Thread: Why don't States pay their Senators and Reps?

Question Why don't States pay their Senators and Reps?

Why let them pay themselves out of our pockets?
    The state legislatures should set and provide their pay.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who else do you think is going to pay? Elected people are never going to use their own money for anything. They're parasites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Who else do you think is going to pay? Elected people are never going to use their own money for anything. They're parasites.
    Of course their pay will come from taxes, the point is that they should not be the ones to set their own pay/benefits.
    The state legislatures should be the ones to pay them out of the state budget.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Of course their pay will come from taxes, the point is that they should not be the ones to set their own pay/benefits.
    The state legislatures should be the ones to pay them out of the state budget.
    Is Congressional pay really a big issue? There already is a check on Congressional pay. People get outraged every time Congress considers a pay increase. That's why they don't increase salaries often.

Staffers get paid peanuts and live in a expensive area. Most Congressmen make less than they would in the private sector and have the expense of living in two places. They also give up a year of their life to run for Congress without a guarantee of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Is Congressional pay really a big issue? There already is a check on Congressional pay. People get outraged every time Congress considers a pay increase. That's why they don't increase salaries often.

Staffers get paid peanuts and live in a expensive area. Most Congressmen make less than they would in the private sector and have the expense of living in two places. They also give up a year of their life to run for Congress without a guarantee of winning.
    Let's look at the grift and how well their investments magically perform.

eg:
    The study, “Abnormal Returns From the Common Stock Investments of Members of the U.S. House of Representatives,” is a real eye-opener. Using the financial disclosures of politicians, the research team built model portfolios and charted their performance. They found that House members “earn statistically significant positive abnormal returns,” outperforming the market by 6 percentage points.

Senators do even better, the authors say, citing their own earlier research from 2004. Senate portfolios “show some of the highest excess returns ever recorded over a long period of time, significantly outperforming even hedge fund managers,” with gains that are “both economically large and statistically significant.”

They beat the market, my friends, by 10 percentage points a year.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/bu...ket-essay.html
    Last edited by specsaregood; 06-27-2017 at 06:14 PM.

I have no problem with that . I really do not care about the salary though as much as benefits and terms .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Let's look at the grift and how well their investments magically perform.

That is separate issue. I was speaking just of what the taxpayers have to shell out and for people who do things the right way.

I just rewatched the 60 Minutes from a few years back. That is pretty ridiculous how blatant members of Congress are with insider trading because it is legal for them.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 06-27-2017 at 07:15 PM.

That is separate issue. I was speaking just of what the taxpayers have to shell out and for people who do things the right way.
    It is somewhat separate; but at the same time I thought it was worth mentioning when you talked about how "little" they make. Lets also not forget the other benefits like their lifetime pension for what 2 terms? 4 years? That's a hell of a pay off.

I just rewatched the 60 Minutes from a few years back. That is pretty ridiculous how blatant members of Congress are with insider trading because it is legal for them.
    indeed it is.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have no problem with that . I really do not care about the salary though as much as benefits and terms .
    It is somewhat separate; but at the same time I thought it was worth mentioning when you talked about how "little" they make. Lets also not forget the other benefits like their lifetime pension for what 2 terms? 4 years? That's a hell of a pay off.
    The Benefits are they main issue and they do not get as much attention.
    And I know that this is a smaller issue than many but the principle occurred to me and I thought it should be added to the conversation here.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Benefits are they main issue and they do not get as much attention.
    And I know that this is a smaller issue than many but the principle occurred to me and I thought it should be added to the conversation here.
    yeah, let's call being exempt from insider trading laws a benefit too.

yeah, let's call being exempt from insider trading laws a benefit too.
    I resent that as much as you do, but it is off the topic of this thread.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I stared at the OP for about five minutes trying to make sense of it before I realized the title refers to federal senators and reps...

Anyway, having the states provide congressional pay wouldn't really make a difference IMO: not just because the amounts are trivial, but because the states have an incentive to grease their congressmen anyway, to get them to bring home the bacon, so it's not clear that pay would actually decline. It might even increase, as there would likely be less public scrutiny if compensation decisions were made at the state level.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I stared at the OP for about five minutes trying to make sense of it before I realized the title refers to federal senators and reps...

Anyway, having the states provide congressional pay wouldn't really make a difference IMO: not just because the amounts are trivial, but because the states have an incentive to grease their congressmen anyway, to get them to bring home the bacon, so it's not clear that pay would actually decline. It might even increase, as there would likely be less public scrutiny if compensation decisions were made at the state level.
    Perhaps their compensation packages should require a nationwide vote then?
    It is glaringly obvious that they should not get to decide what pay and benefits to give to themselves.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Perhaps their compensation packages should require a nationwide vote then?
    Which will cost how much?

It is glaringly obvious that they should not get to decide what pay and benefits to give to themselves.
    If you want to avoid that, you could just eliminate compensation altogether - which was the historical norm in many places.

But it doesn't really matter.

Not paying them or paying them less won't improve their behavior (if anything, the opposite), and the pay itself is a pittance.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Which will cost how much?

Nothing if you attach it to the next Presidential or House election ballot.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Maybe if we increased their pay by $1,000 per billion $ of real spending cuts they would change their behavior for the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Maybe if we increased their pay by $1,000 per billion $ of real spending cuts they would change their behavior for the better.
    Or connect it to the deficit/surplus, no surplus no pay.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That would help, the Singaporean government does something like that with the bureaucrats.

Better yet, convert the US government into a joint stock company and divide the shares amongst them.

Then they'd be owners with rational incentives to increase the value of their property.

...rather than despoilers of a commons, as they are now.

Or connect it to the deficit/surplus, no surplus no pay.
    That would be far better. But there's no way they'd vote for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

...which is why none of these schemes is a good, long-term solution.

Aligning their incentives with whatever goal we have (increases in GDP, cuts in spending, whatever) doesn't accomplish much if they hold their jobs at the pleasure of people whose incentives aren't so aligned (i.e. voters and/or special interests). Think of the business world. You can pay a CEO in stock, but that doesn't do any good if the CEO serves at the pleasure of a board of directors who are paid a flat salary - the CEO will spend his time trying to please the board rather than trying to grow the company, even though it means lower income (lower income is better than getting fired).

Hence, if you really want to make Congress responsible, nix elections and make them owners.

We would need a Constitutional amendment, and a movement to push it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's the unseen money they get that troubles me more and influences their vote.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner