Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama urges world to stand against 'aggressive nationalism'

Barack Obama urges world to stand against 'aggressive nationalism'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ation-problems

Vincent Bevins, 1 July 2017

Former US president says countries must defend tolerance, moderation and respect for others or risk chaos and violence in speech in Indonesia

Barack Obama told an audience in Jakarta: ‘It’s been clear for a while that the world is at a crossroads.’ Photograph: Achmad Ibrahim/AP

Barack Obama has called on the world to stand up for tolerance, moderation and respect for others – warning that sectarian politics could lead to chaos and violence.

The former US president said some countries had adopted “an aggressive kind of nationalism” and “increased resentment of minority groups”, in a speech in Indonesia on Saturday that could be seen as a commentary on the US as well as Indonesia.

“It’s been clear for a while that the world is at a crossroads. At an inflection point,” Obama said, telling a Jakarta crowd stories of how much the capital had improved since he lived there as a child.

But he said that increased prosperity had been accompanied by new global problems, adding that as the world confronts issues ranging from inequality to terrorism, some countries – both developed and less developed – had adopted a more aggressive and isolationist stance.

“If we don’t stand up for tolerance and moderation and respect for others, if we begin to doubt ourselves and all that we have accomplished, then much of the progress that we have made will not continue,” he said.

“What we will see is more and more people arguing against democracy, we will see more and more people who are looking to restrict freedom of the press, and we’ll see more intolerance, more tribal divisions, more ethnic divisions, and religious divisions and more violence.”

Obama was born to a Kenyan father and an American mother, but after she married an Indonesian, the family moved to Jakarta in 1967 when he was six, and stayed for four years. The 44th US president made sure the crowd knew he could still speak some Indonesian.

He also spoke in direct support of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, whose own political movement has recently been rocked by the rise of intolerance in the world’s fourth most-populous country.

Widodo’s ally, Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, a Christian of Chinese descent widely known as Ahok was recently jailed while serving his term as Jakarta governor for making comments that were allegedly blasphemous.

Islamist groups had organised mass rallies to demand his imprisonment, and his sentence shocked his many liberal supporters around the country, leading analysts to question whether the stability of Indonesia’s plural democracy might be under threat from racial or religious tensions.

Obama called Widodo “a man of quiet but firm integrity and someone who sincerely wants to do what’s right for all Indonesians” and then made comments which a delighted crowd interpreted to be critical of how Ahok had been treated.

“My stepfather … was raised a Muslim but he respected Hindus and he respected Buddhists and he respected Christians,” he said, adding: “If you are strong in your own faith then you should not be worried about someone else’s faith.” The line earned raucous applause.

Obama never mentioned Donald Trump by name, but he chose a range of topics that could be seen to apply to politics in both Indonesia and the US, including fake news powered by social media, resentment, attacks on institutions, and ignorance of other peoples.

When asked about Trump’s exit from the Paris climate deal by Dino Patti Djalal, former ambassador to the US and organiser of the Indonesia Diaspora Conference, Obama sought to downplay the move’s impact.

“First of all, I think it’s important that even though the current US administration has signalled it is going to pull out, technically it’s not out yet,” he said. “Point two is that many of the changes that we locked in during my administration continue.”

Coming back to the overarching theme of “unity in diversity” – Indonesia’s official national motto – Obama warned again where a different path could lead.

“Let’s face it, if people do not show respect and tolerance, eventually you have war and conflict. Sooner or later societies break down.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who Cares?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

What about passive nationalism
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Who Cares?
    You should care. The former POTUS is spewing obvious lies. Lack of respect and tolerance leads to war. Not brushing your teeth is also a contributing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    You should care. The former POTUS is spewing obvious lies. Lack of respect and tolerance leads to war. Not brushing your teeth is also a contributing factor.
    Liberal scum spout these lies every day, now that he is out of office he is just another loud mouth.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    What about passive nationalism
    Nationalism is bad in general. You should strive to be more accepting of different cultures and values as your culture and values are not that important. Remember we are all in this together. The aliens will be landing next week and handing us scorecards for our diversity efforts. I plan on scoring A+. What about you?

How many drone deaths is that guy responsible for?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Not brushing your teeth is also a contributing factor.
    ^This. And don't forget to tongue scrape.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who Cares?
    Beat me to it.

Nationalism is bad in general. You should strive to be more accepting of different cultures and values as your culture and values are not that important. Remember we are all in this together. The aliens will be landing next week and handing us scorecards for our diversity efforts. I plan on scoring A+. What about you?
    I'll be expelled from their diversity program.

