Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Jesus a Vegetarian?

Was Jesus a Vegetarian?

Name: Donna
    Question: I am constantly being told by people that Jesus was a vegetarian. I point them to Leviticus 11 and say if God wanted His children to be vegetarians, he would have never instructed us with the food laws.

What scriptures can I use to point this out to them?

Thank you and God Bless!
    Answer:

Name: Brandon T. Ward
    Answer: Donna, thank you for the question. You did really good here. As you pointed out to them in Leviticus 11 it tells us what meat we cannot eat, so by default that means any other meat was meant to be eaten. I am not sure how they could miss that? Let me point out, when we study God’s Word always apply common sense and critical thinking. This is absolutely critical in order to understand His Word on any real level.

No where in the Bible does it say we are to be a vegetarian, vegan or anything else. You can certainly do that if you like, but our Father knows our body best and He told us we can eat meat.

God’s Word documents several times that Christ not only ate meat Himself, but helped others to do so. Please turn your Bible with me to,

Luke 24:42
    42 “And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.”

The Him spoken of here is in fact Jesus Christ. You can document that for yourself by starting with verse 36 and then skip to verse 41 where Christ says, “Have ye here any meat?” In this 42nd verse the Disciples provided Christ with the meat He requested.

Luke 24:43
    43 “And he took it, and did eat before them.”

That is pretty clear. Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior took the broiled fish and ate it. There is no sin in that, it was clean food.

In Matthew 14:16-21 we can document that Christ performed a miracle and with just five loaves of bread and two fish which fed 5,000 men not counting the woman and children! As a side note, not only did this miracle feed 5,000 men in addition to their families, there were even leftovers.

As we close out this Bible Q&A I do want to include we are not to eat swine and shellfish among the other things documented in Leviticus 11. The Christian should understand those who eat swine are like smoke in the nose of God (Isaiah 65:4-5). That is a very irritating sensation, our Father is not pleased by it. He created our bodies and knows what is good and bad for them. Our Father never cleansed swine for consumption. I encourage those new to this topic to read the Bible Q&A linked below.

Additional Reading:
    Bible Q&A for 1-16-2015
    http://worldeventsandthebible.com/20...6-30-2017.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jesus also ate Passover every year which would have included goat or lamb.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

The Christian should understand those who eat swine are like smoke in the nose of God (Isaiah 65:4-5). That is a very irritating sensation, our Father is not pleased by it.
    I'm just a hopeless heathen. Smoked swine is heavenly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm just a hopeless heathen. Smoked swine is heavenly to me.
    You and me both, brother.

If God intended us not to eat swine, he would not have made bacon so good.

Matthew 15:11

It is not what enters one’s mouth that defiles that person; but what comes out of the mouth is what defiles one.” ~ Jesus

Pass the bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

TBH, I'm getting really tired of the typical "bacon tho" mentality. Bacon is cruel. Beyond cruel, it's nightmarish and completely cold-hearted.

Pigs are just as smart as dogs and arguably even smarter. Pigs have personalities, they clearly have emotions, they're not just objects, they're one of the most intelligent animals. And sadly, also one of the most tortured and abused animals of all.

As Christians we are called to be kind and merciful… We are not supposed to "think with our stomach" or have our mind set on earthly things. So I don't understand how anyone can think that their tastebuds are more important than anything else, including God's command for us to be merciful.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    TBH, I'm getting really tired of the typical "bacon tho" mentality. Bacon is cruel. Beyond cruel, it's nightmarish and completely cold-hearted.

Pigs are just as smart as dogs and arguably even smarter. Pigs have personalities, they clearly have emotions, they're not just objects, they're one of the most intelligent animals. And sadly, also one of the most tortured and abused animals of all.

As Christians we are called to be kind and merciful… We are not supposed to "think with our stomach" or have our mind set on earthly things. So I don't understand how anyone can think that their tastebuds are more important than anything else, including God's command for us to be merciful.

My food is killed humanely thank you very much.

Well maybe not the vegetables.....

No one has advocated torturing animals and I'm getting sick of the "torture, tho" mentality. Not one single person on this website has defended the conditions portrayed in your videos.

Jesus ate meat. Are you implying he wasn't merciful?
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Matthew 15:11

It is not what enters one’s mouth that defiles that person; but what comes out of the mouth is what defiles one.” ~ Jesus

Pass the bacon.
    That's a great verse, but has nothing to do with eating.

Just to be clear; eating swine is not a sin, it will just make you sick because the swine is a scavenger and it has no sweat glands so, all the toxins it eats, you eat. God made all things for a purpose. The swine was intended to clean the farms/land of the toxic things.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

Just to be clear; eating swine is not a sin, it will just make you sick because the swine is a scavenger and it has no sweat glands so, all the toxins it eats, you eat. God made all things for a purpose. The swine was intended to clean the farms/land of the toxic things.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Well maybe not the vegetables.....
    Many of the "humane" slaughter-houses are nearly as bad as factory farms. But, for the sake of argument, I'll grant that some killings are not as bad as others. That being said, one can argue that if someone doesn't want to die… in other words, has a very strong will to live, how humane is it to kill that animal at all, if it's not completely necessary?

The dictionary definition of humane is: characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy for people and animals, especially for the suffering or distressed

So based on that, how humane is it to take away the life of an intelligent being who has a strong will to live, for no reason other than our taste buds?
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Swines don't defecate and pee?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I assume my food is killed humanely also. That's good enough for my conscience
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Just as one shouldn't eat those fowl that are scavengers--hawk, eagle, owls, ravens...

Many of the "humane" slaughter-houses are nearly as bad as factory farms. But, for the sake of argument, I'll grant that some killings are not as bad as others. That being said, one can argue that if someone doesn't want to die… in other words, has a very strong will to live, how humane is it to kill that animal at all, if it's not completely necessary?

The dictionary definition of humane is: characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy for people and animals, especially for the suffering or distressed

So based on that, how humane is it to take away the life of an intelligent being who has a strong will to live, for no reason other than our taste buds?
    We obviously have different opinions on how to humanely treat livestock...

I don't buy meat from any slaughter house, my beef and pork are purchased live on the hoof and delivered to the local butcher who slaughters, ages and butchers them.

It's perfectly fine for you to value livestock as a pet, and I'd never even think about eating your pet, but please don't try to convince me that my livestock is your pet....Okay?

No one has advocated torturing animals and I'm getting sick of the "torture, tho" mentality. Not one single person on this website has defended the conditions portrayed in your videos.

Jesus ate meat. Are you implying he wasn't merciful?
    I realize that most people do not support the torture of animals. We've had this same discussion before. The fact is, the overwhelming majority of meat (something like 95-99%) comes from factory farms. So most people are in fact paying for the torture and abuse of animals, even if it is inadvertent.

As for Jesus, we've had this discussion before too. I do not believe that Jesus ate meat, I believe that a few of those verses that carnists always point to were mistranslated, and there is some evidence that one was even an interpolation. But one thing is for sure, he certainly didn't eat pig.

― Henry David Thoreau

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

If their living situation is so horrible and in-humane, then isn't killing them, the humane thing to do at that point?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

I know exactly what Jesus was talking about. And it does.

Matthew 15:11-20English Standard Version (ESV)

11 it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” 12 Then the disciples came and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” 13 He answered, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up. 14 Let them alone; they are blind guides.[a] And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.” 15 But Peter said to him, “Explain the parable to us.” 16 And he said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17 Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled?[b] 18 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. 20 These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.”
    * [15:15] Matthew specifies Peter as the questioner, unlike Mk 7:17. Given his tendency to present the disciples as more understanding than in his Marcan source, it is noteworthy that here he retains the Marcan rebuke, although in a slightly milder form. This may be due to his wish to correct the Jewish Christians within his church who still held to the food laws and thus separated themselves from Gentile Christians who did not observe them.
    http://www.usccb.org/bible/matthew/15

I'm fairly certain I've eaten more unclean things than pigs. IMO, a locally sourced well fed hog is healthier and cleaner than anything of that prepacked $#@! that's full of rat feces. Does the Bible say anything on eating rats?

Just to be clear, I know donna doesn't think prepacked rat feces are healthy, either. I was just slamming prepackaged food, in general. That's actually how I talk myself off the ledge when I think I want some of that garbage. I just tell myself how much poop is considered okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Swines don't defecate and pee?

Of course they do, but they eat their own feces.

109-Year-Old Woman Says Lots of Bacon Is the Key to a Long Life

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life...d-woman-bacon/
    - Kim Kardashian

In the old Testament they took animals to the alter for blood sacrifices. Of course those ordinances were done away with when Jesus was nailed to the cross. He sacrificed his blood for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    If their living situation is so horrible and in-humane, then isn't killing them, the humane thing to do at that point?
    Well, I think that tod was talking about pigs that didn't come from factory farms. But as for the ones who are in factory farms… no, I believe that the humane thing to do would be to rescue them from that nightmare and allow them to live in a place where they're treated with kindness and respect.

― Henry David Thoreau

I know exactly what Jesus was talking about. And it does.

http://www.usccb.org/bible/matthew/15

I'm fairly certain I've eaten more unclean things than pigs. IMO, a locally sourced well fed hog is healthier and cleaner than anything of that prepacked $#@! that's full of rat feces. Does the Bible say anything on eating rats?

Just to be clear, I know donna doesn't think prepacked rat feces are healthy, either. I was just slamming prepackaged food, in general. That's actually how I talk myself off the ledge when I think I want some of that garbage. I just tell myself how much poop is considered okay.
    Again it has nothing to do with eating per se. It was directed at the scribes and Pharisees who were upset with Jesus for not following their traditions. Which he was showing an act of civil disobedience and they were angry at him.

Matthew 15 (KJV)

15 Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,

2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.

3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;

6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:

11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.

16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

In the old Testament they took animals to the alter for blood sacrifices. Of course those ordinances were done away with when Jesus was nailed to the cross. He sacrificed his blood for all of us.
    Yes, I agree. Those sacrifices were only for a limited amount of time, with very strict guidelines, and they were a foreshadowing of the ultimate sacrifice, Jesus' death on the cross. I don't think that death and killing is something that God wants as the default. Because we can look at God's original will (in Genesis 1) and God's ultimate will (in the prophetic scriptures) to see that peace and harmony is what He actually wants.

― Henry David Thoreau

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

My sister had a dog once that ate his own vomit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Yes, I agree. Those sacrifices were only for a limited amount of time, with very strict guidelines, and they were a foreshadowing of the ultimate sacrifice, Jesus' death on the cross. I don't think that death and killing is something that God wants as the default. Because we can look at God's original will (in Genesis 1) and God's ultimate will (in the prophetic scriptures) to see that peace and harmony is what He actually wants.
    Of course God wants peace, however, so long as Satan is with us, there will be no peace. When Satan is kicked out of heaven, he will come here peacefully and prosperously and he will deceive all the world. Nevertheless, his time is very short.

Be wiser than the serpent and as peacefully as the dove.

Again it has nothing to do with eating per se. It was directed at the scribes and Pharisees who were upset with Jesus for not following their traditions. Which he was showing an act of civil disobedience and they were angry at him.
    I know that BUT then he goes on to say...

17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

Well, I think that tod was talking about pigs that didn't come from factory farms. But as for the ones who are in factory farms… no, I believe that the humane thing to do would be to rescue them from that nightmare and allow them to live in a place where they're treated with kindness and respect.
    This mindset is prevalent among the bleeding heart crowd but it's completely unrealistic...

Whether one views pigs as livestock or pets isn't relevant because both are owned by their owner.

I understand that many people like to keep cats as pets.............I'd rather have a hog if those were my only two choices.....And in some countries people eat cats, in other countries people don't eat cows or pigs...

You've got a real hard row to hoe if you're going to try and convince Joe or Jane Supermarket that their plasti-wrapped protein once had a soul and they should refrain from eating its brethren....But.............That'll be an easier sell than convincing the farmer or rancher to give up his bacon....

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    My sister had a dog once that ate his own vomit.
    Eww...dog is unclean too.

I know that BUT then he goes on to say...

Yes, it is a figure of speech. A Hebraism. Like paint the town red--you don't really paint it red.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast