE used to create the fictitious numbers. The LIE you continue to support, and Govt continues to promote to make itself look good.

-REP Zippy
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Yes.
    Lol, unemployment literally means, not employed- ie. EVERYONE without a job
    Tax is theft. War is murder. Conscription is slavery. Government is organized crime.

Some BLS numbers (in thousands) from 2016: https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat35.htm

Not in the Labor Force: 94,351

Don't Currently Want A Job: 88,502

Want a Job: 5,849

Of those who want a job:

Did not Search for a Job in the Previous Year: 3,415

Searched in Past Year but Not in Previous Four Weeks: 2,434

Not Available for Work Now: 630

Marginally Attached and Available For Work Now: 1,804
    ( Persons "marginally attached to the labor force" are those who want a job, have searched for work during the prior 12 months, and were available to take a job during the reference week, but had not looked for work in the past 4 weeks)

Discouraged By Job Prospects: 553

Reasons Other Than Discouraged: 1,250

Family Responsibilities: 199
    In School or Training: 224
    Ill Health or Disability: 144
    Other: 682

Chart at link also breaks down by age groups.

Keep in mind that 10,000 baby boomers are also retiring every day on average.

Some BLS numbers (in thousands) from 2016: https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat35.htm

Not in the Labor Force: 94,351

Don't Currently Want A Job: 88,502

Want a Job: 5,849

Of those who want a job:

Did not Search for a Job in the Previous Year: 3,415

Searched in Past Year but Not in Previous Four Weeks: 2,434

Not Available for Work Now: 630

Marginally Attached and Available For Work Now: 1,804
    ( Persons "marginally attached to the labor force" are those who want a job, have searched for work during the prior 12 months, and were available to take a job during the reference week, but had not looked for work in the past 4 weeks)

Discouraged By Job Prospects: 553

Reasons Other Than Discouraged: 1,250

Family Responsibilities: 199
    In School or Training: 224
    Ill Health or Disability: 144
    Other: 682

Chart at link also breaks down by age groups.

Keep in mind that 10,000 baby boomers are also retiring every day on average.
    What part of you thinks that we don't already know this?

Some of those excluded from the labor force are properly excluded (e.g. genuine students or homemakers).

With others (e.g. those identifying as discouraged who are discouraged only because they get a check for doing nothing), it's a gimmick.

Real unemployment is definitely higher than it the statistics indicate; how much exactly I couldn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    I would never have guessed that the population of the UK was only around 40 million people. For a nation that once spanned the entire globe (the sun never set on it), they have a small population compared to the USA, much less India (which they once subjugated).
    The number of British soldiers and officials in India never exceeded about 100,000 IIRC: amazing indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Unemployment is one of the worst statistics for judging the economy. Dirt poor communist countries have no unemployment. Cavemen had no unemployment. I'm not crazy about GDP but it's a lot better than unemployment.
    Yup

GDP/capita is a much better metric of general prosperity.

Unemployment can be good for identifying state interference in the labor market.

This is exactly why you get a LOT of -Reps from me. You can NOT tell me for a fact that every person in this country that does not have a job actually does NOT want a job. That is a ton of horse $#@! and you know it. There are reasonable exceptions, but they count no where near what you think it does. Yes, Im looking for a job, no I havent had any interviews. No, I dont count as Unemployed either. And it is backed up exactly by the Thread Title, the LIE used to create the fictitious numbers. The LIE you continue to support, and Govt continues to promote to make itself look good.

-REP Zippy
    I don't pretend that there is not a single person who wants a job has one or that everybody without a job doesn't want one. That would be a zero percent unemployment rate by BLS methods of calculation. That has never happened (the USSR used to claim zero unemployment).

Yes, Im looking for a job, no I havent had any interviews. No, I dont count as Unemployed either.
    If you are LOOKING, even if you don't have any interviews set up, you are in the labor force and are counted as unemployed (assuming you are not currently working for pay anywhere).

I don't pretend that there is not a single person who wants a job has one or that everybody without a job doesn't want one. That would be a zero percent unemployment rate by BLS methods of calculation. That has never happened (the USSR used to claim zero unemployment).

If you are LOOKING, even if you don't have any interviews set up, you are in the labor force and are counted as unemployed (assuming you are not currently working for pay anywhere).
    BULL$#@!.

When 2008 hit, I used up 99 weeks and did not have a job at the end. I know I did not count, I checked. Yes, I was $#@!ing applying everywhere, but no one was hiring at the time. Thus, no collecting unemployment, no counting as unemployed. So your theory goes right out the window along with the rest of your economic horse anal evacuations. Just like if you have a realtors license, you do NOT count as unemployed. Or many other factors designed just to exclude people from the workforce.

And for the record, you know how so many people complain that many politicians are disconnected from reality? Yeah, that is you. Totally disconnected to what is actually going on. You must hold office somewhere...
    1776 > 1984

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When 2008 hit, I used up 99 weeks and did not have a job at the end. I know I did not count, I checked. Yes, I was $#@!ing applying everywhere, but no one was hiring at the time. Thus, no collecting unemployment, no counting as unemployed.
    The unemployment numbers aren't based on the number of people collecting unemployment; they're based on a monthly survey.

Or so says the BLS, anyway.

What makes you think someone in your position at that time wouldn't have been counted?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The unemployment numbers aren't based on the number of people collecting unemployment; they're based on a monthly survey.

Or so says the BLS, anyway.

What makes you think someone in your position at that time wouldn't have been counted?
    Well, for six years, I never got contacted by the BLS. No one I EVER met in my entire life did either. Okay, for the record, has ANYONE HERE ever been surveyed by the BLS?
    1776 > 1984

Well, for six years, I never got contacted by the BLS. No one I EVER met in my entire life did either. Okay, for the record, has ANYONE HERE ever been surveyed by the BLS?
    Obviously it is impossible to contact 330 million people every month so they randomly select 60,000 who they track for three months- each month 20,000 get replaced by another 20,000. If somebody says they were looking for work, they are counted as in the labor force. At 20,000 a month, it could in theory take 16,500 months to get to you on their list.

As r3volution 3.0 points out, collecting unemployment insurance does not necessarily mean you are counted as unemployed- though usually a condition of receiving unemployment insurance is that you are looking for a job (or at least saying you are) and that is also required to be considered unemployed by the BLS. If that insurance runs out for you and you are still looking, you are still in the labor force and counted as unemployed. Unless you found a job. If you give up looking after your insurance ran out, you are no longer in the labor force and WILL count as unemployed.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-26-2017 at 12:06 PM.

As Zippy explains, the odds of being surveyed are extremely low: 60,000 surveys / 125 million households = 0.048% chance per month.

I've never been surveyed and don't know anyone who has, but that's not surprising.

You'd have to know and ask over 1000 people for there to be a 50% chance that one of them was surveyed in a given month.

As Zippy explains, the odds of being surveyed are extremely low: 60,000 surveys / 125 million households = 0.048% chance per month.

I've never been surveyed and don't know anyone who has, but that's not surprising.

You'd have to know and ask over 1000 people for there to be a 50% chance that one of them was surveyed in a given month.
    I'm pretty sure "in a given month" was not the question DamianTV asked. It was probably "ever". If you assume that the average person you ask has worked 20 years that would be 240 months X .048% = 11.52% per person. So if you ask 1000 if they've ever been surveyed that answer should be around 110 people (if my math is accurate).

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I'm pretty sure "in a given month" was not the question DamianTV asked. It was probably "ever". If you assume that the average person you ask has worked 20 years that would be 240 months X .048% = 11.52% per person.
    That's correct. So if you ask 9 households (it goes by household, not person) or so, the odds are very good that you'd have found 1 that at some point had a member that did a survey. I personally have never done a survey, or ever asked anyone else if they did. You'll have to ask Damian how many he's asked. Note also that there's some overlap in the families surveyed each month (they track them over several months), so the real probability is less than 0.048%/household/month.

Anyway, what's the thesis here? They don't really do surveys at all and just make it all up from whole cloth?
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 07-26-2017 at 06:25 PM.

I probably only asked about a hundred or so people when I was out of work for as long as I was.

What I see here is a ton of rationalizations doing nothing but trying to make stuff up to validate the govts claim that unemployment is as low as they claim. Govt has lied to everyone about just about everything else in order to support their own agenda. Do you guys who believe the claim really think govt would not have any problems lying about the Unemployment Rate also?
    1776 > 1984

What I see here is a ton of rationalizations doing nothing but trying to make stuff up to validate the govts claim that unemployment is as low as they claim.
    What you're seeing is people correcting your misunderstanding of how the BLS purports to collect its data, to which your response is accusation. If you want to assume that the BLS simply fabricates all its data, and then assume that the unemployment rate is X, where X is whatever you believe to be based on anecdotes, by all means. I give exactly zero $#@!s what you think the unemployment rate is. I for one do believe that the BLS does the surveys which it claims to do, because it would be far too easy to be caught not doing them. I also know that they manipulate the analysis of that raw data, as by disregarding the fact that many "discouraged workers" are only discouraged because they're on welfare (as I explained in an earlier post).

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What you're seeing is people correcting your misunderstanding of how the BLS purports to collect its data, to which your response is accusation. If you want to assume that the BLS simply fabricates all its data, and then assume that the unemployment rate is X, where X is whatever you believe to be based on anecdotes, by all means. I give exactly zero $#@!s what you think the unemployment rate is. I for one do believe that the BLS does the surveys which it claims to do, because it would be far too easy to be caught not doing them. I also know that they manipulate the analysis of that raw data, as by disregarding the fact that many "discouraged workers" are only discouraged because they're on welfare (as I explained in an earlier post).
    I have no misunderstandings of either lies perpetuated by govt, nor the actual unemployment statistics. And since it sounds like you think I am dreaming, lets also consider that under Obama, the legal definition of "Long Term Unemployed" was reduced from two years to one year in order to further manipulate those statistics.

Smoke and mirrors with numbers. Just like our money system. Just like WMDs. Just like 911, Pearl Harbor, the sinking of the Lusatania, Gulf of Tonkin, Alchohol Prohibition, Greenbacks, nah, govt has NEVER EVER lied to us, we are just too dumb to understand any of it.

As humans, it is possible for anyone to be duped and lied to. We are fallible. We make mistakes. The only mistake that I see is NOT that people do not understand either the employment statistical manipulations or even how money works, it IS that people hear what they want to hear because it validates their view of the world. If you really take a look around, not just at me, but the whole damn world, we are in very very deep $#@!, the boat sank, and we never even had a paddle. That is a reality that is so terrifying to grasp that people, my own family members included, do NOT want to see so they just go with any lies they are told. Reality is terrifying and is what will bite you in the ass if youre not prepared. R3v, I dont think you will personally benefit when the economy goes sideways and makes 2008 look like a walk in the park like I think Zippy will prosper from the suffering of others.

Other points I do agree with, such as welfare / "discouraged workers". That makes sense, to a certain extent, and that is also quite scary. If the 102.6 million working age adults that are not included in the Workforce are mainly there because they've responded to the incentive to just go on welfare (reasonable exceptions from that 102.6 million like students or stay at home moms, etc) that is a terrifying prospect, and a perfect example of why both Socialism and Fiat Currencies always fail. It would be the embodiment of the Cloward Piven Strategy. At 102.6 million, thats roughly a 30% unemployment rate, which I also think sounds way way way too high. I'd estimate 15% to 18%, even right now. Even the difference between the U3 and U6 still shows a very large disagreement with their official and now just phoney sounding numbers. Things do appear to be better than they were. I see "Now Hiring" signs in many minimum wage jobs. So some progress has been made. Im just saying we have not really recovered from 2008 by a very wide margin.

(Cloward Piven Strategy - Overload a nations social support structures to the point the system collapses from the burden on finances and resources)
    1776 > 1984

That's correct. So if you ask 9 households (it goes by household, not person) or so, the odds are very good that you'd have found 1 that at some point had a member that did a survey. I personally have never done a survey, or ever asked anyone else if they did. You'll have to ask Damian how many he's asked. Note also that there's some overlap in the families surveyed each month (they track them over several months), so the real probability is less than 0.048%/household/month.

Anyway, what's the thesis here? They don't really do surveys at all and just make it all up from whole cloth?
    No, I think they do them, I'm just bored.

I probably only asked about a hundred or so people when I was out of work for as long as I was.

What I see here is a ton of rationalizations doing nothing but trying to make stuff up to validate the govts claim that unemployment is as low as they claim. Govt has lied to everyone about just about everything else in order to support their own agenda. Do you guys who believe the claim really think govt would not have any problems lying about the Unemployment Rate also?
    Odds of being picked are actually one in 16,000.

I have no misunderstandings of either lies perpetuated by govt, nor the actual unemployment statistics. And since it sounds like you think I am dreaming, lets also consider that under Obama, the legal definition of "Long Term Unemployed" was reduced from two years to one year in order to further manipulate those statistics.
    To be considered "long term unemployed" you need to be out of work at least six months. What was extended was how many years you can be unemployed and still be counted. That was raised from two years to five years in 2010. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ess28_ST_N.htm

So many Americans have been jobless for so long that the government is changing how it records long-term unemployment.
    Citing what it calls "an unprecedented rise" in long-term unemployment, the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), beginning Saturday, will raise from two years to five years the upper limit on how long someone can be listed as having been jobless.

The move could help economists better measure the severity of the nation's prolonged economic downturn.

The change is a sign that bureau officials "are afraid that a cap of two years may be 'understating the true average duration' — but they won't know by how much until they raise the upper limit," says Linda Barrington, an economist who directs the Institute for Compensation Studies at Cornell University's School of Industrial and Labor Relations.
    Extending the time period will increase the number of people counted as long term unemployed.

The number of long term unemployed people peaked at 6.8 million that year. It is currently down to 1.66 million. https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS13008636

To be considered "long term unemployed" you need to be out of work at least six months. What was extended was how many years you can be unemployed and still be counted. That was raised from two years to five years in 2010. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ess28_ST_N.htm

Extending the time period will increase the number of people counted as long term unemployed.

The number of long term unemployed people peaked at 6.8 million that year. It is currently down to 1.66 million. https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS13008636
    Wow. Even more validation for "Govt is always right", and "I should only listen to Govt" even tho that is EXACTLY what I have been calling bull$#@! on for years. Get your damn finger away from the LIE Dept.
    1776 > 1984

Some BLS numbers (in thousands)...
    Using BLS BS to defend BLS BS? I am disappointed. I know it usually takes new Zippies a little while to get up to speed, and quality suffers a bit during the transition. But this really takes the cake.

Well? The Zippy Account's whole schtick is to bombard us poor, unbrainwa--er, I mean uneducated slobs with the facts, figures, and most of all, charts cooked up for our benefit. The Zippy Account prides itself on its ability to do research, like a good little personal assistant intern. So, in deference to the fact that we've suffered through a few 'free elections' and know a thing or two about pollster methodology, why not help us out with some BLS pollster methodology? After all, private pollsters publish that stuff. The BLS not so much, but surely with the position you hold you have connections!

So, please, ferret that out for us. Do they ever phone homeless shelters? Do they send agents under bridges? Do they ever dial Obamaphones? Or do they confine themselves to discovering the 'truth' about unemployment by dialing only landlines...?

Maybe the OP should add a poll to this thread so we can take bets. Zippy will...
    1. ...find that methodology out right away and post it here.
    2. ...ignore this post, just the way he's ignoring afwjam's excellent point that Fed policy has brought us to where professions which used to support families of four no longer pay enough to feed, house and clothe the worker him/herself.
    3. ...run away from this thread and never bump it again.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-28-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...