It would be one thing if he was talking about aggressive Israeli nationalism something akin to Zionism ot aggressive western imperialism which the man in the white house is aggressively supporting. I am still waiting to see aggressive American nationalism from anyone with real power in this country.

Yes, I read the article and despite the fact he did not mention Trump directly, I still think he was talking about DJT in his speech.

How about aggressive imperialism or aggressive globalism?

ETA: or what Jules said. I didn't see his post earlier.
    Last edited by RJB; 07-03-2017 at 05:50 AM.

What if I told you that you could be opposed to both globalism AND nationalism???

They are both equally as dangerous to liberty - just with differing speeds.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    somebody should send that to indonesia.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    It would be one thing if he was talking about aggressive Israeli nationalism something akin to Zionism ot aggressive western imperialism which the man in the white house is aggressively supporting. I am still waiting to see aggressive American nationalism from anyone with real power in this country.

Yes, I read the article and despite the fact he did not mention Trump directly, I still think he was talking about DJT in his speech.
    It will be all he has to talk about the next three years and there will be no original thoughts .
    Do something Danke

Buzz off Barry you warmongering globalist.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    umpteen

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    umpteen
    Nothing like hearing about diversity efforts from a schmuck like that.

Did the the neocons puppet dronegangsta buy that flag pin with his own funds or that is tax payers funded display of nationalism?

Who Cares?
    When one of the most notorios drone gangsters in history lectures against "aggressive nationalism", that is highly newsworthy story. Why would you not care about such a historic story if you care about political health of US?

Related

Graphic link: Aggressive nationalism gone wild

Missing picture:

I've always had the feeling that all along, Obama has actually been campaigning to be the leader of planet earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I've always had the feeling that all along, Obama has actually been campaigning to be the leader of planet earth.
    All the while leading from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Did the the neocons puppet dronegangsta buy that flag pin with his own funds or that is tax payers funded display of nationalism?

When one of the most notorios drone gangsters in history lectures against "aggressive nationalism", that is highly newsworthy story. Why would you not care about such a historic story if you care about political health of US?

Related

Graphic link: Aggressive nationalism gone wild

http://www.readingthepictures.org/20...lapel-edition/

I guess you can call this post fake news by omission. The source of the pictures are in the link above and you can see someone made an intentional decision not to post the middle picture. The question we should ask ourselves is if this decision was due to laziness, ignorance or just the desire to get some of that CNN attention and peddle fake news.

The sad thing is that Obama is such a scumbag that you don't need to make sh*t up in order to criticize him. Keep chipping away at little credibility you still have, you people are your own worst enemies. And btw, Obama is no longer the president

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    http://www.readingthepictures.org/20...lapel-edition/

I guess you can call this post fake news by omission. The source of the pictures are in the link above and you can see someone made an intentional decision not to post the middle picture. The question we should ask ourselves is if this decision was due to laziness, ignorance or just the desire to get some of that CNN attention and peddle fake news.

The sad thing is that Obama is such a scumbag that you don't need to make sh*t up in order to criticize him. Keep chipping away at little credibility you still have, you people are your own worst enemies. And btw, Obama is no longer the president
    Exactly.

And let us not forget that drone strikes started in 2004 under Bush, so at present we have 2 drone gangstas with one having 2x more years to drone. Trump may beat them both.

Since the inauguration of Donald J. Trump, drone strikes have increased over 400 percent.

As reported by Micah Zenko:

During President Obama’s two terms in office, he approved 542 such targeted strikes in 2,920 days — one every 5.4 days. From his inauguration through today, President Trump had approved at least 36 drone strikes or raids in 45 days — one every 1.25 days.
    https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...r-donald-trump
    There is no spoon.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No need to get emotional and worse collectivist when responding to an individual's quick response.

Thank you for the DD and correction. And you could have just have asked what the motivation was if you really had any doubts; it was to expose the dubious hypocrisy of a has-been puppetbag of neocons/his PSOs in a hurry ( apparently without investing as much time as you did to find a flaw in this response).
    Even if one of the image is in accurate, I still think the material argument is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Exactly.

And let us not forget that drone strikes started in 2004 under Bush, so at present we have 2 drone gangstas with one having 2x more years to drone. Trump may beat them both.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...r-donald-trump

Ender, an Obama apologist.

Ender, an Obama apologist.
    timosman, a guy w/no knowledge of real history.
    There is no spoon.

timosman, a guy w/no knowledge of real history.
    FFS, even you could do better than this.

FFS, even you could do better than this.
    FFS, even you should stop with the insults etc.
    There is no spoon.

FFS, even you should stop with the insults etc.
    Just put it on ignore like everyone else has done.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast