Thread: Repealing the 2001 AUMF? A Surprise Vote by the House Appropriations Committee

Repealing the 2001 AUMF? A Surprise Vote by the House Appropriations Committee

Repealing the 2001 AUMF? A Surprise Vote by the House Appropriations Committee

By Robert Chesney Thursday, June 29, 2017, 2:27 PM

A pretty remarkable development in today's House Appropriations markup on the Defense Appopriations bill. For many years, Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) has been putting forward amendments intended to repeal or sunset the 2001 AUMF. They normally do not go anywhere. This morning she moved one that would terminate the 2001 AUMF in 240 days, and lo-and-behold the majority went along with it. It passed with only Kay Granger (R-TX) opposing.

https://twitter.com/RepBarbaraLee/st...54757999144960

Needless to say, it won't actually become law, but as Rep. Lee says it will at least force some debate, which is certainly not a bad thing. Better, however, if Congress were actually to debate and then vote on a refreshed and refined AUMF, as opposed to just making speeches for and against the status quo.
    https://www.lawfareblog.com/repealin...ions-committee
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Finally democrats are anti-war again. Only took them 14 years too.

4d chess?

Lee is my Congress Critter. I'm not sure how we explain this vote in light of the establishment wanting the easiest path to eternal war and given that the legislature is owned by the establishment. Maybe they expect the Senate to gut or remove it in reconciliation.

I do like that Lee, for whatever reason, went against the post 9-11 AUMF.