Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Public Schools Can Now Offer Bible Classes In Social Studies Curriculum

Kentucky Public Schools Can Now Offer Bible Classes In Social Studies Curriculum

Public schools in Kentucky can soon begin teaching Bible literacy courses thanks to a new bill that goes into effect Friday.
    Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin held a ceremonial public signing of House Bill 128, which officially passed in April, at the state’s Capitol on Tuesday. The bill grants schools the ability to establish elective social studies courses on the Hebrew scriptures and New Testament of the Bible.
    “The idea that we would not want this to be an option for people in school, that would be crazy,” Bevin said during the ceremony. “I don’t know why every state would not embrace this, why we as a nation would not embrace this.”
    The bill will “require that the course provide to students knowledge of biblical content, characters, poetry, and narratives that are prerequisites to understanding contemporary society and culture, including literature, art, music, mores, oratory, and public policy.”
    Rep. D.J. Johnson (R-Owensboro), one of the bill’s sponsors, said the courses will aim to teach students about the Bible’s impact on American history.
    “It really did set the foundation that our founding fathers used to develop documents like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights,” Johnson told local news outlet WDRB 41. “All of those came from principles from the Bible.”
    Kentucky joins a number of states, including Arizona and Georgia, that have passed bills in recent years allowing public schools to teach elective Bible classes. A 1963 Supreme Court ruling deemed such instruction to be constitutional as long as it isn’t devotional and is “presented objectively as part of a secular program of education.”

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-...203532404.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ummm, is it too hard to ask someone to go to a church for Bible history? To go to a synagogue for Tora history? A mosque for the history of the Quran?

I understand it would be a bitch to teach a class on the Crusades without adding relevant religious content. But, for the most part let religious institutions do what they were created for. Indoctrinating. Beginners level fundamentals. If it's taught by the anointed of these sects then have them fill out a form and have the school give an elective credit. No extra cost for a curriculum or teachers or controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ummm, is it too hard to ask someone to go to a church for Bible history? To go to a synagogue for Tora history? A mosque for the history of the Quran?

I understand it would be a bitch to teach a class on the Crusades without adding relevant religious content. But, for the most part let religious institutions do what they were created for. Indoctrinating. Beginners level fundamentals. If it's taught by the anointed of these sects then have them fill out a form and have the school give an elective credit. No extra cost for a curriculum or teachers or controversy.
    The bill grants schools the ability to establish elective social studies courses on the Hebrew scriptures and New Testament of the Bible.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The bill grants schools the ability to establish elective social studies courses on the Hebrew scriptures and New Testament of the Bible.
    But, from the first sentence in your article it says that the schools will teach it.

Public schools in Kentucky can soon begin teaching Bible literacy courses thanks to a new bill that goes into effect Friday.
    Perhaps, I used the wrong word. Instead of an "elective" course I should have just said a "curriculum credit." I can see were my terminology was errant.

I don't care if it is an elective or not. Public schools shouldn't teach Bible studies. Or Quran studies. Or Tora studies. Ministers of the faith should. Public schools are so $#@!ed up in every way it'd be a sin to entrust religious indoctrination to them.

Perhaps, I used the wrong word. Instead of an "elective" course I should have just said a "curriculum credit." I can see were my terminology was errant.

Now if only some of the other subject matter that isn't reading, writing and 'rythmetic were presented as an elective........

But, from the first sentence in your article it says that the schools will teach it.

I don't care if it is an elective or not. Public schools shouldn't teach Bible studies. Or Quran studies. Or Tora studies. Ministers of the faith should. Public schools are so $#@!ed up in every way it'd be a sin to entrust religious indoctrination to them.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul
    I understand it would be a bitch to teach a class on the Crusades without adding relevant religious content.

Rep. D.J. Johnson (R-Owensboro), one of the bill’s sponsors, said the courses will aim to teach students about the Bible’s impact on American history.
    “It really did set the foundation that our founding fathers used to develop documents like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights,” Johnson told local news outlet WDRB 41. “All of those came from principles from the Bible.”

It is relevant to most of western history, get over it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is relevant to most of western history, get over it.
    I'm not saying that it's not. Did I say that? And why is only western history relevant to you? What about eastern history? Should there be an elective in Buddhism too?

Once upon a time it was the parents responsibility to bring their children up in the faith of their choice. Now you want the government to do it? SMDH.

get over it.
    $#@! you!

Ball's in your court....

And why is only western history relevant to you? What about eastern history? Should there be an elective in Buddhism too?
    America is part of the west therefore western history is more important to us, if the school has enough budget to expand into Asian history then an elective to understand Buddhism/Taoism/Confucianism etc would be acceptable as many as the budget could handle, of course the local tax base might only wish to pay for the essential courses in western history.

Once upon a time it was the parents responsibility to bring their children up in the faith of their choice. Now you want the government to do it? SMDH.
    I want them to teach history, They are not allowed to proselytize the kids to be Baptists or Mormons etc., whether you like it or not the Bible affected history in profound ways, you can't teach history properly without it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOLZ
    Government can't get history right. So yeah, let's have 'em teach the Bible.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

America is part of the west therefore western history is more important to us, if the school has enough budget to expand into Asian history then an elective to understand Buddhism/Taoism/Confucianism etc would be acceptable as many as the budget could handle, of course the local tax base might only wish to pay for the essential courses in western history.
    You sound like a progressive. Just need a bigger budget.

I want them to teach history, They are not allowed to proselytize the kids to be Baptists or Mormons etc., whether you like it or not the Bible affected history in profound ways, you can't teach history properly without it.
    And, again, tell me were I've said you can't teach history without including religion?

Ten Commandments and our laws...let's run that over with our cars.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    LOLZ
    No $#@!. He probably loves the idea that government is wrapped up into what should be secular marriages.

You sound like a progressive. Just need a bigger budget.
    No I would vote for less budget and therefore only the essential western history, I merely said that as a matter of philosophy I would not object to eastern history including eastern religions.

And, again, tell me were I've said you can't teach history without including religion?
    I am saying that, YOU are arguing that history should be taught without it. Can't you keep track of your own position? or are you just trolling? Or Drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOLZ
    Until they quit running schools, they should be required to teach history right, with religion included.

No $#@!. He probably loves the idea that government is wrapped up into what should be secular marriages.
    Sorry to disagree with the good doctor but since marriage is related to Inheritance, Parental Rights, End of life decision Rights, Divorce settlements and many other valid legal questions government must have a definition of marriage, and it should be the Classic one.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Until they quit running schools, they should be required to teach history right, with religion included.
    Sure, SUDDENLY public schools won't have an agenda, cuz, the Bible. Why anyone would want their filthy hands on their kid's faith is dumbfounding.
    -Albert Camus

Until we have a smaller military we should just continue undeclared war against foreign nations.

Sorry to disagree with the good doctor but since marriage is related to Inheritance, Parental Rights, End of life decision Rights, Divorce settlements and many other valid legal questions government must have a definition of marriage, and it should be the Classic one.
    It's called a contract.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's called a contract.
    But it's a SPECIAL contract, between a wee-wee ad a hoo-ha. Sacred genitalia.
    -Albert Camus

Sure, SUDDENLY public schools won't have an agenda, cuz, the Bible. Why anyone would want their filthy hands on their kid's faith is dumbfounding.
    So you would rather have them push secularism?
    You and I can find common ground in that I want to end public schools, but until then they should be required to acknowledge the Bible's role in history.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So you would rather have them push secularism?
    You should know better.
    This can only result in the secularization of the Bible.
    You want public employees spinning your faith to your kids?
    -Albert Camus

Until we have a smaller military we should just continue undeclared war against foreign nations.
    Not the same, it would be more like "Until we have a smaller military they should be patrolling our borders where they belong".

It's called a contract.
    No it is not the same, and thousands of years of legal history and doctrine recognize that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You should know better.
    This can only result in the secularization of the Bible.
    You want public employees spinning your faith to your kids?
    You and I can find common ground in that I want to end public schools, but until then they should be required to acknowledge the Bible's role in history.

But why do you think the left fights so hard to get the bible out of the schools, because their secular religion of evolution and humanism sells better in a vacuum.
    Any recognition of the Bible in school is better than none, I will always be in favor of an improvement, then I will push for more, like ending public schools.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But why do you think the left fights so hard to get the bible out of the schools, because their secular religion of evolution and humanism sells better in a vacuum.
    Any recognition of the Bible in school is better than none, I will always be in favor of an improvement, then I will push for more, like ending public schools.
    The worm has turned, my friend. What you consider "teaching the bible" and what they will do, are very different. Guaranteed, it will be taught in a progressive context...as is EVERYTHING in public schools. They will seek to undermine everything that parents of faith have instilled in their children.
    -Albert Camus

I'm done. Ignorance begets and Swordsmyth is a perfect example. Y'all have fun.

I'm done. Ignorance begets and Swordsmyth is a perfect example. Y'all have fun.
    See you later Heathen.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I were to spend energy trying to reform public school curriculum (I'd rather spend that energy trying to abolish the public schools), there would be much higher priorities than adding Christianity courses: e.g. adding economics courses, or history courses which aren't communist propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    If I were to spend energy trying to reform public school curriculum (I'd rather spend that energy trying to abolish the public schools), there would be much higher priorities than adding Christianity courses: e.g. adding economics courses, or history courses which aren't communist propaganda.
    I'd rather spend the energy getting rid of public schools as well, but Kentucky did this at no energy cost to me and it is a good thing.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'd rather spend the energy getting rid of public schools as well, but Kentucky did this at no energy cost to me and it is a good thing.
    I think it's a fairly meaningless thing. What do you expect to change as a result? Suppose every school in the country does this.

I think it's a fairly meaningless thing. What do you expect to change as a result? Suppose every school in the country does this.
    The main purpose is to teach the children that America was founded by Christians on Christian principles.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The main purpose is to teach the children that America was founded by Christians on Christian principles.
    Apart from being largely untrue, I don't see what that would accomplish.

If their image of America remains the distortion presented in the aforementioned propaganda, bringing in religion may make matters worse.

1st Period: "FDR saved America by preventing the rapacious robber barons from starving children and old people..."

2nd Period: "...and these principles on which America is founded can be found in the word of God."

Apart from being largely untrue, I don't see what that would accomplish.

If their image of America remains the distortion presented in the aforementioned propaganda, bringing in religion may make matters worse.

1st Period: "FDR saved America by preventing the rapacious robber barons from starving children and old people..."

2nd Period: "...and these principles on which America is founded can be found in the word of God."
    They are already bombarded with that kind of propaganda, That is why ending public school is more important.
    But the ACLU would like to convince the public that America was not a Christian nation for many different malicious purposes, and it is good that children will be taught otherwise.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast