Thread: Illness linked to marijuana use on the rise in Colorado

Illness linked to marijuana use on the rise in Colorado

http://www.9news.com/news/health/ill...rado/381361969

But worth noting that it usually only occurs in heavy, daily users. Heavy vomiting can lead to severe dehydration which can lead to kidney failure in extreme cases.

Doctors say chronic marijuana use may be linked to an illness known as CHS, or Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome. In recent years, the number of known cases doubled in Colorado.

Experts say CHS is caused by chronic or heavy use of marijuana, which means ingesting or smoking marijuana at least once a day.

The symptoms can be severe. Patients have reported intense, non-stop nausea and stomach pain that can sometimes last up to a month.

Dr. Kennon Heard, a physician with the University of Colorado Hospital, is one of several doctors studying the effects of CHS.

He and his team found that the number of hospital visits for CHS doubled since medical marijuana became prevalent. The study takes a closer look at more than 2,500 hospital visits. From 2008 to 2009, the study found there were 41 visits to emergency rooms for CHS. From 2010 to 2011, after what the study describes as the “post-liberalization” period for medical marijuana, the number jumped to 87 ER visits.

"We see them here on a daily to weekly basis," Dr. Heard said.

Dr. Heard says CHS is not a major health problem if you compare it side by side to the consequences of alcohol use. However, he adds that symptoms can be severe and can last for months.

"You can imagine ending up in the emergency department 3 to 5 times," Dr. Heard said.

Experts say, the number of people suffering from CHS is unclear because not everyone who has it goes to the hospital.

"The biggest problem we've seen with this disease is that until now, it's been unrecognized and therefore, these people are suffering longer than they need to."

Many marijuana users have asked why they are only now hearing about CHS. Dr. Heard says, while the illness may have been documented as early as 2004, the symptoms haven't always been recognized.

"If you asked me 10 years ago, I would say it didn't really exist," Dr. Heard said.

Dr. Heard says CHS is in many ways still a mystery. He still doesn't know the reason marijuana triggers symptoms like nausea and stomach pain. Only that there definitely seems to be a link.

"Nobody actually knows the reason this happens," Dr. Heard said. "This certainly is an area that needs more study."

Experts also say the number of people suffering from CHS can be hard to track because not everyone who has it visits the hospital.

People who have the illness have found ways to relieve the symptoms by taking hot showers and relaxing.

Peter Williams says he's experienced symptoms of CHS for at least four years. He's not sure what triggered the symptoms that sent him to the hospital numerous times.

"I got really sick and it was the most intense nausea I've ever felt in my life that had no relief," Williams said. "The only relief for me was taking scalding hot baths or showers to feel better for 15 minutes."

Williams said he stopped consuming marijuana but once he started again, the symptoms came back.

"I quit marijuana for two months and then I got sick again and I thought, it can't be the marijuana. But I don't think two months was long enough to get it out of my system," Williams said.

Williams, who just recovered from CHS, said he'll wait at least six months before trying to smoke again. He wants pot users to be cautious but not afraid of consuming marijuana.

"I see the benefits of marijuana everyday," Williams says.

Doctors say, people experiencing symptoms should visit a doctor immediately, adding that CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney problems if it goes unchecked.

Dr. Heard says the cure to CHS is simple: stop using marijuana. Patients in the hospital are also sometimes given medication to help with the nausea or stomach pains.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Meh, everyone is different. If correlation does equal causation in this case then it's probably come to light because of legalization and loss of stigma associated with it. Too much of just about anything is not healthy.

Since no one can patent a wild plant, pharmaceutical industries turn to their labs and chemistry to recreate nature.
    http://www.trueactivist.com/big-phar...illing-people/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Obvious troll thread is obvious.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Meh, everyone is different. If correlation does equal causation in this case then it's probably come to light because of legalization and loss of stigma associated with it. Too much of just about anything is not healthy.
    I posted about this last year, when DW had a patient with this. I agree, this is an argument in favor or legalization so people can seek proper treatment and not feel the need to hide their activities from their doctors.

I hope one day it will be legal in my state so I can try to smoke until I get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I hope one day it will be legal in my state so I can try to smoke until I get sick.
    ... or at least until my eyes bleed.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Medical Professionals are Still Skeptical on Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome

The proposals and theories put forth by researchers are compelling, but some medical professionals remain skeptical.

Authors of a 2006 review out of Australia criticize the original 2004 research that defined cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome for poor study design and for misattributing increases in cannabis use to liberalized laws.

“Cannabis has been consumed for many centuries and is currently used by millions of people in many countries,” the authors wrote. “It is hard to believe that a distinctive syndrome caused by cannabis has never been noted before by users or clinicians.”

I spoke to a doctor from Green Leaf Health Care here in Seattle, wondering what his take on the research was. He, too, showed a degree of skepticism and offered another possible explanation.

“I have an additional theory which is that cannabis grown with chemicals is affecting people in various ways, [and] this may be one of them,” he said. “I’ve traveled through India and Asia extensively and know heavy long-term users without ever having issues regarding hyperemesis. Perhaps long term use and concentrated levels could produce these issues in certain susceptible individuals; however, I feel like it’s more of a chemical issue.”

The fact of the matter is, we don’t have enough research to show if or why cannabis is the cause of these symptoms.
    https://www.leafly.com/news/health/w...mesis-syndrome
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

My money says it's something mandated by Colorado in the process, like trace amounts of insecticide or something.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    My money says it's something mandated by Colorado in the process, like trace amounts of insecticide or something.
    Ya I've never seen it or heard of it, I've known a LOT of daily tokers young and old.