Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Prepper?

Are you a Prepper?

Prepping is simple insurance.

I like to prep for various eventualities that would require leaving my home for a safer location as well as ride out things in my home if need be.

One of my bigger concerns is the Palo Verde Nuclear Power Station, Luke Air Force Base, and other potential targets near me. Also I live in a desert with little to no accessible fresh water sources. I would have to drive several hours outside of the Phoenix area to find a place.

Now there are some scenarios that no one can prep for without serious investment, but other scenarios give people a chance:

Nuclear War - I live on the outskirts of a major city (Phoenix), but I am outside of any initial blast radius of even the biggest nukes. I'm also outside any fallout areas from potential surface detonations (https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
    I would recommend checking your area using the above link.

EMP - Were an EMP to be detonated pretty much anywhere over the continental US, the power grid and most electronics would become inoperable unless stored in a faraday cage of some sort. My truck would not work and I would likely be fighting to get out of the area with the masses.

Pandemic - If some sweeping virulent flu strain is killing millions, only luck and a little headstart could save you. If such a pandemic started in the third world and gave the US a decent warning as to the severity, people could flee major population centers in time.

Civil War - I live in a 'Red State' so I'm not particularly worried about this one currently; however, the democrats will eventually regain power and when they do, all bets are off. Progressives are becoming more violent. I would remind you all of the recent assassination attempt on the Republican Baseball team. Were he successful and killed a number of Republican Congressmen and Senators (including Rand Paul), we would likely already be in an open civil conflict.

Economic Collapse: Likely I would think. This scenario I would likely attempt to ride out in my home rather than "bug out".

I have the standard American family arsenal, couple pistols, couple long guns, a bolt rifle, shotgun, wheel gun, etc.

I have food storage for 2 months for a family of 4, which would be stretched out a great deal with other on-hand supplies and available resources. I also have large capacity water filtration for both my home and RV. It's slow and hand pump, but reliable and would last over a year. Simple boiling and chemical treatment of water after that.

I have two bugout bags prepped for 72 hours off-grid. Basically a little food, water, fire-making equip, clothing, currency, and basic shelter.

I have a large med kit (basically a paramedic bag from my days as an EMT).

I have an RV/Travel Trailer which is stocked and ready for bugout if needed. We have a place to go (bugout location) in the mountains where we will meet with my friends, plus alternate locations. It has 70 gallons fresh water, propane, and other stores. I can hook it up and be out of town in minutes.

That's just a couple things I've done. Not failsafe, to be certain, but better than the average 'Murican who praddles on through life completely unprepared and unaware.

Anyone here prep? I'm genuinely interested in what you all here do for such things.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I prep for hunkerin' down...

The Ozarks are full of natural bunkers with abundant game and water.

The territory is almost as inhospitable as the people...I fit in well.

On a popular TV series, Fear the Walking Dead, the subject of preppers has been central this season. And what do you know, as the season comes to an end, it is revealed that the preppers are racists and murderers.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Preppers are also by large majority Hillary supporters.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    On a popular TV series, Fear the Walking Dead, the subject of preppers has been central this season. And what do you know, as the season comes to an end, it is revealed that the preppers are racists and murderers.
    Well there you go. I must be a racist and a murderer. Oh and a Hillary supporter.... dafuq?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

I know some people think preppers are nuts, but my grandfather who is 95, had all these things in the 1930 and 40s. He lived through the great depression, world war, and political turmoil. He taught me that depression WILL happen again. WAR WILL happen again. It is foolish to think so and to not make the most basic preparations. I also think that being prepared is fundamentally libertarian. Self-reliance and self sufficiency. I will not be in line for a government handout if disaster strikes. I will not be herded into Katrina Style Fema Camps if natural/manmade disaster occurs. my friends and I will be ok come what may.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I know some people think preppers are nuts, but my grandfather who is 95, had all these things in the 1930 and 40s. He lived through the great depression, world war, and political turmoil. He taught me that depression WILL happen again. WAR WILL happen again. It is foolish to think so and to not make the most basic preparations. I also think that being prepared is fundamentally libertarian. Self-reliance and self sufficiency. I will not be in line for a government handout if disaster strikes. I will not be herded into Katrina Style Fema Camps if natural/manmade disaster occurs. my friends and I will be ok come what may.
    ^^^^^^^^Smart ^^^^^^

Although where you choose to live gives me pause.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    ^^^^^^^^Smart ^^^^^^

Although where you choose to live gives me pause.
    In the process of moving to Tonganoxie, KS. I was born in AZ and worked here, but I have the opportunity to promote/move to Kansas. Going to buy 10-15 acres in good farm country and have my hobby farm

- Diogenes of Sinope

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have powdered milk, more dry cereal to last me at least 3 months, multivitamins, pain killers and I am thinking about buying a pistol sometime soon. Other than that, I have nothing else going. I am a single(well in a relationship now), able bodied fairly young man with no kids, if $#@! hits the fan, I think I would be able to survive with very little prep on my own.

I might reconsider my plans if kids were involved.

Yeah , I think I will be alright .
    Do something Danke

In my mind. Just havent been able to bankroll it yet.

I'll just go around and kick everybody's ass and take their sh*t. I don't give a rats ass about your guns, punk. I will kick your ass before you can even think about it.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Through a long cold NH winter, "prepping" is a way of life.

I live in the Land of Preppers- and it is a wonderful way to face the unknown.
    There is no spoon.

Anyone else make basic preparations?

- Diogenes of Sinope

I would have thought this forum would have a lot more people in the prepper category.

- Diogenes of Sinope

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    prepped to hunker down.. food, water, weapons and ammo - in a horrible area to do so right now though
    still property hunting
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I live on a lake, abundant with fish and fowl. I have an artesian well with a high flow of pure drinking water. I have plenty of gold, silver and lead.

I think I'll be alright.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

In a grid down situation.. I'm screwed..
    Need solar powered appliances and window AC units
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I would have thought this forum would have a lot more people in the prepper category.
    I'd rather not talk about my shelves off ammo, spam and corned beef.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'd rather not talk about my shelves off ammo, spam and corned beef.
    I take great pride in my fried eggs and Spam while I count ammo.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I take great pride in my fried eggs and Spam while I count ammo.
    I've found the corned beef has a longer shelf life listed and I prefer it. But you can't go wrong with spam. Got some cans of tuna in there for the kid too.

I am. Not as good as I'd like to be, but I think I'm ahead of the herd. There is always areas for improvement.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I've found the corned beef has a longer shelf life listed and I prefer it. But you can't go wrong with spam. Got some cans of tuna in there for the kid too.
    In the apocalypse I'd be worried about mercury levels. I've got some smoked salmon sealed packages that are good for another 15 yrs I think.

Does mining bitcoins get me the prepper badge?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Depends , let me know what you can get with them when the time comes .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Depends , let me know what you can get with them when the time comes .
    I should be able to get some electricity out of them. I am sure the mining process is not 100% wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I dunno. Perhaps, if you interject some more low value posts into threads we can get to the bottom of it?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I dunno. Perhaps, if you interject some more low value posts into threads we can get to the bottom of it?
    IF you didn't quote him, some of us wouldn't have to be subjected to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast