Thread: Cuba: Economy Minister Announces Worsening Financial Crisis

Cuba: Economy Minister Announces Worsening Financial Crisis

Cuban Economy Minister Ricardo Cabrisas announced to a closed-door session of the National Assembly on July 14 that a $400 million shortfall in export revenues is one of many signs of a worsening financial crisis, Reuters reported. In the report, broadcast by state-run television July 17, Cabrisas said the country is having difficulty obtaining trade credits because of late payments to suppliers.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...nancial-crisis
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A cash crunch and lower oil supplies from political ally Venezuela forced the Caribbean island to slash imports and reduce the use of fuel and electricity last year, helping tip its centrally planned economy into recession for the first time in nearly a quarter century.
    Not many countries can make that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Communism put your economy in the dirt, it is hard to fall below dirt level.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Communism put your economy in the dirt, it is hard to fall below dirt level.
    The US isn't communist.

The US isn't communist.
    I am talking about the Cuban economy you seem to like so much

A cash crunch and lower oil supplies from political ally Venezuela forced the Caribbean island to slash imports and reduce the use of fuel and electricity last year, helping tip its centrally planned economy into recession for the first time in nearly a quarter century.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I am talking about the Cuban economy you seem to like so much
    Cuba has been exploited by both capitalists and communists. When they kicked out the capitalists, the Communists were happy to step in. When the Russians left, they have had to do things on their own.

Cuba has been exploited by both capitalists and communists. When they kicked out the capitalists, the Communists were happy to step in. When the Russians left, they have had to do things on their own.
    And when the communists took over their economy tanked and never recovered, the fact that they didn't have a recession in nearly a quarter century is caused by the fact that they had nearly nothing to lose, they are now beginning to lose even that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They are highly educated with more doctors per capita than any place else. They have a longer life span than the US. They don't make much money but everything is very cheap for them (government subsidies).

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ... more doctors per capita than any place else.
    Then why did Castro have a surgeon flown in from Spain when he was sick? What do Cuban doctors make--20 dollars a week?

They have a longer life span than the US.
    Not according to this 2015 source:

Cuba 79.38
    U.S. 79.68
    https://www.infoplease.com/world/hea...cy-countries-0

They don't make much money but everything is very cheap for them (government subsidies).
    It's cheap as in junky, at least from what I've seen.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 07-20-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

They are highly educated with more doctors per capita than any place else. They have a longer life span than the US. They don't make much money but everything is very cheap for them (government subsidies).
    Wow - no wonder they want to ban travel to Cuba! Sounds like a dream. The roads must be paved with gold, and the gutters flow with milk and honey! <eye_roll>

I think your remarks are disingenuous - conveniently ignoring the source of your data.

Where are these doctors educated?
    What constitutes "highly educated"?
    What medical breakthroughs have come from Cuba lately?
    Where do the life expectancy numbers come from?
    If they economy is so good there, why are they driving pre-embargo vehicles still? Its actually a marvel that most of these cars are still in service...

I dont mean to call you out personally, but I have trouble believing that you really believe what you are posting... Perhaps Cuba is an economic success by communist standards, but they really dont amount to sh!t by any other standard. Not to say that the US and capitalism dont have flaws, but is Cuba really your model society? Cigars, rum, and plenty of well educated doctors to consume them.

Some healthy lookin mf'ers... and those roads!

Last edited by brushfire; 07-20-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Then why did Castro have a surgeon flown in from Spain when he was sick? What do Cuban doctors make--20 dollars a week?

Cuba 79.38
    U.S. 79.68

Lets see him make the first trip in 80.1 million from Miami to Havana and back by dinghy and see how it goes.

Really?!! Usually I like your contrarian posts. This has to be pure trolling.

Cubans have a longer lifespan in the same way animals in a zoo live longer than in the wild. You don't get an option to live in Cuba. You are a slave. You can't create and produce. I would choose to cut 40 years off my life and live in the US vs be relegated to a lifetime in Communist Cuba. And using lifespan is always a terrible way to look at things. Obesity is a bigger problem in the US than starvation. Obesity shortens lifespan just like a higher murder rate and more people fighting in wars. I can promise you health care is much better in the US.

A doctor in Cuba makes $67 a month according to the AP. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03...-67-month.html Think about that. A doctor makes less than $1000 a year. A person on welfare in the United States would be the top wage earner of anyone not working directly in government in the entire country.

An actual Cuban doctor who fled says he made $18 a month. http://www.therealcuba.com/?p=1185

There is nothing good to say about Cuba. You can't read what you want in Cuba. You can't leave. You live a pointless life in Cuba. You live the life of a cow. If you are "lucky" you will get treated as a milk cow. If you get out line (like wanting to own your labor), you will be treated as a beef cow.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 07-20-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Really?!! Usually I like your contrarian posts. This has to be pure trolling.

Cubans have a longer lifespan in the same way animals in a zoo live longer than in the wild. You don't get an option to live in Cuba. You are a slave. You can't create and produce. I would choose to cut 40 years off my life and live in the US vs be relegated to a lifetime in Communist Cuba. And using lifespan is always a terrible way to look at things. Obesity is a bigger problem in the US than starvation. Obesity shortens lifespan just like a higher murder rate and more people fighting in wars. I can promise you health care is much better in the US.

A doctor in Cuba makes $67 a month according to the AP. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03...-67-month.html Think about that. A doctor makes less than $1000 a year. A person on welfare in the United States would be the top wage earner of anyone not working directly in government in the entire country.

An actual Cuban doctor who fled says he made $18 a month. http://www.therealcuba.com/?p=1185

There is nothing good to say about Cuba. You can't read what you want in Cuba. You can't leave. You live a pointless life in Cuba. You live the life of a cow. If you are "lucky" you will get treated as a milk cow. If you get out line (like wanting to own your labor), you will be treated as a beef cow.
    same thing happens in America. We're not allowed to own our own labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    same thing happens in America. We're not allowed to own our own labor.
    No. Actually the United States is nothing like Cuba. Having taxation is not remotely the same thing as getting paid $20 a month by the government (which is the average monthly wage of someone in Cuba who doesn't get tips.)

Cuba 79.38
    U.S. 79.68

I used these guys as a source: https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...RI&hl=en&dl=en

US: 78.74
    Cuba: 79.55

The US isn't communist.
    Seriously? When the $#@! was the last time you opened your front door? Do you even live in the USA?
    Last edited by DamianTV; 07-20-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Seriously? When the $#@! was the last time you opened your front door?
    We are closer to fascist.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Oh dear - how were they exploited by those greedy capitalists? I can hardly wait.

Cuba is a 3rd world $#@!hole. The only way they get by is by countries propping them up. The Soviets or Russians or whatever the $#@! gave up on them. Venezuela was aiding them for awhile but they have their own problems. They're trying to open up things now like the Chicoms.

The only reason they have a $#@!load of doctors is because they're trying to make a point about socialized medicine. They can't get equipment. What they do get is substandard.

People can go in and out of the country now but it's not like a lot of people can even afford to leave. It's that bad, the wages.

The mechanics sit around all day and work on a couple of cars to try to get them running. That's if they can get the parts. Which have to come from other pieces of $#@!. A train might be screwed up for a day or more. They have to get a mechanic to fix that.

On the plus side, the people are literate, but they can't do much with it. Lots of people are simple are they learn to get by. They're fatalistic that way. They will smile a lot and take things in stride. They smile even though their whole day was $#@!. Some are more family oriented, but urbanization has taken a lot of that way. A lot of the girls are cute and very sexy.
    Last edited by inthehall; 07-20-2017 at 07:18 PM.

With McCain absent and all other 99 senators voting, McConnell can only afford to lose one GOP senator.

kennedy died and the dems managed tu get it thru

Cuba 79.38
    U.S. 79.68

NCL, how dare you attack Zippy with mere facts.

Maybe you would be more convincing if you put your "facts" in a spreadsheet or a bar graph with colored jagged lines and arrows.

A graph like this would convince people more than confusing facts.

Quote Originally Posted by inthehall View Post
    Cuba is a 3rd world $#@!hole. The only way they get by is by countries propping them up. The Soviets or Russians or whatever the $#@! gave up on them. Venezuela was aiding them for awhile but they have their own problems. They're trying to open up things now like the Chicoms.

The only reason they have a $#@!load of doctors is because they're trying to make a point about socialized medicine. They can't get equipment. What they do get is substandard.

People can go in and out of the country now but it's not like a lot of people can even afford to leave. It's that bad, the wages.

The mechanics sit around all day and work on a couple of cars to try to get them running. That's if they can get the parts. Which have to come from other pieces of $#@!. A train might be screwed up for a day or more. They have to get a mechanic to fix that.

On the plus side, the people are literate, but they can't do much with it. Lots of people are simple are they learn to get by. They're fatalistic that way. They will smile a lot and take things in stride. They smile even though their whole day was $#@!. Some are more family oriented, but urbanization has taken a lot of that way. A lot of the girls are cute and very sexy.
    They send many of their medical staff abroad to raise money for the Cuban economy. The staff goes to third world countries where they are for the most part more competent than the local medical staff. But the Cubans are still not nearly as highly trained as first world medical professionals.
    Last edited by agitator; 07-20-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    No. Actually the United States is nothing like Cuba. Having taxation is not remotely the same thing as getting paid $20 a month by the government (which is the average monthly wage of someone in Cuba who doesn't get tips.)
    If we the people decide we own our own labor then we will get thrown in jail eventually. I know its not the same thing as cuba.. just a kindler gentler version.

LibForestPaul

And when the communists took over their economy tanked and never recovered, the fact that they didn't have a recession in nearly a quarter century is caused by the fact that they had nearly nothing to lose, they are now beginning to lose even that.
    Yeah, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, their all doing awesome.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.