Thread: Illinois debt is about to be rated 'junk.' What that means

Illinois debt is about to be rated 'junk.' What that means

Illinois is on track to become the first U.S. state to have its credit rating downgraded to "junk" status, which would deepen its multibillion-dollar deficit and cost taxpayers more for years to come.

S&P Global Ratings has warned the agency will likely lower Illinois' creditworthiness to below investment grade if feuding lawmakers fail to agree on a state budget for a third straight year, increasing the amount the state will have to pay to borrow money for things such as building roads or refinancing existing debt.

Ratings agencies have been downgrading Illinois' credit rating for years, though they've accelerated the process as the stalemate has dragged on between Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and the Democrats who control the General Assembly.

The agencies are concerned about Illinois' massive pension debt, as well as a $15 billion backlog of unpaid bills and the drop in revenue that occurred when lawmakers in 2015 allowed a temporary income tax increase to expire.

"In our view, the unrelenting political brinkmanship now poses a threat to the timely payment of the state's core priority payments," S&P stated when it dropped Illinois' rating to one level above junk, which was just after lawmakers adjourned their regular session on May 31 without a deal.

Moody's did the same, stating: "As the regular legislative session elapsed, political barriers to progress appeared to harden, indicating both the severity of the state's challenges and the political difficulty of advocating their solutions."

What is a 'junk' rating?

Think of it as a credit score, but for a state (or city or county) instead of a person.

When Illinois wants to borrow money, it issues bonds. Investors base their decision on whether to buy Illinois bonds on what level of risk they're willing to take, informed greatly by the rating that agencies like Moody's assign.

A junk rating means the state is at a higher risk of repaying its debt. At that point, many mutual funds and individual investors — who make up more than half the buyers in the bond market — won't buy. Those willing to take a chance, such as distressed debt investors, will only do so if they are getting a higher interest rate.

While no other state has been placed at junk, counties and cities such as Chicago, Atlantic City and Detroit have. Detroit saw its rating increased back to investment grade in 2015 as it emerged from bankruptcy — an option that by law, states don't have.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/25/illin...hat-means.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Upcoming false flag?

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-25-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    They were withholding lottery winnings until a court order forced them to pay the winners.

There were also failing to send out renewal notices on automobile license and driver license renewals ... then hitting the owners/drivers up for penalty payments if they failed to realize those items were due.
    I think about 2012/2013 they raised the cigarette tax by 1 dollar per pack .
    Do something Danke

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-25-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Per http://www.newser.com/story/245010/i...y-tickets.html
    Powerball officials have informed Illinois that it's no longer permitted to sell Powerball tickets after 28JUN (Wednesday, earlier this week).
    Mega Millions officials did the same, informing them that they won't be permitted to sell Mega Millions tickets after 30JUN (Tonight, Friday).
    It looks like the lottery companies learned from the earlier episode.
    I guess I'll have to drive across the river to St. Louis if I want to pay my tax on people who are bad at math.
    Don't bother. It's rigged.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...o-Win-Millions
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    The only part of Ill. that might possibly, by some strange quirk, be considered "beautiful" is the flat over-farmed plains section in the middle of the state and that's only when there's been sufficient rain....

The rest of the state is severely overpopulated and in need of a plague.
    Last edited by tod evans; 06-30-2017 at 03:27 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The only parts of Ill. that might possibly, by some strange quirk, be considered "beautiful" is the flat over-farmed plains section in the middle of the state and that's only when there's been sufficient rain....

The rest of the state is severely overpopulated and in need of a plague.

Tod Evans wants people to die. It's his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tod evans again.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tod evans again.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Illinois Blows Budget Deadline, Pushing It Closer to Junk Rating

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/illinois-blows-budget-deadline-pushing-040100456.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Too late to save Illinois without drastic measures . I would give Chicago to Canada , remove illinois from statehood and make it a territory and attach a financial head as Governor, fire all legislatures , scrap the public school system ,cut all taxes by half and make the remaining half pay for whatever services remaining that are provided or scrap those services one by one until budget is balanced. Then see if further adjustments are needed a couple years later , probably not .
    Do something Danke

While a junk-rating would be a truly outstanding development, let us bear in mind the trustworthiness of Moody's, S&P, etc. in light of their shenanigans that lead up to the 2008 bursting of the bubble.

Their lack of credibility aside, such a rating would still be better than the status quo.

I am anxious to get on with this apocalypse thing.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.