Thread: Asia - Recommended readings?

Asia - Recommended readings?

Currently, my primary interests in regards to Asia include:

Opium Wars
    Chinese Imperial Examinations
    Civil Service Examinations (British India)
    British East India Company
    Caste System
    Mahatma Gandhi
    Christianity (ex: Attempted conversions in India, anti-Christian movements, Christian missionaries China, etc.)
    - Gandhi: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
    Roman Catholicism

That said, a book on anything will do.
    Last edited by uncharted; 07-04-2017 at 02:01 PM.
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." - Founding Father Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rape-Nanking-.../dp/0465068367
    The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II

In December 1937, the Japanese army swept into the ancient city of Nanking. Within weeks, more than 300,000 Chinese civilians and soldiers were systematically raped, tortured, and murdered-a death toll exceeding that of the atomic blasts of Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. Using extensive interviews with survivors and newly discovered documents, Iris Chang has written the definitive history of this horrifying episode.
    I suspect the Chinese still plan on getting their revenge someday.

@specsaregood,

Thanks. I’ve heard of Nanking a few years ago, but I've never read a book about it. I look forward to reading this one. Correct me if I’m wrong, but apparently there is a notable size of Nanking-deniers in Japan. Do you know the scale of tension occurring between said countries today? I wonder if North Korea would be a factor in such a suspected plan.
    Last edited by uncharted; 07-07-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." - Founding Father Thomas Jefferson

All that springs to mind ATM is "Burmese Days", FWIW, but that's fiction. If that's no help, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.