Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kid Rock to run for Senate (MI)?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Can't possibly be worse than Debbie Stab Me Now.
    Yeah, I'm not concerned about this one particular race. But what DOES concern me is that there is a growing sense that people can cash in on their celebrity and turn it into political power.

Politicians suck, but it can get worse. When the people desire to be led by entertainers, they had better not be surprised where the entertainment leads them. I suppose you could argue that we've already turned this corner...
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yeah, I'm not concerned about this one particular race. But what DOES concern me is that there is a growing sense that people can cash in on their celebrity and turn it into political power.

Politicians suck, but it can get worse. When the people desire to be led by entertainers, they had better not be surprised where the entertainment leads them. I suppose you could argue that we've already turned this corner...
    Uh...... Reagan?
    There is no spoon.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Uh...... Reagan?
    So, Reagan was a military officer (albeit the film division), SAG president, and was very politically active for years prior to running for Governor. In other words, he wasn't merely cashing in on his celebrity. I can see the similarities, but I think it really began with Ventura and Franken in Minnesota.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Uh...... Reagan?
    And Cooter from The Dukes of Hazzard, aka Ben Jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

When the people desire to be led...
    And there is the problem.

I have no desire to be led anywhere, and certainly no desire to be led by a bunch of politicians.

What I want is to be represented.

In this case, Kid Rock comes much closer to representing me than the miserable harridans that currently represent my state in the District of Calamity.

But what DOES concern me is that there is a growing sense that people can cash in on their celebrity and turn it into political power.
    Seems like a better alternative than people accruing political power by agreeing to do favors for special interests.

I blame Reagan for starting the actors as politicians. Then again someone who makes a living telling a made up story with any emotion on their face that's required should be a natural fit for a politicians.

I'm not surprised about Jenner running for politics although I'm surprised it's not for POTUS. If anyone in the reality TV world has outdone Trump it's the Kardashians. We don't need people with ideals, or a history of working for a cause, or even a consistent message - it's all about name recognition and whomever can wrangle social media the best. Although the list of potential reality starts / entertainers is near limitless.

Duck Dynasty would be a natural fit for Trump diehards. Maybe they're too transparent as sellouts, only growing long beards and acting weird once they get a tv contract?
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Idiocracy is upon us.

And that's sad. But really, how much worse could it get?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Jeebus...

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Kid Rock For U.S. Senate

September 8 at 1:15pm ·

Senator Rand Paul making a whole lot of sense. You hardly ever see that in Washington!
    https://www.facebook.com/randpaul201...60957543975353

I'll remain skeptical. If MI want to take a bet on Kid Rock, by all means.

Saw a Kid Rock for Senate lawn sign today in the metro area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12