Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Number Of Americans That Can’t Afford Their Own Homes Has More Than Doubled

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Still a better deal than renting. At least as an owner you get something for your money. As a renter, you get nothing and pay the owner's taxes for him. The rest is profits for him- if you are the owner, you get to keep that portion yourself. Then you end up with an asset you can sell. Me- I am glad I bought and paid mine off. If I rented, I would be paying at least three times as much for a similar place to live- that leaves a lot more money every year I can save or spend on other things. And its current worth is far more than the money I spent paying for it.
    Lies again. As a renter, I can leave a landlord at will...30 days notice. When Detroit went tits-up, people had to walk owning more than the house was worth, in a city with bureaucrats screwing their citizenry.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Yea but we have to live somewhere.
    Oh, I realize that, well aware of it.

I was just throwing that out there, seeing if I could troll up some action.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Lies again. As a renter, I can leave a landlord at will...30 days notice. When Detroit went tits-up, people had to walk owning more than the house was worth, in a city with bureaucrats screwing their citizenry.
    It is true you can leave more easily if you rent. If you like that ability to run off at a moment's notice, then owning will not suit you. I just like the idea of getting something in return for my rent money.

It is true you can leave more easily if you rent. If you like that ability to run off at a moment's notice, then owning will not suit you. I just like the idea of getting something in return for my rent money.
    Are you dabbling in real estate now?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Are you dabbling in real estate now?
    Only my own. You looking to invest? Rates are low and supplies not growing as fast as populations in many areas.

Why is a contract agreed to by two parties a scam?
    If the fact that the bank does not loan anybody anything and has no ability to create anything itself isn't enough to deem it a scam then I don't know what is. Do you deny that a "loan" is nothing more than a bank issuing someone their own credit?

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I asked a question. You went off on a tangent. I'm done here, because this is just silly.
    And I answered your question. You then deflected, added a side of ad hominem, and are now scurrying out of the thread before you show further ignorance or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I think I understand the Federal Reserve pretty well, it's basically a counterfeiting operation. But I'm not making the connection why that makes bank lending a scam.
    Here's the secret. Banks don't loan money. They issue you your own credit and then charge you for it. Credit that does not and can not exist without you to guarantee it into existence. A bank isn't a building, isn't an institution. It's a piece of paper and pieces of paper can not create anything and can not loan you anything. It is delusion to think otherwise.
    Last edited by devil21; 07-30-2017 at 02:00 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LibForestPaul

Renting would be as good of an investment as buying a fancy watch or a car- those depreciate rapidly. Buying a home is a much better one. They usually appreciate.
    They usually appreciate. Except when they don't. Stocks usually go up. Except when they don't.
    Owning a home and hoping it appreciates, and hoping the local government does not re-evaluate your fair tax burden after you have retire and hoping the local government does not bleed the coffers dry and hoping that those in power do not let your neighborhood go to $#@!, yeah, good investment advice.

They usually appreciate. Except when they don't. Stocks usually go up. Except when they don't.
    Owning a home and hoping it appreciates, and hoping the local government does not re-evaluate your fair tax burden after you have retire and hoping the local government does not bleed the coffers dry and hoping that those in power do not let your neighborhood go to $#@!, yeah, good investment advice.
    Many counties freeze taxes for those over 65.

Smart money says to search those out.

The Declaration did not create a country either. Papers can not create anything. It created a People united with a sense of purpose. The original Constitution (not the fraudulent Constitution substituted in the aftermath of the contrived Civil War) denoted what the People's inherent rights were, along with explicit restrictions on what was a necessary common defense required to defend those inherent rights.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Owners take better care of their property- they are less likely to go to $#@[/B]!. As for taxes, if taxes go up, rents also go up- renting is you paying somebody else's taxes. One good thing about California- property taxes are based on what you bought your property for- not what your neighbor pays for his. If local property values go up, your taxes are still based on what you paid for it. They can't raise your taxes if the guy next door sells his for twice what you got yours for. He pays twice the taxes but you don't. All of your complaints are also faced by renters- you don't avoid them by not buying.

Home prices have rarely gone down. But the value of an investment only matters twice- when you buy it and when you sell it. If it goes up and down in between does not matter. If you aren't selling a stock or a home it does not matter if the value falls for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I think there are times to rent and times to buy. Depends on your situation.
    Hard to disagree with that

LibForestPaul

Owners take better care of their property- they are less likely to go to $#@[/B]!. As for taxes, if taxes go up, rents also go up- renting is you paying somebody else's taxes. .
    Except when they don't. People who own large properties can and do 'donate' to local boards. Grandma does not. Again, more baloney.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Many counties freeze taxes for those over 65.

Smart money says to search those out.
    That's a good point but how screwed up is it where laws are age dependent like that?

That's more evidence that property tax is one of the worst types of tax. You can't even own the most important type of property.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    That's a good point but how screwed up is it where laws are age dependent like that?

That's more evidence that property tax is one of the worst types of tax. You can't even own the most important type of property.
    if you dont like it, maybe you should vote.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My reasons for buying it worked out great- that was the part about having a place paid for so I can have lower expenses when I eventually retire. It was an astute buy. I don't count the higher price it could sell for today since I do not intend to sell it- unless I either can no longer live here or have a financial crisis. I knew if I continued to just pay rent, my cost of living would continue to rise- not decline. That means you need to have even more money saved up to be able to retire at the same standard of living.

Again- might as well get something for money you have to spend anyways. Otherwise you are just throwing it away. I see that as smart- not absurd. To me, throwing away rent money is absurd.
    I just bought A Man for All Markets by Ed Thorp on Kindle. I came across this while reading. I don't fully agree but given that he is the smartest person in the world, it seems worthwhile to post it.

majority of American households own their own home. For many it is a large part of their wealth. How good an investment has it been? In 1952, one of my uncles and his wife paid $12,000 for a small one-story wood-and-stucco home in the working-class community of Torrance, California. In 2006, he sold his house near the peak of the real estate bubble, which was especially extreme in California. Despite the deterioration of his neighborhood into a
    borderline gang area, and the advanced age of his house, he netted about $480,000 after taxes and commissions. His investment multiplied forty times
    in fifty-four years, for a compound annual return of 7 percent. Also, his expenses of a few percent a year in property taxes and maintenance were less
    than what he would have paid to rent a similar property.

Although stories like this abound, my uncle was lucky. According to economist Robert Shiller, average US home prices after inflation increased from 1890 to 2004 by about 0.4 percent a year, with the rate being about 0.7 percent in the later 1940–2004 period. It follows from this that making a profit should not be a primary reason for owning your home. You can rent instead and do about as well financially. However, you may want, as I do, the non-quantified benefits of homeownership: You are your own boss, able to make changes and improvements at will without prior approval from a landlord. If you have a fixed-rate loan or have paid for your house in full, you have the security of knowing that your future monthly costs are controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I just bought A Man for All Markets by Ed Thorp on Kindle. I came across this while reading. I don't fully agree but given that he is the smartest person in the world, it seems worthwhile to post it.
    Kudos for saying 'net after commissions and taxes', it really puts things into perspective.

Making a profit shouldn't be the primary reason, but saving money is in effect making money, and most people still want that. Sadly, it's because people are thinking of making a profit that's led to bubbles.

I knew if I continued to just pay rent, my cost of living would continue to rise- not decline.
    Rent control. Bubble burst. Salary burst.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Making a profit shouldn't be the primary reason, but saving money is in effect making money, and most people still want that. Sadly, it's because people are thinking of making a profit that's led to bubbles.
    Cash loses value bro. People wouldn't be chasing their tails if not for the Fed.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Cash loses value bro. People wouldn't be chasing their tails if not for the Fed.
    that's what gold and house sellers want you to believe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234