Thread: "World's Smallest Political Quiz" door hangers & the effectiveness of leafleting

Question "World's Smallest Political Quiz" door hangers & the effectiveness of leafleting

At the Libertarian party website, they sell these "World's Smallest Political Quiz" door hangers for 5 cents apiece:
    https://lpstore.org/product/door-hanger-quiz/

On the surface, this seems like a pretty ideal way to advertise your cause. I can't think of a cheaper way to get a message in front of someone's face. All you need is the money to print up literature materials and the willingness to do the legwork of distributing them. You have lots of control over how much information is presented. One dedicated person can reach thousands of households, given enough time. As far as I know, in most parts of the country it's perfectly legal to distribute political literature.

I read a book recently called Get Out the Vote. The authors use statistical analysis to gauge the cost-effectiveness of different get-out-the-vote tactics.
    https://www.amazon.com/Get-Out-Vote-...t+out+the+vote

The results aren't too surprising - on a dollar-per-vote basis, personal contact is king. Door-to-door canvassing works best, followed by phone calls, preferably by the candidate himself.

Leafleting - the general act of leaving literature at people's households - doesn't score highly. The effect is not significantly greater than zero. This is actually comparable to other impersonal methods, such as TV, radio, and mail.

However, the book takes a very short-term approach to the question - what tactic is most cost-effective for encouraging a potential voter to vote a certain way in an upcoming election? I'm wondering if impersonal techniques like leafleting might serve the more long-term purpose of raising awareness for your cause, if they're done consistently.

Obviously, no single leaflet or TV ad is likely to change a person's entire system of beliefs. At some point, the person needs to take the initiative to learn more about your philosophy before they can come over to your side. But before they can even consider coming over to your side, they have to know you exist.

In that regard, I wonder if leafleting can be just as effective as other impersonal tactics, like TV and radio ads. If you're short on cash, can this be a good, cheap way of increasing recognition of your candidate/cause? Does it lend the same air of legitimacy that an expensive TV ad does? Imagine if, every year for ten years, liberty-themed literature like this were left on the door of every household in your neighborhood. Maybe it could have information on local activist groups, if any exist. Over time, would it help raise awareness of what a libertarian is? If you're already a liberty-lover, would you be encouraged by this? Or would everyone just get annoyed by the extra junk mail being left at their door?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacojones View Post
    At the Libertarian party website, they sell these "World's Smallest Political Quiz" door hangers for 5 cents apiece:
    https://lpstore.org/product/door-hanger-quiz/

On the surface, this seems like a pretty ideal way to advertise your cause. I can't think of a cheaper way to get a message in front of someone's face. All you need is the money to print up literature materials and the willingness to do the legwork of distributing them. You have lots of control over how much information is presented. One dedicated person can reach thousands of households, given enough time. As far as I know, in most parts of the country it's perfectly legal to distribute political literature.

I read a book recently called Get Out the Vote. The authors use statistical analysis to gauge the cost-effectiveness of different get-out-the-vote tactics.
    https://www.amazon.com/Get-Out-Vote-...t+out+the+vote

The results aren't too surprising - on a dollar-per-vote basis, personal contact is king. Door-to-door canvassing works best, followed by phone calls, preferably by the candidate himself.

Leafleting - the general act of leaving literature at people's households - doesn't score highly. The effect is not significantly greater than zero. This is actually comparable to other impersonal methods, such as TV, radio, and mail.

However, the book takes a very short-term approach to the question - what tactic is most cost-effective for encouraging a potential voter to vote a certain way in an upcoming election? I'm wondering if impersonal techniques like leafleting might serve the more long-term purpose of raising awareness for your cause, if they're done consistently.

Obviously, no single leaflet or TV ad is likely to change a person's entire system of beliefs. At some point, the person needs to take the initiative to learn more about your philosophy before they can come over to your side. But before they can even consider coming over to your side, they have to know you exist.

In that regard, I wonder if leafleting can be just as effective as other impersonal tactics, like TV and radio ads. If you're short on cash, can this be a good, cheap way of increasing recognition of your candidate/cause? Does it lend the same air of legitimacy that an expensive TV ad does? Imagine if, every year for ten years, liberty-themed literature like this were left on the door of every household in your neighborhood. Maybe it could have information on local activist groups, if any exist. Over time, would it help raise awareness of what a libertarian is? If you're already a liberty-lover, would you be encouraged by this? Or would everyone just get annoyed by the extra junk mail being left at their door?
    Personally, I'm not a fan of any of the political parties and would be more likely to canvass for a candidate (Ron Paul) than a party. The only way I could see the door hangers being effective is if they came with an invitation to a mixer. For example, if I got one of those on my door with an invite to a little get to know you party. I would probably go.

I imagine stuff like this would be more effective - especially if you left a website for more information and it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I completely agree that a libertarian tip would leave a bigger impression on me than a door hanger. I think it's also really important to make some kind of concerted political effort though. It's an important part of the education process. I probably wouldn't be a libertarian today if Ron Paul hadn't decided to run for president as a Republican.

I don't know if libertarians of different stripes could ever unite around the Libertarian party; I'm not crazy about it myself. But it would probably help if they could unite around something that lasts longer than a single election. Ron Paul seems to be the closest thing we've had to that. With so much work left to do, we have no choice but to play the long game.

So I'm always wondering if it would make a positive difference over time if we could reach out to a large section of the American populace with a consistent message on a consistent basis. Given that libertarian groups and candidates are typically strapped for cash, I'm curious if there are ways it could be done cost-effectively.

I completely agree that a libertarian tip would leave a bigger impression on me than a door hanger. I think it's also really important to make some kind of concerted political effort though. It's an important part of the education process. I probably wouldn't be a libertarian today if Ron Paul hadn't decided to run for president as a Republican.
    Fair enough. Find someone you like and request a campaign evaluation here. Generate enough excitement and you may be able to get your guy or gal money bombed.

I don't know if libertarians of different stripes could ever unite around the Libertarian party;
    Reminds me of this cartoon. And, btw, I doubt it. Especially if they keep putting up Johnsons.

I'm not crazy about it myself. But it would probably help if they could unite around something that lasts longer than a single election. Ron Paul seems to be the closest thing we've had to that. With so much work left to do, we have no choice but to play the long game.

So I'm always wondering if it would make a positive difference over time if we could reach out to a large section of the American populace with a consistent message on a consistent basis.
    Personally, I think liberty oriented news would do a better job reaching large numbers of people than a pamphlet or politician.

Given that libertarian groups and candidates are typically strapped for cash, I'm curious if there are ways it could be done cost-effectively.
    Well, sharing links to liberty oriented news is certainly one cost effective way to help. There are lots of them out there - RPI, Mises, Tom Woods, Antiwar, and on and on...
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

At the end of the day, word of mouth is probably the best that any single person can do. I'm always hoping for a magic bullet. Personally, I might get a buzz out of seeing an ad on my door, if only because it's an improvement over the zilch that I usually see.

At the end of the day, word of mouth is probably the best that any single person can do. I'm always hoping for a magic bullet. Personally, I might get a buzz out of seeing an ad on my door, if only because it's an improvement over the zilch that I usually see.
    There is no magic bullet because what works for one person doesn't work for another.

I wasn't trying to shoot down your idea, btw. I was just giving my opinion and we all know what those are like. If you like leaflets, go for it. Design one and post it, I'd love to see it.