Thread: Solar Power for

Solar Power for

Solar power.

I plan to live in an old Jayco 27 foot camper 2 months in spring and 2 months in fall in South Carolina while I fix up an old house.

Ideally I would have enough power to run circular saws and most power equipment while working in the day and have a small refriderator, computer, be able to make coffee and whatever else.

House needs total remodel and would entertain going total solar or alternative energy if the payback was worth the investment.

For now should I entertain using solar for most of my needs in the camper? I have a generator for excessive power usage.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The amps needed to run power tools like circular saws and the like would necessitate a lot of power. I would consider a battery pack (at least two batteries), run with something like a 200 Watt solar kit (I use Zamp Solar kits on my 23ft trailer).... and I would also invest in a decent 110 generator like the tried and true Honda EU2000.

That combo will meet your power needs, rain or sunshine, and allow you to run appliances and power tools... unless you're welding and need 220v... in which case you'd need a bigger genny
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I would also make sure you have at least 2 (possibly 4) 6v Deep Cycle Golf Cart batteries hooked up in Series/Parallel for max reserve capacity for dry camping. Using this hookup with a solar system will allow you to use more power without draining your batteries too much. Great for boondocking
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    The amps needed to run power tools like circular saws and the like would necessitate a lot of power. I would consider a battery pack (at least two batteries), run with something like a 200 Watt solar kit (I use Zamp Solar kits on my 23ft trailer).... and I would also invest in a decent 110 generator like the tried and true Honda EU2000.

That combo will meet your power needs, rain or sunshine, and allow you to run appliances and power tools... unless you're welding and need 220v... in which case you'd need a bigger genny
    Why did you choose Zamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Why did you choose Zamp?
    First off, my travel trailer was pre-wired for Zamp products. It already has the cable port installed and hooked up to the battery system. Second, they are high quality, portable, and come with the weather/water-proof charge monitor. I'm not that handy with electrical equipment so I didn't want to deal with complicated setups. This was simple and ready to use out of the box. There are other cheaper systems available with comparable power output, but this is just what we picked. We have the Zamp 120 system hooked up with our 2 6v deep cycle golf cart batts. It charges about 7-8 amps per hour. Using our power normally (minus AC of course) we have plenty of power.

- Diogenes of Sinope