Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump Ends Covert Obama-era CIA Program Which Sent Arms To Jihadists

Thumbs up Trump Ends Covert Obama-era CIA Program Which Sent Arms To Jihadists

In what may be one of the most significant foreign policy decisions of his first year in office, Trump is shutting down the CIA's covert program to arm rebels fighting the Syrian government. This would constitute a monumental shift in terms of US priorities in Syria which throughout most of the 6-year long war have focused on removing Bashar al-Assad. The Washington Post reports:
    Officials said Trump made the decision to scrap the CIA program nearly a month ago, after an Oval Office meeting with CIA Director Mike Pompeo and national security adviser H.R. McMaster ahead of a July 7 meeting in Germany with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
    The move is consistent with signals coming out of the White House over the past months, as well as in keeping with Trump's early campaign promises that he would seek to wind down the war in Syria by making ISIS the only objective, and not the removal of Assad. There have been additional hints at willingness to work closer with Russia in a strategic anti-terror partnership in Syria. Secretary of State Tillerson's said in an April interview with ABC News, as well several weeks ago, that Assad's fate would be up for the Syrian people to decide, adding that:
    In that regard, we are hopeful that we can work with Russia and use their influence to achieve areas of stabilization throughout Syria and create the conditions for a political process through Geneva in which we can engage all of the parties on the way forward, and it is through that political process that we believe the Syrian people will lawfully be able to decide the fate of Bashar al-Assad.

Image via Syrian opposition social media/ The Blaze

Tillerson has made similar remarks throughout the summer. But there were at times contradictory statements being issued from other areas of the administration, especially the State Department and ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley, who often continued to reiterate the "Assad must go" line - a policy put in place when Obama first uttered those words all the way back in summer of 2011. The divergent statements left pundits confused as to what America's future role in Syria would look like. The Trump administration has from the start faced an uphill battle against hawks and neocons in D.C. regarding Syria, who are already accusing the president of appeasing Assad and "falling into the Russia trap."

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...-arms-jihadist

Now we need to see him bring the boys back home.
    This is good but it is not yet enough.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Establishment plant. Oh wait...

He's ending a program. That's nice. **ratlines giggling**

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    He's ending a program. That's nice. **ratlines giggling**
    The secret word here is: covert. We will never really know about ending operations we never really knew about.
    There is no spoon.

Read the WAPO POS. Not one word about weapons ending up with terrorists. They just wanted to make it about Russia. The news, its so fake.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    To be fair, this still does not prove conclusively that Obama was founding father of ISIS. But news like this is going to once again stir up "Obama is a secret muslim" rumors.
    He is.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Russia Russia Russia...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just like that. Mercs to the rear march! Turn in your camos. Severance pay? Meals on wheels?

FSA faction within SDF kicked out of Raqqa operation on US orders

BEIRUT, LEBANON (10:30 P.M.) – The Quwwat al-Nukhba sub-group of the Free Syrian Army (FSA),
    which fights within the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF),
    has been dismissed from any and all front-line duties in the ongoing Raqqa operation.

About one week ago, word came out that the FSA-linked group was to give up its positions within Raqqa city
    and retreat to the SDF’s rear areas outside the urban center.
    Not long after this but, contradictory reports then came in suggesting that a compromise was reached
    whereby the Arab faction could retain its positions within the city – this was supported by some photo evidence.

However, according to the latest reports, Quwwat al-Nukhba has officially withdrawn from all of its front-line positions within Raqqa city
    and handed them over to the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG).

Information on why the Arab militia has been booted out of the operation remains officially unclear.
    Nonetheless, some sources suggest that the group showed repeated incompetence during Raqqa battle,
    advancing quickly within the city but then withdrawing from all gains,
    abandoning them to ISIS, almost as soon as they were taken.

In any case, the United States – who has overall command of the SDF –
    represents the party that gave the order for the Arab FSA-linked faction to withdraw
    (perhaps at the behest of Kurdish recommendations).

This now means that the battle to capture Raqqa from ISIS has become an almost exclusively Kurdish operation.

AL TANF (Jordan border)

White House will now phase out the secret program, a move which is likely to have grave implications for US-vetted Free Syrian Army (FSA) factions based in southern Syria around the Al-Tanf border crossing.

Once this sudden change of policy is fully implemented, Al-Masdar News expects the US Army will evacuate its troops from the Al-Tanf military base and fly them to Kurdish-held territory in Hasakah, thereby leaving rebel forces in southern Syria to fend for themselves against the SAA.

so long.. and thanks for the fish.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 07-20-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Russia Russia Russia...
    Although the CIA declined to comment, US officials told the Washington Post
    that
    Trump decided to scrap the CIA program nearly a month ago ahead of a meeting on July 7 with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“It’s probably a nod to reality,” said Ilan Goldenberg,
    a former Obama administration official and director of the Middle East Security Program at the Center for a New American Security.

====

McCain's tweet from 2011:

John McCain
    Qaddafi on his way out, Bashar al Assad is next.

Bonus Bulletin (can someone retweet this to McCain? thnx)

Russia says in talks with U.S. to create cyber security working group: RIA
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKBN1A5188
    Last edited by goldenequity; 07-20-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    To be fair, this still does not prove conclusively that Obama was founding father of ISIS. But news like this is going to once again stir up "Obama is a secret muslim" rumors.

Related

Poll: "Forget fake news — alt-right memes could do more damage to democracy"
    Islamic State was founded in 2006. Obama became President in 2009. Fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    He was a Senator in 2006 like McPain.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He was a Senator in 2006 like McPain.
    ISIS is a spin-off of Al Qaeda which was formed by the US gov in the 1980s- which would have put Obama in his early 20s. I think Reagan's more applicable.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...onnection.html
    There is no spoon.

Good thing the covert program is now over.

Guess they won't do that again.

Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    ISIS is a spin-off of Al Qaeda which was formed by the US gov in the 1980s- which would have put Obama in his early 20s. I think Reagan's more applicable.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...onnection.html
    I remember when we blamed Bush for creating ISIS. Are you sure its not Bush's fault?

You know how I know this is bull$#@!? Because they printed an article about an illegal covert CIA operation. You think the MSM would just confirm that the US has been covertly and illegally arming jihadists in Syria??

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Hardly, rat. The real Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant or ISIL (later ISIS) was declared by Baghdadi in 2013. It was nothing but a namesake in 2006.

You are the fake news.
    I remember when we blamed Bush for creating ISIS. Are you sure its not Bush's fault?
    It is Bush's fault too. Bush and Obama are the exact same foreign policy. Nothing changed between them. So let's stop with the silly games acting like either president was different from the other.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    It is Bush's fault too. Bush and Obama are the exact same foreign policy. Nothing changed between them. So let's stop with the silly games acting like either president was different from the other.
    They would of had no power to do so without congress authorizing money to pay for this. The congress even thinks that voting for military spending is authorization for all of our secret wars, besides maybe one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I thought everything was Bush's fault until it became more convenient to blame Obama.
    There is no spoon.

which one is it in the middle east ?

1) the enemy of my enemy is my friend
    2) the enemy of my enemy is my enemy
    3) the enemy of my friend is my friend
    4) the enemy of my friend is my enemy
    5) the friend of my friend is my friend
    6) the friend of my friend is my enemy

i could go on but everyone gets the point , it is all the above in the middle east .

get the hell out of the middle east
    Last edited by ILUVRP; 07-21-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVRP View Post
    get the hell out of the middle east
    this would require us admitting failure, something we are not very good at

In my opinion, there are some good things happening that are underreported in the news. Stuff like this is happening. I think Trump is happy to have the media distrated by stupid stuff because he can move forward getting us out of problematic operations.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I thought everything was Bush's fault until it became more convenient to blame Obama.
    Now it is Trump's turn.

This is a good thing.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This is a good thing.
    Well, it's a good headline anyway. I have my doubts that anything will actually change except actors and organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Well, it's a good headline anyway. I have my doubts that anything will actually change except actors and organizations.
    True dat.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I am pretty sure we still are arming some groups just not a certain group. So its kind of like one of those shell scams. They are done fighting Iran proxies with proxies, they have full control of the military now and people are officially afraid of Russia, the fear mongering worked. In 2011 when Ron Paul said Iran wasn't a threat and that Russia wasn't a threat it was popular consensus, now everyone is believing the Mitt Romney groupthink because they fell for fake news because we a have a president who is the king of fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I am pretty sure we still are arming some groups just not a certain group. So its kind of like one of those shell scams. They are done fighting Iran proxies with proxies, they have full control of the military now and people are officially afraid of Russia, the fear mongering worked. In 2011 when Ron Paul said Iran wasn't a threat and that Russia wasn't a threat it was popular consensus, now everyone is believing the Mitt Romney groupthink because they fell for fake news because we a have a president who is the king of fake news.
    Horror vacui - Nature abhors a vacuum. We must make sure the region does not go under Russian influence. Or Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Horror vacui - Nature abhors a vacuum. We must make sure the region does not go under Russian influence. Or Chinese.
    Or Iranian, apparently.
    There is no spoon.

Tulsi:
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast