Thread: Full Repeal of Obamacare to get vote in Senate

Full Repeal of Obamacare to get vote in Senate

Senate To Vote On Repeal Of Obamacare
    July 18, 2017

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) made the following remarks on the Senate floor today regarding the Senate Republican effort to repeal Obamacare:

“One of the Senate’s very first acts this Congress was to pass the legislative tools necessary to repeal Obamacare. We did so because the American people, who had suffered for years under the failures of Obamacare, were calling out for relief. Everyone knows about Obamacare’s skyrocketing costs and its plummeting choices.

“Too often, however, this discussion seems to veer into the abstract. These are not just numbers on a page. These are the lives of real people. These are the men and women we represent, Americans who are hurting, middle-class families who deserve better than Obamacare’s failures. We worked hard to provide them with a better way. We did so in the knowledge that this task would not be easy. We understood that it would not come quickly. But we knew that it was the right thing to do, so we pushed forward anyway.

“I believe we must continue to push forward now. I regret that the effort to repeal and immediately replace the failures of Obamacare will not be successful. That doesn’t mean we should give up. We will now try a different way to bring the American people relief from Obamacare — I think we owe them at least that much. In the coming days, the Senate will take up and vote on a repeal of Obamacare combined with a stable, two-year transition period as we work toward patient-centered health care. A majority of the Senate voted to pass the same repeal legislation in 2015. President Obama vetoed it then. President Trump will sign it now.

“I imagine many Democrats were celebrating last night. I hope they consider what they were celebrating. The American people are hurting, they need relief, and it’s regretful that our Democratic colleagues decided early on that they did not want to engage with us seriously in the process to deliver that relief. But this doesn’t have to be the end of the story.

“Passing the repeal legislation will allow us to accomplish what we need to do on behalf of our people. Our Democratic friends have spoken a lot recently about wanting bipartisan solutions. Passing this legislation will provide the opportunity for Senators of all parties to engage, with a fresh start, with a new beginning for the American people.”
    http://www.mcconnell.senate.gov/publ...C-1DD47A00ABF1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE_DBMhXoAU2gwx.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	5790

https://twitter.com/SenateMajLdr/sta...12292110635009
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow. If this happens, things will suddenly get interesting.

wont happen
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

‘Plan C’ on Obamacare, Repeal Now and Replace Later, Has Collapsed

WASHINGTON — With their bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act in tatters, Senate leaders on Tuesday pushed to vote on a different measure that would repeal major parts of President Barack Obama’s health law without a replacement — but that plan appeared also to collapse.

Senators Susan Collins of Maine, Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, all Republicans, immediately declared they could not vote to repeal the Affordable Care Act without a replacement — enough to doom the effort before it could get any momentum.

“I did not come to Washington to hurt people,” Ms. Capito said in a statement. “I cannot vote to repeal Obamacare without a replacement plan that addresses my concerns and the needs of West Virginians.”

Senator Rob Portman of Ohio hinted strongly that he too would oppose it.
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

Good. Obamacare will continue to implode and the Democrats OWN it.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

This is better than the republicans version Obamacare lite.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    wont happen
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/18/the-g...-stalling.html

Dead On Arrival.

GOP's Obamacare repeal-only push quickly collapses

Three GOP senators already say they will not support an Obamacare repeal without an immediate replacement.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell aimed to pass a repeal-only bill after the latest replacement plan failed on Monday night.

Republicans' new push to repeal Obamacare without implementing an immediate replacement has already appeared to stall as three GOP senators said they would not vote for it to move forward, for now.

After the collapse Monday night of the latest GOP plan to replace Obamacare, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he aimed to pass a bill to repeal the law and then pass a replacement during a "stable two-year transition period." The GOP-controlled Congress voted to do so in 2015 knowing that then-President Barack Obama would veto the bill.

Within hours of when he started that push, members of his caucus said they could not back the repeal-first goal. Sens. Susan Collins, R-Maine, Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.V., and Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said they would not support a repeal bill without a replacement.

Republicans hold 52 seats in the Senate, and passing a plan under budget reconciliation rules requires 50 votes, with Vice President Mike Pence breaking a tie. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is away from the Senate recovering from surgery, so losing two votes or more will stall a Republican plan, for now.

Still, McConnell insisted Tuesday that he wants to vote on a repeal-only bill in the "near future."

At the very least, it puts the GOP "no" votes on record. On the other hand, the pressure of a real vote may bring in the few holdouts like Murkowski.

It's ridiculous to not have a vote because some Senators announce how they (probably) will vote beforehand.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    At the very least, it puts the GOP "no" votes on record. On the other hand, the pressure of a real vote may bring in the few holdouts like Murkowski.

It's ridiculous to not have a vote because some Senators announce how they (probably) will vote beforehand.
    I agree. Have a vote. Get it on record. But, they won't. They don't want that record.

Latest Polls (July 14th): http://www.kff.org/health-reform/pol...-plan-efforts/

Seven in ten (71 percent) Americans would rather see Republicans in Congress work with Democrats to make improvements to the ACA but not repeal the law, while one-fourth (23 percent) say they would rather Republicans continue working on their own plan to repeal and replace the ACA. Large shares of Democrats (91 percent) and independents (72 percent) would like to see Republicans in Congress work across the aisle to make improvements to the ACA. Trump supporters are divided with similar shares saying Republicans in Congress should continue working on their own plan (47 percent) as saying they want them to work with Democrats on improving the ACA (46 percent). Slightly more than half of Republicans (54 percent) want Congressional Republicans to continue working on their own plan to repeal and replace the 2010 health care law.
    Maybe that is why not a vote on clean repeal.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-18-2017 at 01:31 PM.

I love divided government
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I love divided government
    One reason for slow government spending growth under Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I agree. Have a vote. Get it on record. But, they won't. They don't want that record.
    Yes this... the worthless $#!*s turn in their spines upon taking office.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Yes this... the worthless $#!*s turn in their spines upon taking office.
    Can't risk offending any potential voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Can't risk offending any potential voters.
    Yup.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Zippyjuan again.

Looks like the usual spineless duds , Collins & Murkowski .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

I want to see a list of no votes that can be used for future elections .
    Do something Danke

Latest Polls (July 14th): http://www.kff.org/health-reform/pol...-plan-efforts/

Maybe that is why not a vote on clean repeal.
    Of course, according to the polls, sHe won by a landslide. In reality, he won on a platform that included a repeal.

When the thing passed, polls indicated 65% of us were against it. Of the 35%, 30% were satisfied with their health care. They were just worried that someone else might not be getting enough free stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Of course, according to the polls, sHe won by a landslide. In reality, he won on a platform that included a repeal.

When the thing passed, polls indicated 65% of us were against it. Of the 35%, 30% were satisfied with their health care. They were just worried that someone else might not be getting enough free stuff.
    Yet he hasn't pushed for repeal since the election- but repeal and replace- updating what is already there. (actually he started pushing "repeal and replace" during the campaign over a year ago).

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-prom...s-ab9500dad31e

“So, just to sum up, I would do various things very quickly. I would repeal and replace the big lie, Obamacare.” [New York, NY, 6/15/15]

“We have to repeal Obamacare, and it can be — and — and it can be replaced with something much better for everybody. Let it be for everybody. But much better and much less expensive for people and for the government. And we can do it.” [New York, NY, 6/15/15]

Repeal and replace with something terrific…Other than that, it’s private. You will get great plans, you will have great competition, everything else. Now, at the lower end, where people have no money, I want to try and help those people. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. But I want to try and help those people, so they can also can — now, it’s not going to be like a good plan. It’s not going to be like the finest plan that somebody that’s made some money or has a good living can do.” [CNN, 7/29/15]

“We get rid of Obamacare and we have a great life all together.” [GOP debate, Los Angeles, CA, 9/16/15]

“We’re going to end, terminate, repeal Obamacare and replace it with something really, really great that works. That works.” [New Hampshire, 9/17/15]

“We are going to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something much better, much better much better.” [Waterloo, IA, 10/7/15]

“We’re gonna repeal Obamacare.” [Las Vegas, NV, 10/8/15]

“We are going to repeal and replace Obamacare which is a disaster.” [Norcross, GA, 10/10/15]

“We’re going to terminate Obamacare. We’re going to terminate it, it’s going to be terminated, it’s going to be replaced with something much better and something much less expensive for you and for the country.” [Burlington, IA, 10/21/15]
    Total of 68 references at link.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-18-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Alexander and Corker better support it, I can tell you that. I'm ready to start saving up to give to any liberty candidate who will run against Corker.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Yet he hasn't pushed for repeal since the election- but repeal and replace- updating what is already there. (actually he started pushing "repeal and replace" during the campaign).

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-prom...s-ab9500dad31e

Total of 68 references at link.
    I should neg you for quoting ThinkProg.

I can show you an equal number of cites promising a repeal. If you think any of his voters want it replaced, you're delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I should neg you for quoting ThinkProg.

I can show you an equal number of cites promising a repeal. If you think any of his voters want it replaced, you're delusional.
    I left off their words and only included Trump's.

Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8039ec57befc

Campaign website, August 2016: “One of my first acts as President will be to repeal and replace disastrous Obamacare, saving another 2 million American jobs.”

Rally in Ohio, September 2016: “On my first day I’m going to ask Congress to immediately send me a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare.”

Rally in Florida, October 2016: “Together we’re going to deliver real change that once again puts Americans first. That begins with immediately repealing and replacing the disaster known as Obamacare. My first day in office, I am going to ask Congress to put a bill on my desk getting rid of this disastrous law and replacing it with reforms that expand choice, freedom, affordability.”

He also said: “It’s going to be so easy.”

Rally in Pennsylvania, November 2016: “When we win on November 8th and elect a Republican Congress, we will be able to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare. I will ask Congress to convene a special session.”
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-18-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Within hours of when he started that push, members of his caucus said they could not back the repeal-first goal. Sens. Susan Collins, R-Maine, Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.V., and Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said they would not support a repeal bill without a replacement.
    $#@!ing worthless...all three voted for repeal in 2015 IIRC.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-18-2017 at 03:58 PM.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.e8d9569b7d86

Nobody has so far seen this amazing plan- even six months later. This is from the week prior to his inauguration.

Trump vows ‘insurance for everybody’ in Obamacare replacement plan

President-elect Donald Trump said in a weekend interview that he is nearing completion of a plan to replace President Obama’s signature health-care law with the goal of “insurance for everybody,” while also vowing to force drug companies to negotiate directly with the government on prices in Medicare and Medicaid.

Trump declined to reveal specifics in the telephone interview late Saturday with The Washington Post, but any proposals from the incoming president would almost certainly dominate the Republican effort to overhaul federal health policy as he prepares to work with his party’s congressional majorities.

Trump’s plan is likely to face questions from the right, after years of GOP opposition to further expansion of government involvement in the health-care system, and from those on the left, who see his ideas as disruptive to changes brought by the Affordable Care Act that have extended coverage to tens of millions of Americans.

In addition to his replacement plan for the ACA, also known as Obamacare, Trump said he will target pharmaceutical companies over drug prices.

“They’re politically protected, but not anymore,” he said of pharmaceutical companies.

The objectives of broadening access to insurance and lowering health-care costs have always been in conflict, and it remains unclear how the plan that the incoming administration is designing — or ones that will emerge on Capitol Hill — would address that tension.

In general, congressional GOP plans to replace Obamacare have tended to try to constrain costs by reducing government requirements, such as the medical services that must be provided under health plans sold through the law’s marketplaces and through states’ Medicaid programs. House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) and other Republicans have been talking lately about providing “universal access” to health insurance, instead of universal insurance coverage.

Trump said he expects Republicans in Congress to move quickly and in unison in the coming weeks on other priorities as well, including enacting sweeping tax cuts and beginning the building of a wall along the Mexican border.

Trump warned Republicans that if the party splinters or slows his agenda, he is ready to use the power of the presidency — and Twitter — to usher his legislation to passage.

“The Congress can’t get cold feet because the people will not let that happen,” Trump said during the interview with The Post.

Trump said his plan for replacing most aspects of Obama’s health-care law is all but finished. Although he was coy about its details — “lower numbers, much lower deductibles” — he said he is ready to unveil it alongside Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

It’s very much formulated down to the final strokes. We haven’t put it in quite yet but we’re going to be doing it soon,” Trump said. He noted that he is waiting for his nominee for secretary of health and human services, Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), to be confirmed. That decision rests with the Senate Finance Committee, which hasn’t scheduled a hearing.

Trump’s declaration that his replacement plan is ready comes after many Republicans — moderates and conservatives — expressed anxiety last week about the party’s lack of a formal proposal as they held votes on repealing the law. Once his plan is made public, Trump said, he is confident that it could get enough votes to pass in both chambers.
    As he has developed a replacement package, Trump said he has paid attention to critics who say that repealing Obamacare would put coverage at risk for more than 20 million Americans covered under the law’s insurance exchanges and Medicaid expansion.

We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” Trump said. “There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us. People covered under the law “can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better.”
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-18-2017 at 04:27 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Portman is one of the biggest phonies in the Senate. I hope he does what comes natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    $#@!ing worthless...all three voted for repeal in 2015 IIRC.
    Those were campaign votes. Murkowski shouldn't even been in the Senate after what she pulled with Joe Miller.

I love Portman. He's already posturing. Do it. Please!!!

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ble/487802001/

Rand is getting the vote he has advocated since the beginning...

Indeed, there is nothing that will help except removing impediments to liberty. Deregulation of the free market is the only thing that will offer real, affordable choices to consumers.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi