Thread: AMD and NVIDIA go after Bitcoin miners with new video cards

AMD and NVIDIA go after Bitcoin miners with new video cards

Dedicated digital currency miners know the importance of good graphics cards -- modern GPUs have enough general-purpose computing power to process money formats like Bitcoin much faster than a CPU alone. They've never really been suited for non-stop number crunching, though, and it looks like both AMD and NVIDIA hope to change that. CNBC has discovered that ASUS is making currency mining-oriented video cards using both vendors' chipsets. The AMD-based Mining RX 470 and NVIDIA-based Mining P106 are ultimately using off-the-shelf GPUs (the RX 470 and GTX 1060 respectively), but are fine-tuned for running around the clock.
    The two boards use special dual ball bearing fans that are smoother-running and more dust-resistant. You won't have to worry so much about your card dying after running 24/7 for months on end. ASUS isn't making any further optimization claims about the RX 470 variant (the tuner software is the same as for its regular cards), but it claims that the P106 is up to 36 percent faster than an unoptimized card at churning through cryptocurrency hashes.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-n...201100478.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They aren't for bitcoin, they are for other cryptocurrencies that don't have ASIC miners yet, like ethereum, zcash, etc.....

Stack up some Jetson TX2 instead:

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I didn't think Bitcoin or other mining was realistic anymore after the expense of all this hardware and the electricity to run it all.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I didn't think Bitcoin or other mining was realistic anymore after the expense of all this hardware and the electricity to run it all.
    For bitcoin, it's not worth it anymore to run on traditional GPUs due to power consumption and increased difficulty. But it can still be profitable to run on lower powered specialized devices like ASIC, and possibly FPGA or SoC boards.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul